• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Has there any new release on Epic Store that hasn't been exclusive? If the game was releasing also on Steam why not simply announce that is just coming too on the Epic Store?
Because there's nothing to announce for the greater public. No full release has been announced, not beta has been spoken of. There is no announcement to make until Feb 12, when the NDA for the pre-alpha lifts.

Again, the game is barely announced at all and this is a big fat nothing burger because there's no sign of the game releasing a full version at all in the near future.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Never, because EA already releases only on their store.

Because there's nothing to announce for the greater public. No full release has been announced, not beta has been spoken of. There is no announcement to make until Feb 12, when the NDA for the pre-alpha lifts.

Again, the game is barely announced at all and this is a big fat nothing burger because there's no sign of the game releasing a full version at all in the near future.

Hades is neither a full launch yet with not full version at all in the near future, and it's was announced as an exclusive. Other games is well.

I don't see the point of hiding it now when other developers stepped in and made their announcements as early.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Has there any new release on Epic Store that hasn't been exclusive? If the game was releasing also on Steam why not simply announce that is just coming too on the Epic Store?

Yeah, the new Subnautica stand alone expansion thing. The ice themed one. That launched on Epic and Steam same day I believe? And My Time at Portia. That launched on both I think.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
lmao, a BR game going to a client that has a third if even, the install base of steam. Thats fine, dig your own grave, never even heard of the game. I care about my triple A games going into the greedy hands of epic shit store, could care less about indies, since i never buy them. So they can use the scummy tactics to get some exposure.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the new Subnautica stand alone expansion thing. The ice themed one. That launched on Epic and Steam same day I believe? And My Time at Portia. That launched on both I think.

Subnautica is still and old game that is being sold on Steam as of now.

My Time at Portia counts I guess, but I think we can stablish a pattern and a clear market strategy.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

I think though that if it just launches on EGS too, they could easily say it instead of deleting threads on the reddit. From what I can see the E-Mail apparently also states that they move away from their own launcher.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Using Valve for pre release Alpha, Betas and free marketing and then going exclusive on another storefront while saying Valve doesn't earn it's 30%. That's a big fat nothing burger to you?
They did not use Valve for marketing or a beta in any way.

Expecting people to do more than reaction-post is asking for too much, I guess. The game has not asked for money yet--it's been in a pre-alpha state that used Steam as a place to download updates. Now that they're heading into Closed Alpha--Which has no way of being paid for yet--they're using the Epic store to let you download updates.

Again, the game isn't remotely close to being out. It's not in a beta. It has not used any Steam or Epic resources for marketing purposes. This is a launcher change that was supposed to happen behind the scenes because there's no reason anyone should have/would have known if someone didn't post it out their ass. It not being on Steam sucks as far as we know, but things could change when the full game is announced--or even the beta is announced.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Expecting people to do more than reaction-post is asking for too much, I guess. The game has not asked for money yet--it's been in a pre-alpha state that used Steam as a place to download updates. Now that they're heading into Closed Alpha--Which has no way of being paid for yet--they're using the Epic store to let you download updates.

They had Founders Pack, didnt they?

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Again, the game isn't remotely close to being out. It's not in a beta. It has not used any Steam or Epic resources for marketing purposes. This is a launcher change that was supposed to happen behind the scenes because there's no reason anyone should have/would have known if someone didn't post it out their ass. It not being on Steam sucks as far as we know, but things could change when the full game is announced--or even the beta is announced.

How is using Valve servers and SDK tools, not using their resources? In any case that's irrelevant at this point. They should make the announcement now and deal with it.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States

Ah, well they took'em out for some reason!

