• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The Doctor is special because of the things they do and stand for, not because they're literally, textually, the bestest individual who exists, has ever existed, or will ever exist.

And on top of that, they were special in that they were a renegade representative of a godlike species that normally doesn't intervene with what they deem lesser evolved species. Rebelling aganist that and finding the beauty in all forms of life was what made them special. The timless child actively works to make the Doctor less interesting, as it removes that rebellious aspect of their personality. They are now, after all, not really rebelling against their own nature or society, but against the people who took advantage of them, while at the same time becoming some kind of christ-like figure.

To play devils advocate, I think Chibnall wanted to bring back some aspect of mystery to the character. The title of the show is Doctor Who, and the identity of the doctor was very slowly unravelled over literally decades. The time lords wasn't even a thing until the second doctor regenerated, and I have no doubt there were people who had opinions about that reveal back in the day as well. After the show was brought back there was so much information available on the Doctor that Davies wisely introduced the character as the last survivor of an unimaginable war, bringing back some mystery to the Doctor. But Moffats entire run was dedicated to dissecting the character (and the time lords, to some extent) to the point of absurdity, which resulted in any real mystery being pretty much gone by the end of his tenure. I can see how Chibnall wanted to make the character an enigma to the viewer again, and not just to their companions. It just gets absurd to pile on even more secret backstory to a character who is already so convoluted as the Doctor, and Chibnall really didn't even build up to it in an intriguing way. It was an infodump more than anything.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for Jodie's stand-out performance, akin to something like 12's Zygon Inversion speech. She's been really fucking boring for the most part, if likeable enough.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
So she was a good Doctor? I stoped watching after the first Capaldi season.
Same, I only watched one Capaldi ep(the dino premier one). I loved Tennant and I thought the last arc Smith and Gillan was amazing. I think I got burnt out since I came to Doctor Who late and marathoned it up until the Capaldi premier.

From the sounds of it though, I didn't miss much.

Oct 25, 2017
My fear is that the BBC will get the wrong message and forbid another woman to play the Doctor, thinking she was the problem and not the showrunner.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Capaldi's era was way better than Jodie's era so far for me, the degree to which the actors have been let down by the stories just isn't on the same level - Capaldi had some truly great episodes and scenes (I really enjoyed the character arcs too) but Jodie's era has been downright dull. It's a blessing Capaldi wasn't saddled with Chibnall as showrunner.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
iirc RTD said that Moffat's scripts were the only ones he never touched. But writing 1-2 scripts a year is a hell of a different workload compared to writing a half dozen AND running the entire for eight consecutive years.

RTD actually also said never touched Chibnall's stuff either, interestingly. In that sense, the order of succession was sort of suggested from right back in Series 3 with 42. I guess RTD didn't touch Chibs' stuff because Chibnall had been heavily coached for running Torchwood though

Oct 25, 2017
It's such a waste that we only had a season of Bill and Nardole, while a non-entity like Yaz gets to be in the show for three years.
FOR REAL
That last season with Bill & Nardole felt like they finally found the perfect fit for the 12th Doctor and it's a DAMN shame we only got one season of it
The preceding Capaldi seasons had some great highlights but still felt like they were struggling to find the right direction for his doctor, and then series 10 nailed it
I hope they can all come back for audio dramas together down the road, I still crave more
I love the 12th Doctor. When he's good he's damn good

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Well I figured the next one will definitely be male. But further down the line at least (assuming Chibnall doesn't end up getting the show cancelled)
My gut tells me Chibnall won't get the show canceled, but I assume, if the ratings continue to tank, which they have been for the most part, that he objectively can't hold his position forever.

May 26, 2018
FOR REAL
That last season with Bill & Nardole felt like they finally found the perfect fit for the 12th Doctor and it's a DAMN shame we only got one season of it
The preceding Capaldi seasons had some great highlights but still felt like they were struggling to find the right direction for his doctor, and then series 10 nailed it
I hope they can all come back for audio dramas together down the road, I still crave more
I love the 12th Doctor. When he's good he's damn good

Capaldi is probably the best Doctor, sans anyone's personal favorite. The man played every single doctor all rolled into one, while being a psychologically unique person that didn't blandly ape them. He represented both himself and the entire history of the character. It was an incredible feat.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time of the Doctor is peak Moff garbage writing for me

Like I struggle to understand that the same person who wrote all those great RTD era eps wrote this. I sometimes wonder if RTD was rejecting some of Moff's more out-there ideas. Or maybe it was just the pressure of being showrunner (plus the sherlock stuff) led him to have less time to write his eps.
I guess writing one-offs kept the Moffat-ness out of the larger picture: the characters were allowed to grow in other episodes, but had some suggested interactions in the Moffat eps, and no weird larger-than-life twists as answer for everything.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I do think the 14th Doctor will also be a woman.

