• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
99% it's streaming-only if true, even last-gen open worlds like Saints Row 3 or Assassin's Creed 3 (not the most impressive graphical showcases even at their release) run a bit poorly on the console.

AC 3 runs okayish in the most parts, better than the Wii U version with double the resolution. And Witcher 3 wouldn't run at 1080p like the games you mentioned. Also i guess both games you mention were rather cheap ports. Witcher 3 is running on the GPD Win, so i guess it wouldn't be impossible to make a playable and acceptable looking version for Switch, if they have a good porting Studio and some help from Nintendo. Not saying i believe this "News", but it isn't that impossible. Also Switch can get clocked a bit higher now, Nintendo has additional settings for clockspeeds, which could give the Switch enough boost to make something like this a bit more reasonable.

It would be much more lowres and framerate would be probably still be a bit choppy, but that didn't hinder people to play the game on Xbox 1 and PS4 at launch. Not everyone can't play games that don't run at stable 30fps, i sometimes wonder how people could live with PS360 games (or some PS4 games too, like Witcher 3)

I mean, W3 runs and looks surprisingly good on my shitty laptop. is Switch really THAT underpowered?

It's a handheld, not a laptop. For that it isn't really underpowered (at least when it launched), but it has to fight and needs work and a good team to make bigger games run and look well enough. And not every game makes sense on Switch.

I love my Switch but It wouldn't be able to run it at all, the biggest limitation are CPU and RAM, which in an open world like the Witcher 3 are heavily used. And even if somehow they would manage to make it happen it would run so poorly in frame rate, resolution, loading times and texture quality that it would make no sense to play such a masterpiece in that version instead of PC

In comparison to PC it didn't make sense to play it on PS4 and Xbox One either, both had frameratedrops to the low 20ies, people still played and had fun with the game. If they manage to port it in an acceptable way, why not? People play it on the GPD Win 2 an Nintendo has new Boostmodes for Switch to give it a bit more power. But first the rumours would have to be true.

if Ark is anything to go by, then Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 will be something else on the Switch.

Ark is a bad port where the Devteam wanted to improve it but the Publisher didn't answer their desperate calls. A cashgrab.

Oct 25, 2017
If Witcher 3 comes natively on switch 1, and it looks atleast decent (not Ark levels) then I will never speak bad about switch ports ever again.

If Witcher 3 is possible and looks ok, then technically anything should be possible on that system.

And those screenshots of Witcher 3 running with literally no detail is not decent.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Why are people using Ark as a barometer for anything? You wouldn't use, say, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to suggest that Forza Horizon 4 could come to Switch so you shouldn't use Ark to suggest that Witcher 3 can't come to Switch.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You:

Me, an intellectual:
giphy.gif
No bathtub geralt on switch, they need to save space.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I'll gladly take a downgrade to have it with me wherever I go. Sign me up even though this probably another fake.

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people using Ark as a barometer for anything? You wouldn't use, say, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe to suggest that Forza Horizon 4 could come to Switch so you shouldn't use Ark to suggest that Witcher 3 can't come to Switch.

Ark is literally garbage pressed onto a disc. I wouldn't use it as a barometer for literally anything.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
And you wouldn't be alone

Oh I'm very sure the game would be successful if it released like that. Do we know what Iron Galaxy has been working on, recently? They did a great job on Switch so far, but haven't released anything since Diablo III. They previously made some bold statements regarding Monster Hunter World on Switch, so I doubt that they would shy away from porting a big game like Witcher 3 to the system.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The previous decades of 3D games must have been hard on you, mate. Hell, Witcher 3 on consoles must also have been hard on you when it released.
I was a child then. Once you realise how bad it really was in some games there is no going back.
I'm not a diehard 30fps hater. Although 60 will always be better for obvious reasons.
Its framerate instability that I can't stand.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'd take 720p docked, 540p handheld at 25-30fps with low-med settings in a heartbeat.

I reckon that they might also consider sectioning off areas that weren't previously sectioned off. Not sure whether it would work necessarily but places like Novigrad or the Bloody Baron's town could potentially be put into their own instance.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would absolutely be on this Day One, but I'm highly skeptical. I don't think either the French or Chinese rumours are anywhere near reputable, and it just don't seem possible on the Switch hardware. Also, this would be an incredibly high profile release, so it's not like they could push out something sub-par like Saints Row or ACIII. It would have to give a satisfying gameplay experience, at least in handheld mode.

