• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
I've been playing through the Survival trilogy recently. The first two were fine. Nothing great, but they were decent. Except the writing, which was terrible. I'm not super far into Shadow, but so far it's been a big improvement in like every way.

So, if it's still of that quality, I wouldn't be against them adding some stuff from the trilogy.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of adding the new trilogy mechs to anniversary is really weird. Tbh though main one I want remade is legends. I dunno what rep the game has as either good or bad but o also don't care it was by far my favorite. That and anniversary then underworld, followed by original trilogy. Sucks because the new games feel like they have nothing in common with them

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the context I'm leaning towards either fake, or it being so theoretical that calling it a "cancelled game" is generous; if it was just a remaster I could see that, but actually adding modern Tomb Raider elements would require it to be more than that, and when Anniversary was one of the worst selling entries I don't see a major remake being greenlit, plus "Tomb Raider: Anniversary: Anniversary" is just so ??? as a concept.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
Thinking about the context I'm leaning towards either fake, or it being so theoretical that calling it a "cancelled game" is generous; if it was just a remaster I could see that, but actually adding modern Tomb Raider elements would require it to be more than that, and when Anniversary was one of the worst selling entries I don't see a major remake being greenlit, plus "Tomb Raider: Anniversary: Anniversary" is just so ??? as a concept.

Yeah... TRA failed hard. It missed the actual anniversary, sold very poorly, and it being given to Crystal Dynamics meant that it was rushed and disrupted plans for Underworld (it wasn't their project initially).

Plus, a lot of old school TR fans hated it for dumbing down the source material.

I cannot see a "remake" of Anniversary, especially with Survivor Trilogy mechanics. I could maybe see them Remaking the first game again from the ground up with Survivor mechanics.

And I say this as a guy who thinks the Legend trilogy is my favorite era of Tomb Raider.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah... TRA failed hard. It missed the actual anniversary, sold very poorly, and it being given to Crystal Dynamics meant that it was rushed and disrupted plans for Underworld (it wasn't their project initially).

Plus, a lot of old school TR fans hated it for dumbing down the source material.

I cannot see a "remake" of Anniversary, especially with Survivor Trilogy mechanics. I could maybe see them Remaking the first game again from the ground up with Survivor mechanics.

And I say this as a guy who thinks the Legend trilogy is my favorite era of Tomb Raider.

Fans are weird. Imagine thinking Anniversary dumbed down anything.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Anniversary is my favorite TR game of all time. But I also totally understand why some think it "dumbed down" the original. It cut like half the puzzles, simplified a lot of the remaining ones, and kind of rushed through a lot of segments. They also turned some locations into set-pieces. I think it works really well but if someone's definition of "what TR should be" is specifically puzzles then I get it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Anniversary is my favorite TR game of all time. But I also totally understand why some think it "dumbed down" the original. It cut like half the puzzles, simplified a lot of the remaining ones, and kind of rushed through a lot of segments. They also turned some locations into set-pieces. I think it works really well but if someone's definition of "what TR should be" is specifically puzzles then I get it.

That's fair. I think it's a bit like REmake 2. The overall experience was kept intact and improved upon, but if might miss specific parts and moments. I played TR1 only recently and it was much better than I expected, but I think Anniversary improves on it on a global level.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

Eh, it did dumb down the actual challenge of the platforming and removed all of the human enemy boss fights. I adore Anniversary, and it does utilize some clever and tightly designed obstacle courses that do somewhat offset the magnetic ledge grabbing/lack of jump planning (like ascending the Great Pyramid with the timed swinging poles, or St. Francis Folly by just vastly increasing the scale of the central room), but there's so much general tension and player positioning that that hasn't been in the series at all since it was grid based.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

In general, it ditched Core's grid system, which a lot of old school fans prefer for encouraging a much more deliberate, almost mathematical style of platforming. Certain segments were reworked (I think the Poseidon room in 1996 was a big swimming maze, when it was a block pushing puzzle in Anniversary, IIRC the later half got more extensive reworks or outright cuts), all the human bosses were now QTEs instead of fights when there were some fun boss fights in Legend (and the centaur, Rex, and Torso beast fights were pretty good)--notably, Pierre, a rival who you fought like ninety times in Greece, has two cutscenes and is trampled by the Centaurs.

Plus it added Crystal D's mommy/daddy issues character traits to Lara when in1996, she was just in it for the thrill of it.

Doesn't help that Core Design had also proposed a more faithful remake (complete with the grid system) and even prototyped it before Square killed them.

And again, I say this as a guy who finds the PS1 TR's borderline unplayable nowadays. I think most of the complaints go right over my head. But... still doesn't change the fact that it bombed super hard.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
What gave this random Twitter fansite posting about some random "Chinese sources" enough merit to even be posted here?

Just typing RUMOR in caps isn't the out that means every random piece of shit deserves a thread.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
In general, it ditched Core's grid system, which a lot of old school fans prefer for encouraging a much more deliberate, almost mathematical style of platforming. Certain segments were reworked (I think the Poseidon room in 1996 was a big swimming maze, when it was a block pushing puzzle in Anniversary, IIRC the later half got more extensive reworks or outright cuts), all the human bosses were now QTEs instead of fights when there were some fun boss fights in Legend (and the centaur, Rex, and Torso beast fights were pretty good)--notably, Pierre, a rival who you fought like ninety times in Greece, has two cutscenes and is trampled by the Centaurs.

