• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
And just like that, interest gone. They really want to keep Fable as the most underwhelming franchise ever considering the concept it started from.

Doffen

Oct 28, 2017
Who the fuck has time to play 10000 different GaaS/live service games?

You don't have to play end game content. Just play through the story and move on to the next game.
GaaS only adds value, it doesn't hide the story behind a 100 hour raid grind. Like does it suck that Forza Horizon 4 got more races and events after launch?

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Y'all had one job. Nbs..
But makes sense seeing how Sea of Thieves turned around. I'm glad MS are not listening to their freeloading fan base (just kidding don't get mad). But it seems like most just want them to go head-to-head with Sony games and that's not the plan. They have to do what works for them. Great move!

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Fable 2-3 already had elements of an MMO-lite, so if this is just an expansion of those ideas than I don't see the issue.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I think it's a damn fine pitch. MMO-lite feels like something that'd naturally grow out of one of my favorite bites of the original - boasts at the Heroes' Guild. If you reboot the setting, take it back to that time period, you'd have plenty of justification for a lot of heroes running around, and having that kind of "set your own challenge" mechanic worked in could be either compelling or hilarious, depending on your preferences. Either way, it fits the IP pretty well, and if done right, could be a ton of fun.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that I think it's a damn fine pitch. MMO-lite feels like something that'd naturally grow out of one of my favorite bites of the original - boasts at the Heroes' Guild. If you reboot the setting, take it back to that time period, you'd have plenty of justification for a lot of heroes running around, and having that kind of "set your own challenge" mechanic worked in could be either compelling or hilarious, depending on your preferences. Either way, it fits the IP pretty well, and if done right, could be a ton of fun.
I feel the same.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
MMO lite does not say drop in - drop out player worlds being instanced kind of situation to me but i'd give that a look for sure.

I just worry about the whole aesthetic and charm of Fable being lost in an environment where you have 20+ other people all talking to item vendors and getting daily quests and all that stuff. Fable pulled me in somehow in the same glorious way that the Discworld books managed and I would just really... really hate to lose that style/special charm in favor of capturing ... Destiny players? WoW? ...

We'll see

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Like, the Guild was absolutely built to serve as something like the Tower does in Destiny, in-universe. A home and hearth for heroes to gather and take on quests, get gear, etc. There's constant demands for the services of Heroes, so you can just whip up procedural mission variations for grinding in addition to the main story. Have big hub levels (if not an entire instanced map), toss on special Fable touches like lurking trolls and Hobbes and Demon Doors. When you need to advance the story, do Fortnite/Destiny style shared world events where everybody logs on to see what's happening.

This could be really cool.

Jun 5, 2018
If it's only a small online feature and the game can be played offline that's fine I'll be happy to play it if that's all it is but fable 3 was the first game I highly anticipated that burnt me and with this rumour having even 5% credibility and with likely no more news for another 12+ months I'm not boarding the hype train just to crash.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Even thought I played Final Fantasy XIV more than any other game in my life, I prefer a SP Fable any day of the week.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
When Microsoft revealed this and Avowed, I thought one of them (probably Fable) would be an action-adventure RPG-lite like Horizon to make it distinct from the other as Microsoft wouldn't develop two straight up fantasy RPGs at the same time.

But no not action-adventure, MMO. That kills the interest for me.

On a similar note does anyone know if Everwild is a single player game or a Sea of Thieves alike? The trailers seem to focus quite a lot on groups of people but I don't think it's been confirmed.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fable has always had MMO-lite integration.

This type of thing is the reason Fable has also always not been very good.

So this isn't really surprising at all... just disappointing. What I wanted from Microsoft this time around is "we get it, we are making games for you" where "you" is me. But once again it looks like we are going down the path of "we are making games for a market that isn't you and may not exist but hey, if we hit it big we'll make a lot of money from something you will never ever play so whatever"

Your mileage may vary.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
When Microsoft revealed this and Avowed, I thought one of them (probably Fable) would be an action-adventure RPG-lite like Horizon to make it distinct from the other as Microsoft wouldn't develop two straight up fantasy RPGs at the same time.

But no not action-adventure, MMO. That kills the interest for me.

