• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized what I don't like about RE in first person, the bosses are not as good. In RE7 the only good boss was Jack Backer and that was an incredible boss that showed me new things about game design in first person (both fights) that no other has achieved but fighting Mr. X in RE2 remake felt like a top boss of all time.
Maybe it's just the ability to look behind you while running in the opposite direction that feels so scary but in control of the situation that is not possible in first person. IDK but I prefer 3rd person for RE due to how limited the gameplay feels when you have such a narrow view of any situation.
Also Ethan sucks.
Funnily enough, I'd actually say RE7 has two of the strongest boss fights in the whole series; The Jack in the Garage fight, I actually love how dynamic that boss is and how many different ways it can go down based on the players actions. And the Marguerite Greenhouse fight, which actually may be the tensest boss fight in the whole series.

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked the sound of this, Ethan and all, so I'm a bit disappointed it got rebooted. I'll be interested to see what bits make it through in the end. If nothing else, RE7 converted me on having a first-person perspective for RE, so I hope that stays (either in RE8 or a spinoff.)

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
You explore a mansion full of creatures created by a bioweapon. You find keys and other doodads to continue progressing. You find and collect herbs and other items to combine for light crafting. You also have to perform various puzzles because for some reason the house was made that way. Similar to the first games, it's combat is also a lot slower and methodical. And hell, there's even Chris!

So... How is it not Resident Evil?
It sometimes feels like people didn't play longer than the starting house. If this wasn't a Resident Evil game, then what is?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough, I'd actually say RE7 has two of the strongest boss fights in the whole series; The Jack in the Garage fight, I actually love how dynamic that boss is and how many different ways it can go down based on the players actions. And the Marguerite Greenhouse fight, which actually may be the tensest boss fight in the whole series.

Seconding the Marguerite fight, her crawling animations and the general dynamic feel to that fight blew me away the first time I played through it.

Very happy to hear these details, and a return to the village-castle progression is great news. I need some new RE like yesterday.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The tension when you see the arms of a creature that's close to your line of sight (or hitbox) should be enough to make you feel the dynamic terror.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After RE7 and RE2, I have complete trust in Capcom when it comes to flagship Resident Evil releases. They can do whatever they want and I'd be in.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
One of these days, these shadowy megacorps and secret orgs will create a BOW that doesn't ultimately fall short against "a person with guns".

One day.
Ethan would've been completely doomed if he weren't infected, or if the Mia and the Bakers didn't have some degree of agency from Eveline, however slight.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
When did everyone suddenly start hating RE7?

when I realized it is so disconnected to the actual Resi evil universe and it felt boring after 1 run. Nothing like the old games.Main character is shite. Bring back Jill or the other characters I care about. Revelations 2 duo was amazing for example.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Ethan would've been completely doomed if he weren't infected, or if the Mia and the Bakers didn't have some degree of agency from Eveline, however slight.
Still he beat most of them in combat, didn't he?

Don't mind me, I have this running joke about how these fearsome BoWs actually perform kinda poorly against people with guns.

Also about how Umbrella was all about making half-intelligent (at best) tentacle monsters and lizardmen as their weapons of war, when Wesker had a friggin' super soldier serum in his back pocket.

One that allows him to move around like some "nothing personnel kid" motherfucker from a shounen anime.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still he beat most of them in combat, didn't he?

Don't mind me, I have this running joke about how these fearsome BoWs actually perform kinda poorly against people with guns.

Also about how Umbrella was all about making half-intelligent (at best) tentacle monsters and lizardmen as their weapons of war, when Wesker had a friggin' super soldier serum in his back pocket.

One that allows him to move around like some "nothing personnel kid" motherfucker from a shounen anime.
To be fair the plan was to just have Evie infect and mind control armies iirc, bloodless victories.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
I wonder if werewolves are going to be the new C-virus or licker-like enemies. They could have a new mechanic similar to what the molded had with RAMROD rounds, maybe to keep them from transforming. Also ethan with the uncle's power gloves would be so sick.

Whatever the game turns out be I'm all in.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Would be cool. I prefer third-person RE in general, but it does feel good to mix it up now and then. I loved 7 too.

