• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

evilalien

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Likely because they're not prepared to give up their Ratchet & Clank baby. It would probably kill them (emotionally) to see Sony just give the IP to another dev.

Not to mention that they have a license to print money with Spider-Man and would be dumb to give that up right now.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ready at Dawn with the resources and hiring help from MGS and the support from Obsidian and inXile in worldbuilding and writing could be amazing.

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
If I see Insomniac becoming a first-party anywhere, it's Sony, not Microsoft. They still own all their IP, if not a majority of them, including Sunset Overdrive. And a lot of the IP they have given away, it's been to Sony who hold Ratchet, Resistance and their biggest success to date with Spider-Man.

If they go Microsoft, they'd give up the opportunity to do a Spider-Man 2, give up Ratchet and other things.

Yeah, I see Insomniac going Sony if it decides to go first-party.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
RaD is the first candidate that comes to mind, but this tidbit is making me question that:

mid-sized studio that historically worked together with PlayStation a bit.

RaD didn't work with Sony ''a bit'', 60% of their output was published by Sony. This goes for pretty much all the others people are considering here too.

Evangelista

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Microsoft is rumored to be buying just about everyone at this point.
Well they have money to buy the whole Playstation WWS if they want and Sony wants to sell too.

But money they have to buy any publisher or studio out there. Actually they have money to buy EA, Take2 and Activision together.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Thanks.

I have a good streak with Playground Games, Obsidian Entertainment, Crackdown 3 among other smaller things. But please keep in mind I'm reporting on stuff early which is a high risk situation. We'll see what the future holds :)

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
People saying Insomniac...after the success they are having with Spider-Man, they would never go for something like this. They were never bigger than right now and that's thanks to a Sony partnership.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I have to agree with the Ready at Dawn suggestions. Seems like a good fit in terms of studio size and location.

3 times now MS tried to set foot in the Japanese market. Never worked. Americas and Europe are their main thing.
One could also question the point in trying to compete in the Japanese market without offering a portable device. There is barely room for one dedicated home console over there.

An acquisition of a Japanese studio will likely be made to improve Xbox' position in the West, not in Japan.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Smells like Ready at Dawn

Once you leave Sony family you are a traitor and dead to the industry. They can go die in a corner for all we care. Nothing of value was lost

Giant /s but it's how most of these posts read.
nah

it's more like, if a studio is going to go exclusive on a platform you're not planning on getting, it'd better be one you don't care that much about

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Damn MS continues to not play around. They are going to have an awesome content stream for Game Pass as they continue to expand it.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I mean, it's business. Some act like Sony created every single studio they have. Buying established studios is cheaper and safer.

Next you're going to try and convince me that a business exists to try and turn a profit. Nice try.

But yeah, I would imagine there are a lot of younger folk here who started gaming post PS2 primarily.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
RaD is the first candidate that comes to mind, but this tidbit is making me question that:

RaD didn't work with Sony ''a bit'', 60% of their output was published by Sony. This goes for pretty much all the others people are considering here too.

Yeah. this is what I highlighted too. We can even consider that Namco fits there sicne they worked with PlayStation before a bit but it's not a mid-sized studio at all. In fact it's now multistudios.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I would guess RAD, they deserve another chance after the Order. Especially when their VR games have been so good, they have a ton of potential and are technically incredible.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna call it: I expect half of those studios to be closed down in a few years after one failure. Compulsion Games, Obsidian, IO Interactive (rumor) and RaD (rumor) are four studios that recently produced games that didn't sell at all.
As far as MS owned studios are concerned, the traditional metric of retail/digital sales relating to the success of the studio will matter less and less to MS's vision of subscription services on multiplatforms that need constant content for it.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Alongside the other reasons it isn't Insomniac, Klobrille confirmed that it isn't Insomniac. EDIT: Beaten

Anyway, like many others, Ready At Dawn is also my prediction.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Housemarque seems like a poor investment, giving their public struggles with sales. Quantic Dream seems like a risky one, given the potential for legal issues around labor, and just how much their games cost. Supermassive would fit, they're probably still pretty cheap and their narrative games would work well in gamepass. Ready at Dawn seems most likely to need a buyer, since it seems like Sony may have cut them loose after The Order.

Status
Not open for further replies.