• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 39144

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Guys, it is new IP. I've heard it from sources I can't disclose, but the game will be called Joanna Dark: A Perfect Carrington Institute Adventure.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I'm kind of saddened and excited at the same time if it is indeed Perfect Dark. This and a Fable reboot could be great games but I also think Microsoft has had nothing but bad luck or poor management when it comes to new IP's. They should still keep going in that direction though. Everwild is nice and all but I want more AAA new IP's.

Didn't Rod leave recently?
You think Bungie would ever say prior to their exodus that MS wasn't allowing them to make something new? They said over and over they were excited to make Halo their passion was Halo until we found out it wasn't. You're all so naive it's crazy
Yes Rod left and guess where he went? To go work with Blizzard and help the Diablo franchise.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't going to be forced they are going to be formed for that purpose. It's not like they put these studios together and then say - "Hey guys what do you want to make?" They come to them with the proposal. We already saw that with Shanghai once that studio was formed they switched Gears (ha and went with Gears) you think everyone in that office was thinking - "Man screw this Mission Impossible game let's make Gears 4"

Phil said the studio head of TI was given a blank canvas and that he was considering something new vs revisiting something from the past.

Given Darrell Gallagher's work on the Tomb Raider reboot, it's not that hard to imagine he could have wanted to reimagine another IP.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
The Initiative is a newly formed studio. I think it is a great idea to kickstart a new studio by providing them with an established IP while growing and hiring talent.

Of course, one could argue to what extent Perfect Dark is an established IP.

Though, working on an old IP is perfectly fine as a first project. You just have to let the studios work on something else in the future and not be tied to the IP, which is something The Coalition is struggling with right now imo.

Speaking of The Coalition, wasn't there a rumor that they were working on Perfect Dark?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The Initiative is a newly formed studio. I think it is a great idea to kickstart a new studio by providing them with an established IP while growing and hiring talent.

Of course, one could argue to what extent Perfect Dark is an established IP.

Though, working on an old IP is perfectly fine as a first project. You just have to let the studios work on something else in the future and not be tied to the IP, which is something The Coalition is struggling with right now imo.

Speaking of The Coalition, wasn't there a rumor that they were working on Perfect Dark?

Long time ago. But whats being going on since then it seems that Coalition is in some way "involved' with the project. In what capacity we need to wait.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I'm excited for Everwild and whatever new IP gets announced but there are some old IPs with so much potential. A new Viva Pinata for example has a chance to be as unique and bring more to gaming than any new IP that is very similar to another franchise.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Well this thread to a nice turn
tenor.gif

Can't wait to see what the Initiative does with the PD IP if it is indeed a Perfect Dark game. Hopefully set in a open world with a beautiful futuristic city.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Phil said "Shangheist" wasnt a real thing. :)
I'm pretty sure he only said that it wasn't called Shangheist.

So you have a company known for basically making shit up to drum up fanbase support and you guys are all like TRUST PHIL.
Stockholm is real.
He's mistaken. Shangheist was once thrown around on forums as the codename for Black Tusk's project. Phil only deconfirmed that it was called Shangheist at one point.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Third person would be great if it ends up being Perfect Dark. But is it from a reliable source?

I'd say as reliable as everything else, its just rumors that have been kicking around for the past year or two (?).

Microsofts event should be coming in less than a month now (maybe even next week), so we should find out soon.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is just a small list of the type of talent TI has. They have a lot of talent from some of the most acclaimed third person action games.
It seems like The Initiative has the potential to create and deliver the most "PlayStation" experience for Xbox yet.

Can't wait to see what they have got cooking up.

Oct 25, 2017
That constant desire for new IP is the most stupid thing I've read in quite some time.
  1. Xbox announced three new IP - 5 months ago.
  2. Stop acting like a new IP somehow equals being a better game. It doesn't. It never will.
  3. Stop acting like as if "Perfect Dark" - a 20-year-old IP - has any kind of design principles that limit your vision. It hasn't. You basically create a new universe with Joanna Dark as the hero.
  4. Xbox needs more IP revivals to strengthen its IP catalog and build at "IP identity". Not less.
  5. Xbox is sitting on a gold-mine of exciting universes. With now 15 studios, it's time to finally use them and deliver fan-service.
  6. It's about the balance of new IP/revivals. Phil stated it perfectly: "Some fans are asking for new IP. Some fans are asking to bring back games from our past. The balance between both is important. The mix that we have coming up is really strong there and it's something we spend a lot of time on. In the end, it's about shipping a great game."

4 New IP`s in five months

- Everwild
- Tell Me Why
- Grounded
- Project Mara

But...

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So you have a company known for basically making shit up to drum up fanbase support and you guys are all like TRUST PHIL.
Stockholm is real.
You think Phil would lie about a project for the internet? How would he even manage that internally with the "supposed" team ? Your going into conspiracy theory territory, yikes.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm confused by the people annoyed with Perfect Dark since it isn't new IP. It has been dormant for so long that it's perfect - it hits the nostalgia for long-time fans while being completely revamped for modern gaming. For most people, it might as well be new IP. For the rest, it will be a callback to Xbox's history while offering a completely fresh take on a dormant franchise.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Oh calm down you guys I'm only like 10% serious. Except for Prine I worry about that dude. Ill buy it if its good but I just wanted something new. I'm stuck in the house bored out of my mind the least I can do is argue about asinine stuff

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused by the people annoyed with Perfect Dark since it isn't new IP. It has been dormant for so long that it's perfect - it hits the nostalgia for long-time fans while being completely revamped for modern gaming. For most people, it might as well be new IP. For the rest, it will be a callback to Xbox's history while offering a completely fresh take on a dormant franchise.
Basically. I don't see the problem. It's so old many will see it as a new IP. You're bringing an old IP into modern times. Don't think you're getting what you got back then to shit on it

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Tbf there has been a long-running beef between Perfect Dark and Soulsborne fans ever since Perfect Dark Zero won that award for being the most hardcore title of last generation, I imagine a lot of this stems from that.

(And rightly so tbh, Perfect Dark Zero dark agent was way harder than Dark Souls).

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say as reliable as everything else, its just rumors that have been kicking around for the past year or two (?).

Microsofts event should be coming in less than a month now (maybe even next week), so we should find out soon.
Ok cool. I hope it's going to have strong stealth mechanics. There's definitely more room for TPS/stealth games in the industry (damn Splinter Cell never coming out!).

Yeah, can't wait for the reveal event and luckily it's going to be soon. I think Microsoft has the potential to surprise a lot of people with their XGS games.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Only Stockholm that matters

Stockholm-Money-Heist-d5d155f.jpg

Hahaha oh I love you Etta she is indeed

Tbf there has been a long-running beef between Perfect Dark and Soulsborne fans ever since Perfect Dark Zero won that award for being the most hardcore title of last generation, I imagine a lot of this stems from that.

(And rightly so tbh, Perfect Dark Zero dark agent was way harder than Dark Souls).

Haha this is likely it.

Takeah your feetza to Daddy Green's pizza

Bro you can't use that against me and make me feel warm and fuzzy don't sap me from my strength to fight a stupid argument what else am I going to do today!