• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
If a so called 3090 is announced at launch instead of the traditional xx80 ti, its going to make me paranoid of the possibility of Nvidia later releasing a 3090 ti.

Its not even about the money, I just want to buy the most top of the line card up front at launch and be done with it for the rest of the 3000 series generation.

Although I would welcome a Titan that decimates everything available like back in the day. The last few Titans have been pretty much on par with it's xx80 ti counterpart.

It would not surprise me if Nvidia has a "Super" series in store for next year as yields improve, similar to what they did with the 2000 series. The only reason why there is no 2080 Ti Super is because it is pretty much the largest GPU they were able to make on the node and even the 2080 Ti is barely cut down from the Titan RTX.

As a 2080 Ti owner it remains to be seen where the next gen cards land in terms of performance. I could use HDMI 2.1 and more performance but to keep buying the top end cards it would have to be a significant performance improvement over what I have.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Might get a 3070 at some point but I might hold onto my B450 board and Ryzen 2600 until DDR5/AM5 becomes well-established or I can't hit 60fps reliably anymore

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
As a 2080 Ti owner it remains to be seen where the next gen cards land in terms of performance. I could use HDMI 2.1 and more performance but to keep buying the top end cards it would have to be a significant performance improvement over what I have.

All new node and shrink like we are getting with Ampere has usually given some very good, even significant, performance gains.

So there is hoping that 3080Ti / 3090 really crushes it.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I wonder how much of an upgrade will RTX 3080 be over my 70 Super, with PS5 on the horizon it should be a significant upgrade for me to justify the cost.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Has there been any word on ray tracing performance improvements? I'm kind of assuming that the performance differential is going to be bigger compared to the 2000 cards when RTX is involved.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
I've said it several times already but my PC turned nine last month and while I've pretty much upgraded everything but my CPU/Mobo/PSU over that time my old OC'd 2500K is nearly the end of its gaming road. I've waited since some point in 2017 for Zen 3 so hopefully it lives up to expectations. I'm probably going to pick up a new monitor too since a 3080 or Ti is going to be overkill for my current 1080p monitor even at 144Hz. I could maybe hold off until Zen 4, assuming it comes in 2022 and will be the first for DDR5 and maybe PCIE 5 with its new socket but I don't want to pay the early adopter taxes that will come with it. Even though AM4 is going to be at the EOL point it's not like I'm intending on looking at a rebuild only a couple years later, when I do it could be 2024 or 2025 and those first gen AM5 mobos are going to be irrelevant or nearly so anyway just as the first generation AM4 ones are.

Right now is a terrible time to build a PC, there's probably at least a three months to go if not more before Zen 3 CPUs (which could be October) and/or new cards from NVIDIA and AMD come out and we don't know because there's no benchmarks, just rumors. Corona has potentially messed with release schedules too. Depending on where you're at with your current PC would greater determine how much longer to wait. Like with me, I'm at the end of the line with mine for gaming.

3070s costing $600 would be a horrible move, $500 MSRP for a 2070 was already ridiculous. If anything prices should be more competitive this time around due to the new consoles and AMD potentially, finally having a real answer to NVIDIA's cards coming at around the same time.

Thank you. Appreciate your input. Should I wait for when the next Ampere's come out? Everything else is not all that expensive to be quite honest.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
You guys have seen this already?

Not sure how reliable the source is but first impression is that it is kinda uggo but each vendor will do their own thing anyways...

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Those are prototypes.

As unimportant as looks are for something locked away in a computer case, don't worry about this. PS5 won't look like a V-shaped space ship, either :)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
You guys have seen this already?

Not sure how reliable the source is but first impression is that it is kinda uggo but each vendor will do their own thing anyways...

Look some pages back lol
The design has grown on me, but the novel cooling solution needs to be proven before I decide if I get that or an aib model.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those are prototypes.
How are you so certain? Looks pretty legit to me. As in, this is very likely final design. Bad potato quality photos leave bad first impressions. This design looks slick af in 3D renders.

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-Render-amigodesigns2.jpg

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-Render-amigodesigns3.jpg

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
I actually prefer the blue even though it's clearly just protective production tape 😆 A green version would be very on brand...

Sauronych

Jan 29, 2018
Gonna be an interesting situation on the market if the power consumption rumors are true. I expected Nvidia to knock it out of the park with efficiency on 7nm, but if they actually release a 300W+ jet engine, AMD is gonna have a major opening to claw back some market share and goodwill.

Inb4 Big Navi is hotter than the surface of the sun or they fuck up the launch drivers again.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be an interesting situation on the market if the power consumption rumors are true. I expected Nvidia to knock it out of the park with efficiency on 7nm, but if they actually release a 300W+ jet engine, AMD is gonna have a major opening to claw back some market share and goodwill.

