• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
What about DOOM Eternal and Overwatch?

I love it, just 'cause.
The slow moving and no sprint is kind of pivotal to the objective modes of overwatch. Your aren't supposed to be able to jet back to the payload after your whole team is wiped.

also Doom moves just as fast as sprint in halo if not faster so what's the difference

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
The slow moving and no sprint is kind of pivotal to the objective modes of overwatch. Your aren't supposed to be able to jet back to the payload after your whole team is wiped.

also Doom moves just as fast as sprint in halo if not faster so what's the difference
i mean, slower movement was pretty pivotal to halo's flow for a long time, too.

and there's a huge difference between base movement speed - which allows you to shoot and use all your abilities - and a dedicated sprint mode. i'm sure you'd agree that doom would play fundamentally differently with sprint.

and besides, that's just sprint--what about ADS?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Halos slower movement was what separated it from other shooters on console. Were people really tired of Halo because you could never sprint or ADS? Just increase the base speed to MLG and I'll be set.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
i mean, slower movement was pretty pivotal to halo's flow for a long time, too.

and there's a huge difference between base movement speed - which allows you to shoot and use all your abilities - and a dedicated sprint mode. i'm sure you'd agree that doom would play fundamentally differently with sprint.

and besides, that's just sprint--what about ADS?

ADS in H5 is nearly entirely cosmetic. Works both ways in that case: why have it at all, etc.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
If you consider that the roots of Halo were the massive levels in Combat Evolved that gave people huge sandboxes in which to play. Levels like Halo, Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room, etc. Giving players more tools with which to explore big, open levels or worlds sounds a lot better than 4 or 5's overly designed setpieces

I feel like I explored just fine in Halo CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 without the need for a grapple hook.

I'm not saying it's bad. Nowhere did I say adding a grapplehook is a bad idea. I'm just saying that's not "going back to our roots". There was nothing "gadgety" about Halo CE. It was an AR/Pistols game with great map design.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
ADS in H5 is nearly entirely cosmetic. Works both ways in that case: why have it at all, etc.
eh, it's less cosmetic than i'd like--or, at least, it was when i last played h5. i remember it having a pretty significant impact on spread for the SMG in particular.

regardless, i just prefer it when shooters emphasise hip fire over ADS. always have, really, even if i've enjoyed the odd call of duty from time to time.

i really have no problem with the idea of halo changing - like, a grappling hook? could be loads of fun! - but not if those changes primarily consist of it borrowing stuff from call of duty just 'cause that was the done thing for a while.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
eh, it's less cosmetic than i'd like--or, at least, it was when i last played h5. i remember it having a pretty significant impact on spread for the SMG in particular.

regardless, i just prefer it when shooters emphasise hip fire over ADS. always have, really, even if i've enjoyed the odd call of duty from time to time.

Aye, it affects spread on autos, but I've never felt it unduly powerful/imbalanced/necessary. I completely agree with hip-fire over ADS, and H5 still hits that note for me. I'm assuming Infinite will be similar, tbh.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Going back to roots does not necessarily entail not innovating...

Sure.

I don't find a grapple hook to be that innovating. I just don't want a new Halo game that focuses less on gun gameplay and more on gimmicks (like i'd argue 343 titles do). Halo 5 was fine, but that's the peak of innovation i'd want in a Halo title, as far as all the other gimmicks they added in. When I think of "going back to our roots" I think simpler. Nothing simple about adding a grapple hook in. We know nothing yet, so I was just making an observation.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope the maps are as iconic as the trilogy. I played every single Halo and I can't remember the name of any map from Reach to 5. Aside from Swordbase. Maybe if I saw the screenshot of a map I could visualize the layout and spawns, but I couldn't name it to save my life.

Now The Pit? Lockout? Blood Gulch? Iconic. Best maps in FPS.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's all the above but you're right about it being strongly Gen Y.
It's never the generation the game was intended for, it's the younger siblings that got their hands on it.

And now that I think about it, with the timing of Gen Y and Gen Z I can see it being very important to both.

My brother (7 years older than me, a Millennial) introduced me to Halo. I was 5 when it came out.

I'm the one who read all the books, plays it more, and would love to work on it. Dat childhood nostalgia lol

That totally makes sense. I can understand that.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I just hope the maps are as iconic as the trilogy. I played every single Halo and I can't remember the name of any map from Reach to 5. Aside from Swordbase. Maybe if I saw the screenshot of a map I could visualize the layout and spawns, but I couldn't name it to save my life.

Now The Pit? Lockout? Blood Gulch? Iconic. Best maps in FPS.

Blood Gulch is iconic, but is also shite :D

The Pit is ace.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Blood Gulch is iconic, but is also shite :D

The Pit is ace.

Blood Gulch slander will not be tolerated. Lol. It might've been the map that ignited my preference for shooting games in general. I love maps like Beaver Creek too, but that shit would not work with abilities. Sprinting to the next base when it's five feet away? I'm good.

Jun 10, 2018
So it looks like Halo Infinite may indeed be Open World or have some Open World elements given the Grapple Hook and the Compass at the top.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
People like non regenerating health but it makes no sense...
Why would the UNSC go back to old tech when the current tech can revive their vitality levels?

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i really have no problem with the idea of halo changing - like, a grappling hook? could be loads of fun! - but not if those changes primarily consist of it borrowing stuff from call of duty just 'cause that was the done thing for a while.
I never ads and I'll always top the charts. That complaint has always been bullshit

Jun 5, 2018
whenever I think of the 343's halo games it makes me a little sad bungie wanted to put the story to an end with 3/reach and I've never felt attached to the series since.

if the gameplay Is diverse enough and somehow manages to justify its existence i'll pay more attention even if the game does turn out good I still feel they could just as easily break away from halo with this but I guess the brand carry's to much money.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I never ads and I'll always top the charts. That complaint has always been bullshit
mate, i'm not nearly as fussed about competitive advantage as i am about the way it feels to play. i mainly play campaign, after all. no need to be so aggro.

i prefer it when shooters are designed around a bunch of the guns not having sights. simple as.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mate, i'm not nearly as fussed about competitive advantage as i am about the way it feels to play. i mainly play campaign, after all. no need to be so aggro.

i prefer it when shooters are designed around a bunch of the guns not having sights. simple as.
My post wasn't aggro at all. Sorry you read it that way. Halo 5 could be played exactly like the first 3 concerning movement and shooting. That's why I call that argument bullshit when people bring that up.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Hype!
They are still keeping the ugly sniper design I see.
I like the Halo 5 sniper, hate the BR's look, pistol could look and sound more powerful but the sniper was fine. As said it's literally the Halo 5 one and likely placeholder anyway. AR has 5's silhouette although we know they're going with the ugly Reach one.

Scoped weapons functioned exactly how they did in the past with hip fire and "ADS" increasing RRR, automatics just tightened spread but were largely different outside of that system anyway (they were actually viable for once). I don't like smart scope and hope it doesn't return in Infinite but the criticism on its impact is exaggerated.