• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
King Zell (RIP wherever he is now, probably relaxing away from the hassle of leaks and Nintendo watching over) was the original one that called a BOTW 2 for 2020 release

It makes sense based on this looks to be the Majora's Mask of BOTW

Last edited:

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there's not really anything stopping nintendo from incorporating elements of past 3D zelda games into an open world game.
Problems is that my main demand would be: Item back to dungeons; it's fine to not spoil the player and have areas where you need specific items/conditions to access;
Seems simple but requires restructuring. Also it's the main reason why exploring in old Zelda games felt so rewarding and also the main reason I felt in love with the series.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Problems is that my main demand would be: Item back to dungeons; it's fine to not spoil the player and have areas where you need specific items/conditions to access;
Seems simple but requires restructuring. Also it's the main reason why exploring in old Zelda games felt so rewarding.
Ugh, can we not return Dungeon McGuffins? We had endless titles featuring this mechanic, and it overstayed it's welcome. The further we move away from "there's an item here that will weaken the boss and also conveniently allow you to get to the next dungeon" the better. The Shiekah Slate is a perfect launching point for items in current Zeldas. Give us the toolkit at the start again, and design the whole experience around it.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, can we not return Dungeon McGuffins? We had endless titles featuring this mechanic, and it overstayed it's welcome. The further we move away from "there's an item here that will weaken the boss and also conveniently allow you to get to the next dungeon" the better. The Shiekah Slate is a perfect launching point for items in current Zeldas. Give us the toolkit at the start again, and design the whole experience around it.
I agree with you about using item used to kill the boss. Other than that having all item from start is the opposite from what made me love the series core gameplay. The surprise of getting a new item and using it to further exploration is the best part of old formula and my main grip with BOTW. Game overworld feels more like Gta and Skyrim than with Zelda. And that's why I also understand it's appeal.
In the old games when you leave a dungeon you feel stronger and the way you interact with the world changes. There's this surprise factor of what comes next.

Last edited:

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
In 3.5 years (this is development time for BotW 2)
I am not entirely sure here but i thought that when full game released in March 2017, different team was making DLC and Botw2 was already in development. So it seems like 3.8 years or more because we really don't know when they finished development because of Switch's release.

Last edited:

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this game re-use the map from the first game? Can't remember and hopefully it's different enough.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Makes sense. They released a 2D zelda (awakening) this year and we dont know any big hitter yet for 2020 beyond animal crossing.

Perhaps 2021 is an original 2D zelda too (3D style though like awakening)

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Doesn't this game re-use the map from the first game? Can't remember and hopefully it's different enough.
They said it will be "same Hyrule". Which does not mean the same really, and if so is will be different enough.

"We want to borrow the power of more people to deliver new experiences that exceed the previous work," said Satoshi Takizawa, art director for BotW 2. "This time, we decided to recruit additional terrain designers."

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
So, now that they hit a big one, I guess it's time to milk it dry while leaving the series' great tendency to change wildly between entries behind and instead just bleed the vague desaturated open air design as dry as they possibly can.
It's just a single sequel, relax.
Damn, some of you..

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'll only care if there are legit (as in, actual) temples in the game. This is the biggest problem with BOTW: too much open world and no, the shrines aren't great. I want a more focused story too, in fact what I want is OOT/TP but modernized though I doubt I'll get it...

Oct 26, 2017
I'll only care if there are legit (as in, actual) temples in the game. This is the biggest problem with BOTW: too much open world and no, the shrines aren't great. I want a more focused story too, in fact what I want is OOT/TP but modernized though I doubt I'll get it...
Well that problem is why everyone loves it :P

Oct 25, 2017

Items don't have to work like keys as they have previously. They don't have to be required to progress, but to aid in more specific situations. Like everything in botw, you could still make it through a dungeon but have to think more creatively.

I like having the core set of items at the start, but the sense of progression really suffers. The champion powers are lame. Only two are active abilities and the only really useful one is revali's gale, and it's way too op.

I want more tools to use. More involving abilities for combat. Not just buffs that don't change gameplay other than making the game easier.

Nov 13, 2017
Oh, and take this as a grain of salt, but a VERY reliable leaker on film/tv twitter hinted this weekend that a movie or tv show based on Zelda is coming.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
How the fuck did dungeons overstay their welcome lol

Breath of the Wild has the divine beast. They just arent good enough. And there are so many shrines that they made way too many filler and all look the same.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
This is actually new info.
Zell said the same thing in january
The news here is that it's November and according to Sabi BOTW2 is still planned for next year.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I've been saying 2020 since the original reveal.

