• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
bc8af53a8551af09cd2ca8c756a2b8d06ee123b8.gifv

Grain of salt. Source is leaker DanielRPK, who has a spotty track record but is usually pretty on point with promotional and trailer stuff. I think the rumor is 6:30 PST.

Other things:
•The Shang Chi twitter account recently updated with new logo and description
•Tomorrow's Simu Liu's birthday
•And most importantly of all, this happened like 20 minutes ago:

image.png

587315a52817098853ee48f8d864286eace95f9a.gifv

Last edited:

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I know nothing about the character or anything surrounding it, but the prospect of a martial arts MCU movie with Simu Liu has me quite excited.

OP
OP
MadLaughter

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about the character or anything surrounding it, but the prospect of a martial arts MCU movie with Simu Liu has me quite excited.

I like Simu Liu a lot, I very much hope the rumors about the premise are true and that it revolves around

A tournament

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Covid has zapped my retention of what films are being made or what state they're in, so I'm finding new trailers and what not to be a pleasant surprise lately.

Excited for whenever this drops!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Interested to see what this looks like.

This will legit be the first fully new MCU thing since Captain Marvel. Everything else has been a team-up or a sequel, even the Disney+ stuff.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Back in the day I would never have actually considered Shang-Chi get his own movie.

he was just a character that we didn't understand too was suddenly getting his own Overpower card.

And then Slott brought him back to created the way of Spider.

Now he's getting his own movie.

What a time to be alive.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day I would never have actually considered Shang-Chi get his own

he was just a character that we didn't understand too was suddenly getting his own Overpower card.

And then Slott brought him back to created the way of Spider.

Now he's getting his own movie.

What a time to be alive.

Same. I used to read my cousin's copies of Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, and thought Shang-Chi was one of the coolest Marvel characters. Blows my mind that I'm going to get to watch a goddamn Shang-Chi movie in a few months.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Same. I used to read my cousin's copies of Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, and thought Shang-Chi was one of the coolest Marvel characters. Blows my mind that I'm going to get to watch a goddamn Shang-Chi movie in a few months.
My friend, consider this shang-chi is about to get a legitimate movie he's going to be the master of kung fu and he is going to get the Mandarin as his villain, and if the leaks all right, Fang Fang Foom

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
My friend, consider this shang-chi is about to get a legitimate movie he's going to be the master of kung fu and he is going to get the Mandarin as his villain, and if the leaks all right, Fang Fang Foom

Of all the upcoming MCU content in the next year, Shang-Chi is by far my most anticipated. It helps that Simu Liu is so excited about it, too.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
It was the same with Ant-man for me. I didn't know anything about it and now it's one of my favorite MCU movie and character. Really hyped for Shang-Chi.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, really? Damn, as an Iron Man fan I'm a bit jealous that two of his big adversaries are being used in a different movie. As a martial arts and Marvel fan, I'm insanely hyped! Hope they do FFF justice if he's indeed showing up.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Dad was a terrorist in charge of a organization that is best summed up as Marvel's version of the League of Assassins with clans that specialize in various weapons and techniques. Shang Chi grew up in the terrorist lifestyle before realizing he wasn't about that life before deciding to use what he'd learn to become the master of Kung Fu and defeat his father and the criminal empire that stretched back to Imperial China, if not longer.

His dad died, the organization kinda went ehh and has popped up here and there and Shang Chi floated around a bit until he started to get more boosts in the mid-2000s because Brian Bendis. And in spite of how the movie may set it up, he's not related to the Mandarin in the comics but to another racist charicature named Fu Man Chu who was so racist, Marvel just ignored him instead of giving him a rebrand like they did the Mandarin.

His dad didn't become an actual person until this past decade.

And even though his tagline is "Master of Kung Fu", Shang Chi does more than that and is actually the best melee fighter in Marvel (behind Gamora) and could probably pull off all of Iron Fist's DBZ chi shit if he didn't think it made things too easy, lol.

He also taught Spider-Man martial arts with Petey lost his Spider-Sense and didn't listen to Piccolo.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I really really really hope Shang Chi has his powers from Hickman's Avengers run because that would be awesome.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Dad was a terrorist in charge of a organization that is best summed up as Marvel's version of the League of Assassins with clans that specialize in various weapons and techniques. Shang Chi grew up in the terrorist lifestyle before realizing he wasn't about that life before deciding to use what he'd learn to become the master of Kung Fu and defeat his father and the criminal empire that stretched back to Imperial China, if not longer.