So...you accuse me of being too reactionary while admitting they have used Valve's resources and being wrong yourself. This is getting off topic, but come on.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
How is using Valve servers and SDK tools, not using their resources? In any case that's irrelevant at this point. They should make the announcement now and deal with it.
Is this where we're at now? Poor Valve, developers paying for the SDK and server resources, and then deciding to use something else. Really? You do have to pay storefronts for these things if you're piggy-backing off of their resources as a developer.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Is this where we're at now? Poor Valve, developers paying for the SDK and server resources, and then deciding to use something else. Really? You do have to pay storefronts for these things if you're piggy-backing off of their resources as a developer.

?
You pay 100$ for Steam Direct (to be released on Steam for the storefront without being curated) and can use all of their APIs, storefront, servers, patch-servers etc. for "free" besides the 100% entry fee.
If a developer opts into Steam Translation they can even get a free translation of their storefront if they desire.

Edit: Misread. In the end the devs still used Steam servers for that though and APIs as you can see from the steamdepot.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think they should pay for them (seems you have to do) but it's a thing that may happen in the future is these practices keep happening. In any case I was just pointing at the innacuracy of claiming they didn't used Valve resources.

Is a fact they did. I think, as I said, is irrelevant, but they definitely did.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I hope that even more devs takes that route. In the end this competition will be a good thing for devs as they will have more options and more money in their pockets. A monopoly - as Steam was pretty much - is never good no matter how people wants to slice it.

Having said that in order to be a viable alternative, Epic will need to step up in game in the features and services front - not just on the monetary aspect - where it lacks Steam greatly as this has been pointed out by many folks here on Era.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
?
You pay 100$ for Steam Direct (to be released on Steam for the storefront without being curated) and can use all of their APIs, storefront, servers, patch-servers etc. for "free" besides the 100% entry fee.
If a developer opts into Steam Translation they can even get a free translation of their storefront if they desire.
Do you pay the $100 fee to get your non-released goodies put on Steam? For instance, you haven't released your game yet, but you want to use Valve's servers to distribute patches. The $100 fee still applies. No?

Off-topic: The translation thing is cool as hell.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Leeching off of Steam's infrastructure only to jump ship for launch is scummy. Gonna guess that Valve will close loopholes like these in the near future because of such antics.

You say this like Steam didn't gain from this too.
Nothing really scummy about this, TBH.

It just continues to show that steam is by far the superior product and the only reason to go epic is greed.

Or perhaps it's because when the alpha testing started, the Epic game store didn't exist ?

Either way, the guys behind the game are devs, not consumers. And as far as dev cuts go, the EGS is the superior product.

You're right though. This whole thing is underpinned by Valve's greed in stubbornly sticking to the 30% cut.

OP
OP
Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Do you pay the $100 fee to get your non-released goodies put on Steam? For instance, you haven't released your game yet, but you want to use Valve's servers to distribute patches. The $100 fee still applies. No?

What do you mean by non-released goodies? You pay 100$ for each product/storepage, if you make over 1000$, Steam gives you the 100$ back. If you wanna release DLC, artbooks etc. its included in the 100$ same as the use of their servers, APIs, patches etc.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What do you mean by non-released goodies? You pay 100$ for each product/storepage, if you make over 1000$, Steam gives you the 100$ back. If you wanna release DLC, artbooks etc. its included in the 100$ same as the use of their servers, APIs, patches etc.
Sorry, I super didn't phrase that well. But you also answered my question! So thank you. I was asking if you still had to pay $100 if your game wasn't actually out yet. As in, you don't want a storefront page and any sort of marketing push. From the sound of things, yes, you do pay the $100. You just get to choose what you do/don't want from their package.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
You say this like Steam didn't gain from this too.
Nothing really scummy about this, TBH.

Or perhaps it's because when the alpha testing started, the Epic game store didn't exist ?

Either way, the guys behind the game are devs, not consumers. And as far as dev cuts go, the EGS is the superior product.

You're right though. This whole thing is underpinned by Valve's greed in stubbornly sticking to the 30% cut.

