• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
weird how devs seem more excited about getting a bigger direct cut than continuing to take 30% with the chance of getting more sales in a discount down the road. like to be clear, i think that epic locking up exclusives is definitely annoying (although nowhere near as annoying as on consoles; a console timed exclusive means you're SOL, a storefront exclusive means getting over yourself and downloading a different client) but all this napkin math is arguing around the fact that a storefront offering a bigger cut up front will be more appealing for devs, always. there's a reason indies like itch.io so much

Not down the road.
On day one. When GMG or Voidu, two authorized resellers sells me a AAA game for 48€ instead of 60€... These 12€ I saved are going toward an indie title I really want. Just an exemple: I bought Ace Combat 7 for 45€. With the 15€ saved I bought Wargroove. These discounts happens because the 30% share offers leverage for price competition. Without it, I'm paying games for a full fat 60€. If that was the case, I wouldn't have bought Wargroove.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not act like Steam didn't prerty much own the PC market. The Epic Store getting Exclusivity is a drastic way to be on the map. Otherwise how would they challenged Steam who has all the games and gamers ?

Maybe by providing competitive consumer friendly features, rather than either doing worse/barely on par than Steam in every respect on its consumer friendly features? If Epic actually put in the effort rather than buying their way in people would be happy. As is the Epic Store is worse for consumers, has less features, has less accessibility options (Steam's Controller API is important for handicapped people to play games comfortably), and gives consumers less options to buy their games from.

They could start challenging Steam by trying to make their client competitive. If they weren't capable of doing anything close to that right out of the gate then they should have waited to launch their Store/Updated Client until they were capable of it right away.

Imagine your argument from a real world perspective, a new store called V-Mart is created by a billionaire and is trying to compete with Wal-Mart. How do they do it? They could offer better warranties/a much better refund policy, lower prices on products also at Wal-Mart, special programs like spend X$ get Y$ off, etc, or they could take the lazy way out and offer none of that and instead pay companies to sell their products exclusively at V-Mart and not Wal-Mart. Imagine if you could only get [your favorite food/drink product here] at V-Mart and Wal-Mart/your store of choice could no longer carry it, so you're forced to go to V-Mart even though V-Mart is worse/barely on par than Wal-Mart in every conceivable way other than having your product of choice. (and tbh this analogy works really well, no one gets upset when Costco has their own "1st party exclusive products" in the Kirkland brand, just like no one gets upset that Epic/EA hosts their games on their own stores. But when you bring in 3rd party products, it gets stupid.)

Like, it's really weird how something like GOG has all escaped this seething hatred that Epic is receiving, and it's because they are not paying 3rd party games to go to them exclusively. Hell, GOG actively turns away games that are on Steam with their curation.

e: FWIW I'm not a Steam fanboy - I actively use Origin & GOG Galaxy and buy from both, and tbh I also use Epic to play Fortnite exclusively, but I'm not going to buy anything from Epic's store until they're willing to be competitive in a consumer friendly manner. There's always a better path than 3rd party exclusive buying, they just have to be willing to put in the work. Origin has better support response than Steam and the nice EA subscription pass plans and I like it for that, and GOG does a lot of work in going the extra mile on each game on there to make sure they work well and have goodies for their consumers. Epic offers literally nothing over Steam right now.

Last edited:

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
GoG is a launcher and a store
I feel a burning need to interject here, heh. :)

GOG.com is a store. GOG Galaxy is a launcher. The two are separate enough that either can be used without the other (even if Galaxy doesn't yet have an official, or simple, way of launching non-GOG games). I think it's one of the primary reasons GOG is as successful a Steam competitor as it is. Even one unique storefront feature makes it worthwhile, especially a feature as desirable as DRM absence.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this game looks really awesome!

