• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact, if you take the base movement speed of halo 3 and add 10%, and take halo 5 sprinting speed. They are nearly identical. Sprint adds nothing to the series, all an illusion that you're moving faster. The game isn't any faster with sprint. Matches aren't magically faster, time to finish is still similar.
I don't know why people talk about sprint in a vacuum as if it's the only contributing factor to Halo 5 feeling like a faster paced game than its predecessors. Lots of different things contribute to game feel.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
It's not hard to understand that when we play as super soldiers we want to be able to go fast all the time in all directions while being able to shoot while going fast. Like in the cinematics. Lowering your weapon to go fast and being locked into forward movement was a dumb change. Leave that stuff in realistic games like COD, R6 and PUBG.
Also, you know, don't have that shit in cinematics. Halo 5's intro cutscene was awful, because it shows your Spartans doing shit they'll never be able to do in-game, especially on higher difficulties.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should make sprinting the default movement speed and you have to hold a button to walk!

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Lottery Battle Rifle made it great, although no one wants to hear that.

(On top of more obvious things like great maps).
Haha, yeah people love to look back at Halo 3 but seem to forget how inconsistent that thing was, especially depending on netcode.

Part of me just wonders if deep-down, people just want Halo to be the Zeitgeist it was with the original trilogy. I feel like people just want Halo to be the game they can go back to playing with their group of friends every night like they did before.

I may be wrong, but for those who prefer Bungie's games/no sprint, if Halo Infinite became a huge phenomenon but still had sprint, would you be happy or leave Halo behind? Genuine question.

Oct 17, 2018
Halo 3 MLG settings is the best version of any Halo.

Honestly, all I ask for Infinite is for them to remove sprint permanently, remove armour abilities/spartan abilities from RANKED playlists (can keep that trash in social if you want), and for them to remove power weapon spawn messages in ranked. If they just give me this I'll play Infinite for the next 5 years straight just as I did with Halo 3.

Oh and finally give us some good maps on par with The Pit and Guardian for example.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Also, you know, don't have that shit in cinematics. Halo 5's intro cutscene was awful, because it shows your Spartans doing shit they'll never be able to do in-game, especially on higher difficulties.
You'd vastly limit the amount of things that can be done in cinematics if everything has to translate to gameplay.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
? Default movement speed in 1 + 2 was slightly faster but the gameplay was still the tactics and positioning heavy relatively slow stuff it was in 3.

tactics and positioning heavy isn't mutually exclusive with fast paced. Weapon switching and strafing is so fast in Halo 2, not to mention BXR stuff, and Halo 1 has like the fastest kill times in any Halo.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, all I ask for Infinite is for them to remove sprint permanently, remove armour abilities/spartan abilities from RANKED playlists (can keep that trash in social if you want), and for them to remove power weapon spawn messages in ranked. If they just give me this I'll play Infinite for the next 5 years straight just as I did with Halo 3.

Oh and finally give us some good maps on par with The Pit and Guardian for example.
So basically just give you Halo 3 again

yeah ya'll gon be disappointed as fuck in Infinite lmao

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I still think btb and campaign should have sprint but the main arena modes should permanently lockit out

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
You'd vastly limit the amount of things that can be done in cinematics if everything has to translate to gameplay.
I'm not saying that. Some things are fine being cutscenes. I enjoyed the walk and talk segments in H5, but they easily could've been cutscenes. I'm saying if you have a cutscene including your Spartan team killing dudes, let us do the actual killing.

That opening battle was useless and ludicrous and could easily have been playable. The ending cutscene of that level also somewhat falls into the same pit. You don't fight M'dama, you get to see Locke fighting him instead. At least there they showed the Spartans doing actual Spartan stuff, rather than them somehow being Avengers.

Oct 17, 2018
So basically just give you Halo 3 again

yeah ya'll gon be disappointed as fuck in Infinite lmao
If adding shit like sprint and spartan abilities is the only thing 343 can think of in order to make Halo feel new and not repetitive like CoD, then maybe they should give the game to someone else since they're obviously incapable of doing it themselves.

It wouldn't be a Halo thread without people whining about sprint.

t - someone who probably barely played Halo.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Sprint should be scrapped for higher base movement. I shouldn't be able to run away and I shouldn't have my weapon unusable anytime apart from reloading, fragging or using melee.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
If something was detrimental to your favorite series you'd wine too.

