• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at LowSpecGamer's video of The Witcher 3, I think it should be possible for the game to run on the Switch. Lighting and shadows need to be tweaked, lots of physics turned off, but I think it could work, and look way better than Ark, lol. Not looking forward to the massive download required though. Interface needs a major overhaul.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Did the slow down on console W3 come from weak console CPUs? They even cut the NPCs down to make it work. Not sure how the even weaker Switch could manage.

For what it's worth the Switch CPU is stronger than the other consoles' CPUs core for core. Of course it has fewer cores so overall it's weaker but depending on how much singlethreading this game does it might not be that much of a downgrade from the Jaguars.

Ark, probably. It runs and looks way worse than TW3 on PS4 and XB1 and yet managed an ugly, but apparently fairly well selling Switch port.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Looking at LowSpecGamer's video of The Witcher 3, I think it should be possible for the game to run on the Switch. Lighting and shadows need to be tweaked, lots of physics turned off, but I think it could work, and look way better than Ark, lol. Not looking forward to the massive download required though.
The issue is probably more the CPU: the LowSpecGamer video I watched still uses an i7, so we don't have a reference for that.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
DQXI is 30 fps on PS4 and we have footage of the Switch version looking quite good. It's a semi-open world game but has way less going on in terms of logic than TW3.

We only have cutscenes, no gameplay not to mention game was rebuilt for Switch with newest version of UE4 while Witcher 3 is on CDProject own engine. How towns will look will be pretty telling how big diffrence there really is as they were the biggest performance hogs in DQXI.

Also put me in Geralt for Smash as I already said some time ago Japan is in love with the Witcher - he is in Soul Calibur and Monster Hunter.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
No way Jose.

Witcher 3 already struggled on consoles at points. Unless we get an Ark situation where the game is butchered to hilariousness to run well, I can't see it happening.

Can the game run on the GPD Win 2 in any degree of decent settings?

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
For what it's worth the Switch CPU is stronger than the other consoles' CPUs core for core. Of course it has fewer cores so overall it's weaker but depending on how much singlethreading this game does it might not be that much of a downgrade from the Jaguars.

Ark, probably. It runs and looks way worse than TW3 on PS4 and XB1 and yet managed an ugly, but apparently fairly well selling Switch port.
Do you have a source for it selling well? Hadn't heard/read that yet.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt its happening but really, if it does I would be more concerned about whether its a good port. I hope it does though so when an upgrade Switch releases the game will see some good boosts.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
isn't the switch just marginally stronger than a Playstation 3? How would this be possible?

Its not marginal. Its pretty big when you consider the memory difference. But it would be a significant effort to comb through the game again and make sure it all can get to an expected quality at lower settings. They'd be testing again, etc. It would have to be worth it, for sure. It would have to make more money than whatever other work they could be getting done.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

I thought the Switch's CPU was only stronger at its base clock (2ghz) and actually weaker at the 1ghz it's clocked at in the system?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We only have cutscenes, no gameplay not to mention game was rebuilt for Switch with newest version of UE4 while Witcher 3 is on CDProject own engine. How towns will look will be pretty telling how big diffrence there really is as they were the biggest hogs in DQXI.

Also put me in Geralt for Smash as I already said some time ago Japan is in love with the Witcher - he is in Soul Calibur and Monster Hunter.

The cutscenes are rendered in-engine so it's not like they're bullshots. Actual gameplay may look a bit worse but we can already see the sacrifices they had to make when comparing the cutscenes to the PS4 version and they aren't very large.

No one is saying CDPR can't rework TW3 or the Red engine for Switch. If there is indeed a Smash tie in going on Nintendo might even be helping fund this port.

Do you have a source for it selling well? Hadn't heard/read that yet.

The only source was the eshop best selling charts. It had been hovering around #5 or 6 even 2-3 weeks after it launched.

Considering how it looks that was a pretty surprising placement for it.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
The page doesn't look like the screenshot on my end. Did I do something wrong, was it changed or are those two different ones?
capture-20181228-221930-001.png

My first reaction was, how can there be "So many mistakes" on a basically blank page?
Yours is a mobile image & the same I saw when browsing on Firefox. I used Chrome and got the page seen in the image.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It's possible this is just a mislabel and it's really talking about Gwent, didn't the Walmart Canada leak include Forza Horizon 5 or something? Sometimes things like that get lost in translation or just misunderstood.

That being said, 100% onboard if this is true.

And since we're on the topic of French retailers, Amazon France relisted Scalebound and Fable Legends recently and while I know both of those games are fully dead, I'm 100% here for it. The world would be a better place if all of the French retailer leaks turned out to be true.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who loves seeing Switch ports, I don't think this is possible nor do I think it's financially sensible for CDPR to release the Witcher 3 on the Switch.

It'd be weird as hell if this is true, and I'd gladly eat crow

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Not gonna happen. No way The Witcher 3 runs with 4 gigs of RAM

I don't think witcher 3 is coming to the switch and I think it would need a really bad downgrade to run on the switch but this point of you is factually wrong. I played the game on a PC with 4gb ram and it ran really good...so ram amount would be the smallest problem.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
This would have to be heavily pared back in a way that doesn't seem like it would really fit CP Projekt's MO. I can't believe this off of just some retailer listing

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
No way this happens. If it does, clearly the porters are actual magicians and should focus their efforts on curing cancer.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I played the game on a PC with 4gb ram and it ran really good...so ram amount would be the smallest problem.

When the game launched it was playable on 4gb of RAM till 1.07 or so.

Ever since many patches and updates including both expacs that's no longer the case and 4GB ram causes stuttering and random freezes in places like Novigrad.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Gwent or Geralt in Smash, sure.

Witcher 3 running on the Switch?! Lol it isn't possible.

But I will tell you something. If it ends up being true (lol it isn't) than officially the Switch can run every single game this gen.

Oct 26, 2017
And CDPR would be doing this or some other studio like Panic Button? Because I can see CDPR doing nothing else but work on Cyberpunk.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Gwent or Geralt in Smash, sure.

Witcher 3 running on the Switch?! Lol it isn't possible.

But I will tell you something. If it ends up being true (lol it isn't) than officially the Switch can run every single game this gen.

I don't get this "it isn't possible". We've already seen a much more demanding current gen game in Ark actually running on a Switch, albeit looking terrible. Surely that should be proof that almost any current gen game is possible, although whether or not it's feasible while still looking and running well enough for the developers/publishers to be happy is another story.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This could be done if you squeeze every ounce of power out of the Switch, use a low-medium preset, reduce the draw distance and come up with efficient rendering techniques, but I'm not sure.

Yes, Doom is perfectly playable on the Switch, but that game is the total opposite of TW3 - it's linear and obviously not a sprawling open world.

The closest game to TW3 on the Switch would be Zelda, and even that has way simpler visuals and an art style that lets it get away with certain concessions. And Zelda has nothing on the level of Novigrad...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this "it isn't possible". We've already seen a much more demanding current gen game in Ark actually running on a Switch, albeit looking terrible. Surely that should be proof that almost any current gen game is possible, although whether or not it's feasible while still looking and running well enough for the developers/publishers to be happy is another story.
Why the hell would you use Ark of all games as an example lol. I've seen prettier Gamecube games.
This shit looks horrid.
ARK-Switch-Shot-(2).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.