Acting like valve is the only entity in the industry that takes 30% is hilariously disingenuous.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Another example of a game moving to EGS after using Steam for pre-release access. I won't be surprised if Valve updates the SDA in the relatively near future to disallow developers from using Steam as a marketing, testing and/or sales platform only to jump ship somewhere else when the time comes for a public release.
They stopped using steam for the alpha tests awhile ago actually, before EGS was a thing. If you got in on the first 2 waves you still had the steam option though

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
If they want to have a slow and painful death in EGS, by all means, do it. Placing a P2P BR game in the storefront that has the most played BR F2P game right now is the most stupid move I have ever seen.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
They stopped using steam for the alpha tests awhile ago actually, before EGS was a thing. If you got in on the first 2 waves you still had the steam option though

Sort of. You can no longer buy a Founder's Pack with a Steam key, but the Steam version of the pre-alpha is still being supported. They haven't shepherded people away from Steam to their launcher.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Acting like valve is the only entity in the industry that takes 30% is hilariously disingenuous.

They aren't the only ones on PC. But the pendulum is beginning to shift to the other side, and they're the most significant outlier. Additionally, they've got a stranglehold on PC gaming at the moment, a whole lot of Indies depend on sales on their platform for survival so they're the ones that can actually make the most impact.

It's made even worse that they're perfectly willing to drop their cut for mega publishers only.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Sort of. You can no longer buy a Founder's Pack with a Steam key, but the Steam version of the pre-alpha is still being supported. They haven't shepherded people away from Steam to their launcher.
Oh I assumed they stopped all testing on Steam. Yeah that's not cool (still really like the game though)

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't the only ones on PC. But the pendulum is beginning to shift to the other side, and they're the most significant outlier. Additionally, they've got a stranglehold on PC gaming at the moment, a whole lot of Indies depend on sales on their platform for survival so they're the ones that can actually make the most impact.

It's made even worse that they're perfectly willing to drop their cut for mega publishers only.

They have such a stranglehold on PC gaming that devs feel comfortable co-releasing on GOG, uplay, origin, itch, humble, windows store etc, right? Or is the stranglehold really the one who is trying to get games as exclusives to their platform?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
With this and Dauntless Epic has some potentially neat games in their Launcher. Hopefully both being more prominent om the Epic store front will help the devs out. Both games are fun.

Dauntless is on Epic now? How did I miss that? Man, I bought the founders pack a while ago, they are keeping their stand alone launcher, I hope?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it's almost like people choosed to be on Steam.
And it's almost like only Steam agreed to carry a whole lot of indies which aren't welcome elsewhere.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Dauntless is on Epic now? How did I miss that? Man, I bought the founders pack a while ago, they are keeping their stand alone launcher, I hope?
Not yet but it will be. Accounts will need to be merged with an Epic account as it wil be exclusive to the store. It was probably easier for them to go this route since they are planning a mobile version alongside the console versions with full crossplay and universal accounts. All that is already in place with Fortnite.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
a whole lot of Indies depend on sales on their platform for survival so they're the ones that can actually make the most impact.
the indies rely on steam because most other clients won't take them until they're already super successful... And they can't become successful until... Yadda yadda yadda

but yes im excited for when epic game store somehow saves all the indies while at the same time not filling their store with hundreds of things and having discoverability issues

itll be great

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No name BR game sent to die. Really disliking this epic atitude specially when their launcher is anemic when compared to Steam, unless they up their game i will not give a penny to them (and i really wanted to play metro but i Will have to wait for the Steam release).

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Not yet but it will be. Accounts will need to be merged with an Epic account as it wil be exclusive to the store. It was probably easier for them to go this route since they are planning a mobile version alongside the console versions with full crossplay and universal accounts. All that is already in place with Fortnite.

Damn, I spent $60 on the pack and the game is fun, will have to install the damn EGS again for this.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Well until Valve starts suing them they will keep doing this because there is no other service on PC where you can do these kind of testing without store page as far as i know.

...why would Valve be able to sue anyone over this?

I think the recent Epic situation in general is kinda not great for people, but Valve suing them is ridiculous.