Exactly. It's not like the anti sprint brigade is a group of five people yelling at clouds. Lately I am viewing the Sprint debate through the lens of impeachment. One side makes its argument with facts and evidence. The other side looks at said evidence, smirks, nods and then goes "But muh speed".

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
If adding shit like sprint and spartan abilities is the only thing 343 can think of in order to make Halo feel new and not repetitive like CoD, then maybe they should give the game to someone else since they're obviously incapable of doing it themselves.

t - someone who probably barely played Halo.
I've played plenty of Halo, sprint was fine in H5.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy with social having sprint, ranked not having it
Yeah i think they can't just remove it

I loved halo 5 but it was a game that came out unfinished - been playing a lot of mcc and also some halo 5 with classic settings (no sprint) and I am ready for the main arena mode to go back to this design

On the other hand i want btb to be bigger and more insane - they can push the envelope there in terms of abilities

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. It's not like the anti sprint brigade is a group of five people yelling at clouds. Lately I am viewing the Sprint debate through the lens of impeachment. One side makes its argument with facts and evidence. The other side looks at said evidence, smirks, nods and then goes "But muh speed".
Except it's my lore lol. I'm a lore guy, I'm staring at like 25 books or so. The games do not have to mimic what spartans are in lore. It doesn't make sense to me.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I've played plenty of Halo, sprint was fine in H5.

Nobody has argued that sprint doesn't work in Halo 5. The argument is that the introduction of sprint as a whole has had a negative impact on many aspects of map design, balance and combat.

Except it's my lore lol. I'm a lore guy, I'm staring at like 25 books or so. The games do not have to mimic what spartans are in lore. It doesn't make sense to me.

Sprint is fine in Single player and the lore. I personally do not think it works from a multiplayer gameplay design perspective. To the point that I cut Halo off five years ago. I quit Reach after two weeks and H4 after one.

Mar 29, 2018
tactics and positioning heavy isn't mutually exclusive with fast paced. Weapon switching and strafing is so fast in Halo 2, not to mention BXR stuff, and Halo 1 has like the fastest kill times in any Halo.
True, I guess I feel that the overall pace of the battles isn't much difference between them, even though TTK, switching and strafing may have slowed down across the series.

Like, the rhythm of each battle has remained the same and is still glacial compared to something like CoD.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see a smoke grenade added to Halo. I wanted it added way back in 2014. I think it would be a great addition.

cluk

May 22, 2018
I think sprint can be fine. Just have it barely increase your speed. Apex Legends does it well. Put away your guns and you run even faster. Just nerf sprint ya know.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a fun idea that adds another sandbox element for strategy, especially for objective and larger game modes.

it'd be a good element of change that doesn't pertain to changing the core of Halo.

a smoke grenade sounds good. Like the flare from Halo 3, but not completely garbage and unpleasant to use this time

Akai

Oct 25, 2017

Especially not in MP, which is why I still think that Halo 4's attempt to bring lore into MP was unneccessary.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like every time in the last 10 years I've ducked into a Halo Community thread, ya'll arguing about Sprint.

Like...let that shit go, bro. That battle was lost the moment Halo lost its relevance to CoD. It's gonna happen. Get the *fuck* over it, you had a decade to do it.

Halo lost its relevance to COD simultaneously with adding sprint though... 🤔

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to see a smoke grenade added to Halo. I wanted it added way back in 2014. I think it would be a great addition.
I feel like if it's a grenade type, it should have a damage property.

Maybe a gas/toxic grenade? Thick green cloud that obscures vision like a smoke grenade, but can still deal damage and kill.

Halo can easily have cool grenade types than just the standard frag and sticky, but they always change the extra grenades every game.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, if you take the base movement speed of halo 3 and add 10%, and take halo 5 sprinting speed. They are nearly identical. Sprint adds nothing to the series, all an illusion that you're moving faster. The game isn't any faster with sprint. Matches aren't magically faster, time to finish is still similar.

Sadly, it's a fight that I've given up on. I've been trying since Reach, and nothing will change that. I think clamber, spartan charge, ground pound, and stall are far worse.

