• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Do fans really wanna see what makes him wolverine? Feel like you show them weapon x and you are good to go. Origins sucked but have an opening like that which shows him during the times and it would be cool.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Let me explain Feige's philosophy to you: every Marvel character belongs to a tier.

Wolverine and the FF are S tier.

They're not getting introduced in a TV show. Elaborated on after their movie appearance? Sure. Not introduced though.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
While I would have agreed that it would be the wrong idea to have the the X-Men revolve around Wolverine in the same way that the franchise did under Fox, I think that this could actually be a good way to set the stage of some mutant/X-Men lore in the MCU in the same way that Captain America The First Avenger and Agent Carter provided a little set up for the MCU prior to the current day.

They could tie him into MCU history with Captain America or Bucky as well as introduce some other mutants, and like others have said, they could use it as a way to tell Wolverine stories without having it take up all the air from X-Men films. That plus he's a character that doesn't need a huge budget to simply exist on screen, so it makes telling grounded stories with him a no brainer. With it being an anthology series where most of everything happens in the past, they could have it be multiple seasons if they want or jump around to different eras.

I'd be totally fine if they went this route to introduce the character and just move past Wolverine movies (initially at least) to give the other X-Men and mutant characters some space while he just pops up in various movie. Then maybe build up to him being a co-lead in an event/crossover film, and then that is when you finally give people the Wolverine movies they want to see.

Yeah I'd honestly be down for all this as an approach. Use solo series or even solo movies to do all the Wolverine stuff everyone likes, that way you can actually go in on all the other X-Men actually being a team and such because you've already met your Wolverine quota.

Let me explain Feige's philosophy to you: every Marvel character belongs to a tier.

They're not getting introduced in a TV show. Elaborated on after their movie appearance? Sure. Not introduced though.

I will not take this Ms. Marvel slander.

Or this She-Hulk slander.

And certainly not this Moon Knight slander.

>:U

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

If Disney want as many subscribers as possible they're gonna need to throw in some S tier characters sooner or later.
Wolverine really is the perfect choice as the character is popular and because he's usually part of a team, where he'll share the spotlight with others, a tv-show of his own really do make sense.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
How is Captain America and the Iron Man successor not S-tier goddamn characters

The days of Agents of Shield having to tiptoe around movie events and characters is long gone. We're prime time now.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah I'd honestly be down for all this as an approach. Use solo series or even solo movies to do all the Wolverine stuff everyone likes, that way you can actually go in on all the other X-Men actually being a team and such because you've already met your Wolverine quota.

I will not take this Ms. Marvel slander.

Or this She-Hulk slander.

And certainly not this Moon Knight slander.

>:U

Lol, I know it hurts, I love Jen but... yeah.

If Disney want as many subscribers as possible they're gonna need to throw in some S tier characters sooner or later.
Wolverine really is the perfect choice as the character is popular and because he's usually part of a team, where he'll share the spotlight with others, a tv-show of his own really do make sense.

I can see X-Men shows down the line, and introducing lesser characters, but I just can't see Wolvie or the first class making their debut there.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though, as I'm thirsty for content and a show will hit screens faster than a movie.

How is Captain America and the Iron Man successor not S-tier goddamn characters

Who are you referring to?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
As a power rangers fan, I immediately question anything that comes from that hashtag show

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
I bet Wolverine will be someone unknown, young and hot (this one is obvious, since when MCU casts a not-hot actor).

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless he's DRASTICALLY different, I'm not sure this is needed to "introduce the character", as he's pretty well-worn at this point.

Also, lol at this "exclusive" news.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Not mad at this. Particularly if it's done Fargo style
A Wolvie season where he was on the run from his demons in Madripoor.
A Weapon X wolvie season
A season where maybe he hangs out with Alpha Flight for the whole arc.

Wolvie has had a shitload of side stories; miniseries, etc. While some people already insinuating that he's too important to introduce through television; you can have years of solo Wolverine plotlines, it would be a huge show based on name recognition, and would still free him up for whatever plotlines you have planned in the movie MCU.

Hell, Wolvie's so well known, you could probably have the show hit the ground running and save introducing mutants at a later time since Wolvie needs no explaination.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on which version of the backstory they decide to go with. I was happy when it was just Weapon X, but Marvel couldn't be content and had to keep adding more and more, most of which was bullshit.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Depends on which version of the backstory they decide to go with. I was happy when it was just Weapon X, but Marvel couldn't be content and had to keep adding more and more, most of which was bullshit.

I hated all the Romulus shit they added to his back story. So convoluted and unnecessary. (of course Loeb was behind it, garbage writer that he is)

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I think that's a great idea actually.

just do a "Logan" or "Weapon X" series and then take a break between that and the actual films so it can do its own thing.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
An ornery Canadian who gets into scraps, chills out with his friends at a few regular haunts, hates degens

There's only one choice for Wolverine

B8866233Z.1_20180312161604_000_G443ASM0.3-0_Gallery.jpg

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
While this rumor is 101% fake.

But in the next few years Disney+ will grow large enough to support top tier character like Wolverine.
I mean Netflix just bought 2 Knives Out sequels for $450m like nothing.
Even Feige will go all out with Wolverine on Disney+, a mini-series with 4-6 episodes will cost what, probably less than $200m.
And I absolutely sure it will one of the popular series ever on Disney+ if the rumor turns out to be true.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love Wolverine but can we give Wolverine a break, please? There are other X-Men that are just as interesting or more interesting.

I'm not saying I don't want new Wolverine content, but I would like some time to see others shine before putting him back in the spotlight.

