• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
A $1-200 console is going to serverely limit devs until 2017. This is bad news.
Same cpu, they'll just lower the res, shadows, and textures and call it a day. There will probably be just 1 dev kit and they can make both versions like the current X dev kit but without all of the esram hassle.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hope Microsoft continues to offer their first party games on PC aswell. That's been a real bonus in my opinion and allows me to still buy their games without having to buy a console.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. It's very, very smart. One is disc less and a streaming / Digital entry machine and the other is your power house. Love the choices.

But history literally says otherwise. The most substantial difference has been that the older systems have been left behind. Except this means you'll be left behind at launch or buy the premium. We know devs don't aim for the bottom end systems, they want to wow people. That will come at the expense of the base system owners.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
It seems pretty clear that MS is targeting anaconda for native 4k. If that is the case, the Lockhart can handle the same games at 1080p.

If games don't target native 4k then we might have an issue.

The console will be gimped and further, the push for streaming will require all games to be even more lag tolerant then they are now. It is going to affect developement negatively if you like games that push tech and are highly responsive. There is no spinning of this as a good thing in terms of pushing tech and game feel.

Of course, the market will most likely embrace cheap box with lag tolerant games if the success of BR is anything to go by.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
But history literally says otherwise. The most substantial difference has been that the older systems have been left behind. Except this means you'll be left behind at launch or buy the premium. We know devs don't aim for the bottom end systems, they want to wow people. That will come at the expense of the base system owners.

If they have to run on base systems, then that will be the target. It will be the limiting factor, or the baseline if you will.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Economies of scale. Still very doubtful for me. Would love it, though.

I don't know. Some games like Anthem really benefit from a SSD. And a 1 TB SSD only costs 130€. So it would make a lot sense if Sony and Microsoft only support SSD drives in their upcoming consoles.

It makes sense and it would indeed be awesome, I just don't see the price (at this current point in time) being manageable. Of course, as mentioned the sheer scale and perhaps smaller margins from the manufacturers could be a big help.

Still, until MS or Sony come out and announce SSD's, I'm gonna check that particular box as "extremely doubtful".

Hybrid drives seems a lot more plausible, as they'd allow for bigger storage (vs base XB1 and PS4) and faster speeds than regular HDD's (though, slower than the NVMe solutions of course). Plus they're a lot more affordable. A 2TB SSHD by Seagate goes for like $99 or less, while a 1TB variant is probably close to $60-$70.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they have to run on base systems, then that will be the target. It will be the limiting factor, or the baseline if you will.

Yeah I don't mean it straight up won't boot. But if we look at the quality of some games on the base Ps4 and Xbox right now we aren't always getting quality copies. The same restrictions are imposed on these systems and the results aren't always favorable.

But both those systems had their time to shine. I just think having a weaker model at launch puts it in a place to be largely negated in the eyes of consumers and devs pretty sharp.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not an Xbox gamer by any means, but I'm really excited for what Anaconda means for the industry.

The next two years are gonna be amazing.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it will be this E3 other than maybe a name announced. It will be 2020 E3 when it's announced with a fall release date.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't mean it straight up won't boot. But if we look at the quality of some games on the base Ps4 and Xbox right now we aren't always getting quality copies. The same restrictions are imposed on these systems and the results aren't always favorable.

But both those systems had their time to shine. I just think having a weaker model at launch puts it in a place to be largely negated in the eyes of consumers and devs pretty sharp.

Nonetheless, everything will have to be built around whatever is in Lockheart....and apparently with an extra 100ms of streaming lag tolerance now.

Feb 10, 2018
Is the X gonna be like the "base" console then? With Lockhart the streaming one and Anaconda the new X?

We don't know.
Though it's unlikely because of its jaguar CPU. It may have Xcloud though.

A discless cheaper box and a powerful one is a great strategy, best of both worlds.
It will be able to scale better because the memory won't be gimped like the X1S, like how the ps4 + Pro do.

A $249 box will destroy.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I don't get the SSD thing with consoles only because they are still expensive and all it will do is increase the cost of the end product. Let say they do put an ssd, will it be 500gb or 1tb?

Let's be real, everyone is gonna upgrade whatever ends up in the next gen systems. Just make it easy to swap out and pass savings to end user. If anything down the line we can just buy our own ssd and stick it in there.

What is a "killer" idea on the other hand is a disk drive less model. That to me is a bigger deal but it has to be same tech wise as the "elite" model. I'm moving to digital only nowadays so if that saves me some money, I'm down for that. (smaller profile system as well)

The only reason PS5 may not end up with a disk drive less version is bc they will want to have their uhd bd drive in there finally lol.

Feb 10, 2018

No it wont.
It's no different then a PC gamer gaming at 4k and another gaming at 1080p

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
will be revealed at E3 2019

afc79o9cbk27.png

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
NVMe in a console, at 1 GBps? That would be something. A good design choice if the they intend to aim for 4K across the board.

1 GBps storage controller in a console? So it would be duplex.

Yea, my 1TB Samsung EVO was like $140 on sale last year. Two years ago a SSD that size was running around twice the price.

