• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
So they will have node equality with NV at high end (there is no reason to think NV wouldn't tape 3090, 3080 and maybe even 3070 @ 7nm).

Those benches will be interesting stuff as they duke it out, hopefully both architectures deliver.
There have been some rumors of NV having some cards made on the Samsung 8nm node but nothing concrete as of now. Either way, they'll be extremely close when it comes to node tech. Die size and architecture is what will make a difference here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
There have been some rumors of NV having some cards made on the Samsung 8nm node but nothing concrete as of now. Either way, they'll be extremely close when it comes to node tech. Die size and architecture is what will make a difference here.

I have heard those rumors too, but why they would tape their heavy hitters at 8nm if they also have 7nm available for them?

Either way there must be some wild bidding going on for fab capacity with all new HW needing production cycles from fabs.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I have heard those rumors too, but why they would tape their heavy hitters at 8nm if they also have 7nm available for them?

Either way there must be some wild bidding going on for fab capacity with all new HW needing production cycles from fabs.
That's because TSMC is at capacity for their 7nm node and they could face supply issues. Maybe they'll use that for their mid-range cards rather than the flagships. Don't forget that Zen 3 and Navi 2X are on the same node, not to mention the console chips.

That's why they are working on the Arizona plant. To have even higher output with future nodes, like 5nm

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yes I was talking about Nvidia using Integer Scaling.
It doesnt work on the 1660 which would easily be in GaussianMultivariate hypothetical budget.
RayTracing is a huge bonus even in the few games that support it, it makes the "100" dollar premium worth it.
DLSS alone is invaluable, It cant be stressed enough how good DLSS is now and how much life people could/should be able to get out of their cards by enabling it.

As for the 2 or 3 games supporting RTX features:

Battlefield V
Call of Duty MW'19
Control - A stellar implementation
Deliver Us The Moon
Mechwarrior 5
Metro Exodus
Two Colonels - Its a further adaption of RTX so I have to include it twice
MineCraft
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Wolfenstein Youngblood - Another good implementation
Cyberpunk
Doom Eternal - Patch promised, we'll see when it arrives.
Dying Light 2
Bloodlines 2
WatchDog Legion

I know im forgetting some of the titles out or coming soon.
But you can pretty much gurantee all the above devs are going to continue supporting Nvidias tech in future titles.
Its become so easy to implement that it really doesnt make much sense to NOT include RTX features.

Once RTX for all arrives devs will have even more insentive to include it in their games.
The 2060 is likely to soon take over the 1060 spot....everyone will want to have DLSS at the very least supported in their games going forward.
Referring to DLSS, not ray tracing. Its incredibly unlikely it gets widespread support since its exclusive to Nvidia GPUs. And you cant guarantee any developers will support Nvidia tech. Nor should you be listing off games that arent even out yet as supporting RTX.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Referring to DLSS, not ray tracing. Its incredibly unlikely it gets widespread support since its exclusive to Nvidia GPUs. And you cant guarantee any developers will support Nvidia tech. Nor should you be listing off games that arent even out yet as supporting RTX.

If the devs say they are supporting RTX features im inclined to believe them.
And there is no harm in being future proof so for the "few" games that support the feature set I can actually utilize them.
Locking myself out of the feature set to save a few dollars when DLSS and RT are actual generational leaps in tech seems shortsighted.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If the devs say they are supporting RTX features im inclined to believe them.
And there is no harm in being future proof so for the "few" games that support the feature set I can actually utilize them.
Locking myself out of the feature set to save a few dollars when DLSS and RT are actual generational leaps in tech seems shortsighted.
And what about all the titles that were claimed to support RTX/DLSS but that support never saw the light of day? Ifs far more reasonable to list titles supporting X features when that title is available with said features.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
And what about all the titles that were claimed to support RTX/DLSS but that support never saw the light of day? Ifs far more reasonable to list titles supporting X features when that title is available with said features.

Which ones?
I legit cant think of any off the top of my head.

Im inclined to believe devs especially those that have shown their games using RTX.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Since xx90 series was previously reserved for dual-GPU setups, could its return be MCM-based equivalent for Ampere? The xx80 would still be single-GPU based. There is nothing much in the SLI space anymore to be excited about.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Since xx90 series was previously reserved for dual-GPU setups, could its return be MCM-based equivalent for Ampere? The xx80 would still be single-GPU based. There is nothing much in the SLI space anymore to be excited about.

Maybe, but doubtful. Nvidia is expected to have MCM GPUs with the architecture that will succeed Ampere, called Hopper.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
Weird they would use the "90" name. 590 and 690 were dual gpu cards.

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't the only one that thought of that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Weird they would use the "90" name. 590 and 690 were dual gpu cards.

EDIT: Looks like I wasn't the only one that thought of that.
if they bring it back, they'll just use it as a new higher tier. not like people will care it used to be used for dual gpu cards

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Nvidia has been working on checkerboard SLI rendering and Hopper is rumored to be an MCM GPU.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
AMD has them scared. They are pushing clocks and therefore TDP to ensure they stay on top. If AMD can be competitive this will be a very interesting generation of cards.
TBH this cooler doesn't look like they are "scared" at all. It looks like gaming Ampere cards may have a weird PCB design - which is why it's somewhat believeable that they will in fact use "GDDR6X" memory. But that's about as much as we can say from the cooler design for now.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would only be interested in xx90 card if they make it work in all games without SLI or any other special tricks and techniques required. SLI to me is completely dead.

j^aws

Oct 31, 2017
UK
if they bring it back, they'll just use it as a new higher tier. not like people will care it used to be used for dual gpu cards
So, if they use 3090 for a single-GPU, then go back to 4090 for their MCM-GPU, and revert back to 4080 again for their single-GPU, all this fuss for no gain when they could just keep their current naming scheme sounds rather pointless, though.
Nvidia has been working on checkerboard SLI rendering and Hopper is rumored to be an MCM GPU.
Do we know if this checkerboard SLI still requires a game-by-game update or will it just work? I may just wait for that setup.
I would only be interested in xx90 card if they make it work in all games without SLI or any other special tricks and techniques required. SLI to me is completely dead.
I'd definitely prefer this. I'd like the tech to be transparent like it was with 3DFX Voodoo SLI back in the day.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
How many Gamecubes is that Duct Taped together?