Wouldn't mind going back to a slower, more dense one paced like RE1 after 7-2-3-8.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
My hot take on the title. An Uroboros DNA stand right behind the logo:
32_our_8.jpg

But i also take this, thx google:
DciV6ijVwAAsrFn.jpg

The bear from Condemned 2 joined a PMC!

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
RE7 was awesome. I'm whatever on Ethan but it was such a great experience that I'm down for more.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Makes sense to serve both audiences this way.

3 remake is classic, then 8 is FPS, then the inevitable 4 remake is classic again.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
I have been thinking. Is RE 4 the only one with good bosses from start to finish? Outbreak has some good ones, RE VII does too, Nemesis is good but the only other one in R3 is the garbo worm. Jikes Capcom. We´ll always have DMC, won´t we? Back from what that one was RE4 (version 2):
kznlc28scue01.jpg

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
sounds like they are not calling it 8 then. that makes sense if they don't.

I don't care about fps or tps, RE7 is not very good at the action and RE was always an action game series at heart. Horror, survival etc doesn't change that it still was an action game and that was the gameplay. RE7 action gameplay sucks a lot. They can make it better and still be fps.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
My first playthrough of REVII on my old 42 inch Samsung plasma is still one of the most unforgettable gaming experiences I've had. Such an amazingly realized atmosphere and attention to detail in the environment and sound design. I say this as someone that plays through REmake at least once a year. Both styles have their strengths and places in the franchise, and I'm eager to see how Capcom evolves the fps experience in 8 as well as how REmake 3 adds to what REmake 2 accomplished.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
wondering what subtitle it will be having.

Resident Evil 7: Bio-Hazard/Biohazard 7: Resident Evil is pretty smart.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
OG RE1, RE2, REmake: Am i a joke to you?

what? They are still an action game, you shoot stuff and blow shit up and they rely on your reactions a lot.

RE7 you shoot stuff too, just really awfully for the modern standards and the boss fights (lul) and enemies are god awful, unlike RE1 and RE2.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Cool, having the game take place in a snowy european area sounds great. I loved RE7 and the first person perspective works well imo, I just hope they make the movement a little more responsive and make the boss fights better.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
what? They are still an action game, you shoot stuff and blow shit up and they rely on your reactions a lot.

RE7 you shoot stuff too, just really awfully for the modern standards and the boss fights (lul) and enemies are god awful, unlike RE1 and RE2.

I'm sorry...what are you talking about?

By this definition, i guess OG alone in the dark, Silent Hill 1 - 4 is an action game as well....welp.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Not sure whether they want an animal on their logo after that 'giraffe getting blown' in the RE6 logo.
Whoever decided that dumbo wasn´t cover material chose the wrong job when doing the Outbreak 2 cover.
52b9552df25ae9ac85c2b137bef09687.jpg

Wolf-men are also nothing after the T-Rex-man who then cronenberged into The Fly in RE6. RE6 had ideas alright... This is canon:
maxresdefault.jpg

So yeah. I think that the oh so precious RE canon can take a Beast of Darkness enemy. Here is from when RE1 was still an FPS:
EPZadC7XUAcNmJJ.jpg

The RPG fights in Sweet Home are all in first-person. So yeah. Capcom still has those files. No wonder that FPS elements constantly return.

PS: REmake remake (Capcom talked about it) could work as an FPS but let´s maybe wait at least half a decade till things start to go stale again. They will. They always do.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I hate first person, Ethan is a non-character and Chris is the most boring RE lead. Easy pass for me. I'll still have Remake 2 & 3 I guess.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
What kind of terrible body horror will Ethan have to suffer though this time? That guy must be looking pretty rough.

I'd be super down for this.

I actually really regret not playing RE7 in VR. If 8 decides to include it I might actually by a headset.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
latest

More like stapled together at birth. From Rev 2. A solid 7,5/10 with a surprisingly good script. That said. The series was already going places with the Chimeras in RE1:
What a backstory. They left a deep impression on me when I played the PC version as a kid. There are almost no rules when it comes to RE creatures. Even "ghosts" would easily work as long as you keep it sci-fi. Both castle versions of RE 3.5 had them and RE VII already laid track for such hallucinations. Those aspects of REVII we really well done.