• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Unless the cheap Xbox is really cheap, the lower end audience relies on physical games (trading in etc,).
It's the opposite, as most likely the gamers willing to go digital only would prefer the Anaconda high end model.

They kinda got it backwards.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't read into this too much. Not that they're completely wrong.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
This is where I'm at too, the majority of users won't be able to notice the loading time difference anyway. Let us upgrade if/when we want.

you HAVE to put nvme as the baseline (if you put it in at all), because if devs can't count on it it won't be utilized.

nvme has a ton of technical reasons that it is superior to sata drives(ssd or hdd) and just because games don't use it now has zero bearing on how they can use it when it's guaranteed to be there

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
It's expensive as hell and with a very limited storage space compared a normal HDD. Considered the size of the future games, not seems exactly a good idea to me.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing new really, and honestly not a fan of the two versions approach. The high powered version will be superceded in a couple of years by a mid gen refresh, and the low end version...well sounds pretty pared back...no disc drive is a poor decision for a start. Trying to phase out second hand games again I see...I suppose they are offering game pass, so that is their justification. Not a good one in my opinion, but there it is.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
SSD's in both systems? Depending on the size and specs these could be pricey, even the base version.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
It would be smart for MS and Sony to have an optional M.2 SSD slot, easily accessible behind a small hatch under the console.

This would be perfect for caching, just keep all the data on massive and cheap mechanical HDD. It would keep the initial console investment down and the door open for power users to drive down loading times if so desired.

Oct 25, 2017
China
you HAVE to put nvme as the baseline (if you put it in at all), because if devs can't count on it it won't be utilized.

nvme has a ton of technical reasons that it is superior to sata drives(ssd or hdd) and just because games don't use it now has zero bearing on how they can use it when it's guaranteed to be there

That's a good point, we don't want a Core Xbox 360 situation again.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
ShamePain has said PS5 gonna reveal close to E3 in Sony's event this year, it's gonna be fun to see both Sony and Microsoft revealing their hardwares close together:)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Lockhart is not gonna be discless. Cant imagine that. There is gonna be a discless Xbox One S tho very soon.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No way the entry level console doesn't have a disc drive.

Why, every year more and more are going digital only. If they can make the machine cheap I bet many won't care.

ShamePain has said PS5 gonna reveal close to E3 in Sony's event this year, it's gonna be fun to see both Sony and Microsoft revealing their hardwares close together:)

I don't know if it's wise for either MS or Sony to annouince new hardware over a year before they plan to come out. Unless Sony releases spring 2020.

Lesthe

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 19, 2019
France
A Xbox Lockhart ? From Cornish ?
harry-potter-gilderoy-lockhart-shooting.jpg

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As nice as faster loading would be with SSD. I feel like in this day and age 1tb just isn't enough actual capacity. Not when games like RDR exist with 100+gigs before updates. I think i'd take slower load times over the requirement to clear out my storage every month or so.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Why, every year more and more are going digital only. If they can make the machine cheap I bet many won't care.

I don't know if it's wise for either MS or Sony to annouince new hardware over a year before they plan to come out. Unless Sony releases spring 2020.
Because Entry Level is the biggest sellers in countries where the internet is garbage, they wouldn't axe an entire market to save a CD drive.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I think monopoly is the better word than exciting lol, why Sony let Microsoft own E3 2019 still surprises me.

I think Sony was never going to announce a 2020 console in 2019 anyway, because they want to protect high PS4 sales for as long as possible. Xbox has less to lose sales-wise and more to gain PR-wise with an early announcement at E3. It's just a situation where each side's optimal strategy lining up with the other's.

Anyway, the overall specs seem about in line with expectations, maybe a little towards the low end, but going discless and with an SSD on the low end seems weird. Cutting Blu-ray is a good savings for sure, but the most budget-conscious buyers want discs. You'd be much better off getting those savings by swapping them down to an HDD and keeping SDD as a high-end-only feature.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...eux-prochaines-xbox-devoilees-a-l-e3-2019.htm

So there will be two different models, one weaker and cheaper with no blu-ray reader and one uber powerful and expensive.