(The only acceptable Wolverine revival is an adaption of James Howlett's epic romance with Hercules)

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea who this site is, but this is something I'd want. Keep the Wolverine baggage out of X-Men movies and explore it independently. Hell, if they do an original Uncanny X-Men movie in parallel it could setup nicely for when they add Wolverine and the Claremont characters to the team.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Was he though? He was good in THAT role, but his portrayal of Logan was not anything like the comic character.

Probably because at the time it was one of the best live action comic roles I had seen yet and I was a huge Logan fan in the 80s. I do think they intentionally toned down his savage side for the earlier movies. It wasn't until the Logan movie that he was given free reign to be the berserker.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Wolverine meets Highlander: The Series is perfectly fine with me and it keeps Wolverine on the table while not having to make everything Wolverine and The X-Men again. Get all his baggage done on D+ and then he can just be there for the ensemble pieces. Let Cyclops lead the actual X-Men movies as Mutant Cap.

Let's go a step further. If MCU wants to recycle any of the X-Men Storylines that have been done to death (I'm looking at you Phoenix Saga) do it on D+ so it doesn't crowd the movie schedule.

Last edited:

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
No idea of its true or not but this is similar to how i thought marvel should handle xmen. Have solo/small teamup movies and save the xmen movies as a small avengers like movie

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are probably a lot of headline worthy things in early development at marvel that we'll never see.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I know it hurts, I love Jen but... yeah.

I can see X-Men shows down the line, and introducing lesser characters, but I just can't see Wolvie or the first class making their debut there.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though, as I'm thirsty for content and a show will hit screens faster than a movie.

Real talk, if anything puts Wolverine and the X-Men outside of the Disney+ "tier" it's box office potential. Proper well-done MCU Wolvie and X-Men will make stupid boat-loads of money, just all the fucking money.

That said don't know if we can entirely chalk up the D+ shows to being smaller affairs unworthy of the "cinematic" treatment, not when we're getting a goddamn Eternals movie lmao. WandaVision straight-up doesn't work in a non-serial format, She-Hulk is clearly a loophole exploit to make a solely Hulk-centric story without paying Universal for distribution, and I imagine something potentially bigger like Ms. Marvel gets thrown there to bolster D+ itself.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Real talk, if anything puts Wolverine and the X-Men outside of the Disney+ "tier" it's box office potential. Proper well-done MCU Wolvie and X-Men will make stupid boat-loads of money, just all the fucking money.

That said don't know if we can entirely chalk up the D+ shows to being smaller affairs unworthy of the "cinematic" treatment, not when we're getting a goddamn Eternals movie lmao. WandaVision straight-up doesn't work in a non-serial format, She-Hulk is clearly a loophole exploit to make a solely Hulk-centric story without paying Universal for distribution, and I imagine something potentially bigger like Ms. Marvel gets thrown there to bolster D+ itself.

Yeeah, I really dislike the Eternals lol, so I was shocked to learn they were getting a movie. Ideally MCU makes hits and then follows up with TV shows to draw new fans onto the service. And stuff like Moon Knight gets an opportunity to be a hit or a flop on TV rather than spend too much money on cinema releases.

I think it's also worth reiterating that Feige said he didn't want shows like WandaVision to be required viewing for movies, which I appreciate even though I'm a nerd. You don't want to make getting into the MCU a homework assignment for mainstream audiences.

If we do get a Wolvie prequel, I think it'll have to work as a standalone with zero X-Men references or appearances. Which begs the question: why bother? A standalone prequel will only be effective after we've met the guy in the context of the X-Men I think. In the same way the Star Wars prequels are only effective after you've watched the originals, dramatic irony being the major selling point.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Still presumably going to be at the forefront of whatever the MCU is going forward

If Sam ends up being Cap in the end then Falcon & WS will be completely unnecessary as background for future MCU movies. Endgame clearly set up as Sam taking on Cap's mantle. So starting the next Avengers movie or whatever with Sam in the suit will be perfectly natural segue for someone who only watches the movies but doesn't watch the TV shows. Which is likely what Feige intends.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Um let's give it some time. There is a huge library of archived Disney shows and movies on it and it has the simpsons and a bunch more fox stuff is coming.
Look at who you're responding to lol

Disney+ has over 100m subscribers and its barely a year and a half old. Being a Marvel/Star Wars service is absolutely not killing sub interest.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Look at who you're responding to lol

Disney+ has over 100m subscribers and its barely a year and a half old. Being a Marvel/Star Wars service is absolutely not killing sub interest.
If anything it's actually generating sub interest since each show that has come so far has boosted their base.

Gimmick troll accounts sure are fun!

Dali

Oct 27, 2017

He's on record saying that to fully understand future MCU movies you would need to watch the D+ shows. Maybe that was to push D+ because these words were said before any MCU show had released and D+ was in its infancy, but with what happened in Wanda Vision there's merit to what he was saying. I don't see what would be the big deal if a major character is introduced in a D+ show when they've already
introduced White Vision, Wanda's kids, and the Scarlet Witch.
A brief cameo of "oh hey, She-Hulk, this is Dr. Richards, he's head of our astro-physics department" or Bucky reminiscing about when he met this crazy government agent guy back in the day like he did with
black captian america
only with a flashback playing while he's talking showing he's talking about Logan/Wolverine/Weapon X doesn't seem all that far-fetched.

www.forbes.com

Kevin Feige Confirms You’ll Need To Watch Disney Plus Marvel Shows To Keep Up With The Movie MCU

Disney Plus Marvel shows are not launching with the service, but when they arrive, it's now clear they will be essential viewing for the MCU.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Will wait for a better source

That said, we've had 20 years of Logan/Charles/Magneto/Jeeeeeean. Get me some real Jubilee and Gambit and better Scott and Billy. Ngl Deadpool been cooking though