• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Every game should have a hookshot/grapple hook in it
Or super powers (Saint's Row 4.gif)

I've been playing Batman Arkham Knight, and i love the zippyness, and before that I thought no game would be able to top Just Cause hook + parachute combo for traversal. Then Saints Row 4 happened and blew me away with super powers in open worlds.

Spider-Man better have a functioning wing suit for SM2. Web + wings is an amazing alternative to super jump and glide/flight.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm anti Sprint not because of sprint but because of how 343 has implemented it. If there was a way to sprint and also have your gun up at all times then I'd be for it.

This video basically explains all my issues with how 343 has made their games. They promote "enhanced mobility" but all of their "mobility" options actually slows the game down.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm anti Sprint not because of sprint but because of how 343 has implemented it. If there was a way to sprint and also have your gun up at all times then I'd be for it.

This video basically explains all my issues with how 343 has made their games. They promote "enhanced mobility" but all of their "mobility" options actually slows the game down.

what they should do is make it so you can shoot while sprinting, and then make it so you're sprinting at all times

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
what they should do is make it so you can shoot while sprinting, and then make it so you're sprinting at all times

The thing is at that point they might as well just increase the speed like Doom. If they want to make your screen shake or something so that the people who are addicted to sprinting aren't complaining then sure I guess.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
hey now there's an idea

Also 343 literally stretched every single map to accommodate sprint, and made the ledges higher to accommodate clamber.... so Halo 5 literally didn't need any of the options they added they were basically all artificial.

I hope Infinite actually makes good design decisions.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One thing I hope for in Infinite is better voice acting for the Spartans.

When the Spartans communicate on the map it literally sounds like generic dude talking over a walkie talkie.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've played plenty of Halo, sprint was fine in H5.
You're right, sprint is fine in H5, but I feel like it's better without it.

Have you tried the custom playlist with increased base movement speed and no sprint? It was in the game temporarily like a month or so ago and played great

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, sprint is fine in H5, but I feel like it's better without it.

Have you tried the custom playlist with increased base movement speed and no sprint? It was in the game temporarily like a month or so ago and played great

It's less than ideal since it's FFA (blegh) but it looks like it's coming back today

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, if you take the base movement speed of halo 3 and add 10%, and take halo 5 sprinting speed. They are nearly identical. Sprint adds nothing to the series, all an illusion that you're moving faster. The game isn't any faster with sprint. Matches aren't magically faster, time to finish is still similar.

Sadly, it's a fight that I've given up on. I've been trying since Reach, and nothing will change that. I think clamber, spartan charge, ground pound, and stall are far worse.

If Halo Infinite only had sprint and thrust, I could be happy with that. Just depends on execution, I just don't think it's possible to get the original halo feel back. I'd be ecstatic to be proved wrong.
Bullshit.

Halo 5's run speed is about 2.6 world units/second.

Halo 3's run speed is about 2.2 world units/second.

Halo 5's sprint speed is about 3.4 world units/second.

For context a description of world units: https://www.forgehub.com/threads/forge-unit-conversion-guide.149468/

I assume you're basing your claim on the heretic Vs truth videos which is sketchy reasoning at best.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

This video is fucking stupid and people need to stop posting it (and I'm anti-sprint). It puts contrived restrictions on the mobility to make its point. It ignores you can do stuff like stabilize + thrust to top mid. Also saying enhanced mobility is negligible/illusion isn't really a good criticism against enhanced mobility because it can easily be countered with, "Well if it's not impactful why do you care." Plenty of good arguments against enhanced mobility, this video is not it.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh gotcha. I see. I still don't think its add to the series much. But the combination of abilities is far more annoying than sprint imo.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
If it takes the around the same amount of time to go base to base on Midship in Halo 2, 3, and 5 with sprint, who cares if sprint moves more world units per second? The scale of the map looks to be consistent with the fastest movement speed in each game, so in practice sprint in Halo 5 is similar to the walking speed in 2 and 3.

Which is kind of the argument? Sprint increases map size at the expense of non sprint gameplay while still only going from place to place in the same time as it took in the older titles.

Maps scaled to Halo 5's BMS world units would take the same amount of time to travel by walking as a map scaled to sprint would take by sprinting. Sprint serves no purpose in this case, as I don't see how someone can argue that increasing the map size to accommodate sprint is a reason to include sprint.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
From the IMDB Halo Infinite Cast page:

"Brute 3" voice actor is in... :)

giphy.gif

tumblr_nciee7FJtX1tucgljo1_500.gif

jem

Oct 25, 2017
If it takes the around the same amount of time to go base to base on Midship in Halo 2, 3, and 5 with sprint, who cares if sprint moves more world units per second? The scale of the map looks to be consistent with the fastest movement speed in each game, so in practice sprint in Halo 5 is similar to the walking speed in 2 and 3.