If Halo Infinite only had sprint and thrust, I could be happy with that. Just depends on execution, I just don't think it's possible to get the original halo feel back. I'd be ecstatic to be proved wrong.

Did you play Mythic Arena when it was featured im Halo 5? It kept thrust send ditched sprint. It was glorious.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Oh, c'mon. Sprint won't go away anymore anywhere, it's 2020 and it's OK.

H5 Multi formula was also ok, I would just wish it to be a bit more streamlined and simplified + applied to much more interactive, open and destructible (NOT-FORGE) environments.

For Campaign a semi-open world level design similar to Crysis 1 would be incredible for a game and pace like Halo.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
yet there are arguments in this thread complaining about the ability of Spartans to grab hold of ledges and clamber up. Basically a QoL feature yet paragraphs have been written to say it's ruining Halo.

Because they arent QoL features of they remove elements of the game that people prefer.

Like being able to grab onto a ledge and climb up isn't bad in a vacuum. But if maps are designed such that you HAVE to stop shooting, face the wall, and get trapped in an animation in order to reach higher places, then the QoL hasnt improved for players who value being able to ascend the to higher places whilst simultaneously being able to look freely and engage the enemy.

The theory of clamber is a QoL improvement. But the way it's been executed in Halo makes it, like sprint, more restrictive than the alternative.

The sad part about clamber is that if jumps were designed around crouch-jump height instead of base jump height + clamber, it would actually be a QoL improvement.

You're missing what people's actual objections are. Being ABLE to clamber isnt as objectionable as REQUIRED to clamber in order to navigate effectively. Likewise, being ABLE to run isn't as objectionable as being REQUIRED to put the gun down and lock into single direction in order to move quickly.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Halo's innovation and ability to compete with other games was less from changing up the formula of the base game and more of adding features that were rare, especially for a console game at the time? Forge, Theater, in-game friends lists, matchmaking, new modes and gametypes, etc.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Mythic is just a secondary playlist as SWAT and others. It's cool to have it, but that's it...
Played way better than base 5, and I LIKED base 5.

Mythic just showed I didn't need any of that extra stuff and especially not Sprint. Thrust is okay since it really doesn't break flow as bad as Sprint did

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
Seems prototype stuff as something like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

But unlike the promethean knight above, there's nothing to see here...

Oh, i remember this.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Remember when Halo's innovation and ability to compete with other games was less from changing up the formula of the base game and more of adding features that were rare, especially for a console game at the time? Forge, Theater, in-game friends lists, matchmaking, new modes and gametypes, etc.
Bungie almost totally overlooked the competition when developing the Halo saga, and they mostly went straight with their own path.
This allowed Halo to be so unique and innovative in many areas (with the features you listed), but this made it also lag behind competition on other aspects (bland in-game storytelling and emotional characterization, a less mature and realistic tone and style, outdated sound effects, an overly iterated game engine, much less movement freedom and fluidity).

Those aspects were rightfully addressed by 343 with H4 Campaign and H5 Multiplayer.
The only thing 343i did wrong was too much mimic CoD MP formula hoping to cater a big chunk of the CoD fanbase to Halo, but this just resulted in loosing a lot of core Halo fan in the meantime...
Plus they really went too far hoping to smoothly pass the Master Chief main character torch to a new un-flashed guy like Locke and his uninteresting Co-Op friendz (except Buck).

Both things already addressed with Infinite :)
Now they really are on the right track for a truly next-gen Halo, especially considering the bold decision to step back to a more classic visual and audio design, while keeping most art style advances achieved with 4/5.

To make the Halo Combat...Evolved again, what it's missing and it would be amazing are exactly those most open area to explore and to fight in, more rich with life and details and beauty to just look at, alterned by a much bigger all-out war between different factions, and a much more big battlefield scope.

c bweezie

Jan 8, 2020
I honestly don't know what I want from Halo, and haven't since 3. Hopefully 343 can tell me what I want this go around.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Really hope they add in an Apex Legends-esque Ping system. Team play is SO much better with it

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Finally some good fucking food. Rumble sounds like FFA though? Shame if it is, I wanna play team modes

Halo 5 mythic has been brought up in this thread. If you haven't played it yet, try it out.