Capaldi is probably the best Doctor, sans anyone's personal favorite. The man played every single doctor all rolled into one, while being a psychologically unique person that didn't blandly ape them. He represented both himself and the entire history of the character. It was an incredible feat.
Capaldi's is imo the best ever Doctor performance. And I think Moffat also wrote in him the most interesting Doctor. I know many would disagree that the Doctor needs to have an arc at all, but I think his journey from someone who barely recognizes himself (figuratively and literally) to someone who, by the end, is trying to teach his archnemesis the value of kindness is incredibly well done -- and not something I was able to really appreciate, either, until I rewatched all three of his seasons closely together.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I also liked Demons of Punjab a lot. A setting you never see on western tv, about a time period that isnt talked about, and a tragic story to boot, also adds some characterization toward a companion.

It was one of the better episodes of their first season, for sure. I still don't think I would put it on any top 10 or top 20 lists though.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a testament to how bland Chibnall's tenure has been so far that the conversation has somehow reverted back to discussing Moffat again.

Frankly, I think there's plenty of fair criticism to be voiced against Moffat, but both Smith and Capaldi were very well fleshed out Doctors. Yet even after two full seasons of Whitaker's Doctor I still don't feel like there's a coherent personality or identity to her role. It's the very basics that Chibnall's struggling with.

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
I do think the 14th Doctor will also be a woman.
giphy.gif

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
How has Doctor Who been these days? I kinda checked out at the end of the Matt Smith ein because the writing just became too bad.

May 19, 2020
i watched her first episode and it was boring as shit. saw no reason to continue

this is pretty much at the feet of the head writer, jodie is a good actress given shit material to work with not unlike peter capaldi era.

Oct 25, 2017
However highly people think of the 12th Doctor, he's likely still underrated
The stories had their ups and downs but Capaldi's 12th was impeccable

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I also liked Demons of Punjab a lot. A setting you never see on western tv, about a time period that isnt talked about, and a tragic story to boot, also adds some characterization toward a companion.
Series 11 was a bit annoying in that way, there was a few gems that you made you think Chibnall's era had more potential.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Capaldi's last season fucking rules. That's the best one since like S5.
It's by far Moffat's best season (excluding the Finale Special which is abysmal) primarily because it has very few Moffat-isms in it.
If you told me he hadn't made that series at all I'd buy it.

People on here fucking hated that series at the time and I called it back then that people would come around on it and it's slowly but surely happening lol.

Frankly, I think there's plenty of fair criticism to be voiced against Moffat, but both Smith and Capaldi were very well fleshed out Doctors. Yet even after two full seasons of Whitaker's Doctor I still don't feel like there's a coherent personality or identity to her role. It's the very basics that Chibnall's struggling with.
I do agree with this. But I feel like it's in part due to having so many companions, so nobody feels fleshed out enough as a result. They probably should have done a season with a single companion before diving into three of them.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I do agree with this. But I feel like it's in part due to having so many companions, so nobody feels fleshed out enough as a result. They probably should have done a season with a single companion before diving into three of them.

I always thought from the get-go that Chibs was sort of building his own version of the 5th Doctor era with a nice, boring, slightly miscast Doctor, and a full crew. I still feel that way. So that makes John Bishop the new Turlough.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was scrolling through Facebook and saw an article about who could replace Jodie from the Mirror. I wasn't going to click on it but did because the picture they used was of 2 white male actors and I had to know what shit they were suggesting.

...and then I saw the suggestion of Gillian Anderson playing the Doctor and oh man I need it to happen lol

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Here's my crazy theory for you all... John Bishop is the next Doctor. We know he's a companion in the next season but I believe he is the Doctor who has used the Chameleon Arch for some reason and has no idea who they are and they get swept up in the Doctor's antics without realising they are them.

Do I want this to happen? Not really. It's just something that popped into my head tonight and I doubt it will happen but had to write it down just incase... that 0.1% chance it does happen... that I called it.

Oct 25, 2017
I was scrolling through Facebook and saw an article about who could replace Jodie from the Mirror. I wasn't going to click on it but did because the picture they used was of 2 white male actors and I had to know what shit they were suggesting.

...and then I saw the suggestion of Gillian Anderson playing the Doctor and oh man I need it to happen lol

That would be badass, but I don't think it will happen. She was born in Chicago. Can't imagine them breaking tradition of British actors.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Here's my crazy theory for you all... John Bishop is the next Doctor. We know he's a companion in the next season but I believe he is the Doctor who has used the Chameleon Arch for some reason and has no idea who they are and they get swept up in the Doctor's antics without realising they are them.