Precisions :

- Two Scarlett devices announced this E3: Lockhart and Anaconda
- Lockhart = entry level device, no disc drive, digital focused machine
- Anaconda = high end device, price similar to Xbox One X's launch price
- Xbox should announce a disc drive less Xbox One in the coming months
- Launch fall 2020
- For the specs sheet, they say that this is what was rumored to be but can only confirm the presence of SSDs on both machines. They're NOT confirming the full sheet.
- Halo Infinite is a launch crossgen game
- Ninja Theory's game is slated for early 2020

Update:
Shouldn't Rumor be on the title?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love the new console hype cycle, its always exciting. But we are at the point where we are so thirsty for news that we believe anything. Dont @ me...but i heard, from my top secret sources, that the next playstation, and the next xbox, will indeed, without a doubt, allegedly, have video games of some sort

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I must be the only one who thinks having one console would be better. Realistic I understand why two so they get both consumers who want powerful and affordable but I still think one console allows full focus on those single specs and doesn't hold back the other console. Plus you think as a consumer sounds better when you say oh I have the newest xbox instead I have the newest cheaper xbox.

My thoughts but regardless I'll get the higher end one.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Does having a NVMe SSD has other benefits than faster loading times?
For previous games, no. Games developed with NVMe in mind can do a ton of stuff with the bandwidth. Just compare the like 60-80MB/s we get with an HDD to the 1GB/s number that is attributed to these NVMes. Within a couple of secs you could have gigabytes of data loaded into memory.
One practical example would be that we could probably do away with all the load time masking tunnels, doors, elevators, shelves that need to be pushed aside. We should just have enough throughput to make it seem natural.

Nov 12, 2017
I expect a PS5 to be substantially more powerful than the suggested Lockhart spec - the suggested GPU baseline presented here would be far lower than I'd have hoped for out of the next gen. Even if we want to give Lockhart a pass as a 1080p machine, as a GPU target it would represent only a 2-3x alu jump from PS4's 1080p budget. (With a commensurately lower per-pixel jump for Anaconda at 4K).

If there's a single PS5 spec, Sony devs can focus the full whack of that on whatever resolution they choose. Go for very high end techniques at a lower res, or cheaper techniques at 4K, whatever works for the goal they're trying to achieve.

Yes, for third parties the development baseline will be determined anyway by Lockhart in this scenario - at least assuming third parties aren't willing to let it fall behind on performance like they seemingly have with the One S. But that only makes the inflexibility more lamentable IMO.
Lockhart will be 6/7 Navi tf count on it
In now way they will go under the X ...it will be minimum on par
Or Lockhart is a streaming box with some local computing power (they talked about this before)

Bud23

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Why would they announce the thing in July 2019 if they are planning to release it 14-18 months later?

That makes no sense

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Navi 10 isn't a big GPU & will be in the $200 range, i don't think 7nm is as magical as some others think, but i can see a laptop variant ryzen 2 with no hyper threading & smaller cache etc being fit nicely in, doubt the SSD though, but like someone else said, they might put in a hybrid HDD with a 256-128GB SSD & be a bit sneaky & not mention the size.
Anyone thinking PS5/Next Box will have a Desktop 4ghz+ 8c/16t CPU need to be a bit more real though.
This rumor says 8c/16t and a 12TFLOP GPU, that's ridiculous. A 13.8TFLOP GPU in 7nm is 700$ and consumes 300W.
Wel'll have to see how expensive and big Navi 10 is, but I imagine it will be powering rivals to the RTX 2060 and GTX 1660, and maybe the rival to the GTX1660, or something in between to the RTX 2060, can fit in a console.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The cheaper one not having a disc drive makes zero sense to me. I bet that ends up not being true.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
The lower end Lockhart console specs make ZERO sense. The point of a streaming box is to be super cheap..because all it needs to do is have a solid internet connection. They say it has a 1TB SSD and is 4TF?? Nope.

Also revealing them at this E3 for a Fall 2020 launch seems really early.

Though the Anaconda specs do seem somewhat realistic if they're gonna charge $499.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
This rumor says 8c/16t and a 12TFLOP GPU, that's ridiculous. A 13.8TFLOP GPU in 7nm is 700$ and consumes 300W.
Wel'll have to see how expensive and big Navi 10 is, but I imagine it will be powering rivals to the RTX 2060 and GTX 1660, and maybe the rival to the GTX1660, or something in between to the RTX 2060, can fit in a console.
AMD like to "embellish" their TFLOPS a bit, it will be around GTX 1080 level im sure, but im really not sure on 8c/16t, that seems a bit unrealistic, though i would love for it to be true, Intel have gotten away with putting a premium on 4+ core CPU's with hyper threading for too long, competition would be good.
Then again with Vega Ultra Instinct or whatever it's called being a 1080 Ti more or less despite it's $699 price tag, Navi 10 may end up being only a small improvement over X's current GPU, with the main improvements being higher clock speeds due to 7nm & new tech like primitive shaders, this is a pretty realistic scenario.