In all seriousness how much is this shit gonna cost?

Around 10 gamecubes.

I renewed motherboard (60) ram (100) and CPU (180) for 340. Now I'm saving up for a 3060/3070 when they get released. Usually the XX60GPU costs around 350 at launch, and the XX70 around 450, while the XX80 costs around 600 and the XX80Ti surpasses well the 700 mark.

I would love a XX80Ti, but that waaay surpasses my posibilities (I earn 800€ monthly which is not a lot (at all))

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
A modern and universal multi GPU feature would be a godsend. Maybe a ML assisted solution that just feeds on multiple graphics cards thrown into your PC and generates the final stutter free image from that hw chunk. One can wish.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, if they use 3090 for a single-GPU, then go back to 4090 for their MCM-GPU, and revert back to 4080 again for their single-GPU, all this fuss for no gain when they could just keep their current naming scheme sounds rather pointless, though
However they get gains matters not to the people that buy it. The point is they get gains. Back then it meant slapping two gpus on a board, in the future it means going the mcm route.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Really not worried about naming. I mean Intel has the 10900X and 10900K (different CPU generations entirely) and AMD has the 3200/3400G (not actually 3000 series processors). So historical naming means...not much at all. Hell, just call 3090 Ti for fun

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really not worried about naming. I mean Intel has the 10900X and 10900K (different CPU generations entirely) and AMD has the 3200/3400G (not actually 3000 series processors). So historical naming means...not much at all. Hell, just call 3090 Ti for fun
Makes sense, it could be that RTX 3090 is the new 2080Ti, because apparently now number 9 gets associated with the high end flagship product. Both AMD and Intel been using it extensively the last 2 years for CPU naming.

Oct 27, 2017

Multi-Chip GPUs are the future.
mcm_0.png

MCM-GPU: Multi-Chip-Module GPUs for Continued Performance Scalability | Research

Historically, improvements in GPU-based high performance computing have been tightly coupled to transistor scaling. As Moore's law slows down, and the number of transistors per die no longer grows at historical rates, the performance curve of single monolithic GPUs will ultimately plateau...
Most importantly, the optimized MCM-GPU design is 45.5% faster than the largest implementable monolithic GPU, and performs within 10% of a hypothetical (and unbuildable) monolithic GPU

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry if this is asked but are there any news on potential release date? Wanna build a new PC for CP2077 but not sure if I should go for 20 series or wait

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
www.igorslab.de

350 watts for NVIDIA’s new top-of-the-line GeForce RTX “3090” Ampere model explained, chip area calculated and boards compared | igor´sLAB

Well, meanwhile there are several leaks of “pre-release” models of the upcoming GeForce RTX 3080, but I don’t really trust the roast published here, because I just assume design validation samples.
He's decided to explain the TBP finally, as people were running with some seriously stupid power figures already.
GA102 die size seems massive though, likely won't be a cheap product.

Sorry if this is asked but are there any news on potential release date? Wanna build a new PC for CP2077 but not sure if I should go for 20 series or wait
Expect an announcement in August with a September release for 3070 and 3080. 3090 may be a bit behind, as well as 3060.

Anson225

Oct 26, 2017
www.igorslab.de

350 watts for NVIDIA’s new top-of-the-line GeForce RTX “3090” Ampere model explained, chip area calculated and boards compared | igor´sLAB

Well, meanwhile there are several leaks of “pre-release” models of the upcoming GeForce RTX 3080, but I don’t really trust the roast published here, because I just assume design validation samples.
He's decided to explain the TBP finally, as people were running with some seriously stupid power figures already.
GA102 die size seems massive though, likely won't be a cheap product.

Expect an announcement in August with a September release for 3070 and 3080. 3090 may be a bit behind, as well as 3060.
August or september

Maybe
Thanks guys, for 3070 should I expect a similar price point to 2070 at $500?

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Are the Hopper gpus going for a 2022 release date or later? I could probably hold my 1060 until then.
Hopper will most probably be an HPC only upgrade to Ampere GA100. There's really no point in waiting on it for gaming cards - it is very unlikely that any "chiplet" design will be used in consumer graphics cards any time soon.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Pricing is the one aspect the rumour mill has been dead silent on. Nobody knows what to expect, apparently.
Was watching a jayztwocents video about the recent leak and he (just throwing out an educated guess) said potentially $1500 for the TI card if there's a price increase and my heart skipped a beat

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
NV most likely finalizes prices moment they record announcement video.

Supposedly same happened with current cards, locking prices as they came to stage.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Was watching a jayztwocents video about the recent leak and he (just throwing out an educated guess) said potentially $1500 for the TI card if there's a price increase and my heart skipped a beat
Lol I seen that and I wasn't even shocked for that kind of prediction. But like he says it's all rumor atm. A bit too much.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
1500 for a Ti , fuck all of you Nvdia .
will probably get it if its more than 50% performance increase over 2080ti

Status
Not open for further replies.