• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Phoenix was legendary in that role.

I'm seriously hoping they tie his character in with the Batman film series.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Unnecessary and bound to be diminished returns but hey Joaquin is a wizard so maybe he can do it all single handedly again

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, Phoenix was excellent. Would really like to see the character expand into the wider Batman world.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're definitely going to milk this for all it's worth after the money they just made

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
ill believe it when i see it, i dont see joaquin coming back, dude already won an oscar for it, its only downhill from here

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Would love to see a Batman movie with Phoenix's Joker. He was amazing.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I actually think it would be an incredible move if in a future Batman movie, Phoenix's Joker shows up as a feeble old man, having lived out his days in the mental institution - completely unaware that the riot he started back in the 70s sent the whole world into madness. So you just have a generation of gangsters who have only heard about the Joker as this sort of modern folk hero - seeing him in person as what he truly is - a hollow shell of a man.

Probably couldn't do it in the Pattinson timeline (unless The Batman actually takes place in like, the mid-90s) - but you could certainly build up to it.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the first movie, but doubt a sequel could be as good. Hope to be positively surprised though!

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I mean obviously, the movie did good critically and great commercially, of course it's getting a sequel.

I can't think of any other movie I've ever watched that I felt so little about. I didn't hate it, there were certainly good parts, but I can't say I liked it either. It just....kinda existed, appearing to look deep but not really saying anything, showing these solid performances but not really doing anything. Maybe a second movie can tickle my fancy more, or maybe everyone will come to the same conclusion I did now that the novelty's gone. Who's to know.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Unnecessary and bound to be diminished returns but hey Joaquin is a wizard so maybe he can do it all single handedly again
98d9213882cc366d92afcdb70c8ba2a6.gif

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I'm part of the minority that didn't like Joker so I dunno. Don't really like the kind of energy Phoenix brings to the role, it's not very Joker-like.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure where they would even go from the first movie.

Pheonix was great but I see nowhere the character could evolve into without glorifying him.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
Eh, I'll see it. Let's see how far this train goes.

I actually think it would be an incredible move if in a future Batman movie, Phoenix's Joker shows up as a feeble old man, having lived out his days in the mental institution - completely unaware that the riot he started back in the 70s sent the whole world into madness. So you just have a generation of gangsters who have only heard about the Joker as this sort of modern folk hero - seeing him in person as what he truly is - a hollow shell of a man.

I'm into this idea.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
The 1st movie led to so much destruction, can the world survive a sequel or 2?

Enjoyed the movie, could've been fine as a solo for sure so interested on how they continue it. Made so much money on such a small budget they'd be stupid to not try. At the end shit is a business.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I still say a sequel should be about Harley Quinn and it explores how someone "normal" can end up falling into a cult. Joker will be a looming Jim Jones/Charles Manson/Hannibal figure in Arkham.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Mediocre critically actually
Depends how you're judging it. Several major awards from both festivals and the Academy. Plus, most of the reviews were written as the movie was becoming a flashpoint for controversy. It's hard to separate the movie from the environment into which it was released.

(All this said, it's a serviceable film overall. Visually derivative, but with a solid score and a very compelling lead performance. It'd be measurably better if it wasn't tied to the Batman canon.)

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Depends how you're judging it. Several major awards from both festivals and the Academy. Plus, most of the reviews were written as the movie was becoming a flashpoint for controversy. It's hard to separate the movie from the environment into which it was released.

(All this said, it's a serviceable film overall. Visually derivative, but with a solid score and a very compelling lead performance. It'd be measurably better if it wasn't tied to the Batman canon.)

No one would care about it if it wasn't tied to Batman canon

It's the whole facade of Comic Book movie but it's actually "art" that made it anything.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
No one would care about it if it wasn't tied to Batman canon

It's the whole facade of Comic Book movie but it's actually "art" that made it anything.
I think if the film was just about a guy taking on a clown persona, it'd at least feel like an earnest commentary on comic book culture - rather than a comic book movie attempting to do commentary on itself.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Joker was great. As a very bleak and grounded one-off alternate universe kind of thing.

It would be nice if it could stay that way, but of course no studio would leave sequel money on the table after the kind of surprise success that happened to Joker.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I think if the film was just about a guy taking on a clown persona, it'd at least feel like an earnest commentary on comic book culture - rather than a comic book movie attempting to do commentary on itself.

The movie is literally a really basic "prestige" pastiche.

Without the Joker trappings that would be even more exposed

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
The question isn't whether Warners are developing a sequel but whether they can get Phoenix (and I suppose Todd Philips) to return for a possible sequel(s).

The Hollywood Reporter had an interview with Steven Mosko, CEO of Village Roadshow, one of the companies that co-financed the film with WB, and he said words to the effect of "we're waiting for the script to come in" on Joker 2 but because it was on the industry side of the site no one read it. I even posted it in the DC OT but it didn't gain much traction there either.

In fact, from June this year...........

Q- What's up with the Joker sequel?

A - We're keeping our fingers crossed that a great script comes in and we see a Joker 2.

www.hollywoodreporter.com

Village Roadshow CEO Teases Future of ‘Matrix’ Franchise, ‘Joker’ Sequel

Village Roadshow Entertainment Group CEO Steve Mosko discussed the health of the film industry, 'Joker 2' prospects and the 'Breaking Bad' greenlight meeting.

So yeah, as you were.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I caught wind of this today. Is it really happening? I can't imagine a sequel having the same success that the original had.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what this movie would be about but I definitely wanna see more of this Joker and that world. He's just too great of a character to never see again.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really like the movie.

I don't know if there should be a sequel.

Then I again I was similarly down on the first movie until I actually saw it. So idk, surprise me once again Phoenix.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I don't know what this movie would be about but I definitely wanna see more of this Joker and that world. He's just too great of a character to never see again.

Same! Do they take a bit more inspiration from the comics this time?

In an ideal world they'd do a trilogy. For the sequel they could start with The Clown Prince of Crime, where we see how Fleck rises through the criminal underworld. For the third movie we'd end it with the Killing Joke.