• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Jodie Whittaker is quitting at the end of the next Doctor Who series, when she will regenerate into the 14th Time Lord.The 38-year-old has told bosses she intends to stick to the traditional rule of leaving after three stints in the TARDIS, like the majority of her predecessors.One insider said: "It's all very hush-hush but it is known on set that Jodie is leaving and they are gearing up for a regeneration."Her departure is top secret but at some point over the coming months the arrival of the 14th Doctor will need to be filmed. It's very exciting." says Insiders.

Insiders claim Whittaker is keen to take on other roles, the source said she will follow co-stars Bradley Walsh and Tosin Cole out of the door later this year, but showrunner Chris Chibnall is to remain.Filming on the current run of the BBC sci-fi show is due to finish this summer and it will air in the autumn.

The 38-year-old has told bosses she intends to stick to the traditional rule of leaving after three stints in the TARDIS, like the majority of her predecessors.
David Tennant did the same, but extended his tenure with special shows. Whittaker, the first female ever cast as the Doctor, will find quitting an emotional moment.She once said: "If I even think about leaving, it makes me cry. When it happens, I can pre-empt it will be my most devastating moment. "I absolutely adore it. At some point, these shoes are going to be handed on, but it's not yet. I'm clinging on tight."

Other Doctors to leave after three runs include William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Peter Davison, Sylvester McCoy, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.

Personally i have my doubts especially considering what Jodie said in the middle of this year about wanting to continue Doctor Who as long as possible (i could definetly be wrong though)

www.mirror.co.uk

Doctor Who star Jodie Whittaker quits after three years as Time Lord

EXCLUSIVE: Doctor Who bosses are planning for the Time Lord's fourteenth regeneration after Jodie Whittaker decided she will leave after the next series which airs in the UK in the Autumn later this year

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
She's done 3 years right? Sound about right.

That being said, she can stay, she's been fine.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's been pretty clear she loves the role. It's not her fault the writing is all over the place.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm always a little bummed to see amazing talent like Jodi's wasted by the current showrunner/writers....although wasted might be too strong of a word.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
She's been carrying these last two series.

Without her acting, it's going to be difficult to make the terrible material work.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I like her but if this is true I'd say it's a good decision still. Even if we had the absolute best Doctor ever I'd still want them to regenerate eventually. It's a part of the show and I like it.

She's been good though. But a bit like Tennant I think her good performances have been shafted by some right shite episodes.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
Keep Jodie and toss Chibnail. When they announced he was running the show I tried to be positive but they guy has literally written all my least favorite episodes. I watched maybe the first 3 episodes of Jodie's run. I dont have a problem with her its just the writing and too many people in the Tardis.

If Jodie leaves I have a feeling it wont be on her terms.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Hope so, she's so bland. But that's also a show runner issue.

Wish Chib would be following.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Jodie is great but it's time for Chibnall to go. He's clearly not suited for the role.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Her doctor has been awful, I can't just blame the showrunner. The latest retcon doctor made it worse, she was better in every way.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like showrunning DW is a curse. I remember every fan feeling it was a dream come true when Moffat was slated to come on and we all know how that turned out.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Jodie is great but it's time for Chibnall to go. He's clearly not suited for the role.

This story states Chibnall is staying and will cast the next Doctor, so there you go.

This is just a rumor, but it is worth noting that The Mirror has a very, very good track record with Doctor Who rumors, going back a decade plus, so I'd have to guess this is legit.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Chibnail is apparantly staying on.

Worst timeline, etc.
Now this is the bad news here.

A pity we are losing her and not Chibnal who has made me be bored of Doctor Who when it was my favourite thing ever. Very little episodes from his run are actually something I will watch on repeats.
Its like 60% of his run feel like im watching "Fear Her" on repeat.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Jodi as the Doctor (i dropped off with Capaldi, but not b/c of him but the story) but man the show feels so dire.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
So she was a good Doctor? I stoped watching after the first Capaldi season.

She's a potentially great Doctor let down by having the weakest material of the modern era. Some of her better material is honestly stuff she recorded at home during the lockdown and made up on the spot.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Like Capaldi before her, it sucks seeing a really good performer getting saddled with a questionable creative team (although at least Capaldi got Heaven Sent).

It's honestly impressive how bland and forgettable Chibnall's Doctor Who stint has been.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Love Jodie, and I was so excited for her run as the Doctor, but the only episode I find myself rewatching of her run so far is the first New Year's Day special. Everything else has just been dull, certainly thanks to Chibbs.

Oct 25, 2017
Like Capaldi before her, it sucks seeing a really good performer getting saddled with a questionable creative team (although at least Capaldi got Heaven Sent).

It's honestly impressive how bland and forgettable Chibnall's Doctor Who stint has been.

When did he actually take over? Was it Capaldi's first series or before then? I feel like somewhere between Amy/Rory and Clara is when I felt the show beginning to slip too much into "every episode must be epic"

Edit: I've since been informed it was with Jodie's season he got full control

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
When did he actually take over? Was it Capaldi's first series or before then? I feel like somewhere between Amy/Rory and Clara is when I felt the show beginning to slip too much into "every episode must be epic"

The current showrunner took over with Jodie. Capaldi's era was the same core production team, and the same showrunner, as Smith's era.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like showrunning DW is a curse. I remember every fan feeling it was a dream come true when Moffat was slated to come on and we all know how that turned out.
Both Moffat and Russel T had had amazing parts in their runs, and other that havent been as good.
Chibnall has been awful through a through. Its completely different.
Also lets not try to forget that even at its most crticised Russel and Moffat was in their crazy nonsensical stuff, but that stuff could be actually also fun. Chibnall is making the worst doctor who possible, the BORING doctor who.
Give me crazy Moffat or Russel t over his shit any day of the week

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
I don't know why but her run feels kinda short compared to the past two doctors (If this rumor pans out of course).

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Such a shame the first female Doctor had some really plain writing. I would love to see her under a more competent show runner.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I don't know why but her run feels kinda short compared to the past two doctors (If this rumor pans out of course).

Slightly shorter seasons, and Moffat had more gaps between some of his seasons too, with seasons 6 and 7 getting split into two halves aired half a year apart, and a year long hiatus during Capaldi's era. So the wait for Smith and Capaldi episodes often felt longer.

Anyway, with how many sources have picked up and ran with this today, I'm going to assume there's something credible here. Which is a shame, Jodie has been great.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
That's a shame, but that's seems to be how long a Doctor lasts in Nu Who, with the exception of Eccleston of course.