• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I want to build a new desktop PC in around September with a budget of around 1.300€. The only part I can reuse is a NVMe 1 TB SSD that I'll extract from my current laptop. Everything else I have to buy.

My expectations are:
- 8c/16t or more Ryzen 4000 CPU that can be OC'd
- RTX 3070 (NOT the founder's edition, if possible)
- 32 GB of 3200+ MHz RAM
- Good motherboard
- 4 TB+ 7200 RPM HDD
- Good, reliable PSU (EVGA?)
- Cool RGB case because we all know it boosts performance

Am I being realistic with my budget?

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I want to build a new desktop PC in around September with a budget of around 1.300€. The only part I can reuse is a NVMe 1 TB SSD that I'll extract from my current laptop. Everything else I have to buy.

My expectations are:
- RTX 3070
- 32 GB of 3200+ MHz RAM
- Good motherboard
- 4 TB+ 7200 RPM HDD
- Good, reliable PSU

Yea. You are being realistic.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ko7RaZA.png
Damn, that 2080Ti spike still painful to see after all this time.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

My expectations are:
- RTX 3070
- 32 GB of 3200+ MHz RAM
- Good motherboard
- 4 TB+ 7200 RPM HDD

I think it depends where you live. In Portugal i'd say your specs would be closer to 1500€
I'd save money by buying a cheaper case, 16GB RAM and instead of a 4TB drive an 1TB SSD or a smaller mechanical drive.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I think it depends where you live. In Portugal i'd say your specs would be closer to 1500€
I'd save money by buying a cheaper case, 16GB RAM and instead of a 4TB drive an 1TB SSD or a smaller mechanical drive.
I said that I can reuse a 1 TB SSD that I already have, that's why I'll only buy an HDD and not an SSD

And I live in Spain

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

My expectations are:
- 32 GB of 3200+ MHz RAM
- Good motherboard
- 4 TB+ 7200 RPM HDD

Yeah you're being realistic, enjoy the PC dude that looks great on paper!

I'd say for now just look out for any deals instead of trying to buy these parts all at once, you might be able to save a little bit. I keep seeing a ton of SSD deals too so (I know you already have 1TB SSD) you might be able to get some cheap as well.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I said that I can reuse a 1 TB SSD that I already have, that's why I'll only buy an HDD and not an SSD

And I live in Spain
You misunderstand me. IMO if you can afford it and have good internet I'd say getting a smaller SSD is better than a big HDD despite costing the same. At least for me the Loading Speed of an SSD saves so much time that is worth the small hassle of uninstalling and redownloading more often. For example in my 500 Mbit internet i takes a few mins to install most non AAA games.
In Portugal a 4TB HDD costs the same as a 1-2 TB SSD. IMO I'd be picking the SSD and having 2 SSD instead of 1 SSD and 1 HDD.

For example I bought a 2TB SSD (660 intel) for 250€ from spain. That would be what a 4TB HDD costs here.

If you live in Spain it's probably realistic. I buy most of my stuff from spain because it is cheaper than portugal. I'm super thankful for "your" amazon not charging P&P to us.

Alvis

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You misunderstand me. IMO if you can afford it and have good internet I'd say getting a smaller SSD is better than a big HDD despite costing the same. At least for me the Loading Speed of an SSD saves so much time that is worth the small hassle of uninstalling and redownloading more often. For example in my 500 Mbit internet i takes a few mins to install most non AAA games.
In Portugal a 4TB HDD costs the same as a 1-2 TB SSD. IMO I'd be picking the SSD and having 2 SSD instead of 1 SSD and 1 HDD.

For example I bought a 2TB SSD (660 intel) for 250€ from spain. That would be what a 4TB HDD costs here.

If you live in Spain it's probably realistic. I buy most of my stuff from spain because it is cheaper than portugal. I'm super thankful for "your" amazon not charging P&P to us.
I keep more stuff on my PCs than just games. The HDD is for data, not for games!

Anyways, thanks for the tips!