Plus it added Crystal D's mommy/daddy issues character traits to Lara when in1996, she was just in it for the thrill of it.

Doesn't help that Core Design had also proposed a more faithful remake (complete with the grid system) and even prototyped it before Square killed them.

And again, I say this as a guy who finds the PS1 TR's borderline unplayable nowadays. I think most of the complaints go right over my head. But... still doesn't change the fact that it bombed super hard.

It bombed because we live in a unfair, unjust world. In terms of quality it is better than Legend and Underworld combined.

And ditching Core's grid system was a necessity. It's like REmake 2 ditching the fixed camera angles.

OP
OP
Gradon

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
What gave this random Twitter fansite posting about some random "Chinese sources" enough merit to even be posted here?

Just typing RUMOR in caps isn't the out that means every random piece of shit deserves a thread.

Feel free to lock the thread if it's that much of an issue.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds very much like a remake, not a remaster. Not sure how much I'd be willing to believe this, it doesn't make a lot of sense to remake the first game a second time.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
How could this have been a "remaster". Sounds like they were retooling the whole game.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Can't imagine they would add crafting into the mix, but the reboot combat would have been a very welcome change. I don't believe this at all though, sounds like a remake of a remake when they could have just remade TR2.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anniversary is the best Tomb Raider game. Remastering it and adding Shadow mechanics just sounds like a mess waiting to happen. Glad it was cancelled.

Solitude

Nov 11, 2020
Don't see the point in remastering just one game; do the whole Legend trilogy + the 360 DLC.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Damn this would've been amazing.

Pretty confident we'll get a TR1 remake under Embracer anyway though, so whatevs

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
On rttr engine with added gameplay elements, sounds like a full on remake tbh, wouldve been cool.

Also wasnt this already remastered on the ps3? Or was that just a port?

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure how you can even make an argument that it didn't lol. And I'm saying this as someone who loved Anniversary until I've actually played TR1 recently. I still like it but it did a lot of things like simplifying platforming with the magnetic jumping and constant ledge hanging, simplified levels, simplified or cut puzzles, QTE bosses, etc.

IvanJCroft

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Venezuela
Anniversary dumbed down A LOT of the original game, it's a very good Tomb Raider game but it's not even close to the original in terms of difficulty and atmosphere.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Not sure how you can even make an argument that it didn't lol. And I'm saying this as someone who loved Anniversary until I've actually played TR1 recently. I still like it but it did a lot of things like simplifying platforming with the magnetic jumping and constant ledge hanging, simplified levels, simplified or cut puzzles, QTE bosses, etc.

I don't think neither of those are dumbed down. The platforming was enhanced, not simplified. Same with level design and puzzles. You have some QTE bosses but the other bosses that you do fight are better than those in TR1. Playing Anniversary with the dev commentary, which include Toby Gard, really helps you appreciate how much it improved in some many areas of the original.

Oct 30, 2017
1. I guess, it still feels weird for them to be calling it a remaster of Anniversary, though. It's just TR1 at this point. A remake of a remake is just another remake of the original thing. It feels like confused branding.

a straight remaster of anniversary for modern consoles would be nice, though it runs fine on PC already and the 360 version is BC. if that's what they were planning, seems weird to cancel what would be a pretty easy lift. if it was more ambitious, though, then yeah why call it anniversary at all?

i dunno. i feel like anniversary is what it is. it's not inaccessible and kind of the whole point of it is that it's a product of its time. but i would've been down for a modern TR remake with a different name, for sure

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Also weren't the Underworld DLC's going to be re-released for PC or I am imagining things?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
A hybrid of Anniversary with some of the mechanics from the new games would be amazing. Shame this isn't going to be a thing now.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would like a collection of the original games. Preferably on the Switch but maybe I'll have my Steam Deck by the time the collection is done.

Anniversary's gymnasium was excellent and the PSP port was black magic.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
A hybrid of Anniversary with some of the mechanics from the new games would be amazing. Shame this isn't going to be a thing now.

I don't really know what mechanics they could port over though. Cover shooting makes no sense in a game where you don't even start having ranged enemies until halfway through. The dodging was already a thing in Anniversary--to a degree, that was the big combat mechanic--shoot the enemy until they charge, then nail them with the dodge instant kill.

And like... I really, really, really don't want upgrade mechanics from the survivor trilogy. I don't want to hunt seven lions to get an upgrade for the pistols. I think the survivor trilogy just had awful bloat when it came to the crafting mechanics, gaining nothing of actual value.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I don't really know what mechanics they could port over though. Cover shooting makes no sense in a game where you don't even start having ranged enemies until halfway through. The dodging was already a thing in Anniversary--to a degree, that was the big combat mechanic--shoot the enemy until they charge, then nail them with the dodge instant kill.

And like... I really, really, really don't want upgrade mechanics from the survivor trilogy. I don't want to hunt seven lions to get an upgrade for the pistols. I think the survivor trilogy just had awful bloat when it came to the crafting mechanics, gaining nothing of actual value.

The most important mechanic from the new games!

Tressfx