His dad died, the organization kinda went ehh and has popped up here and there and Shang Chi floated around a bit until he started to get more boosts in the mid-2000s because Brian Bendis. And in spite of how the movie may set it up, he's not related to the Mandarin in the comics but to another racist charicature named Fu Man Chu who was so racist, Marvel just ignored him instead of giving him a rebrand like they did the Mandarin.

And even though his tagline is "Master of Kung Fu", Shang Chi does more than that and is actually the best melee fighter in Marvel (behind Gamora) and could probably pull off all of Iron Fist's DBZ chi shit if he didn't think it made things too easy, lol.

He also taught Spider-Man martial arts with Petey lost his Spider-Sense and didn't listen to Piccolo.

Hey thanks for that really great explainer. Sounds very cool and get's my hype going.

I like Simu Liu a lot, I very much hope the rumors about the premise are true and that it revolves around

A tournament

giphy.gif

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I meant this one but from reading up it seems he hasn't used it since
latest
Admittedly, I forgot about that. Because you know, he punched a giant dragon in the face and it stuck in my mind.

If I recall though, he got that through an outside amp and wasn't something he could throw up gang signs and Shadow Clone Jutsu for.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Every time Marvel makes a movie from a character I don't know anything about I get very excited.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Please be good.

I have the highest expectations for this movie. This was my wildest dream when the MCU began and I still can't believe it's actually happening.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA

The real reason why Marvel stopped using Fu Manchu was less about the stereotyping and more about the fact that their license for the Fu Manchu novels expired. Shang-Chi was always made as a tie-in to those books and the characters from that franchise played a big part in the initial run.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The real reason why Marvel stopped using Fu Manchu was less about the stereotyping and more about the fact that their license for the Fu Manchu novels expired. Shang-Chi was always made as a tie-in to those books and the characters from that franchise played a big part in the initial run.
It's less about stopping use of him and more about why they didn't do slight retcons to modernize him sooner than 2010 like they did Mandarin. Him being Super Saiyan stereotypical probably played a part in that.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
It's less about stopping use of him and more about why they didn't do slight retcons to modernize him sooner than 2010 like they did Mandarin. Him being Super Saiyan stereotypical probably played a part in that.
They didn't modernize him sooner because Shang Chi didn't really show up in comics for a long time outside of a cameo or guest appearance here and there. Marvel couldn't even publish the original series as a tradeback because of the licensing issue and he was basically forgotten as a character even though the original run was pretty successful and lasted 100+ issues. Plus being representative of Asian males wasnt really a thing back then.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Whoever wrote Shang Chi's Wikipedia page REALLY loves the character lol. There was a notice that the summary was "too long and excessively detailed" and they weren't kidding. Its so detailed about everything in the characters history I actually have no idea about the basics of the character lol

May 24, 2019
I didn't know the Short Term 12 director was making this. I wonder if Cap Marvel will get a cameo just so they can work together again.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Im honestly so excited!!! I cant even remember the last good martial arts movie we got lol.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This dude was dropping aliens and robot war machines left and right during Hickman's Avengers run, hopefully we see him doing the same a few years down the road in whatever sequel to IW/Endgame Marvel cooks up

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I personally hope this takes place during the Blip and not after it. Would be interesting to see a Blip world even if they don't focus on it too much.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had no clue until two weeks ago that Simu Liu was in it, let alone the starring role. Loved him in Kim's Convenience. Even though I know he had a brief cameo in Domino's solo series, I know absolutely nothing about Shang-Chi, and that's somewhat refreshing. Looking forward to this!

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'm very excited this is happening. I had never heard of him before they announced the film so anticipation has been growing since then.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
This is kind of the one Marvel movie that people should expect to be good. Just... do a Bruce Lee movie. It's Bruce Lee. People love Bruce Lee.
They'll need to Marvel it up somehow, for the inevitable CGI fest of an ending, but other than that, do a Bruce Lee movie, add some solid "that's impossible but let's ignore it" action like in the Winter Soldier and the like, stay away from all the "Asians are so mystical and weird" stuff.

Should work.