Do I want this to happen? Not really. It's just something that popped into my head tonight and I doubt it will happen but had to write it down just incase... that 0.1% chance it does happen... that I called it.

They literally already used that plot point already

I think they just like the inversion Doctor young girl Companion old man
Graham being taken as the Doctor by unit was a funny moment =P

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I loved Capaldi, but he was stuck most of the time with Clara, who I abhorred.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I dropped off after Capaldi left, he was my favorite Doctor along with Nine. I've been kinda interested in watching the newer episodes, but any time anyone talks about it they say it's bad, so then I lose interest. Anyway, just reading thread it seems like nuWho has hit its peak, its seems like most people left after Eleven left and by that the point the show was 8 years old. I don't think a new showrunner will bring people back, it seems like most people are tired of Doctor Who. It's ok, it happens most people drop off shows when they been around for many years like The Simpsons and Mythbusters.

Oh, another thing I think hurts Doctor Who is its sporadic release schedule, it seems like it takes forever for new episodes to come out and it seems some people lose interest due to that too.

Oct 25, 2017
If that's true, then he's probably going to kill the show. He's been absolutely atrocious.
iirc this last series was the least watched of any in the entire 2005 revival era
and (again iirc) the last finale was the least watched of its season, even people who started it didn't care how it ended
the ratings actually shot way up for chibnalls first series, people were back in big numbers and interested in giving it a chance
which goes to show that the show/brand isn't dead, the viewers are totally willing to come back in big numbers
but that season totally failed to convince and the result was way more people leaving than ever
The show is dying under chibnall
and if they ditch jodie yet keep chibnall then we're heading back toward the wilderness

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
The Guardian has the inevitable 'Here's a bunch of vaguely popular people to replace Whittaker who will never actually be cast' but I thought this paragraph was bang on point:

However, there is something about Whittaker's Doctor that still feels new, possibly because of how frustratingly half-formed she feels. She hasn't been given a chance to reach her potential, instead spending her episodes pinging about without agency, insulated from any action by her millions and millions of companions. Whittaker comes across as funny, sharp, dorky and silly in interviews, but all she has demonstrated on the show is an ability to be simultaneously confused and out of breath. She is a better Doctor in real life than the material she has been given, which is a crying shame.

www.theguardian.com

Time's up: which actor could replace Jodie Whittaker in Doctor Who?

With rumours swirling that she will depart as the Doctor, we ask which stars are in the frame to take over

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The Guardian has the inevitable 'Here's a bunch of vaguely popular people to replace Whittaker who will never actually be cast' but I thought this paragraph was bang on point:

www.theguardian.com

Time's up: which actor could replace Jodie Whittaker in Doctor Who?

With rumours swirling that she will depart as the Doctor, we ask which stars are in the frame to take over

have the betting odds started? can't wait to see where Chris Marshall lands again.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
There's only one man I would choose to be the next Doctor and that would be Richard Ayoade. That being said I kinda wish we werent doing only 3 seasons with Jodie.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to beat the Daniel Kaluuya drum again. He was rumoured for 12, and how good would that have been!?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one man I would choose to be the next Doctor and that would be Richard Ayoade. That being said I kinda wish we werent doing only 3 seasons with Jodie.
He would no doubt be one of the greatest Doctors of all time but I feel like he is above the show at this point.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to beat the Daniel Kaluuya drum again. He was rumoured for 12, and how good would that have been!?
I don't think he's going to be sidelining his movie career to do Doctor Who for 3-4 years.

I like T'Nia Miller or Claire Foy myself. Actually now that I think of it, any of the women from Bly Manor would be great, haha.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
He would no doubt be one of the greatest Doctors of all time but I feel like he is above the show at this point.

It's possible you're right, but how fantastic it would be.

My old casting want was Hugh Laurie before we had 12. I think Richard could bring an equally strong level of snark and hilarity. Other than them Im not familiar with enough other actors whom would be good, but Im sure theres a lot. I think Joide has been really good even when the material isn't always. When she does have good episodes she shines much more.

Oct 25, 2017
If they did replace her I can't think of who I'd personally want
Well, I can think of a few. But most actors I think of are probably too big for this role because I'm not too familiar with britain's up and comers
like I doubt Chiwetel Ejiofor is down for three or four years on a kid/family show but that would be awesome
Tilda Swinton isn't touching this
Michael Sheen would be a riot, he might