Bonus: if Witcher 3 can be ported I don't see any reason for Cyberpunk to skip Switch.

Oh please. You know that isn't possible. This is just a low key "lazy devs" post.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I reckon that they might also consider sectioning off areas that weren't previously sectioned off. Not sure whether it would work necessarily but places like Novigrad or the Bloody Baron's town could potentially be put into their own instance.

This kind of downgrade, if not too present, would be perfectly acceptable for me. It doesn't bother me that much in Skyrim.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
witcher-1-740x444.png

I could probably live with a game that looks like this. I imagine they could even get sharper textures if they optimize the shit out of it.

If, by some miracle, they got it running on Switch, it would probably look more like the Witcher 2 does on 360 than this.

Burning_City.jpg

Someone mentioned them instancing areas instead of a persistent open world. I could see that happening as well.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
And it was a massive blemish on an otherwise remarkable game in Bloodbourne.
Bad framepacing is a completely separate issue that should never be a problem in any game.
Its literally a programing error.
I agree but you wouldn't call Bloodborne "awful" would you ?

My point is, obviously a steady framerate is always better but in those games, some dips are not a dealbreaker.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Let's wait to see if Witcher 3 really is on Switch before talking about Cyberpunk.
That being said, if Witcher indeed runs on the current version of the Switch, it will be a major milestone in the life of the machine and will certainly help bringing other games to the system. Let's hope for the best.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Damn.. can't even joke about Ark here.. sorry if people got offended.. lol

Witcher 3 ported to the Switch, will not be the game many of you dream about.. The Switch is a great portable console, but it is not a wonder machine that can run every game you want to.. and devs don't magically downport a game to suit the Switch architecture..

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's true just to see how bad it is lol. Even Doom and Wolf2, both touted as looks good on Switch, are both blurry and framerate mess

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
The FPS talk must have started when console manufacturers started using FPS for marketing and people picked up that talk for every genre (not just fighters / shooters where it made most sense).

Good point about the N64 OoT, which is still perfectly playable.

I have low tolerance for massive stutters. But otherwise it's only important that downgrades don't impair gameplay and immersion.

Last edited:

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Witcher 3 ported to the Switch, will not be the game many of you dream about.. The Switch is a great portable console, but it is not a wonder machine that can run every game you want to.. and devs don't magically downport a game to suit the Switch architecture..

But the Witcher 3 is far too high profile for an ARK-style port. It will need to be Doom/Wolfenstein quality minimum for it actually to be released.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I remember that Hobbes, in a previous Witcher 3 thread, said that we would be surprised by what's coming to the system. No way I'm @-ing the poor guy, but in case you pass here Hobbes, don't hesitate to drop some knowledge if you can.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

I agree. I love the Switch but it doesn't need a port of every game.
Especially demanding games that would require far too many compromises to even run.

Its like fitting a square peg in a round hole. You could probably get it in there with enough force but you'd probably end up mangling the peg.

I think some games just aren't a great fit for the Switch and the Witcher 3 is one of them.
Maybe if this rumoured 'Super Switch' comes out it will be a different story. But even then they would still have to support the OG Switch.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like this thread already happened ten times with people saying that "it's too many compromises" for third party games that then released and performed well.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This port would be so fascinating on a technical level. Really hope this happens just so I can see how they do it

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Why was it not playing that great on base PS4? Was it CPU bound? If we get a switch pro that is as powerful as xbone, but a significantly better CPU, maybe we'll get a better framerate? That's a big if

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like this thread already happened ten times with people saying that "it's too many compromises" for third party games that then released and performed well.

And most of them featured either too many compromises or ran on a toaster to begin with.
The Witcher 3 is highly possible. But it'll be at a low resolution and with big visual hits. It was already the case with Wolfenstein 2 which wasnt what I would call a port without heavy sacrifices.

akasha

Jan 14, 2019
Germany
I think some games just aren't a great fit for the Switch and the Witcher 3 is one of them.

I don't touch any game above 50h on any system but the Switch right now, and I'm certainly not alone with that. Such long RPGs are perfect fits for the Switch.

In case this is true and they can pull it off decently, wouldn't you get it? Wouldn't it be a great addition to the library?

Status
Not open for further replies.