Between 1.5-3.0 gb/sec based on current speeds ;)

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I remember predicting last year that the xbox1x would be forward compatible with the next xbox, because diminishing returns. This 4tf xbox rumor has me even more convinced it'll be the case in some regards.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
The best news for me is Halo infinite as a launch title for Scarlett. So happy to see Halo in next gen glory after being so disappointed by Halo 5 ( graphics, story and level design ).

After the impact Breath of the Wild gave to the Nintendo Switch, I don't see how Microsoft and Sony would miss out on the opportunity of launching their next gen systems with their biggest franchses - Halo and the Last of Us.

It is cross-gen acc. to this article so it wouldn't be able to utilize next gen hardware to their fullest.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Xbox announcing this year sounds like something that would kill current Xbox sales. Like why would you buy an Xbox one X now if you know something way better is coming next year?. ...But then maybe they don't feel the next couple years of the Xbox one family is going to shift many consoles anyway.

Yeah, I think that's the thing. Microsoft has written this generation off. Everything is just about building for the future. So announcing early to maximize hype is worth the cost of tanking current sales, a tradeoff Sony wouldn't be willing to make. Likewise, most of their business right now is focusing on things that can't be getting them much near-term profit — Gamepass and backwards compatibility — but which do build a solid base for the next console. Same with buying up all these studios, none of whom will be able to turn around a game in the Xbox One's remaining lifespan, but who may at least let them make a run at Sony's first party next gen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
On second thought, im wondering if the high end Xbox will retail for 600 big ones with that SSD, that would make it believable, i just really can't see all this tech for 500 or less, the loss per unit will be enormous.
We got 400/500 dollar Consoles this generation because of very cheap CPU's, outdated GDDR5 (came out 4 years before PS4 in mid range GPU's) & slow laptop HDD's, even then there was a loss per unit sold, going up to a SSD, GDDR6 (or worse HBM2) & high end Zen 2 with the same price points is questionable, either the price goes up or a couple of things are getting cut back, like the CPU & SSD.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
The cheap device would be able to play all of the Xbox software, by streaming, and using the SSD to buffer the stream to the box. That would be my guess. More expensive box a PC alternative with the ability to download and play locally

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
This is not being revealed at E3.
I think that depends on what you mean by reveal. I certainly don't expect a "full reveal" where they announce full specs and show off titles, but I absolutely expect some sort of reveal or tease ala scorpio. They mentioned next gen last year, this year we'll get a glimpse, full info next year.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
An Nve drive would be amazing, but really expensive even if Microsoft had one heck of a volume discount.

A SATA 2.5 inch drive is still pricy, but much more reasonable.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
On second thought, im wondering if the high end Xbox will retail for 600 big ones with that SSD, that would make it believable, i just really can't see all this tech for 500 or less, the loss per unit will be enormous.
We got 400/500 dollar Consoles this generation because of very cheap CPU's, outdated GDDR5 (came out 4 years before PS4 in mid range GPU's) & slow laptop HDD's, even then there was a loss per unit sold, going up to a SSD, GDDR6 (or worse HBM2) & high end Zen 2 with the same price points is questionable, either the price goes up or a couple of things are getting cut back, like the CPU & SSD.

If the point if the console is to win tech showdowns and give good footage for commercials, and not to actual drive instal base, then $600+ for profit console is fine from a business pov; especially if they view this as the last hardware generation. If poorbox outsells $700box 20:1, i think they would be fine with that.

Oct 27, 2017
It is roughly the difference between a One S and One X, so a 4k console and a non 4k console run I games with similar performance. Going to 6 or 8 just increases price for no point if the goal is targeting different resolutions.
Lol why it not be 4K?

I understand that the games won't play 4K natively but if the One X can do so today at 6Tf that just seems silly to make the entry console not 4K.

I mean the One S outputs to 4K just not native. So how will they market that? Just strip all 4K from Lockhart when it could do some 4K or have one be sorta 4K and one be super 4K?

Just trying to figure out the marketing here.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, 4-ish. That machine will make 3rd party devs tear their hair out.
So if you're making a next gen only game and you want it to run on a 4TF machine would it hold back a 10TF PS5 or a 12TF Xbox Anaconda? As a third party that is.

That's my fear. I know games are scalable, etc I just rather the base specs not be so low for the GPU

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man I remember Jeuxvideo from the NX days. They either

A: Take similar existing rumors and add one thing to it

B: Just straight up have bad sources

This info has been more or less known for quite some time. Not sure about the specs though.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
People who are saying E3 2019 is too early are really underestimating how much Microsoft needs something to talk about this year. Without revealing their next gen console, they literally can't talk about anything they have in development in any real detail. The choice they're facing is: reveal at E3 2019 and hype up all the cool shit that's happening next year, or, have a completely silent 2019... after a completely uneventful 2017 and 2018.

Oct 25, 2017
I really do hope that all next gen consoles (including PS5) move to having SSDs as a standard. This has been the biggest upgrade in the PC space for many years and consoles need to benefit from the significant read/write time upgrade that an SSD brings.

I'm ready for next gen, bring it on!

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I remember predicting last year that the xbox1x would be forward compatible with the next xbox, because diminishing returns. This 4tf xbox rumor has me even more convinced it'll be the case in some regards.
This is what ive been hoping all along. If i dont care too much about graphic fidelity and getting the latest and greatest. i would love for my One X to play future titles.