And thanks to the rest too :) can't wait to have a new desktop PC

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017

For what it's worth, I bought a 3TB HDD recently for €40 in France. It was a great deal but I think you're a little high on your HDD prices. I bought an 8TB external for €120 just last month from Amazon Germany and external is more expensive.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
For what it's worth, I bought a 3TB HDD recently for €40 in France. It was a great deal but I think you're a little high on your HDD prices. I bought an 8TB external for €120 just last month from Amazon Germany and external is more expensive.
Fuck; those are some nice prices.
Here is a local store in Portugal. 200€ for 4TB HDD. I'd imagine In Portugal you could get 4 Tb for 120-150 IF you find a very good deal.

If you decrease the 7200 RPM to the 5000 RPM or there abouts you can get more TB. But 7200RPM? here its expensive. IMO it is so expensive that i'd prefer to just pay a bit more and go for a "crap" SSD like the Intel 660p

I wish i could move to germany.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017

Fun fact: In the US, external HDDs are actually cheaper than internal ones - sometimes substantially cheaper - even when the external model contains the same drive. This has led to a practice known as "shucking", where people buy external hard drives and disassemble them for use as an internal hard drive. I feel a little guilty about just throwing the enclosure, USB controller, and power supply in the trash, but you can save a lot of money if you are building a RAID array and need multiple drives.

You may wonder why external drives are much cheaper than internal drives, despite external drives being more expensive to manufacture. The reason is that HDD makers set prices based on what they think buyers are willing to pay, rather than as a simple function of production costs. External HDDs primarily sell to your average joe consumer, who is very price sensitive. Whereas a lot of internal drives (even consumer-grade ones), are sold to enterprise users who are willing to pay more for the same amount of storage.

To bring the conversation back on topic, this is exactly why I tell people that they should not assume Nvidia will cut prices based on chips having a smaller die size. What really matters is how much they think consumers are willing to pay.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

My expectations are:
- 32 GB of 3200+ MHz RAM
- Good motherboard
- 4 TB+ 7200 RPM HDD

Seems very reasonable. You might even be able to land it reasonably cheaper if you wait a couple of months for Black Friday deals.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Fun fact: In the US, external HDDs are actually cheaper than internal ones - sometimes substantially cheaper - even when the external model contains the same drive. This has led to a practice known as "shucking", where people buy external hard drives and disassemble them for use as an internal hard drive. I feel a little guilty about just throwing the enclosure, USB controller, and power supply in the trash, but you can save a lot of money if you are building a RAID array and need multiple drives.

You may wonder why external drives are much cheaper than internal drives, despite external drives being more expensive to manufacture. The reason is that HDD makers set prices based on what they think buyers are willing to pay, rather than as a simple function of production costs. External HDDs primarily sell to your average joe consumer, who is very price sensitive. Whereas a lot of internal drives (even consumer-grade ones), are sold to enterprise users who are willing to pay more for the same amount of storage.

To bring the conversation back on topic, this is exactly why I tell people that they should not assume Nvidia will cut prices based on chips having a smaller die size. What really matters is how much they think consumers are willing to pay.
And honestly, as DLSS and RT gain more and more support, there'll be *more* games that leverage all that silicon, so I wouldn't presume prices are going to go down unless RDNA 2.0 can throw rays around like nobodies business at a competitive price.

The price of a 20 series looks terrible in comparison to current AMD cards when you compare performance on a game without DLSS 2 support. Not so much when you look at one that has it.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

The clowns at Western Digital are increasingly making their drives Incompatible with shucking. Sad stuff

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The clowns at Western Digital are increasingly making their drives Incompatible with shucking. Sad stuff

It's annoying, but all you really have to do is put a little electrical tape over one of the pins. They're gonna have to try harder if they want to dissuade me.

Holy shit at the TDP(?) of these new GPUs my 1060GTX has a TDP of 120 W. What will the 3060GTX have?

