• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
www.tweaktown.com

New GeForce RTX 3090 leaks: 12GB GDDR6X at insane 21Gbps

NVIDIA's purported GeForce RTX 3090 would feature 5348 CUDA cores, 12GB GDDR6X at 21Gbps.

Anyone know if this twitter user is trustworthy ?
This is the same thing that's been discussed for like longer than that twitter post, Tweaktown kinda sucks though. Honestly, a lot of these tech sites seem to have gone down the toilet, like WTF happened to Tom's Hardware?!
So the whole line could be out inside this year?

If there's no 3070 this year I might just do a total rebuild but keep my 1070 until the 3070 does drop.

I'm already CPU and RAM bottlenecked as it is, and my motherboard is from 2013 so all that's getting replaced, but I'm still gonna be on a 1080p TV for the time being. It's not like a 1070 would do terribly with this fall's AAA games under those circumstances.
This is a likely case with me though my CPU/Mobo are older, doing my new build and if there isn't a GPU to my liking just sticking with my 1070 a bit longer though I'm aiming for going above 3070.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Are we speculating that the 3090 is a dual GPU card again, a successor to the x x80Ti line or a wholly new king of NVIDIA's hierarchy altogether?

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
I'm fine with prices staying the same as Turing if the performance actually increases with each tier this time.

I'm not. With new consoles launching in just a few months in the $400-500 range for the entire system, prices need to come down substantially for people not to simply leave PC gaming and get an Xbox/PS instead.

I've been a PC gamer since I was 3, but for the first time I'm considering getting a PS5 instead since I find it difficult to warrant the 4x price for a gaming PC with essentially the same hardware.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
I'm not. With new consoles launching in just a few months in the $400-500 range for the entire system, prices need to come down substantially for people not to simply leave PC gaming and get an Xbox/PS instead.

I've been a PC gamer since I was 3, but for the first time I'm considering getting a PS5 instead since I find it difficult to warrant the 4x price for a gaming PC with essentially the same hardware.

im waiting for a time to bow out from high end pc gaming, but as long as I have disposable income I'm going to stay on top

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
im waiting for a time to bow out from high end pc gaming, but as long as I have disposable income I'm going to stay on top

What's to it for me is simply M+KB, and a perceived larger screen. I can't warm up to the thought of playing Doom or RTS games with a controller, but if there had been a M+KB option for the consoles it would have been a no brainer for me, considering the rather enormous price gap.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
What's to it for me is simply M+KB, and a perceived larger screen. I can't warm up to the thought of playing Doom or RTS games with a controller, but if there had been a M+KB option for the consoles it would have been a no brainer for me, considering the rather enormous price gap.

yeah i pc on a 65 inch so i'm already end game. just looking for more end game lol

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Seems rogame update his numbrrs, now its 30% improvement only.. I really hope this is not the Ti version.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I use my computer for more than gaming so I still need to be in on pc gaming because of convenience. Tbh, there is still incredible value in owning a gaming pc not only because of all of the mods, but outside of gaming stuff too.

....oh and the literal years of backwards compatibility doesnt hurt either. Still... PC gaming be expensive tho.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I mean if AMD is aiming to dethrone RTX2080Ti i could see Nvidia putting RTX3070 at that range and then having 2 tiers above that to make sure AMD is not even close.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
You are essentially agreeing with me. Regardless of the metric most people used they just didn't see the performance improvement they needed to move them off their 10 series. Even with better pricing a lot of people were just going to wait for the 30 series to upgrade. I was never tempted to move off my 1080 and would have stood pat even with much better pricing.

Also end of generation cards. Few people would have felt the urge to upgrade for games rooted in the GTX 660, and it made sense to wait and make sure what you buy is next-gen proof. I think Ampere is going to see altogether different sales numbers - providing they can keep the price down. They need to make sure a PS5 equivalent card at the very least costs less than the entire console does. And even there I think there might be a problem since most people will need to upgrade every part of their system to keep up with next gen.

We'll see, but I strongly suspect a lot of people will migrate from PC to consoles this coming generation. Especially since it's launching in the deepest recession since the 1930s, and the price gap between a gaming PC and a console will be substantial.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Well, current expectations from everything leaked so far would put 3070=2080Ti, 3080 would be 2080Ti +20+30% and the top end card(s) (Titan and possibly a 3090 later) should land around 2080Ti +50% or so.

This would be in line with a process change on Turing base. But maybe they did ran into clocking issues and the chips won't go above the same ceiling as Turing. Then all bets are off.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
What I really want to know is if the ray tracing performance is actually almost quadruple that of equivalent Turing cards. Obviously, those benchmarks aren't going to tell us that.

It's super important for me in particular as ray tracing has been my holy grail for well over a decade now. Damn, I need it...

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Seems rogame update his numbrrs, now its 30% improvement only.. I really hope this is not the Ti version.

I also think that is the 3080; no way the performance gain isn't better than Turing. Sounds like maybe it will be something like a ~30% performance gain compared to Turing cards with similar core counts. So perhaps a 2304-2560 core 3060 will edge out the 2080 a bit in performance.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I also think that is the 3080; no way the performance gain isn't better than Turing. Sounds like maybe it will be something like a ~30% performance gain compared to Turing cards with similar core counts. So perhaps a 2304-2560 core 3060 will edge out the 2080 a bit in performance.

