• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this will be free to owners of the regular version. Would be pretty cool.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. Steam streaming is already excellent - it was my best 'cloud' experience running Steam off a amazon machine and using a VPC to trick it to think it was in my local network.

I just wonder if it's going to be a software service - an all you can eat catalog - or if they'll simply spin up a remote machine and let you access your existing/purchased Steam catalog. For the latter I'm not sure why they'd really need to change any terms with publishers/developers.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would not surprise me - and it'd also instantly kill Stadia considering Steam has a lot more games than the couple Stadia games that exist

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
I would hope so... given steam link and in home streaming. Only seems logical they would have been for a while now...

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty safe to say they would do this, have to create a safety net for themselves in case this style of gaming is a success.

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for this Cloud nonsense to fall flat on its face.

I love comments like these.

When there's new tech and publishers/devs want to experiment and give more choices to access games, you have people calling every new *thing*nonsense and they wish for failures.

We had the same shit with Digital games, subscription models and now Cloud.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Well we know from google stadia this cant possibly work due to data caps and latency

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really think these 'pure' cloud services are a good idea for consumers or gaming in general.
But an additional service that allows me to play the games i already own: On my local device; streamed from my local device to another device (free); streamed from the cloud entirely (additional subscription) - i don't see how that's a bad thing. That's what xCloud is going to be, right? And that's kindasorta how i see Sony going with PSNow ... eventually.

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
User Warned: Trolling / Platform Warring
See you in 5 years when it's half baked and then abandoned within 6 months.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have bad news for you. This isn't a fad, it's just that cloud/streaming didn't quite catch up in gaming yet. It's an enormous reality in other applications already, and gaming will get there. Multiple developed countries already have good enough connections in most places that could handle a solid gaming service that is located elsewhere with only minor lag, and with 5G and further developments it'll only improve. For countless consumers the thought of not having to own a hardware to play the latest games is gonna be great. The thought of not having to plug in a device into the TV but being able to just play it on your phone, tablet, laptop no matter where you are: it's the inevitable future of gaming. Movies are there already and so is music. Non-gaming software has all kinds of scenarios like that, too. Games will arrive too.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they will go with Nvidia Tesla P40 and merge with Geforce Now, or with a traditional hosting, or with the equivalent of Nvidia Tesla at AMD (I dunno what they have for GPU virtualization). And regarding the game catalog, it's also an xCloud competitor.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
If their recent UI overhaul is anything to go by, I wouldn't expect this to come out fully-formed.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018

It just won't lol.

Premium choice will still be hardware for a long time but dude - it will be the most popular way to play games in the next 5-10 years. I wish that wasn't the case personally - but you can't deny the facts.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I binned off PC gaming near to two years ago. Having my Steam catalogue spring back into life with streaming would be amazing. I definitely hope this doesn't fall on its face and will throw money at it.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
If the Steam Cloud service ends up with a situation where Steam is a service where:

- You can buy the game and have it installed locally anywhere on any number of machines, to be played as usual at your discretion
- You can stream any game you have installed somewhere to any smart device running Android or iOS, from whatever PC it's installed on, for free
- You can stream any game you bought on the Steam store, regardless of whether you have it installed or own hardware that can run it, to any smart device, for a monthly/yearly fee

-on top of all the other features provided to users and developers... then I don't quite see how any single other service could compete in terms of services provided. If the price is reasonable, even I could see myself using it, because I already have a great amount of games in my library that I often can't properly enjoy because I'm now left with just my tablet PC that can only run old/indie games.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
I'd personally use this service if they offer a free tier like Stadia, or at least a reasonable monthly package.

Oct 26, 2017
10 years ago: "Can't wait for digital gaming to die, it will hurt the industry"
Now: "Can't wait for Cloud gaming to die, it will hurt the industry".

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
If this means I can stream/play any of my Steam games on my phone.. yes please, yes yes.

Difference between this and Stadia is that my Steam library has hundreds of games, on Stadia I have 0.

I am not sure how much I would pay for this feature. If this was free, I would use it. 10e per month? Maybe.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting this to have a subscription fee but with no games included - you'll also have to buy the games. But when you buy a game, you'll also own it for local PC play.

Because my next apartment is going to have a 100Mbit upload, I'll probably just keep remote playing my own PC so this won't be useful for me.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Because you'll soon have Walmart, Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony, Google, Netflix, Valve, EA - and dozens more offering these services and sooner or later - games will become one giant cart blanche of subscriptions.
I think this would be more like buying the games on Steam and having the option to stream them instead. Maybe free at 1080p 60 and everything above on a subscription.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
If this means I can stream/play any of my Steam games on my phone.. yes please, yes yes.

Difference between this and Stadia is that my Steam library has hundreds of games, on Stadia I have 0.

I am not sure how much I would pay for this feature. If this was free, I would use it. 10e per month? Not so sure.

You already can do that if you have good internet connection at home. They launched Steam Remote Play Anywhere earlier this year.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
If their recent UI overhaul is anything to go by, I wouldn't expect this to come out fully-formed.
Well... unlike their UI overhaul, they at least have a fully functional streaming backbone already. All they have to do is set up a city-sized supercomputer/server farm somewhere to be able to handle their entire userbase jumping in to try the service when it launches.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
If this has good hardware, this will kill Stadia. Steam having this option can be a game changer.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
Imagine if your current Steam library worked day 1 with no extra money, it was just a new feature of the Steam platform.

This would be a game changing feature.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If true, they're gonna need a new controller. The Steam controller's track pad is not suited to the added input latency of streaming, especially on a TV, imo. I think they should return to a dual stick design instead.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I would bet this is more of a competition to XCloud than Stadia, as Steam already provides direct streaming from your own "console", and this would be just an additional service to play games you cannot run natively.

I had already expected this after the "Remote Play Together" update, as I could not see any extra feature growth in that area that didnt go into this (streaming from Steam servers).

I wonder what infrastructure they will use. What are your bets: Azure, AWS or GCP?
Steam has its own server infrastructure.
If true, they're gonna need a new controller. The Steam controller's track pad is not suited to the added input latency of streaming, especially on a TV, imo. I think they should return to a dual stick design instead.
There have been rumors of a new revision of the Steam Controller for a while now.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this has good hardware, this will kill Stadia. Steam having this option can be a game changer.
Will be interesting but there's no way valve has the same server foot print as google or the money google has to build it out

plus GeForce now already has steam so not sure I see the point

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hope it's true I have a decent steam library.

Will be interesting but there's no way valve has the same server foot print as google or the money google has to build it out

They'll use whatever it's best for the service, meaning Azure/AWS/GC.

Just like Sony is going to do with PS Now.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

My guess is that the idea here is that this would allow you to own the games and be able to play them without cloud support once you have a better pc. You can stream if your computer is not powerful enough.