• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
'Official' Joy-Con Shells have been sold on AliExpress and eBay for years now, they're pretty much indistinguishable against the real Joy-Con shells since I believe it's the same manufacturer of official ones selling them off.

When the Neon Yellow Joy-Cons were first announced, the Joy-Con Shells were already selling on Chinese marketplaces before their official release, they proved to be the real deal.
v1xkgjwvdysy.jpg

So, why do I think White Joy-Cons are coming? Well I've noticed since last perusing AliExpress several months ago that White & Black Joy-Con shells have found their way onto there, specifically into the sellers of those selling the official Shells.
UTB8fH7ePCnEXKJk43Ubq6zLppXaN.jpg

Joy-Con Shells are usually sold in listings of sets - 'Official' Shells all find themslves into a single listing. Third Party ones (such as the transparent ones, the previously available third party white shell, etc) all find themselves in separate listings.

Black Joy-Cons have been confirmed to be Developer only Joy-Con colours previously, so I am not so surprised they've been made available - it is peculiar its taken so long to go up as they weren't available several months ago. But even more peculiar is the White ones.

Now I'd usually chalk this up to being third party fakes, many that you can find on Amazon or eBay by a different manufacturer - however, there's a very interesting detail I found on the back of them on someones negative review on AliExpress:
UTB8oM3gv1vJXKJkSajhq6A7aFXaU.jpg

There's legal information on the back. This information doesn't exist on third party White Joy-Cons as I noticed in an Amazon.com review.
Granted - the Nintendo logo itself is missing which is a bad sign. Why would this legal information be there in the first place if not for some connection to the Official Shells?

I've then found this image below which shows them in full detail (ignore the Red SL and SR, it's a replaced Joy-Con)
For-Nintendo-Switch-NS-NX-Joy-Con-Controller-DIY-Custom-Replacement-Housing-Joy-Cons-White-Shell.jpg_q50.jpg

So what do you think ERA? 100% fakes where manufactures are reusing the molds and creating their own colours? Or accidental leak of future White Joy-Cons?

Lock this if either: old, proven fake or if no-one cares.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Maybe Nintendo will release Pokemon SwSh themed joycons that are white? Dunno. I feel this color design for the Joycons is too good looking to keep locked to the Switch Lite so maybe they'll release a version for the OG Switch. It's not exactly white though, but yeah.

ZWjzn1l.png
W73x9HY.png

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
Could be coming.

But i definitely remember seeing white shells for 2 years now. Regular ones and the ones with the classic dpad (which i have).

FehHtbXm.jpg

Edit: Gonna go with fake.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too much to ask to have Solid Black & Solid White JoyCons, Uncle Nintendo?

Because I would definitely shell out the absurd amount of money for a set of each.

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't read too much into this. I'd love some white joy-cons but I doubt AliExpress is gonna beat Nintendo to the punch on this one.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless what colour comes next, I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't announced any new colours in a while.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of new joy con colors has been so disappointing to me.

Remember when they revealed Dark Souls and it looked like new white joy cons were in the video?

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Nintendo will release Pokemon SwSh themed joycons that are white? Dunno. I feel this color design for the Joycons is too good looking to keep locked to the Switch Lite so maybe they'll release a version for the OG Switch. It's not exactly white though, but yeah.

ZWjzn1l.png
W73x9HY.png
My first thought as well.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

ZWjzn1l.png
W73x9HY.png
I would honestly pay $100 for desperate Joycons with this color scheme and a proper D-Pad. It's fucking gorgeous.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017

ZWjzn1l.png
W73x9HY.png
Now this I want.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
White and Black joycons for "New" Switch launch.

Actually an optional white body option for the console itself would be great too.

Oct 26, 2017
Emily has been talking about an upcoming new Switch version with two colour options, and Black & White tablets seem like the most obvious choices to me...
But would it be Black Switch with White Joy cons & vice versa, or matching colours? Or one of each?!

Last edited:

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Emily has been talking about an upcoming new Switch version with two colour options, and Black & White seem like the most obvious choices to me...
But would it be Black Switch with White Joy cons & vice versa, or matching colours? Or one of each?!

If she's talking about the Switch itself coming in new colors I'd guess the tablet portion would be changed, not (necessarily) the joycons.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Real or not, I need some new Joycons in my life. There has not been a new standalone color in more than a year. The last colored Joycons to be released were exclusive to the Let's Go console bundle.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I'll love white joy-cons. It remembers me my white GBA.

Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-White-FL.jpg

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the pinkjoycon shells forma seller on ebay for like ÂŁ8 and it came with the screwdrivers needed and they have all the official markings and junk that my real joycons have. If those same kinds of sellers are selling white ones now, with the markings and junk that real ones have then it seems a safe bet that white joycons will be coming soon. Question is will they be sold separately or as part of a themed console?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Hum, interesting. Maybe I'll pick one of these shells to see if I like it. Anyway to easily differentiate the good shells on eBay from the bad ones?

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
Emily has been talking about an upcoming new Switch version with two colour options, and Black & White tablets seem like the most obvious choices to me...

Bingo.
I'm betting on total White and total Black new Switches to avoid any confusion on what you are buying while the old versions' stock is depleted.

I guess from now on the Lites are going to be the colored ones while the flagships take on a more sober look.