Somebody posted an interesting link in here (a couple days ago). It speculated that Nvidia may have overplayed their hands in negotiation with TSMC and that's why they got stuck with Samsung. It also talked about how Samsung's 8nm is closer to TSMC's 10nm process. If this is all true, it would explain why the TDP numbers are higher than people expected. And as someone who's always a slave to performance per watt, I'm more than a little annoyed if this is true. Because the end consumer isn't going to see any of those factory savings passed on to us.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I keep coming back to this thread, debating whether or not to disassemble my VERY recent build and returning all the major components (Ryzen 3800X, X570 MoBo, GTX 2070 Super) and waiting it out. I should have done my homework, I had no idea anything new was so close on the horizon (though a matter of how close) -- Microcenter had some really good deals on the parts I bought and they are insured which means I could take advantage of the replacement plan, maybe possibly convince them to let me pay extra for the new ryzen CPU and Nvidia GPU. They are pretty lenient as long as you are paying more money.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
I keep coming back to this thread, debating whether or not to disassemble my VERY recent build and returning all the major components (Ryzen 3800X, X570 MoBo, GTX 2070 Super) and waiting it out. I should have done my homework, I had no idea anything new was so close on the horizon (though a matter of how close) -- Microcenter had some really good deals on the parts I bought and they are insured which means I could take advantage of the replacement plan, maybe possibly convince them to let me pay extra for the new ryzen CPU and Nvidia GPU. They are pretty lenient as long as you are paying more money.

I think your 3800X should be ok for some time. I'd return the GPU and get something cheap to tide you over if you need it. That wouldn't be as much hassle.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I think your 3800X should be ok for some time. I'd return the GPU and get something cheap to tide you over if you need it. That wouldn't be as much hassle.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what I'm gonna go ahead and do. I think I have a relative who has a old GPU I could bum off of them for a bit. And I'm cool with holding onto the 3800X, I'm very happy with its performance.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
3800x is fine until 2022 when everything will change(ddr5, usb4.0, pcie5.0).

2070 super I would return if you can.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If I recall, DDR4 support for higher speeds on AMD/Intel motherboards took a few years to work out all the kinks when it first came out (earlier motherboards were not great in terms of compatibility and the speeds they would support) so building a PC now isn't a bad idea, especially on the mature Ryzen platform; knowing what we do about Zen 4 not using DDR5, it's entirely possible we'll get one more upgrade for the AM4 socket, and unlike Zen 3, Zen 4 is going to be 5nm.

Although when I say "by now", I mean "once prices return to their pre-pandemic numbers and the new GPUs/Zen 3 comes out".

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I recall, DDR4 support for higher speeds on AMD/Intel motherboards took a few years to work out all the kinks when it first came out (earlier motherboards were not great in terms of compatibility and the speeds they would support)

Not really (well on Intel's side anyway).
I remember having some issues with my X99 platform but when Skylake released you could go pretty high in memory frequency already.

In this 6700k review (August 15, in french) they were using DDR4 3600 17-18-18-38

Amir

Jun 7, 2018
I dont like this at all:
Another juicy bit of information from the ITHome report is NVIDIA allegedly guiding its partners to increase prices of its current-gen high-end graphics cards in response to a renewal in interest in crypto-currency, which could drive up demand for graphics cards.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I dont like this at all:
Another juicy bit of information from the ITHome report is NVIDIA allegedly guiding its partners to increase prices of its current-gen high-end graphics cards in response to a renewal in interest in crypto-currency, which could drive up demand for graphics cards.

I'm having a giggle at all the hopefuls believing this generation Nvidia is going to be aggressive with the pricing. Maybe they will be, but not making prices aggressively low.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
they were not happy with the sales of RTX cards.
Due to GPU mining crash creating an excess of used Pascal GPUs dumped on the market for 1/2 to 1/3 of the usual used card price in each category.
There was literally nothing they could've done to counter this. 2080 should've been priced at $400 to be "competitive" with that.
Once that ran out the 20 series prices were fine and sales were fine too.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Due to GPU mining crash creating an excess of used Pascal GPUs dumped on the market for 1/2 to 1/3 of the usual used card price in each category.
There was literally nothing they could've done to counter this. 2080 should've been priced at $400 to be "competitive" with that.
Once that ran out the 20 series prices were fine and sales were fine too.

The market share of Turing cards is still nowhere close to Pascal in the Steam hardware surveys, even years later.

The 1050-1070 hold the top 4 spots and make up 30% of the market.
The 1650-2070 is only about 15%, even with a lot more models including all the super variants.

For pretty much every model, the Pascal version has 2X or more market share than the Turing version. Even some Maxwell models were ahead until pretty recently.