Inb4 Big Navi is hotter than the surface of the sun or they fuck up the launch drivers again.
If it is that powerful AMD has absolutely no chance of competing on power. Folks gunning for the highest of the high end only care about performance. I, for one, don't give a fuck what kind of fan noise this thing produces as long as it's powerful enough.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
As long as Asus, MSI and EVGA stick with traditional designs I am not bothered.

As is board partners have very, very thin profit margins on the cards. No way they drop bags of cash to bring custom tooling online for some fancy bends on finstack.

I would expect them traditional designs scales to fit needs of PCB and cooling.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
2070? It would be on par with a 2060. But yeah, a RTX 3050 will definately come.

Nah, I think you're underestimating it there. We're getting a nice architecture advancement plus a big node jump. The general word seems to be pointing to the 3080 exceeding the 2080Ti, the 3070 being about as strong as the 2080Ti or at least within 5% of it, and the 3060 probably being around 2080-level. So I expect the 3050 to be around the 2070 (along with, hopefully, a 3030 that matches the 2060).

This isn't new, Nvidia has previously released cards about on-par with the card 2 levels higher in the previous line - like the 1070 roughly matching the 980Ti. That doesn't always happen, but Ampere is looking like quite the jump.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Is there any reason to go with a "founders" gpu over an MSI, Asus or whatever?

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I think you're underestimating it there. We're getting a nice architecture advancement plus a big node jump. The general word seems to be pointing to the 3080 exceeding the 2080Ti, the 3070 being about as strong as the 2080Ti or at least within 5% of it, and the 3060 probably being around 2080-level. So I expect the 3050 to be around the 2070 (along with, hopefully, a 3030 that matches the 2060).

This isn't new, Nvidia has previously released cards about on-par with the card 2 levels higher in the previous line - like the 1070 roughly matching the 980Ti. That doesn't always happen, but Ampere is looking like quite the jump.
It could be possible, yes. But I'm not getting my hopes up and you have to account that the Super series exists. I'm going by this rumor by the guy who leaked chip density of A100 and generally got logical and realistic rumors:

ES1eBPxUEAIEyGl

The GA104 would be roughly on par with a 2080 Super from the CUDA core count, but of course Ampere will have architectural advantages such as higher IPC, better RT and also higher clockspeed, presumingly which will put it a little above a 2080 Super and more to a 2080 Ti. I think the GA104 chip will be the RTX 3070. The 3080 would be a little better than the 2080 Ti and the 3080 Ti/3090 would outperform it. So RTX 3070 basically replaces the 2080 Super, which is actually one and a half step, compared to two steps like you described with Pascal.

The GA106 confuses me more. Could be a RTX 3050 but then where does the 3060 fit in? I'm very sure they wouldn't fit 3072 CUDA cores into a 3060, that would make no sense. So going by that, the GA106 could be the RTX 3060 but instead of increasing CUDA cores, they increase clock speeds dramatically due to 7nm efficiency and making it perform similar to a RTX 2070 (Super)

The GA107 seems to be the entry level RTX card, which really indicates RTX across the whole lineup. Maybe that is the RTX 3050, or 3030.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm dreaming of the 2660ti now
I actually expect the GTX line to be abandoned entirely on Ampere. RT cores and tensor cores on everything. Instead of the 2660Ti, you'll probably get an RTX 3050 or something that's on-par with or a little below the 2070.

Rumors from some very reputable sources said there wont be GTX cards nextgen.

Ampere is bringing RTX for all.
Even the baby cards are going to have RT corse....not alot of them but they will exist so at the very least every single graphics card will be able to do DLSS.

All cards are going to be RTX we wont get split cards for consumers.
OEMs might get some weird GTX2660 or something but for us the line up will be back to "Normal"

xx50
xx60
xx70
xx80

All in one family.
All the bastards inbetween and above obviously TI/Super/90 etc etc.

I know people are gonna want sources, give me some time to go through all my saved info
But im sure someone remembers them and has the link ready for deployment.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
How are you so certain? Looks pretty legit to me. As in, this is very likely final design. Bad potato quality photos leave bad first impressions. This design looks slick af in 3D renders.

This is a couple of days old now already and everywhere I read about it says they're prototypes. I wouldn't care if they looked like that anyway, if that meant they run well.

www.techspot.com

Nvidia RTX 3080 prototype photographed (with an absurd design)

The design of this GPU pair is immediately strange. First, there's one fan on the bottom of the GPU and one fan on the top. Second, the...