The engine is done, as is the art style.

I imagine they'll be reusing a lot of assets.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
How the fuck did dungeons overstay their welcome lol

Breath of the Wild has the divine beast. They just arent good enough. And there are so many shrines that they made way too many filler and all look the same.
Never said dungeons overstayed their welcome. I said that the whole McGuffin-tied linear progression overstayed it's welcome. Dungeons still have a place in the future of Zelda, so long as it's not "get magical boss killer item that also gets you past the gate for the next dungeon". All dungeons in BOTW-style games going forward need to be able to be taken down at any point in the game, in any order, and be fully optional. Full stop.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel you my friend... Let's cry together

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If we get a new trailer at TGA I might believe it. If we see nothing at TGA, no chance.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Never said dungeons overstayed their welcome. I said that the whole McGuffin-tied linear progression overstayed it's welcome. Dungeons still have a place in the future of Zelda, so long as it's not "get magical boss killer item that also gets you past the gate for the next dungeon". All dungeons in BOTW-style games going forward need to be able to be taken down at any point in the game, in any order, and be fully optional. Full stop.

Nah. The linear progression dungeons with items are much better because they could design challenges around them easier. It's pretty obvious they struggled getting enough good content with the same items. And Nintendo tried to open it up more by having you buy items in ALBW and it still kinda flubbed. Change for the sake of change doesnt make it better

Bring back items and bring back dungeons. Also the optional stuff was terrible because all it did was take health off the Final Boss

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait until Nintendo announces release for after 2020, and shit posters complain about a delay.

I'd love for it to be 2020, but I'm not getting my hopes up for anything until we get an official window.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Nah. The linear progression dungeons with items are much better because they could design challenges around them easier. And Nintendo tried to open it up more by having you buy items in ALBW and it still kinda flubbed. Change for the sake of change doesnt make it better

Bring back items and bring back dungeons. Also the optional stuff was terrible because all it did was take health off the Final Boss
Lol it's not "change for the sake of change". BOTW works so well because it took away that tired, stale mechanic. The series needed the shift.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not entirely sure here but i thought that when full game released in March 2017, different team was making DLC and Botw2 was already in development. So it seems like 3.8 years or more because we really don't know when they finished develpment because of Switch's release.
Yeah it's around that. I don't think we know for sure.

ckareset

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Lol it's not "change for the sake of change". BOTW works so well because it took away that tired, stale mechanic. The series needed the shift.
It worked so well because the sum of the parts were good.

I have a hard time believing the game would have been worse with better dungeons and items and a better story.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
It worked so well because the sum of the parts were good.

I have a hard time believing the game would have been worse with better dungeons and items and a better story.
Better dungeons - agreed
Better or more items - agreed
Better story - agreed

As for linear, McGuffin unlocking through dungeon Big Chests?

when-my-dad-went-into-my-room-telling-me-i-should-take-it-easy-on-the-booze-with-my-friends-17295.gif

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Been thinking for a while that the next switch is spring 2021 and this is just the title to launch with it. Whether it is Switch pro or Swit2h, idk.

Nah they've repeatedly said the expect the Switch to last longer than usual. I'd guess Switch 2 will come out around 2023. Maybe a pro in 2021 but not positioned as a successor, and without any exclusive games.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Better dungeons - agreed
Better or more items - agreed
Better story - agreed

As for linear, McGuffin unlocking through dungeon Big Chests?

when-my-dad-went-into-my-room-telling-me-i-should-take-it-easy-on-the-booze-with-my-friends-17295.gif

I'm with you. I thought it would have been a good idea to have say three more Hyrule Castle-esque dungeons, maybe in place of the labyrinths, where the prize is a permanent ice, fire, and lightning rod (remove them from the overworld in this case). Very useful items to have, but never mandatory. You could have three more mini or half-sized dungeons where the prize is an upgrade to the rods.

Obviously they didn't have time to put in three more big structures like that, which is why we got labyrinths instead, but I like the idea of that concept taking over from the whole "you need to beat this dungeon and get its item in order to gain access to the next area of the overworld" thing.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think this will be done for holiday 2020 ... that's a 3 1/2 year dev cycle for a "Majora's Mask" style sequel, and MM was two years from Ocarina of Time.

If it was an entirely new game from a new engine I would lean more towards a delay, but in this case I think they can make 2020 without much fuss.

I'd expect a 3D Mario from EAD Tokyo next year too. They are overdue for a game.