• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
What a turn around I have to see this movie now. I also want to see a movie about the production of the original version and who is to blame

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
everyone is going to just forget how the worst part about this movie had nothing to do with the design, huh

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It still baffles me since it was revealed; who approved of that old design?! New design is what it should have always been.
The director. Like, on this one, we actually know exactly who was responsible. There's an interview where he said he pushed ahead the design even though Sega wasn't happy with it. IIRC specifically the eyes, and something else about how gloves "didn't make sense" ... for a blue, humanoid, talking hedgehog that... can run at the speed of sound...

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
That is so much better.
Is this the first time internet backlash has a) had such a huge impact on the visual Deisgn of a movie and b) was (probably) for the better?

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a surprise, making your live action CG Sonic the Hedgehog look like Sonic the Hedgehog might actually be a good thing.

Not that the movie won't still be terrible but the fact that they even bothered with such an overhaul tells me that someone over there cares, and that's at least good to know.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
everyone is going to just forget how the worst part about this movie had nothing to do with the design, huh

This was the marketing strategy the whole time. Its the complete opposite of the Sonic cycle.

Show an extremely bad initial trailer , then fix it and get positive fan reception right before the movie comes out.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't someone here say we'd be getting a trailer soon?

The leaked image says "Timing: 11/12/19 - 2/14/20" which is speculated to be when the standee is allowed to go up in theaters. If that's the case, we could be seeing a trailer tomorrow. Apparently trailers usually have some sort of advance announcement so it would be unusual, but the first Sonic trailer also randomly dropped on a Tuesday at 9 AM EST, so it's not impossible.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The leaked image says "Timing: 11/12/19 - 2/14/20" which is speculated to be when the standee is allowed to go up in theaters. If that's the case, we could be seeing a trailer tomorrow. Apparently trailers usually have some sort of advance announcement so it would be unusual, but the first Sonic trailer also randomly dropped on a Tuesday at 9 AM EST, so it's not impossible.
Ah cool. I like the redesign but I'm very curious to see it in motion.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If would be funny if it's literally the same trailer as the first one but with the new Sonic design (and a changed release date)

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes you wonder why they went with the former design to begin with.
it felt like they came up with the former design to solve the "problem" of Sonic's cyclops eyes:
sonic_cojoined_eyes_9491.png

but they went too far and wiped away the whole appeal of Sonic's original design

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
So...
It's basically the Sonic design from the games?

I guess it's an improvement.
I hereby upgrade my movie rating prediction from Super Mario Bros: The Movie to Garfield: The Movie.

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
it felt like they came up with the former design to solve the "problem" of Sonic's cyclops eyes:
sonic_cojoined_eyes_9491.png

but they went too far and wiped away the whole appeal of Sonic's original design

The one part about the old design that will always bewilder me is the white stomach. It looks so out of place, and unlike every other awful design choice they made I can't figure out what practical purpose it was supposed to serve other than making him appear even more like a bootleg knockoff of the original.

sonic-the-hedgehog-5-1556631058.jpg

Interestingly, there's actually a piece of old Sonic 1 concept art where he also has a white stomach. Could they have been going for the deepest of deep cuts, so deep that no fan actually wanted it?

latest

Brannon

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be real; this movie hinges on Jim Carrey carrying the rest of the film like Atlas. Just Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey in another movie is already a big plus. Don't @ me.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
IIRC they got Tyson Hesse to help so... close! Hahahahaha
Wonder if Tyson pushed for tan arms and was overruled. It seems to be a common trend in American redesigns of Sonic for some reason.

Not gonna lie, his rendition of the original movie design was pretty sick:

Also liked his "best of all worlds" design that combined elements of classic, modern and Boom Sonics:

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Tyson pushed for tan arms and was overruled. It seems to be a common trend in American redesigns of Sonic for some reason.

It's just the weirdest thing to me that they're always so dead-set on changing those arms to blue.

Don't get me wrong, the new design is a godsend compared to what could have been, but not changing the arms back to tan does bring it down slightly for me. Sooo close to perfect.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really mind blue arms because almost every other character has colored arms. And IIRC him having tan arms in the first place was also a technical thing that in the realm of 3d does not need to be adheared to. The complaints about blue arms always seemed...silly

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering this movie has no hope of actually being good, I'd rather see it go all the way and just be the biggest train wreck it can be. In this way, the new design is sort of a downgrade.
Lmfao yea I actually wanted to see the original with the abomination sonic cause it looked so freaking bad it was good

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I don't really mind blue arms because almost every other character has colored arms. And IIRC him having tan arms in the first place was also a technical thing that in the realm of 3d does not need to be adheared to. The complaints about blue arms always seemed...silly
It's not the biggest deal in the world for me, but I think I'm just too used to the tan arms. Like, if I see a blue armed Sonic I assume it's a knock-off or low quality in some way (I usually associate it with coloring errors in the DiC cartoons).

You're right that being able to distinguish his arms from the rest of his body matters more in 2D space, although I dunno, I think if they went with blue arms in the 3D games it would have looked weird for similar reasons. Being a movie though, they can make everything more deliberate.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Nintendo always takes Sega's lunch money. We were expecting this to be the trainwreck of the year and Pokémon somehow stole it lmao

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they release the disaster cut. Wasn't all the original CGI finished/near finished?

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love the way they still separated his eyes while keeping the illusion with the white fur in the center.

Oct 25, 2017

It's silly to question arbitrary changes to a 25 plus year old design? It's like if Nintendo of america just decided to change Mario's shirt blue to match his overalls. Or just get rid of his mustache. Just because the design was made with a limitation in mind doesn't mean you need to change it when the limitation no longer applies.

But really what bugs me isn't so much the weird off model changes, it's how defensive people get when you question it as if you're being unreasonable. It's just baffling how constantly western studios decide to change such a small detail. Especially after making such a drastic turn around on this design they just had to keep the arms blue. It's hilarious.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have never looked forward to a piece of Sonic media than I am for the new trailer.

I must see it in motion.