• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
I'll add to this.
I specualted that if RELIC would be acqurired by microsoft (because they fill in gaps in microsofts base) that a small indie stuidio might be acquired later. (hinterland)

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine a microsoft funded sequel to Space Marine on Unreal Engine 4 targeting PC and console.

Relic - do THIS!!!

Some of the best real time strategy games ever made?
Dawn of War 2 and COH are genius games.

I did enjoy me some Dawn of War but Space Marine was fucking sick. I've been waiting for it to hit BC

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
As long as their output os pc first and console never pr 2nd, im happy. The moment they start ramming console limitations on the games i stop being interested.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
As long as their output os pc first and console never pr 2nd, im happy. The moment they start ramming console limitations on the games i stop being interested.

It's already been confirmed that Age of Empires 4 will be PC (mouse and keyboard) first (and probably only). We could see it end up on consoles with mouse and keyboard support.

Not sure how it'll work on the Switch tho.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
why would Sega sell them? not saying it's not happening but this one doesn't fit the pattern of their other recent acquisitions

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
why would Sega sell them? not saying it's not happening but this one doesn't fit the pattern of their other recent acquisitions

Dawn of War 3 was a huge disappointment, so it's not unlikely that Sega allowed Relic to be bought by Microsoft. And Microsoft has been buying PC focused studios before.

Whether this turns out to be true remains to be seen, but what we do know is that Relic currently has another patch in the works for Age of Empires: Definitive Edition (Win 10).

Relic didn't develop AoE:DE...

CornIsGood

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's too far fetched. They're already working with Microsoft on AoE4 and it's not like they've been putting out hits under Sega.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Dawn of War 3 was a huge disappointment, so it's not unlikely that Sega allowed Relic to be bought by Microsoft. And Microsoft has been buying PC focused studios before.

Relic didn't develop AoE:DE...
Huh, didn't even think to double check that.

Forgotten Empires is living up their name.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If MS doesn't release upcoming Relic strategy games on Steam, their userbase will die.

Depends. They are reworking Windows Store. It could play on Xbox One with kb+m. If xCloud is finished by then, it will be playable in streaming on mobiles, Switch, etc., and all of it will be cross-play. Microsoft releasing an RTS game in a couple years is going to be a hugely different scenario than what happened last year with AOE:HD. That's it, of course, if there is any truth in this rumor.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. They are reworking Windows Store. It could play on Xbox One with kb+m. If xCloud is finished by then, it will be playable in streaming on mobiles, Switch, etc., and all of it will be cross-play. Microsoft releasing an RTS game in a couple years is going to be a hugely different scenario than what happened last year with AOE:HD. That's it, of course, if there is any truth in this rumor.

Games like AoE are games for a much more focused group imo and that group is on Steam, not on game pass.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
DoW 3 was a flop and CoH 2 wasn't as good as the original. That being said, I still have faith in Relic.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I dunno, klob teases a lot. Like all that teasing he did that CD3 development was going well and the game was good. Such a jokester lol.
I may be wrong about this, but i think he even said that shortly before the game got delayed. point is, he is not reliable enough yet to make threads on.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
What I actually think is happening:

https://boards.greenhouse.io/relic/jobs/1526338

Relic has signed a contract with Microsoft to take care of the Age of Empires franchise for a long term commitment. Hence them hiring a franchise narrative lead. I assume they see the same kind of future in AoE4 as AoE2 had/has.

Age of Empires 2 had 12k unique players and 6k concurrent players today.
https://store.steampowered.com/stats/?

Sounds like a long term publishing deal rather than an acquisition. An acquisition would be Sega signing an agreement (rarely "contract") with MS, not Relic.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may be wrong about this, but i think he even said that shortly before the game got delayed. point is, he is not reliable enough yet to make threads on.

I'd argue that, but the thing is, this wasn't a riddle or something he actively teased, this is literally a generic meme video (that doesn't mention Relic) and then a mock-up, which again could be a meme as well, or be a tease. There's not a lot to add at this point, if he knows something chances are he'll spread a few more hints and that will make things more clear.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
This is based off nothing and the writer, frankly, should be embarrassed. Poor, klo, was just a meme post.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
resetms16knm.jpg

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Klob wanted that tweet turned into an article but anyways It's obvious MS isn't done acquiring devs. I bet they will keep the announcements for E3. :)

Sep 28, 2018
I don't think SEGA would sell, nor would Relic want to be sold... SEGA allow their acquired studios to operate with a pretty unprecedented level of freedom. From what I have heard they don't dictate to them what to make or how to operate their business and simply trust they will continue create good at the standard that SEGA acquired them for. Other publishers could learn a thing or two, tbh.

Besides, SEGA also let Creative Assembly work on Halo Wars 2, but had no intention of selling them to MS.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Could it be possible for Microsoft to work with Steam and have Game Pass games available there? That would convert me.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No.

But yeah, that would be awesome: mainstream gamers would be able to play MS' games in a console-like environment using the Windows Store and Game Pass, and pc enthusiasts could buy these games on Steam with full mod and tinkering support.

I don't think Klob wanted that tweet turned into an article but anyways It's obvious MS isn't done acquiring devs. I bet they will keep the announcements for E3. :)

They better hurry before THQ Nordic buys them all ^^

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I hope they drop the Dawn of War series & try a new IP with MS's money, sorry but 2 wasn't very good & 3 was even worse, it's time to stop!

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, the original tweet source literally states is a template for memes.

That said, the headline itself is not that crazy, but what would Sega gain from selling Relic? Unless they want to cash a shit ton of money for whatever projects they have next, but Relic is just too important of an asset to let them go like nothing for a couple millions, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.