• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
A switch pro as powerful as a base PS4 would be enough for me. Has that tech be shrunk down enough to fit in a handheld?

A base PS4 is just under 2 teraflops while the current Switch is around 1. I'm interested to see if it's possible to essentially double performance without affecting battery life...

Vyahdis

Dec 5, 2017
Ugh. I just brought a switch toward the end of 2019. Doesn't make sense that there would not be major performance increases if a model did come out though.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone PM a mod and tell them to blacklist WCCFtech? They're widely known to be the opposite of a reliable source.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
The current Switch can get hot at times and I couldn't imagine how hot it would get if it was working harder to output at 4K. Might not be a pleasant handheld experience. Maybe I'm totally wrong of course since I don't know about the tech.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
will also have 20 hours battery life and a 8k screen just to make sure the numbers are high enough otherwise gamers will be upset

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imo it makes most sense to launch a Switch Pro with BotW 2 this Holiday to stay relevant when the new consoles launch.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
They'd have to drop the USB Type C connector then.

They could use Thunderbolt 3 with a USB-C connector like the MacBooks. If that's too expensive for Nintendo maybe they can wait for USB 4.0 that should be as fast as Thunderbolt 3 and could release in 2021.

I don't expect Nintendo to change the current version of the Switch.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
- Better battery performance.
- Lower production cost.
- Smaller form factor.

These are the things that matter to Nintendo.
None of those would make it a Pro revision, more of a Lite. I question why they would even spend the money on a custom chip for those reasons when they just launched a revision with better battery life that likely costs less to make. With the Switch successor coming just a few years after this revision I don't think it would even be worth the R&D costs unless it actually added something.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Not that I trust this rumour, but... Why Volta though? If they wanted 12nm then surely Turing would be a more logical choice?

Edit: OK, so if it's a semi-custom chip based on Tegra Xavier, it would make sense. Seeing that is Volta arch.

Last edited:

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
If they can give us decent settings at 1080p that would be a win.

Eventually TVs with AI chips will be able to automatically upscale games to 4K, so I'm not worried about that. I just want draw distances and stable frame rates.

Yeah, I could be happy just with some AA and texture filtering in BOTW2. Please NIntendo!

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are people assuming it is a handheld? I mean, we have a lite switch that doesn't switch. Why not a pro switch that also doesn't switch? I hate having to pay for a functionally I don't use.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Just give it enough power to play every game at a nice crisp 720p in handheld mode (no more fuzzy low resolutions) and I'll be very happy.

This give me native resolution on all the games (and possibly all 60fps) and ill be happy.

Why are people assuming it is a handheld? I mean, we have a lite switch that doesn't switch. Why not a pro switch that also doesn't switch? I hate having to pay for a functionally I don't use.

Nintendo's consoles have always sold worse than its handheld counterparts I don't see Nintendo changing its hybrid design going forward. Hell maybe they do a handheld and console but keeping the games the same with the console versions having increased visuals.fps. ect.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I could believe this rumor just because of the similar performance part. Not what a fanboy making stuff up would come out with for sure.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm here for better battery life and lower power draw. Bonus if it has something like a Chromecast receiver (like a Wii U in reverse) where I can stream back to the TV without docking.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
While I don't expert 4k rendering, I'd appreciate it if the system at least could output at said resolution. It'd be great for 2D games that can upscale perfectly instead of the uneven scaling now.

Daedardus

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, a Switch that could output (no need to render) at 4K through HDMI would be pretty great for video streaming services, as it currently doesn't have that capability. But nobody really expects video games at 4K.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Native 4K is impossibile on the Switch, since Nintendo targets 60 fps very often in their first party titles. They should include an upscaled 4K output tho, which is a big lack of Switch.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo handhelds sell better than consoles and the Switch Lite hasn't even done amazing numbers in comparison to the regular Switch, there probably isn't much point to a console only Switch.
Zero chance they are abandoning the current format, I play my Switch 95% docked and would love this but no way it is happening...
How would that be abandoning the current format? The Switch Lite wasn't them abandoning switching.
To be fair, a Switch that could output (no need to render) at 4K through HDMI would be pretty great for video streaming services, as it currently doesn't have that capability. But nobody really expects video games at 4K.
Native 4K is impossibile on the Switch, since Nintendo targets 60 fps very often in their first party titles. They should include an upscaled 4K output tho, which is a big lack of Switch.
Isn't USB C too slow for 4K?

Oct 25, 2017
If there isn't much improvement then I don't see the point. Would rather they just wait to release the Switch's successor whenever that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.