Which is kind of the argument? Sprint increases map size at the expense of non sprint gameplay while still only going from place to place in the same time as it took in the older titles.

Maps scaled to Halo 5's BMS world units would take the same amount of time to travel by walking as a map scaled to sprint would take by sprinting. Sprint serves no purpose in this case, as I don't see how someone can argue that increasing the map size to accommodate sprint is a reason to include sprint.
Because the time it takes to traverse a map is merely one facet of "speed".

The actual speed of the player (ie: the world units/second value) has a strong impact on the perceived level of speed - if you were to double the size of a map and double the player's speed then it would take the same amount of time to traverse but it would feel like you're moving more quickly. Sprint further emphasizes this increased perception of speed by utilising audiovisual cues - sprint might not reduce the time it takes to move around maps but it does make it feel like you're moving more quickly. Side note: this is what I expect most people are referring to when they say sprint makes the game faster.

Changing the actual speed also affects the player's speed relative to other moving objects such as projectiles, vehicles and other player's reticules - a slower actual speed will make it easier to hit a strafing player. Conversely if you increase the actual speed too much aiming can become problematic.

Also, the argument posed by the truth vs midship videos is inherently questionable. It relies on the assumption that the only reason for a change in distance between bases is the inclusion of sprint. This might be valid if Truth were a straight Midship port scaled up but it clearly isn't.

I should add, I'm not arguing for or against sprint here. Just saying that argument is both limited and flawed.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the rumour is that the game is semi open world, but does anyone know or can anyone clarify if that means something closer to classic Halo or certain levels in Uncharted 4 or Gears 5, eg open linear? Or more like Destiny, God of War or Tomb Raider where there's open ended seperate areas with a returnable hub space or location?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So the rumour is that the game is semi open world, but does anyone know or can anyone clarify if that means something closer to classic Halo or certain levels in Uncharted 4 or Gears 5, eg open linear? Or more like Destiny, God of War or Tomb Raider where there's open ended seperate areas with a returnable hub space or location?
Probably similar to Gears 5.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
User banned (1 week): Hostility. Account in junior phase.
Don't do this to yourself. "Dynamic" describes a process that characterized by constant change.

"Sprint" and "base movement speed increase" are both examples amplifying max speed. The difference is that Sprint limits what you can do while traveling at max speed. While a speed increase imposes no extra limitations.

While sprinting, you can't move laterally or backwards, you cant shoot, you cant throw grenades, you cant check your flanks, you cant strafe dodge, you can't reload etc. In Halo 5 you can't recharge your shield. All you can do is sprint forward in a predictable trajectory until you decide to disengage that mode.

By replacing sprint with an equally fast base movement speed, you empower the user to do multiple combinations of those things, simultaneously or in quick succession, at any moment . Also, the user is not locked into a "static" speed like when sprint is engaged, but is instead free to move at any velocity between 0 and max speed.

In other words, the player is more empowered to change or modify their actions or react to the actions of others when you don't have to sacrifice combat options in order to move fast. This all leads to more dynamic combat.

As I said, the sprint mechanic is inherently less dynamic than the alternative and there's really no argument otherwise. You should check your own understanding of the word.

The Sprint mechanic is nothing but limitations placed on what the user can do while moving at max speed. You take those limits away, and encounters instantly become more varied.

I don't care about shooting or w/e while moving. I mentioned dynamic movement... Not shooting/actions or whatever. Pay attention and keep up. Stop bringing it up it doesn't matter to me and doesn't address any of my points. Again permanently boosting movement speed isn't constant change. It is always present thus it is not dynamic movement. It is a simple concept that you are too stupid to understand...

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
So Halo should change to accommodate for....who exactly? The people who play the game and drop it after two weeks? How about listen to the huge vocal fan base that is clamoring to have things go back to the way they were? Also lol at "hold back" like the amazing concepts of Halo 4+ 5 are evidence of "Halo : Unleashed!!" Lmao. Naw.

Lol you could say the same about the ppl who want 2005 Halo. MCC isn't doing too impressive. Also, Halo hasn't catered to anyone it is being held back by ppl who want the same game every couple years. Halo 4/5 were held back by ppl crying at any change. That is why some ppl want 343i to make a game that isn't Halo.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
Why does the change need to occur other than "well, other shooters..."? Halo worked perfectly fine before sprint was introduced, the only reason it was ever added was because 343i said "yeah, but they're doing it so we should too."