I don't know whether Nvidia is happy with this level of sales or not. I would guess that lower sales + higher profit margin is probably OK for them as long as they are primarily competing against their own products and maintaining that 90% overall market share. If AMD was more competitive then I think they would care more about sales volume. Basically standard monopoly rules apply.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Does anyone from the UK remember how much the 2080 was at launch? I can only see the $699 RRP.

I managed to grab a used one last year for £450, but I'd upgrade to a 3080 if it's £700.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The market share of Turing cards is still nowhere close to Pascal in the Steam hardware surveys, even years later.

The 1050-1070 hold the top 4 spots and make up 30% of the market.
The 1650-2070 is only about 15%, even with a lot more models including all the super variants.

For pretty much every model, the Pascal version has 2X or more market share than the Turing version. Even some Maxwell models were ahead until pretty recently.

I don't know whether Nvidia is happy with this level of sales or not. I would guess that lower sales + higher profit margin is probably OK for them as long as they are primarily competing against their own products and maintaining that 90% overall market share. If AMD was more competitive then I think they would care more about sales volume. Basically standard monopoly rules apply.
A lot of people (including me) weren't happy with the price/performance ratio of the RTX series and that was a common theme in the Turing thread. Bargain bin prices on used 1070s/1080tis only compounded the issue. So I'm not surprised at all if they underperformed.

Oct 25, 2017
I also think that the market share numbers are really skewed by net cafes. They're really common in Korea and China and other countries, and they're loaded with 1060s and 1070s because they're set up to run esports titles at high fps, not to do ray tracing or anything fancy. Net cafes will not upgrade to RTX cards for a long time because they have no reason to. A 1060 will be plenty to run esports titles at 100+fps for years to come.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Random question, what ever happened to the advertised DLSS 2x? It was supposed to be a more performant version of super sampling, which give similar results to SSAA.

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA

My expectations are:
- 32 GB of 3200+ MHz RAM
- Good motherboard
- 4 TB+ 7200 RPM HDD

Yeah, that's realistic. Hope you enjoy your build!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

My expectations are:
- 32 GB of 3200+ MHz RAM
- Good motherboard
- 4 TB+ 7200 RPM HDD

I would spend more on the GPU above all else, get a 3080 min imo, which will be about 20% better than the 2080 Ti by the sounds of it, 3070 is going to be just under the 2080 Ti.
Getting a cheaper 3700x might be an idea when the 4000 line comes out, the performance between them won't be that massive.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Random question, what ever happened to the advertised DLSS 2x? It was supposed to be a more performant version of super sampling, which give similar results to SSAA.
They've concentrated on getting the performance option up to where it was promised to be.

You can kinda get DLSS 2x with DSR 4x - 1/4th of resolution rendering (display's native) with DLSS reconstruction up to DSR 4x res and then downscaling from there back to your display resolution. This way you're getting native res rendering with DLSS performing "supersampling".

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
They've concentrated on getting the performance option up to where it was promised to be.

You can kinda get DLSS 2x with DSR 4x - 1/4th of resolution rendering (display's native) with DLSS reconstruction up to DSR 4x res and then downscaling from there back to your display resolution. This way you're getting native res rendering with DLSS performing "supersampling".

So DLSS 8K? Bring it. This sort of thing is why DLSS would absolutely be worth adding even to games that are already easy to run at high framerates.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking of splurging on an LG 48CX in the near future, what are the odds that the 3070 will be able to do most stuff at 4k60, potentially with RT on? I don't fancy pushing my luck with wife approval on almost £2,500 worth of purchases!!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Thinking of splurging on an LG 48CX in the near future, what are the odds that the 3070 will be able to do most stuff at 4k60, potentially with RT on? I don't fancy pushing my luck with wife approval on almost £2,500 worth of purchases!!

The 3070 will probably be similar to the 2080ti in power. From what I understand that should mean most current-gen games should be able to run at native 4K60 without RT and maybe with some smart setting adjustments, though with G-Sync having 50-60fps would probably still be fine. With RT, you're going to need to make sacrifices, but if the game has DLSS 2.0 you could just activate Quality mode and likely still be fine - though if it has that, you should activate Quality Mode either way. It matches or surpasses native 4K with a 70% performance bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.