I don't have a problem with them putting it on Epic Game Store, but if I was the developer I don't think I would trust Epic to treat the game fairly. What guarantee would you have that they don't slash the game's storefront visibility if they think it is detracting from Fortnite's revenue? After the way Epic kinda just pilfered PUBG's premise in short order, giving them any kind of privileged access to your product seems like a not great idea.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
As much as Valve may not like it, pre-release access is a staple of backer/founder tiers. The developer of Jenny LeClue was selling a beta access tier via his Humble Widget until just some weeks ago, for example. Similarly, while the documentation says that pre-orders are limited to select partners, in practice Valve is happy to oblige anybody who requests a pre-order period. It's all just loose guidelines, really.
Mordhau did this too and Valve told them you cannot sell keys without selling on the store. It's either one or none.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this game looks really awesome!

I don't have a problem with them putting it on Epic Game Store, but if I was the developer I don't think I would trust Epic to treat the game fairly. What guarantee would you have that they don't slash the game's storefront visibility if they think it is detracting from Fortnite's revenue? After the way Epic kinda just pilfered PUBG's premise in short order, giving them any kind of privileged access to your product seems like a not great idea.
Other than the fact that the storefront is so empty, you can't effectively reduce visibility. Though that storefront will be a shitshow for discoverability in short order, as soon as more stuff starts to pile up.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
There's a huge chance that all EGS exclusives so far are moneyhats. So it isn't even about the lower cut (yet). Let's wait and see how many games will go EGS exclusive when Epic stops throwing money around. ;)

It's an Unreal Engine game too which means Epic covers royalties. No reason not to release it there.

No moneyhatting needed to convince such devs to release their games on Epic's store.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
It's an Unreal Engine game too which means Epic covers royalties. No reason not to release it there.

No moneyhatting needed to convince such devs to release their games on Epic's store.

The poster said exclusives.

As in let's see how many EGS exclusives games will there be if and when Epic stops paying people for exclusivity.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Mordhau did this too and Valve told them you cannot sell keys without selling on the store. It's either one or none.

Yeah, there is a limit to how many RSO keys Valve will provide in cases like this, and, if memory serves, the devs had to restock a few times. Warhorse eventually ran into the same problem with the Kingdom Come alpha/beta.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

No moneyhatting is required to release your game on Epic's Store. But to release it exclusively here ? Yeah, moneyhatted.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NDA is up. This is the reasoning they had posted for testers
Why the Epic Games store?
A few people in the community have asked why we decided to move the Closed Alpha to the Epic Games store instead of staying on our own launcher or moving to Steam. I can answer that!

1. Our pre-launch development process of building the game while being open with the community is not possible on Steam. On Steam we would either need to be in early access or completely hidden. We feel that the game is still not ready for a completely open release and we want to have control over the number of players joining the game each day to ensure we can keep up a great user experience and our nearly 24/7 uptime. This is the reason we moved to our own launcher in the first place.

2. Our current launcher, while improving, has some issues. We felt that the user experience on the Epic Games store would be better than the current experience. Over the past several years we have used the Unreal Engine and worked with Epic and I know they have a great roadmap of features coming for the launcher.

Now, anyone with any experience with Steam will know that #1 is factually incorrect at best and a purpose lie at worst. It's contradicted even by publically available Steamworks documentation
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/store/testing

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I played a couple hours last night. It feels novel at first but I don't feel like there's much of an 'endgame' part of the match like you get in other BR games. You're geared up pretty quickly and I have no idea what difference an epic or rare gauntlet has over a regular gauntlet.

That said, matches are fairly quick.

Just streamed for four hours and got my first solo win. It takes a while to really "get it" and adjust to the style of combat compared to other battle royales but once you start to learn its depth, its really fun. You can really get a variety of builds and styles going and duels can be quite epic.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This game has some crazy potential...but like another poster said I'm not sure it lends itself particularly well to Battle Royale, it'd be better as a 5v5 deathmatch.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
If this game isn't f2p on the epic game store it's basically dead in the water. And their reasoning is pretty shit.

Also, the game isn't that fun. Didn't enjoy what i played anyway.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO
"we choose to be on Epic because Steam wouldn't allow us to be in closed beta without selling the game on Early Access" ( a lie in itself, mind you)

*proceeds to immediately enter "early access" on Epic Store instead. That makes a lot of sense.
unknown.png

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw games like BallisticNG being free while in alpha and then selling for money once released. What kind of bs is that lol?