• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
A Monster Hunter would be boring, but unsurprising. Plus there's a template in MvCi so it's not like it'd be unprecedented.

Doomguy would be hilarious though, and I hope that one is real just for the reactions.

Feb 5, 2018
So.....R.I.P. This Rumor?

Depends on your angle. If you believe that this person provided enough proof to an anon 4 chan post, then sure. If you believe that anyone can make up anything especially when trying to prove that authorship of an anon-4 chan post, then this argument is likely garbage to you.

aka, its up to you.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Give me Master Chief AND Doomguy. We have countless anime swordsmen, I think it would be funny to have back to back western FPS guys.

Nov 17, 2017
I see and appreciate where you're coming from, but like.. realistically, who's left?
Well my personal most wanted was Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X. I liked when the Smash games pulled from the most recent gen of Nintendo games or secondary characters from series in the game. But I also would've liked to see Impa or Midna or one of the Champions for Zelda. Some other characters that I didn't necessarily want but think would be cool are Captain Toad, Spring Man, Ashley, Isaac, Krystal, Waluigi, Wonder Red. I know they don't have the DLC sale potential of big name 3rd party picks, it's just my personal tastes when it comes to Smash.

Last edited:

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Leak apparently has been confirmed fake:

It has the same file name of the picture used in the supposed leak.

See I tried to tell some of y'all.

Again, PapaGenos is a nice enough person. At least by his YouTube personality.

Although people like him and LaxChris just scour 4chan for these leaks and make content on them. Yeah sure it's fun to talk about, but at the end of the day it's just low-hanging fan made "rumors".

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Real talk, Doomguy would be a massive disappointment for me. He does not have the level of character that he seems to have been assigned by some fans in the past few years. Not the best visual design or most interesting potential move set either.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter better bring the Switch Axe or else what's even the point.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
If they add the same monster hunter from MVC instead of something unique like one of the hunter cats im going to complain on the internet.

Apr 21, 2018
I'd be cool with Doomguy (especially the awesome level that would come with him), but I would be a bit disappointed with a Monster Hunter fighter. The characters are like avatars so it's rather boring, and we already have Ratholos. Plus, to represent MonHun fairly they would need multiple weapon sets and stuff - too much work.

As much as I want Master Chief, I think Doom Guy and Leon/Clair(echo) would be amazing.
(hell, I'm also seriously down for a second round of 5 fighters if they want to keep this train going until 2021)

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If they add the same monster hunter from MVC instead of something unique like one of the hunter cats im going to complain on the internet.
For better or worse, Sakurai has typically prioritized main characters &/or mascots when it comes to franchise representation. And while Felyne is a mascot of sorts, Rathalos is more of a mascot for Monster Hunter than Felyne (see Teppen). Even with this rumor being proven false, the Monster Hunter herself would line up with Sakurai's logic when it comes to character selection (even with Nintendo more involved in the process than usual).

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Wouldn't mind at all (if it was at all legit), but I'd definitely prefer a Felyne rocking the Prowler style to a Hunter to rep MH.

The Felyne's even moonlit in Mario Maker and Animal Crossing, for crying out loud!

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Of course this was confirmed fake mainly because

No buck bumble.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doomguy would be rad, but if Bethesda wanted someone in Smash, I bet it would by a Skyrim character.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
The filename and resolution serves as proof that the image description posted by the new post is of the picture used in the supposed leak.
So? The dude you just quoted literally linked you to the original post in December 9 2018. I wanna believe it's fake as much as the next guy but this looks legit

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Holy shit if doomguy gets actually on Smash... The game would be truly worthy of the name Ultimate. The fucking ultimate fighting game with the greatest roaster ever. I've always related the Doom games with Nintendo for some reason so this would be awesome if true. Hope this is true because I'm tired of anime-esque looking characters in Smash, cuz in my eyes, they all look the fucking same.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Most certainly not true, but few gaming icons would be more deserving than DOOMGUY.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Doomguy would be rad, but if Bethesda wanted someone in Smash, I bet it would by a Skyrim character.

This is the same logic people used to say Banjo wouldn't be in Smash over other characters from bigger series like Master Chief or Minecraft Steve. Smash pretty much always prioritizes fan demand over what would be the bigger series or what the publisher wants. Back when they tried to get Cloud, SE suggested Noctis or Lightning but Sakurai went for Cloud cause he was by far the most popular choice among Smash fans. Doom Slayer outpaces Skyrim reps by a lot in Smash fan polls.

So? The dude you just quoted literally linked you to the original post in December 9 2018. I wanna believe it's fake as much as the next guy but this looks legit

It's not even a leak and was never presented as one. It's literally a wishlist. Guy was just lucky to get what he wanted with the DQ characters. There are so many damn wish lists with Banjo on it that shouldn't even count

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
I've been pushing for Doom guy long before I saw anyone else suggest him, but even I am not gonna take the word of some leaker.

Dont trust em at all.

Mazuve1234

Sep 2, 2018
That post does exist but the images I posted show a new guy that know the guy who made the supposed leak (the original post) and said that it was not a leak ("y'all got baited by an anon with above average taste in games"). This new guy presented the image description as proof that he does know the original guy.

Here is the twitter of the original guy:

A tweet of him that proves that he makes that kind of art before this supposed leak got uncovered.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other thing is...if you were really going for something that's so polarizing in its customer base, then why not Halo?
It definitely has a way bigger audience than DOOM (other than its pioneer status) and Microsoft seems pretty chill about it. That's a franchise that would 100% cover up the nonchalance that Japan would have. (Don't tell me about the need-to-be-on-a-Nintendo-console when MG/FF/Persona exists).

You're bound to get something right after thousands of predictions being thrown out.
this is like the biggest denial post of all time. Halo owes itself to Doom and Doom has a richer history with Nintendo. We know Sakurai is familiar with Doom. Banjo is already the Microsoft character on the pass, Nintendo and Bethesda have a great working relationship right now.

you would have been better pointing at Scorpion or Sub-zero, and even then it's just pure desperation.

Cerium

The Former
Oct 23, 2017
Seems enough reason to be skeptical at this point to close this down.

If anything new develops, a new thread can be made.

Oct 26, 2017
That post does exist but the images I posted show a new guy that know the guy who made the supposed leak (the original post) and said that it was not a leak ("y'all got baited by an anon with above average taste in games"). This new guy presented the image description as proof that he does know the original guy.

Here is the twitter of the original guy:

A tweet of him that proves that he makes that kind of art before this supposed leak got uncovered.

This one is good, I can't take 'I spoke to a guy on discord' stories seriously on their own, but the twitter account backs it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.