I really hope you are correct. 30% for 3080 and 60% for 3090/80Ti will be huge for next gen games.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
If the 2080Ti crusher is $400 (or $350 if I'm feeling lucky,) that 3070 is going to look real funny at $550+

AMDs 2080Ti beater wont be 100+ dollars cheaper than Nvidias xx70(2080Ti beater).

Ive resigned myself to paying 500+ dollars for the xx70.
AMDs equivalent will be within spitting distance of that.

What im really curious about is AMDs RT solution and if more console ports will be supporting that instead of RTX.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't RTX just a brand? For DX12 games raytracing is done with DXR. Pascal doesn't even have RTX and it can run raytracing.

Yeah it is just a brand of technology but like Nvidia had all those different enhancements that were Nvidia specific, would games that support RTX and have Nvidia backing enable Raytracing just because AMD cards have their own Raytracing solution?
I dont think so.

I figured console ports with AMD Raytracing would have the feature as DXR or something and games that specifically use Nvidias solution would be RTX.
The question is are more games going to port console raytracing to RTX or to hardware agnostic Raytracing?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is just a brand of technology but like Nvidia had all those different enhancements that were Nvidia specific, would games that support RTX and have Nvidia backing enable Raytracing just because AMD cards have their own Raytracing solution?
I dont think so.

I figured console ports with AMD Raytracing would have the feature as DXR or something and games that specifically use Nvidias solution would be RTX.
The question is are more games going to port console raytracing to RTX or to hardware agnostic Raytracing?
What features are you talking about? DLSS? That's not a ray tracing feature. Quake 2? That implementation is the basis for VulkanRT

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Yeah, DXR, the official Vulkan ray tracing extension, and VKRay (Nvidia's internally-developed antecedent to the latter) are 100% vendor-agnostic. The only reason DXR and RTX are practically synonymous is that neither AMD nor Intel currently offer GPUs that support it.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Are we speculating that the 3090 is a dual GPU card again, a successor to the x x80Ti line or a wholly new king of NVIDIA's hierarchy altogether?

I don't think there will be anything architecturally special about the x90. This will be about price and consumer psychology. Nvidia is using a different model number so they can charge a higher price. Like with the 2080 Ti, people complained a lot because the price was 50% higher than the 1080 Ti. I think if they had just called it 2090 instead they would have gotten fewer complaints. Just like when they originally introduced the Titan cards.

There are a lot of people who get it in their head that they are going to buy a specific model, like the 3070 or whatever, before it is announced. Maybe because they have previously bought x70 cards and think "this is my lane". If the next x70 card gets announced and it is a lot more expensive than they are used to, they get mad. They don't want to go to an x60 card when they have bought x70 in the past.

Nvidia wants to push its customers toward the higher priced products, and they think they can do this by gradually increasing the prices of each model. You may continue to always buy x70 cards, but eventually they cost as much as the x80 used to, so Nvidia has gotten you to switch to the higher priced lane. With Turing they took it too far and tried to raise the price too much at once.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, DXR, the official Vulkan ray tracing extension, and VKRay (Nvidia's internally-developed antecedent to the latter) are 100% vendor-agnostic. The only reason DXR and RTX are practically synonymous is that neither AMD nor Intel currently offer GPUs that support it.
Bro, we are talking medium to high end dont put Intel in there.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What features are you talking about? DLSS? That's not a ray tracing feature. Quake 2? That implementation is the basis for VulkanRT

Ahh twas my confusion. RTX DXR who can keep up these days.
We should expect Raytracing enabled console games to be ported with DXR support that hopefully AMDs cards are able to play at console settings right? Right?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh twas my confusion. RTX DXR who can keep up these days.
We should expect Raytracing enabled console games to be ported with DXR support that hopefully AMDs cards are able to play at console settings right? Right?
Yes. The Bethesda games are up in the air, but since VulkanRT is based on Nvidia's work (and works similarly to DXR) there shouldn't be much issue

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
If that card is not the 3080 i would be quite disappointed by NVidias Ampere series.
Since the announce of Ampere on 7nm I expected a 3080 performing like that(25-30%) better than a 2080 ti.

A 2080 super is just 10-15% behind a ti

What makes me sad is the possibility about a no show 3070 at launch.

With a 3080 30% stronger than a 2080 ti I think is doable a 3070 5-10% ahead of a 2080 ti.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
If the 3070 is a GTX 2080ti with a slightly increase in performance how do you guys expect this to be priced?

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
As more and more specs leak out I'm struggling to figure out which 3000 series card I want to get... Majority of the time my PC will be connected to 1440p @ 144hz monitor so I know even the 3070 should in theory crush that. I am mainly trying to estimate how often I will bring my PC out to the couch so I can game on a nice screen in 4k. Do PC games utilize any of the rendering techniques that consoles do to avoid rendering in native 4k ? I'm playing TLOU2 and at 1440p the IQ is just amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.