• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Last edited:

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Moving a paid GaaS title without a name to a service with not many users sounds like a bold move.
Moving a paid GaaS Battle Royale game without a name to the Fortnite launcher sounds like a dumb move.
Time will tell.

Deleted member 16849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why that game needs to be a Battle Royale. Seems like the gameplay is more suited to be a 5v5 game. I'm going to straight up tell you guys the industry won't be able to sustain many BR games for much longer outside a few choice games. We are seeing all these 60-100 match games and equivalent exchange says you are taking players away from other games that would of had those players.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Instead of the usual launching games on their services, they move the thing onto their store without offering the consumer choice. This is a huge red herring in their strategy. I dont think that this move will help this dev. tbh.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Another example of a game moving to EGS after using Steam for pre-release access. I won't be surprised if Valve updates the SDA in the relatively near future to disallow developers from using Steam as a marketing, testing and/or sales platform only to jump ship somewhere else when the time comes for a public release.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Another example of a game moving to EGS after using Steam for pre-release access. I won't be surprised if Valve updates the SDA in the relatively near future to disallow developers from using Steam as a marketing, testing and/or sales platform only to jump ship somewhere else when the time comes for a public release.

Was there even a Steam page for this game yet? I know it has a Steam DB listing, but so do many other unreleased games.

Also, I think this is a bad move for them unless they are planning on going F2P.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
This game just assured that it won't be a success. Also, they're deleting every post about the Epic Game Store on their discord lol

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Also, Is this not going to be free to play? They are selling founders packs so i always assumed it was going to be. Definitely feels like a free to play game

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Deal was made before Apex Legends was announced.

Also not showing the player numbers is a good thing in this case. There are so many BR games on Steam that have less than 100 players. Not knowing that a game is basically dead means potential players are more likely to try it.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Steam should have never gotten this big with these ridiculous pay cuts, what's the issue with devs moving somewhere else?

30% isn't absurd. While there is argument to be made that it's too high, and I myself agree with that sentiment, it's not as though Valve is taking more than Apple, CDPR, Microsoft, Sony, etc. I'd also add that it's unlikely Epic will be taking only 12% forever: at some point, it's going to stop asking customers to foot the bill for payment processing fees, increase its cut to compensate, and spin the move as a humanitarian effort about how it's "listening to [its] customers". I don't see the waiving of the UE royalty fee going anywhere, however. That'll forever be a feather in the store's cap.

Last edited:

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Deal was made before Apex Legends was announced.

Also not showing the player numbers is a good thing in this case. There are so many BR games on Steam that have less than 100 players. Not knowing that a game is basically dead means potential players are more likely to try it.
And because reviews are not available, players wont be able to tell others that the game is death.

Genius!!

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

They definitely should. If a game is going to skip Steam then I'd prefer to see others games highlighted and advertized that I can actually buy on the service.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
A paid battle royale game on the Fortnite store? That seems ill advised.

Devil's advocate, other BR games (including paid ones) have found success on other platforms where Fortnite is available. PUBG and Blackout haven't seemed to suffer much from 'everyone will just play Fortnite because it's free' on consoles.

I do agree that this seems more and more like a genre that would benefit from the F2P model though. Especially a new IP with a virtually unknown name.

Maybe, if this game is a paid game, it'll launch into Epic's biweekly free games promotion and then launch paid later. Go the Rocket League route.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was looking to buy a founders pack for this game seeing as it is in pre-alpha.....

They're now not available anymore.

What kind of developer releases founders packs for a pre alpha game for a limited time?

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck out of here with this nonsense man. Epic really thinks they on that Activision/EA swag just because of Fortnite man and it's really pissing me off.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Well until Valve starts suing them they will keep doing this because there is no other service on PC where you can do these kind of testing without store page as far as i know.

Sotonian

Oct 25, 2017
a DOA battle royale game on the Epic store. Will be lucky to get 100 people buying the game, let alone 100 in a single match

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same week EA compels me to reinstall Origin with an actual great exclusive BR game.

Can't wait until Fortnite flames out.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Moving a paid GaaS title without a name to a service with not many users sounds like a bold move.
Moving a paid GaaS Battle Royale game without a name to the Fortnite launcher sounds like a dumb move.
Time will tell.
How do you know how many users EGS has? Is that number readily available somewhere? Genuinely curious.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Is there an official announcement of this game going to the Epic store?

They are still using Steam for their beta tests right now: https://steamdb.info/app/803370/history/
last update 10 hours ago

If they really become Epic exclusive Valve should kick the game from Steam immediately
So they are still using Steam to test a game that they have no intention to release in it? What a fucking shitty thing to do. If they ever complain about the 30% cut that Steam takes, I want to hear if they really think that those services that they are using and all the other features that the EGS lacks are not worthy of the cut, and if they are not, why not doing that testing somewhere else.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
???? Game isn't OUT yet. It's using Epic to launch it's closed alpha test right now. It's been in pre-alpha on steam for a while now. They're likely deleting posts on Discord because NDA. Which I'm breaking by just saying this.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Royale games seem to be all the rage. No way the market can support them all. I hear Black ops 4 is struggling already.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even heard of this game. Moving to Epic seems to be a strategy for getting your game in the news now.

Lack of attention is especially bad for a battle royale game that needs a high player count.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Leeching off of Steam's infrastructure only to jump ship for launch is scummy. Gonna guess that Valve will close loopholes like these in the near future because of such antics.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
???? Game isn't OUT yet. It's using Epic to launch it's closed alpha test right now. It's been in pre-alpha on steam for a while now. They're likely deleting posts on Discord because NDA. Which I'm breaking by just saying this.

Has there any new release on Epic Store that hasn't been exclusive? If the game was releasing also on Steam why not simply announce that is just coming too on the Epic Store?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Leeching off of Steam's infrastructure only to jump ship for launch is scummy. Gonna guess that Valve will close loopholes like these in the near future because of such antics.

It just continues to show that steam is by far the superior product and the only reason to go epic is greed.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
With this and Dauntless Epic has some potentially neat games in their Launcher. Hopefully both being more prominent om the Epic store front will help the devs out. Both games are fun.