• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 25, 2019
London
I feel like I explored just fine in Halo CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 without the need for a grapple hook.

I'm not saying it's bad. Nowhere did I say adding a grapplehook is a bad idea. I'm just saying that's not "going back to our roots". There was nothing "gadgety" about Halo CE. It was an AR/Pistols game with great map design.

You're focused on the grapple hook aspect, while I'm saying that the rumor of a "semi-open world" is in line with the philosophy of going back to the roots of what made Halo CE great.

Jan 4, 2018
I hope it's not open-world or semi-open world. I just want epic and packed levels with large-scale battles like The Ark and The Covenant.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
HI_E319_BSPK_Reboot.jpg

HI_E319_Act3_TheBrokenRing.jpg

HI_E319_BSPK_RingExplosion.jpg

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Grappling hooks are the best

Love a good grappling hook

Just zipping around all over the place like Spider-Man feels good

Jan 4, 2018
Isn't "epic and packed levels" exactly what semi-open world is? Halo 1 style where you're in a big combat sandbox.

In my opinion, a semi-open world is something like the new Tomb Raider trilogy. I fear that a semi-open world would slow down the pace of the game.

These non-combat missions in Halo 5 were terrible, added nothing and were a waste of resources. I also hated the open-world sections in Gears 5 as it added nothing and slowed down a lot the pace. That's why I'm sceptical about Halo Infinite being semi-open world.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't see anything mind blowing there that would limit the game looking like that during gameplay on PC/Series X.

Cutscenes in all modern games use different geometry , textures and even environments. It's one of the reasons that photo modes lock you out from turning the camera around In many games.
I can't imagine those habits will have suddenly changed. I'd love to be proven wrong.
Next gen baby!

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In my opinion, a semi-open world is something like the new Tomb Raider trilogy. I fear that a semi-open world would slow down the pace of the game.

These non-combat missions in Halo 5 were terrible, added nothing and were a waste of resources. I also hated the open-world sections in Gears 5 as it added nothing and slowed down a lot the pace. That's why I'm sceptical about Halo Infinite being semi-open world.

What about ODST?

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017

The non-combat bits in 5 are not what I would describe as semi-open world. They were linear levels. Being semi-open world can open up different way to approach combat and it doesn't have to be only used for vehicle traversal like in Gears 5.

Last edited:

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grappling hooks are fun, but not Halo fun. They don't fit imo. But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Edit: And I'm talking about PvP. Go nuts with campaign.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so curious about this game man. I'm all in on Halo everything this year on PC so hopefully Infinite is good.

I haven't Halo 5 btw but the multiplayer looks super fun.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The non-combat bits in 5 are not what I would describe as semi-open world. They were linear levels. Being semi-open world can open up different way to approach combat and it doesn't have to be only used for vehicle traversal like in Gears 5.

I think that when people say semi-open world they perhaps expect something along the lines of the original Halo game'a Silent Cartgrapher , where the environment was fully explorable, however the gameplay Itself was super deliberate and designed.
Nobodies favourite encounters were from dropships, they were from the meticulous placed and scripted enemy encounters.

I think if you look at something like Destiny 2 or even Spider-Man or even Batman, 2 games that create an illusion of an open world game by having almost 2 layers of play. The hub world in which you can move around and then missions which load in and become much more tightly controlled linear experiences with super deliberate encounters.

versus a "pure" open world game such as Just Cause, which gives you a simulated world and a bunch of toys to play with.
I don't think this is the game that people want from Halo, because these are the games that get padded out with icons and fetch quests (even the other games mentioned above are guilty of that)

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I think that when people say semi-open world they perhaps expect something along the lines of the original Halo game'a Silent Cartgrapher , where the environment was fully explorable, however the gameplay Itself was super deliberate and designed.
Nobodies favourite encounters were from dropships, they were from the meticulous placed and scripted enemy encounters.

I think if you look at something like Destiny 2 or even Spider-Man or even Batman, 2 games that create an illusion of an open world game by having almost 2 layers of play. The hub world in which you can move around and then missions which load in and become much more tightly controlled linear experiences with super deliberate encounters.

versus a "pure" open world game such as Just Cause, which gives you a simulated world and a bunch of toys to play with.
I don't think this is the game that people want from Halo, because these are the games that get padded out with icons and fetch quests (even the other games mentioned above are guilty of that)
Destiny is a good example. A small but vast hub world filled with combat encounters. I think they'll still have linear level designs but it seems like 343 wants to create a seamless world with no loading screens.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Cleaning enemy outposts scattered throughout the map is something that really fits with Halo's campaign formula of entering/exiting/entering vehicles depending on the combat scenario. Besides, having a fleshed-out system of allied marines that can follow you (or not) across levels is something that would work really well, too.

And yeah, having a grappling hook really suggests exploration. Even if it's as simple as Far Cry 5's I'd be down for it. That also suggests map verticality, but that was almost a given because this is a Halo game.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Destiny is a good example. A small but vast hub world filled with combat encounters. I think they'll still have linear level designs but it seems like 343 wants to create a seamless world with no loading screens.

Destiny Does it on occasion, you down down into a cave with just a wee streaming that gives away any kind of seam hitch and Boom, you are inside a big new world with all manner of crazy set pieces.

Halo Lends itself to the same type of thing with all the forerunner structures, interplanetary travel etc
I think that's how's they will handle the narrative story missions. I don't think that it will be destroy the outpost to unlock part of the map and tick up a 1% or two of completion ala MGSV

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Lol. Man I'm all for grappling hooks and am sure it'll be fun af, but how are they going to justify a 500kg Spartan spidermaning across the landscape? Makes no sense lore-wise, but I kinda like that 343i is potentially eschewing reality in favour of fun - bodes well for their design philosophy

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Lol. Man I'm all for grappling hooks and am sure it'll be fun af, but how are they going to justify a 500kg Spartan spidermaning across the landscape? Makes no sense lore-wise, but I kinda like that 343i is potentially eschewing reality in favour of fun - bodes well for their design philosophy

The real question is why not just use a jet pack?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay is more important then lore. People don't even want to sprint when Spartans are supposed to be stupid fast with armour. It would probably be some futuristic type grapple or something. As long as it's fun.