• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I can't wait for this port to be real, running in real time, obviously massively conceded in rendering resolution, asset complexity, and overall detail and depth compared the PC/Xbox/PS4 builds, but still unusually nice looking due to the porting process carefully hand tailoring the quality and distribution of assets and shaders to retain the overall art direction to the best of the hardware's strengths and weaknesses without simply lazily culling half the game and reducing all the assets to absolute low.
I mean, I think PC on Low settings at 720p is a decent starting point to see how the comparison would be, obviously LoDs, draw distance, will see cutbacks, texture resolution as well, probably many meshes won't have the highest level of detail of the other versions, the resolution will probably be between 720p and 648p docked and 480p/432p undocked... But the game will still be The Witcher 3, with the visual identity fully intact.

It's always the same with every port, really. So many games have already come out that the kind of compromises you can expect for a good port are known by everyone. But it's always the same story.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait for this port to be real, running in real time, obviously massively conceded in rendering resolution, asset complexity, and overall detail and depth compared the PC/Xbox/PS4 builds, but still unusually nice looking due to the porting process carefully hand tailoring the quality and distribution of assets and shaders to retain the overall art direction to the best of the hardware's strengths and weaknesses without simply lazily culling half the game and reducing all the assets to absolute low.

Yeah I expect this to surprise some people here with how good it can look given the proper care and optimization.

And then other people will probably call it unplayable.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
I can't get people being okay with possibility of a game as detailed as this one running at 400p. That would kill all its visual identity. I'm not saying a downgrade isn't bearable, but this game running at PS Vita resolution and not being able of recognize anything because of the blurriness is way far from okay.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I think it's going to be completely possible just a lot of Era will just be "unimpressed" by it because it's dynamic 720p docked with it reaching as low as 320p, reduced foliage etc at frame rates as low as 18fps during intense parts. And undocked will have a more stable frame rate but with 320p being more common resolution in undocked mode.

I can completely see this kind of thing happening as a Switch Port. I don't know why others can't see it getting a port with these kinds of sacrifices.

Powerwing

Nov 30, 2017
Probably already said/thought about, but what if the game was drastically changed/simplified graphic wise, something akin cell shading with simplified geometry/effects/physic while retaining the quests/structure/story... ?
Hiding the trade-offs with "toon"/whatever shader or something like that

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Probably already said/thought about, but what if the game was drastically changed/simplified graphic wise, something akin cell shading with simplified geometry/effects/physic while retaining the quests/structure/story... ?
Hiding the trade-offs with "toon"/whatever shader or something like that

That's probably way too much work to do for a port. Is it so hard to believe that they could scale back certain settings and optimize the code for the newer hardware in the Switch to get reasonable visuals and performance? I'm not expecting anything above 720p (probably not even getting to that) but I think it will probably look okay on the Switch screen.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That DF potato actually runs the game better than I expected lol. Two things seem to be the issue: CPU power and memory bandwidth. When both are eliminated, then the potato runs at a solid 30 FPS. My guess is this port will run at 576p docked/400-ish p unlocked, with a frame rate that maintains 30 FPS for the most part but can drop to 23-25 in Crookbag Bog or Novigrad.

Powerwing

Nov 30, 2017
Is it so hard to believe that they could scale back certain settings and optimize the code for the newer hardware in the Switch to get reasonable visuals and performance?
Not at all, Doom was a nice surprise (even more with the later patches), it's probably possible but i'm skeptical about the end result given the nature of the game (open world, already 30 fps on PS4/xbox one,...)
I can't wait to be proven wrong though, regarding my theory/fantasy if handled by Bluepoint Games i don't think it would be too much work but yeah i'm probably dreaming ^^

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That DF potato actually runs the game better than I expected lol. Two things seem to be the issue: CPU power and memory bandwidth. When both are eliminated, then the potato runs at a solid 30 FPS. My guess is this port will run at 576p docked/400-ish p unlocked, with a frame rate that maintains 30 FPS for the most part but can drop to 23-25 in Crookbag Bog or Novigrad.
if they use the 1.78GHz clock, they can overcome that cpu bottleneck

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
if they use the 1.78GHz clock, they can overcome that cpu bottleneck
Good point! I guess DOOM and MK11 use the original 1GHz, right? A bump for games that need could be a life saver for Switch ports like this that need the extra CPU performance. Maybe they can also increase the memory bandwidth? Would make things much better (I think).

If such a sustained bump is possible with the heat profile of the Switch, then this would be the moment to do it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good point! I guess DOOM and MK11 use the original 1GHz, right? A bump for games that need could be a life saver for Switch ports like this that need the extra CPU performance. Maybe they can also increase the memory bandwidth? Would make things much better (I think).