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a couple of days old now already and everywhere I read about it says they're prototypes. I wouldn't care if they looked like that anyway, if that meant they run well.

www.techspot.com

Nvidia RTX 3080 prototype photographed (with an absurd design)

The design of this GPU pair is immediately strange. First, there's one fan on the bottom of the GPU and one fan on the top. Second, the...
Yeah they are just speculating it's a prototype because design looks so new and radical. I also don't agree with their clickbaity headline "absurd design". I think it's impressive and can't wait to see how it performs.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Yeah they are just speculating it's a prototype because design looks so new and radical. I also don't agree with their clickbaity headline "absurd design". I think it's impressive and can't wait to see how it performs.
The idea that we will see RT across the board on nearly all GPUs (I think AMD is doing this too) will be so nice. RTX 2060+ baseline RT performance for everyone.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Thank you. Appreciate your input. Should I wait for when the next Ampere's come out? Everything else is not all that expensive to be quite honest.
It'd be ideal to wait for Ampere or RDNA2 cards since they're only a few months away along with new generation CPUs for a whole system build too that will be coming in the fall in some manner but it also depends on what you have now. If I was confident I could stretch out my PC for a couple more years for Zen 5 I'd consider it but because of my CPU I'm at the point where 30fps is the more favorable option with stuff turned up on newer games because 60+ either can't be hit at or near console equivalent settings or is unstable no matter what.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It could be possible, yes. But I'm not getting my hopes up and you have to account that the Super series exists. I'm going by this rumor by the guy who leaked chip density of A100 and generally got logical and realistic rumors:

ES1eBPxUEAIEyGl

The GA104 would be roughly on par with a 2080 Super from the CUDA core count, but of course Ampere will have architectural advantages such as higher IPC, better RT and also higher clockspeed, presumingly which will put it a little above a 2080 Super and more to a 2080 Ti. I think the GA104 chip will be the RTX 3070. The 3080 would be a little better than the 2080 Ti and the 3080 Ti/3090 would outperform it. So RTX 3070 basically replaces the 2080 Super, which is actually one and a half step, compared to two steps like you described with Pascal.

The GA106 confuses me more. Could be a RTX 3050 but then where does the 3060 fit in? I'm very sure they wouldn't fit 3072 CUDA cores into a 3060, that would make no sense. So going by that, the GA106 could be the RTX 3060 but instead of increasing CUDA cores, they increase clock speeds dramatically due to 7nm efficiency and making it perform similar to a RTX 2070 (Super)

The GA107 seems to be the entry level RTX card, which really indicates RTX across the whole lineup. Maybe that is the RTX 3050, or 3030.

Well, assuming that list is true. But wouldn't the GA104 be closer to the 2080Ti than the 2080 Super? I was under the impression that that card wasn't such a big jump from the original 2080.

The idea that we will see RT across the board on nearly all GPUs (I think AMD is doing this too) will be so nice. RTX 2060+ baseline RT performance for everyone.

This is why I want the bottom-end Ampere card to match the 2060 for like $249. That's still decent for RT if the game has DLSS 2.0, which hopefully many of them should.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A translation of Igor's Lab's info
  • Foxconn or BYD made this card
  • Designs are super fresh and marketing hasn't even seen it yet
  • Cooler gonna be used in the Titan, Ti, and 2080 successor
  • Cooler costs $150 to make
  • Titan might not be called Titan anymore
  • 24GB/11GB/10GB
videocardz.com

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 cooler could cost up to 150 USD alone - VideoCardz.com

NVIDIA has allegedly begun an investigation into the GeForce RTX 3080 leak. NVIDIA PG132 board to launch with three graphics cards Igor Wallossek from Igor’sLAB has new information on Saturday’s leak of RTX 3080 cooler design. The company has allegedly started an investigation. Two...

Last edited:

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
New video from igorslab, the cooler is real as Nvidia started an official investigation. He also has a price for the cooler: 150€. This is going to be a very expensive card. He also says that the top model will likely have 24gb GDDR6X* (X doesn't exist officially, but it will be the fastest available modules), 350W TDP.

I won't lie, the possible price of this card is already causing me physical pain.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Well, assuming that list is true. But wouldn't the GA104 be closer to the 2080Ti than the 2080 Super? I was under the impression that that card wasn't such a big jump from the original 2080.

This is why I want the bottom-end Ampere card to match the 2060 for like $249. That's still decent for RT if the game has DLSS 2.0, which hopefully many of them should.

Even 2060 performance for $250 might be underwhelming. The gtx 980 was like ~$500 and the $250 1060 could nearly match it. Maybe we'll get 2070 performance for ~$250.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
All the leaks focusing on 3080-3080 Ti-3090 and here I am expecting someone to throw me a bone about the 3070 besides the GA104 data...

Nov 2, 2017
150€ for a cooler doesn't sound like a very smart idea. It would drive up the price for very little reason and can put you in a bad spot where you can't lower the price if needed to compete.

I mean you can get a watercooled GPU solution for less than that which will probably be better in both thermals and noise.

can a 600w PSU handle 350w GPU?
I don't think so.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Is there any reason to go with a "founders" gpu over an MSI, Asus or whatever?
I got a FE 2080 because I liked the design of it. The aib cards were huge and ugly. Plus the FE's were cheaper at launch by about £50-100 for the 2080 and £200 for the 2080 Ti.

Status
Not open for further replies.