Yeah, it worked in 2005. If it was 2005 that would be fine. Name one arena shooter that relies on old mechanics that is still going strong. They all get released and quickly die even the ones that cater to the hardcore fans. Meanwhile, the shooters that evolve and adapt thrive...

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Please use the Multi Quote and Edit option, instead of replying to every post individually. Thanks.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see level design inspired by Crysis 1.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, i remember this.

This is my first time seeing this... the Samus knights seem much less annoying than the ones we ended up with in H4

I don't care about shooting or w/e while moving. I mentioned dynamic movement... Not shooting/actions or whatever. Pay attention and keep up. Stop bringing it up it doesn't matter to me and doesn't address any of my points. Again permanently boosting movement speed isn't constant change. It is always present thus it is not dynamic movement. It is a simple concept that you are too stupid to understand...

Don't do this bro. Lol. It's a shooting game and you don't think the ability to shoot "matters" when talking dynamism. Lol

Even within your laughably inaccurate argument, Sprint isnt more dynamic than having move speed controlled purely by the joystick:

When you're sprinting, you are locked into a single speed and a single direction.

When speed just a function of joystick deflection, you can move at ANY Speed between 0 and max speed and in any direction. Boosting movement speed, increases the the number options...e.i. gameplay scenarios will be more dynamic

Movement and combat without sprint is literally and objectively more dynamic than with sprint. You not caring doesnt make it less true. But I'm the stupid one? LMAO

Last edited:

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
This is my first time seeing this... the Samus knights seem much less annoying than the ones

Don't do this bro. Lol. It's a shooting game and you don't think the ability to shoot "matters" when talking dynamism. Lol

Even within your laughably inaccurate argument, Sprint isnt more dynamic than having move speed controlled purely by the joystick:

When you're sprinting, you are locked into a single speed and a single direction.

When speed just a function of joystick deflection, you can move at ANY Speed between 0 and max speed and in any direction.

Movement without sprint is literally and objectively more dynamic than with sprint. But I'm the stupid one? LMAO

I mentioned dynamic movement not dynamism... You are just changing the conversation because you are wrong.

I really don't care about that stuff because it wasn't my point. Make a version of sprint that doesn't lock you out of shooting or doing actions I don't care. My concern is dynamic movement.

>Sprint isnt more dynamic than having move speed controlled purely by the joystick

Haha Halo has never worked like this and you never brought this up before but yes that would be more dynamic than sprint. I suspect the other Halo purists would hate it tho. This is at least better than your dumb idea of boosting movement speed and calling it a day.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned dynamic movement not dynamism... You are just changing the conversation because you are wrong.

I really don't care about that stuff because it wasn't my point. Make a version of sprint that doesn't lock you out of shooting or doing actions I don't care. My concern is dynamic movement.

>Sprint isnt more dynamic than having move speed controlled purely by the joystick

Haha Halo has never worked like this and you never brought this up before but yes that would be more dynamic than sprint. I suspect the other Halo purists would hate it tho. This is at least better than your dumb idea of boosting movement speed and calling it a day.

What you said you like dynamic movement . I detailed how sprint is less dynamic. I'm not changing the conversation nor am I wrong.

Now your arguing that Halo has never worked such that move speed is controlled by moving the joystick? What versions of Halo have you played? This is how it's always worked lmao... you move the joystick a short distance - spartan moves slow, you move the joystick a larger distance , spartan moves faster.

There is already a version of sprint that doesnt lock you out of shooting or doing actions... it's occurs when moving the joystick fully in one direction allows you to move at sprint speed, but you can still shoot because it base movement and not some separate mode of movement that comes with arbitrary penalties attached.

You truly think it's more "dynamic" to make max speed come via a button press, rather than simply moving the joystick, but I'm somehow dumb. This is hilarious.

Last edited:

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it worked in 2005. If it was 2005 that would be fine. Name one arena shooter that relies on old mechanics that is still going strong. They all get released and quickly die even the ones that cater to the hardcore fans. Meanwhile, the shooters that evolve and adapt thrive...

CSGO is one of the biggest FPS games in the world. Overwatch iirc has only one character with sprint.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
What you said you like dynamic movement . I detailed how sprint is less dynamic. I'm not changing the conversation nor am I wrong.

Now your arguing that Halo has never worked such that move speed isnt controlled by moving the joystick? What versions of Halo have you played? This is how it's always worked lmao...

