• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019

"The cancellation is planned to be announced at 9:30 am Los Angeles time on March 11 by the Entertainment Software Association, according to a person familiar with the matter. The ESA, which organizes the show commonly known as E3, wrote in a private memo to partners on Tuesday that it is "exploring options for an online E3 event this summer."

There's still hope for that WB conference.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
luckey.png

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
there is no advantage for a publisher to sign up with this rather than doing their own digital event. I guess it can provide a platform for indies, but they will still lose all the publishers.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be kinda awesome if publishers put out a bunch of demos onto every relevant storefront, but I doubt that'll happen (and I dunno if it'd be worth the datamining risk)

I'm guessing it'll just be a hub for all of the streams though

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Not sure how this could possibly work. They cant put the streams behind a paywall and devs can put demos up of games to reach people at home anyway if they wanted to. They're starting to realise they are now obsolete and not needed anymore.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Why would anyone tag along with the ESA for an online event when they can just hold one themselves? Maybe the smaller developers and publishers will be on board but the big guys have no reason to do so.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
I read it as: ESA is exploring options on how to stay alive and relevant.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Bit of a spicy take, but as much as I have a distaste for things like Stadia or cloud gaming in general, I feel like they could at least harness the technology for something like putting out demos of games for an online E3 event. This way people don't have the files directly on their PCs and can't datamine them.

LMAO

This meme keeps on giving.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everything is all Digital showcases from all publishers.

All playing at the same time. Lol.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
This probably just means all of the conferences become directs and happen at the same time.

Plus some live streams through the week after those. There's no reason not to join in on that for many of the devs/publishers. More eyeballs for the group than going alone.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
At most maybe they can license out 'E3' branding for company's to attach to announcements? Otherwise I dont even know why anyone would do it.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I think the closest this can get is similar to what Keighley did on Steam for the Game Awards, allow people to play the show floor demos on their PC's/consoles for a limited time or something like it.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see how they get big publishers to sign up for this. Why would anyone choose a day to stream announcements that's going to occur alongside a bunch of other announcements rather than picking a day and having it all to themselves?

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a more cursed idea than an ESA Direct?

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't see how they get big publishers to sign up for this. Why would anyone choose a day to stream announcements that's going to occur alongside a bunch of other announcements rather than picking a day and having it all to themselves?
I'm assuming because it would all be in a centralized online location at a period where journalists and gamers are all paying attention? Random announcements can get lost and even Nintendo Directs took years before they were built up to not being lost in the fray by the gaming media

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
For what it's worth I could also see this relating to the whole "E3 Judging Panel", it might end up being something the end consumer doesn't see, just a select few journalists and industry folks. Sorta like the ESA being the point of contact for sending out demo codes and arranging meetings.

That's kinda the only way they can sell it to publishers, so they have a chance of sticking "BEST OF E3 2020!" on their game box

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Why would publishers not just cut the ESA out at that point and do their own stuff?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming because it would all be in a centralized online location at a period where journalists and gamers are all paying attention? Random announcements can get lost and even Nintendo Directs took years before they were built up to not being lost in the fray by the gaming media

Sure, but I think part of the slow build up for Directs was down to people not really knowing what to expect. In the sense of whether Nintendo was going all in with their announcements from now on with this, or was it just some experiment that they were working with. Once it became clear that it was their main way of sharing news it gained traction. So, if Sony came out and said they they were doing a new SoP focused on the PS5, that's really all they need for attention. They don't need to be packed with other publishers. Similarly other big publishers could make it clear that they're going to be showing something that fans have been clamoring for and that'd ramp up hype for it. In other words, all that really needs to be done is for people to know that this is a stream where big announcements are going to be made. Once that's set in stone the attention will follow.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Setting up your own streaming event can be troublesome. If the ESA was running things and decided to partner with YouTube and Twitch, it can make the whole transition a lot smoother.

I know it can be difficult but they don't need ESA for running this when they can just talk with YouTube/Twitch/Mixer as they can offer support for technical and logistic difficulties. Moreover, studios/publisher can decide the timing of their event so everyone should have more space for communicating and raising their impact.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it might benefit some companies to have a big E3 branded week of videos. But tbh, you would think Google or Amazon might just step in and get publishers to have a YouTube or Twitch Game News week or something if anyone wanted to do it. The ESA isn't really needed for this stuff and from my understanding, never had anything to do with any of the E3 press conferences anyway. They just organize the show floor.

Kucan

Nov 4, 2017
Why would publishers not just cut the ESA out at that point and do their own stuff?

Without a singular group to focus on, mainstream media will simply ignore all but the Big 3. However, without people trying to launch news at the same time, there's no need to compete and so, no need to anything more than use Twitter/Youtube as per usual. So it's down to cost vs attention.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Without a singular group to focus on, mainstream media will simply ignore all but the Big 3. However, without people trying to launch news at the same time, there's no need to compete and so, no need to anything more than use Twitter/Youtube as per usual. So it's down to cost vs attention.

So don't run it all at once and then you get the day to yourself? Not that big of an issue.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Steam had demos from E3 last year or something similar right? Do the same thing on various storefronts. Have direct style presentations, release demos on timers and really the only thing you don't have is the floor itself.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone remember when sony recreated their E3 booth in playstation home ? Each publisher should make an E3 game where you walk round and play the games

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Steam had demos from E3 last year or something similar right? Do the same thing on various storefronts. Have direct style presentations, release demos on timers and really the only thing you don't have is the floor itself.

That was for the Game Awards, but yeah they could do something similar.

Guymelef

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
"Online E3" Do they want companies money in form of some kind of tax or what?
Because everybody can do his own stream.

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, but I think part of the slow build up for Directs was down to people not really knowing what to expect. In the sense of whether Nintendo was going all in with their announcements from now on with this, or was it just some experiment that they were working with. Once it became clear that it was their main way of sharing news it gained traction. So, if Sony came out and said they they were doing a new SoP focused on the PS5, that's really all they need for attention. They don't need to be packed with other publishers. Similarly other big publishers could make it clear that they're going to be showing something that fans have been clamoring for and that'd ramp up hype for it. In other words, all that really needs to be done is for people to know that this is a stream where big announcements are going to be made. Once that's set in stone the attention will follow.

You're still dealing with the issue of each publisher then having to completely handle marketing for their own separate events instead of partially being able to piggyback off of the E3 marketing. For big pushers that probably isn't an issue, but for anyone else it could be

E3 demos are not suitable for consoles. A PC game crashing will usually just crash the application. A console game crashing might be more severe. E3 demos are prone to have issues their machines are often rebooted even if this isn't explicitly shown

Oct 27, 2017
Id take it. I know e3 has its issues but I have looked forward to it every year since 2007. I don't want my summer game conference to go away! Hopefully it adapts and evolves in a meaningful way for game companies

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Don't see why anyone would agree to participate, even if I'd love to still have all the announcements bunched up like regular E3.