If such a sustained bump is possible with the heat profile of the Switch, then this would be the moment to do it.
according to modders, the increased cpu speed doesn't hurt the battery too much. I think they said it took BotW from 2.5 hours to 1.5-2 hours and it didn't get too hot.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
according to modders, the increased cpu speed doesn't hurt the battery too much. I think they said it took BotW from 2.5 hours to 1.5-2 hours and it didn't get too hot.
Interesting. Battery is not my main concern: even playing 2 hours of Witcher before needing to charge is great. But it's good that it doesn't get too hot when doing that, since a broken Switch is not something I'm willing to risk for this port.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
Was just about to post that, with this:

10 minutes before he did:

If this rumor is true then they've lost control, but this whole story (6 months of rumors and getting people excited) is actually excellent marketing ;)

However if it has to be denied or is streaming or a Scramble (or a bad port!) this will be a massive let-down for a lot of people now. But it starts to become difficult to keep my expectations in check with this, with all these leaks around.

Last edited:

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

If this rumor is true then they've lost control, but this whole story (6 months of rumors and getting people excited) is actually excellent marketing ;)

However if it's streaming or a Scramble this will be a massive let-down for a lot of people now.

It had nothing to do with streaming.
The first leak we had was a retailer listing, which would not have ever happened if it was streaming. There's no spin off either. Its going to be The Witcher III GOTY/Complete Edition or nothing

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

IIRC the TX1 has a software solution that makes up for the poor memory bandwidth that DF doesn't ever seem to address. I remember some posters here have talked about it quite a lot.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Battery is not my main concern: even playing 2 hours of Witcher before needing to charge is great. But it's good that it doesn't get too hot when doing that, since a broken Switch is not something I'm willing to risk for this port.
prior to launch (or even reveal), the foxconn leak had a stress test were the switch was clocked to 1.78GHz/921MHz and running for 8 days. I'm certain heat wouldn't kill the thing

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can't get people being okay with possibility of a game as detailed as this one running at 400p. That would kill all its visual identity. I'm not saying a downgrade isn't bearable, but this game running at PS Vita resolution and not being able of recognize anything because of the blurriness is way far from okay.
Most Switch owners are buying games on that platform for the portability. If the gameplay and functionality is there, then the sacrifices are acceptable. 480p on a 6" screen doesn't look too bad. Obviously it will look like dogshit when docked.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
What has been clear since the lunch of the Switch is that battery life is not a discussion at all for that system.
My guess is that it's for 3 reasons:
  • It's a hybrid so not mobile only
  • It has USB-C
  • Other devices aren't better
So now that the message is clear Nintendo is playing with the frequencies to get the most out of the system. We saw that with the CPU boost mode in Zelda & Mario. And MK11 use GPU boost mode in portable.

Maybe the witcher 3 doesn't run well on the stock switch, but with 1.78Ghz CPU & 921Mhz GPU it's ok.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Ah, The Era Switch Cycle:

- "Impossible" port gets rumoured
- Heated specs debate breaks out and port gets dismissed
- Rumors continue
- Debate goes to how far graphics would need to be sacrificed Vs Team Streaming
- Game releases and is (usually) looking a lot better than people imagined
- Users debate and blurriness and frame rate come into the debate, game dismissed for not being 1:1 port with hardware more powerful than Switch
- Digital Foundry give the numbers
- Because of the numbers 85% of those who supported the port claiming it to be amazing now suddenly disappointed despite verbally saying it looked great, people against it from the beginning gloat that it's officially not 1:1 to other ports claiming it as a waste of development time
- Another impossible port gets rumored, repeat cycle

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017

However if it has to be denied or is streaming or a Scramble (or a bad port!) this will be a massive let-down for a lot of people now. But it starts to become difficult to keep my expectations in check with this, with all these leaks around.

Who are those guys? Honest question!

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

- Rumors continue
- Users debate and blurriness and frame rate come into the debate, game dismissed for not being 1:1 port with hardware more powerful than Switch
- Because of the numbers 85% of those who supported the port claiming it to be amazing now suddenly disappointed despite verbally saying it looked great, people against it from the beginning gloat that it's officially not 1:1 to other ports claiming it as a waste of development time

Add to the end:
- previous impossible port gets cited as reason new impossible port is possible
- people against new impossible port argue why the previous impossible port doesn't count.

Dec 23, 2017

- Rumors continue
Yep. It's a cycle that will always be a part of Nintendo gaming in some form.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain

- Rumors continue

This is just pathetic. The worst are the people going after the people happy about the port and criticizing them for accepting playing the game in those conditions... Who the hell are they to tell us how we should enjoy playing the game ? If we value more playing it on the Go than 1080p, why the hell do you care ?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
That's not at all common though, it happens in specific areas. I've seen people act like it's the average.

Also Torna looks better overall, even in Gormott.
Yup, Torna looks really good. XBC2 OG was a bit unoptimised (it had a rather small team working on it, as well, so that was the unfortunate result). Still a top 4 game on the Switch for me, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.