On a similar note does anyone know if Everwild is a single player game or a Sea of Thieves alike? The trailers seem to focus quite a lot on groups of people but I don't think it's been confirmed.
Nearly every shot we've had of the game has had 4 people, I'm doubtful it's single player. If it can be played that way, it won't be exclusively so.
This type of thing is the reason Fable has also always not been very good.

So this isn't really surprising at all... just disappointing. What I wanted from Microsoft this time around is "we get it, we are making games for you" where "you" is me. But once again it looks like we are going down the path of "we are making games for a market that isn't you and may not exist but hey, if we hit it big we'll make a lot of money from something you will never ever play so whatever"

Your mileage may vary.
I mean, nobody makes games for an audience of 1. I get where you're coming from, but... yeah.

And besides, maybe the issue with Fable's mmo-lite stuff was failure to really capitalize on it.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Where's that gif of the dude closing the fridge door in disappointment...

nTMQfU8.gif

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
If true, talk about reading the room wrong.
My god after a decade we may bet getting a new Fable and it might be a fucking MMO?
This will be supremely disappointing if true.
please be fake lol

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Who the fuck has time to play 10000 different GaaS/live service games?

The point of a GaaS title is that when you decide to return to it after you have left, it feels fresh because of all the new content / features that have been added. No one is forcing you to give your life to it for the duration of the service.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
The point of a GaaS title is that when you decide to return to it after you have left, it feels fresh because of all the new content / features that have been added. No one is forcing you to give your life to it for the duration of the service.
I tend to feel like I've missed everything and I'll never catch up.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
If I've been waiting over 10 years for a new Fable for it to end up being some microtransaction riddled MMO-lite that ends up being a slow dripfeed of mediocre content rather than an engaging meaty single player story with a robust co-op mode then I'm going to be really, really upset.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Where does this thinking come from? You can have a good story and have online too.

There's so much hate for anything that's not single player on this forum. I truly don't get it.
Nah, we have way too much multiplayer games already
And say...a game like last of us 2 wouldn't be possible if it was multiplayer, and i wanted a Fable with that level o single player quality :(

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Going off the thread marks maybe it's like Destiny? In which case I'm even less interested in it?

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Where does this thinking come from? You can have a good story and have online too.

There's so much hate for anything that's not single player on this forum. I truly don't get it.
Most of the people on this forum are social pariahs without friends to be fair.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Never liked Fable, not really a single player game kind of guy. This being an MMO or even MMO-lite will pull me in.

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
A year or two ago I went to a market research session that was clearly about a new Fable and what we like or didn't like the past games, the "what if a new fable game.." questions definitely made me think it would be going in some sort of a MMO direction

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Bad PR move if it's true. I mean they should have put it out there by now. They can't be thinking "oh it's anyway too early let's drop the fact it's an MMO after a few vertical slices, later"

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I would have a dedicated single player experience. If it's a shared world, I hope it's optional like Forza Horizon.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Fable 2 and 3 had coop online iirc so it's not like this is new for fable. If they make the co op worthwhile but also optional it will be really nice

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
No one knows what it is until it comes out. I think we should wait for MS to give us more details before jumping to any conclusions.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Like, the Guild was absolutely built to serve as something like the Tower does in Destiny, in-universe. A home and hearth for heroes to gather and take on quests, get gear, etc. There's constant demands for the services of Heroes, so you can just whip up procedural mission variations for grinding in addition to the main story. Have big hub levels (if not an entire instanced map), toss on special Fable touches like lurking trolls and Hobbes and Demon Doors. When you need to advance the story, do Fortnite/Destiny style shared world events where everybody logs on to see what's happening.

This could be really cool.
Agreed. We'll see how it's all implemented. Crossing fingers they do it right but it has potential.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Most of the people on this forum are social pariahs without friends to be fair.

At this point, this really seems to be true. Honestly the weird aversion people on this forum have with socially interacting through games is just bizarre. The idea that games, should first and foremost, be an inherently singular experience and not evolve to include socializing even when the opportunity presents itself and proves to be successful for the industry is a really sad outlook imo.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping that isn't true. Not looking for yet another service game, but a single player focused experience that actually ends. Would be a crushing disappointment if they brought it back as a MMO.