• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
I loved RE7, but I was really hoping for 3rd person again. Capcom never disappoints though so I'll trust them.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Resident Evil: Zombies 8 My Neighbors??

is it rude to make the best OT title this early on

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Enough stalkers, please. Stop making the same game, Capcom.
I'd say that Resident Evil 7 and 2 feel quite different from each other (and not just because of the camera perspective), and bet it will feel different than RE3 as well. For the stalkers. Mr. X doesn't feel or function like Jack/Marguerite (nor has the same presence), and Nemesis should function differently than both of them as well.

On surface level I understand it's easy to write off all stalkers as "the same", but I'd actually say out of any developer I think Capcom has the best grasp of how to make stalker enemies feel different. This was already present previously in their Clock Tower 3/Haunting Ground game (which those two games have multiple stalkers each, and they all feel and function quite differently), but is reinforced by how they're handling in RE7, RE2 and I will bet RE3 will continue the trend.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say that Resident Evil 7 and 2 feel quite different from each other (and not just because of the camera perspective), and bet it will feel different than RE3 as well. For the stalkers. Mr. X doesn't feel or function like Jack/Marguerite (nor has the same presence), and Nemesis should function differently than both of them as well.

On surface level I understand it's easy to write off all stalkers as "the same", but I'd actually say out of any developer I think Capcom has the best grasp of how to make stalker enemies feel different. This was already present previously in their Clock Tower 3/Haunting Ground game (which those two games have multiple stalkers each, and they all feel and function quite differently), but is reinforced by how they're handling in RE7, RE2 and I will bet RE3 will continue the trend.
Well, obviously, but it's still a repetitive design direction that I got over in the first game. 2 and 3 are remakes, nothing you can do about it, but no reason to keep using the same thing in 8.

I'm sure they can make it feel as different as stalker enemies can feel, it's Capcom, but it won't be as different as just ditching a stalker and doing something else.

Zombies are cool, but RE7's main issue when it comes to the enemies wasn't that the enemies weren't zombies, it was lack of enemy variety. They could have one or two zombies and the wolves and you'd have the same issue. Slightly better, but still not very good. Which is another thing RE2 shares, but thankfully it seems like RE3 is avoiding it.

I actually like RE7 more than RE2, so I'm sure the game itself will be great, but I'd rather see a bigger departure in the main series with the recent remakes.

If RE4~6 is the over the shoulder action RE trilogy, let RE7~3 be the persistent stalker trilogy.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine actually caring what perspective a game is in lol... First person, third person, who cares, just make the overall package good!
Imagine actually caring that people have preferences? Some people like third-person more than first-person. Hell, first-person is unplayable for some people due to nausea. Resident Evil is largely a third-person series, so having that change does bother some people. Myself included.

Considering this version of RE8 has been rebooted, I'm hopeful it'll move to third-person due to the success of RE2 remake.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I found working out where to go next a bit tricky in VII, had to consult a guide a couple of times, which was a shame. Looking forward to 8 though.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Someone on reddit did what I would have done but less DNA:
oq0hwwxvdwd41.jpg

Make at a strand Capcom. The last logos:
Resident_Evil_7_cover_art.jpg
images

Shops like Amazon still listed it with a proper 7.
The hype train is already quite operational. Make sense. There are only 3 months left till the only other RE game (compilation) graces us. There is technically some Netflix show in the works, maybe, and we 100% know that the VII team moved on to another game inside Capcom. Now we wait.

I also accept Resid8 Evil Capcom. A VR dating sim. DC Douglas would love it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be kind of a bummer if it was Ethan and Chris again. I actually would've liked Mia to be the protagonist since she has history with The Connections. You could even have remnants of Eveline messing with her mind as she's trying to help the new Umbrella take the bad guys down for good.

New Rumors

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
New info dump.

As always, take it with a grain of salt, these are merely rumors as of now:

https://www.relyonhorror.com/latest...mors-zombies-witches-and-wolf-like-creatures/

– the rumor that the game had been scrapped and development started over (several times) is wrong
– discussions about the logo design and if the game has an "8" in the title are useless at this point since things can still change a lot
– release is maybe in 1.5 – 2 years
– setting: Eastern Europe or an adjacent country to that area
– village & a snowy landscape
– castle, but it's smaller than the one from RE4
– medieval setting and enemy designs
– not actual werewolves, but wolf-like creatures
– one or more witches will be hunting Ethan
– even though it sounds like the Hookman from 3.5, it's something new
– zombies are wearing knight armor & wield swords
– more action-heavy than 7, closer to Not a Hero gameplay-wise
– director has been with Capcom for a while & didn't change/leave (correction from previous post)
– director was previously a behind the scenes executive producer who directed one game
– maybe you can find out who it is – Chris returns, but with a twist
– no spoilers here, but a hint in the video's outro (no German skills needed to understand it) "No, it can't be! Why you?!"