Movement speed in Halo has always been static (you have a base movement speed) besides like crouching or not moving obviously. You keep bringing up dynamism and dynamic gameplay. Which has never been my focus. Sprint can always be configured to work with that if that is a main concern for you. It isn't like there is only 1 possible implementation of sprint.

SoSchwifty

Jan 3, 2020
CSGO is one of the biggest FPS games in the world. Overwatch iirc has only one character with sprint.

Yeah but I said arena shooter not FPS shooter. Overwatch is a modern shooter. CS Go is also free and not what I asked for... Visit /r/ArenaFPS where Redditors lament that the arena FPS genre is dying. Halo being an old school Arena FPS will not work. Ppl just expect more from shooters these days.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't want to be in 343s position. Imagine that the fate of years of work is decided by the presence or absence of a button that makes the player faster. The pressure is unimaginable.

On a more serious note: It doesn't matter if sprint is present or not for the wider player base. The games fate will be decided by a variety of factors, key among them will be their progression/reinforcement system.
The market situation is another huge one that we can't foresee. Your average player, meaning many, many millions, doesn't give a damn about sprint.
343 will make the game they think is best. And that's is honestly what they should be doing.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Movement speed in Halo has always been static (you have a base movement speed) besides like crouching or not moving obviously. You keep bringing up dynamism and dynamic gameplay. Which has never been my focus. Sprint can always be configured to work with that if that is a main concern for you. It isn't like there is only 1 possible implementation of sprint.

Bro what are you even saying? Having a base movement speed doesnt mean speed is limited one value... there are a number of speed values between standing still and full stick deflection.

Regardless of what your "focus" is, its wrong to say Sprint is more dynamic movement. The "Sprint Mechanic" as we know it is defined by sacrificing movement and offensive options in exchange for a reaching max speed in one direction. This is objectively less dynamic than allowing max speed to be achieved in any direction whilst still maintaining all offensive options.

The notion that tying max speed to a button press and a slew of restrictions makes movement more dynamic is laughable. Which is the better example of dynamic movement?

1) having to "sprint" forward so that you can clear a jump
Or
2) being able to clear the same jump while facing any direction

Option 2 allows for many more possibilities, because you can do other things while making this jump.

Sprint is what it is. Now if we wanna talk about alternatives to sprint, that allow for a sense of speed but don't sacrifice the dynamic gameplay that accompanies having uninterrupted access to all movement and offensice options at all times, I'm game. But it wouldn't be sprint. Simply increasing base movement speed is one such alternative that is known to work (see: previous hardcore playlists, mythic arena)

Last edited:

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I just got done watching the Digital Foundry id tech 7 video (after being on media blackout for Doom Eternal since the reveal) and that's how I want Infinite to play. You don't need to swing on bars or wall jump, but the good speed, dashes, and extra jumps would work in Halo. Shit, I didn't even remember Eternal had a grappling hook of its own and it completely made sense when I saw it used.

After 3 games of similar design philosophy for two decades straight (the 2000's Classic trilogy and 2010's advanced ability trilogy) Halo Infinite in 2020 should be different from any Halo before, with a design philosophy not born from trying to appease COD fans, but rather taking what does work from old and current Halo and going in a new direction.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I said arena shooter not FPS shooter. Overwatch is a modern shooter. CS Go is also free and not what I asked for... Visit /r/ArenaFPS where Redditors lament that the arena FPS genre is dying. Halo being an old school Arena FPS will not work. Ppl just expect more from shooters these days.

Actually the trend is that fan-bases of existing franchises want certain gameplay features paired back. Do you remember the whole boots on the ground movement that grew out of the the advance movement cods?

Feb 23, 2018
Sometimes I ask myself what is more detrimental to Halo's popularity and reputation:
... advanced movement robbing Halo of it's unique identity ...
... or years of trench warfare regarding the grand Sprint discussion, mauling each other and portraying modern Halo and/or 343i as a 'failure'

If I was someone interested in the Halo franchise, entering this thread I would get the impression, that a) this game has an awful community and b) modern Halo isn't worth getting into.

With or without Sprint: H5 is a great game gameplay wise, in today's shooter market there is very little that even comes close.

Why can't we as a community get together and overcome this extreme thinking.
=> 'Classic fans' almost objectively made H5 a much better game with their valid criticism
=> ... and at the same time evolving Halo the right way IS an extremely difficult task and it's definitely not as 'simple' as many people in the community make it seem with even Bungie being creatively bankrupt and jumping ship.