Jun 10, 2018
I hope the rumor isn't true about it being more action heavy then 7. The pacing to most of RE7 was pretty good and got more action oriented toward the end (as is the case with most Resident Evil titles). I wouldn't want to see them go backward with 8.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear it's first person. Third person camera just isn't scary unless it's fixed camera angles. I enjoyed RE7 a lot more than RE2

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit weird that Capcom would use the same protagonist in 2 mainline games in a row. I know they did with 5-6 but 6 had many protagonists actually.

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
– director has been with Capcom for a while & didn't change/leave (correction from previous post)
– director was previously a behind the scenes executive producer who directed one game

Jun Takeuchi? I think he only directed the original Onimusha

vala

Oct 25, 2017
" director was previously a behind the scenes executive producer who directed one game "
Jun Takeuchi?? The only game he directed was the first Onimusha.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who's not a monster chose to save Zoe in 7 though

That was one of the most pointless choices, I thought I was playing a Telltale game for minute. "Oh so now I play through the ship as Zoe this time, cool" haha no actually you're inexplicably still Mia and it's the exact same except an extra minor bossfight

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not a Hero had improved enemy hit reactions and melee flourishes. The guns had a bit more kick too.

I hope that's what they mean and not, as some people have read it entirely on the surface, a small scope, free dlc metroidvania epilogue set in RE7's mines.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
They'd better not make it more action heavy.
I don't mind Ethan. The rest of the cast are basically action hero's now, and that doesn't work too well with survival horror.
4,5 and 6 must have undoubtedly created a rift in the fanbase, with action fans on one side, and survival horror on the other.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think the rumored Redfield Design will just actually attempt to bridge both versions. You can tell they never did as much work on Chris as they did Claire and Leon.

Dandy is in Project Awakening and looks more like Chris in there than he does in RE7
Project-Awakening_09-10-18.jpg

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping they wouldn't do a stalker enemy for this game. I'm gonna be over that by the time I finish RE3 Remake.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Not a Hero had improved enemy hit reactions and melee flourishes. The guns had a bit more kick too.

I hope that's what they mean and not, as some people have read it entirely on the surface, a small scope, free dlc metroidvania epilogue set in RE7's mines.

Parry addition was fantastic, I can understand why Ethan couldn't do it but it added a lot to the melee side of things and I really hope they include stuff like that and Joe's fists in RE8

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

That's what I would imagine. You can have the NaH elements without it going off the deep end into RE6.
You were already blocking giant BOWs as ethan to negatome some damage after all.

They'd better not make it more action heavy.
I don't mind Ethan. The rest of the cast are basically action hero's now, and that doesn't work too well with survival horror.
4,5 and 6 must have undoubtedly created a rift in the fanbase, with action fans on one side, and survival horror on the other.

RE4-6 and a lot of other RE games during that time made up a decade + of RE and resulted in like 25+ million sales. So yeah, despite the series roots that decade of games will always carry their weight into the series and future projects. For some people that period is "RE" to them.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is all sounds like a completely different game. Don't be surprise if this actually turns out to be a new IP.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah I'll agree with some of these other posts you already had the block so you know just make the natural move and give give Ethan a parry.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
This is all sounds like a completely different game. Don't be surprise if this actually turns out to be a new IP.

To be fair a lot of RE sounds like that on paper

"You're a secret agent investigating a village full of murderous people, Giants, and a evil cult"

"You're trapped in a house with country family and one boss fight has an old man doing donuts in the garage"

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wait a second. Wasn't there a rumor that Resident Evil 8 was going to take alot from Hookman, and be set in a castle, with alot of ties to 7?

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The "going for more action" statement is precisely why Mia/Zoe should be the protagonist instead of Ethan. You can't realistically have someone who already fought their way out of a previous game be able to be a proper vehicle for horror. It's the same reason why asking for Leon or Chris (or Even Jill) to be back as the playable protagonists just does not make sence.