• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just feel like people are putting themselves in Nintendo's shoes when thinking about their business practices for absolutely no reason. Particularly in the case of Smash, where Sakurai has shown time and again that he does not care about corporate politics. I imagine he would get Kratos if he could.
Sakurai said he left the picking of the 5 DLC charcters to Nintendo this time though. Otherwise I wouldn't even be arguing this at all. The DQ Hero makes perfect sense for example, with SE's DQ11 port filled to the brim with exclusive content. Joker didn't, so that's why I said two times now already arguing this doesn't make too much sense anyway because, as much as I love Persona, that was an asinine business decision. If it wasn't for the Japanese MonHun community, giving one of your highly contested DLC slots to a company that doesn't give a flying fuck about your system and your audience would be as well.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It doesn't because someone like Banjo is specifically for the west. It's one of the old rules that people apply to Sakurai's choices that mean literally nothing to Sakurai.
Japan really liked Banjo too though. People going around saying that Banjo was only for the West were spreading misinformation.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
What? If I was a company and a business partner would pull one of their staples form my platform (MH) and feed my audience with overpriced or late bullshit (or straight up bullshit like the DMC 1 situation), I wouldn't want to give them another spot in my walking marketing machine called Smash when there are others knocking on that door.
It's not that complicated. But as I said, Nintendo also was willing to market Joker with neither Atlus nor Nintendo capitalizing on it by you know, putting the game Joker is actually from on the console. What has anything of that to do with stock? And no, I don't.

As a consumer I care about whether "Capcom 'helps' Nintendo with the Switch or whatever" in the sense that I'd like more original games or at least not get shit like Okami half a year later and not even as a physical release, or DMC 1 instead of the trilogy because seemingly Capcom likes to troll people who own a Switch. (I put 300 hours into World before you come with your next fanboy accusation). That's not the topic of the thread though.

I'm coming right back with the fanboy accusation. This is as thinly veiled port begging for Hunter world as possible.

Edit- and ffs you put so many hours in, you should be happy for the franchise you love to get more exposure.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you even post here on this forum? Why should people have opinion with a given explanation on video games? I really don't know maybe you should enlighten Resetera for us, Ms. or Mr. Regulus Tera?
It's one thing to talk about video games and their merits from an artistic or ludic point of view and another to start getting hurt in behalf of the massive multinational corporations when another massive multinational corporation (perceivedly) slights them.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Monster Hunter would be pretty boring, even if it makes sense. Resident Evil getting snubbed just seems so odd.
Doomguy is rad though, makes up for no Master Chief and there's no argument about that dudes Gaming Legacy and Nintendo Presence.

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
DOOM can definitely be worked in despite the gore from his original game (it's not as drastic as MK), but I don't see anyone here approaching the elephants in the room.

1. Switch ports don't mean anything when it comes to smash rep. Snake had 3 shitty games on Nintendo consoles, Persona got a musuo spinoff and i'm sure as heck cloud didn't get in off KH and theatrhythm. You definitely have DQ, but given that everyone here has taken it for granted just because the DOOM games are getting ported in.

2. Japan really doesn't give 2 hoots about DOOM. It's not only sakurai's team working on a franchise that haven't been recognized much by him (a one-time shout-out doesn't count), you're giving up a significant portion of your customer base who won't buy the individual character pack. And is DOOM really big enough in the west to offset that loss?

Legacy and all may be great, but at the end of the day sales still reign as to what determines the characters imho.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
It always surprises me (it shouldn't anymore) how few Smash fans are able to take a step outside of themselves and, should a character they don't personally care about or like get in, just be happy for that character's fans instead of raging about it and screaming "shitty character," "wasted slot," "literally the worst choice," and all that other nonsense.

Having your favorite character get into Smash is an amazing, very special feeling if you're an enthusiast, and raining on a fanbase's parade just because they got a character you don't like is just really ugly, childish behavior. There are about 80 fucking characters in this game. Surely not every single one of those 80 has to appeal specifically to you?

Anyway, I have absolutely zero hype or love for Monster Hunter and especially Doomguy, and if they're actually the fourth and fifth characters, I would be incredibly disappointed but I'll still be very happy for their fans, and vocally so.

Oct 26, 2017
2. Japan really doesn't give 2 hoots about DOOM. It's not only sakurai's team working on a franchise that haven't been recognized much by him (a one-time shout-out doesn't count), you're giving up a significant portion of your customer base who won't buy the individual character pack. And is DOOM really big enough in the west to offset that loss?

Guh huh?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm coming right back with the fanboy accusation. This is as thinly veiled port begging for Hunter world as possible.

Edit- and ffs you put so many hours in, you should be happy for the franchise you love to get more exposure.
I can be (more than) happy about how World turned out and can still be dissatisfied with their Switch support. Which has been abysmal to put it lightly. It's almost like I'm capable of multiple feelings at once. I don't care about World on Switch, at all. It wouldn't be feasable. Not sure how you get portbegging from my post.
What would've been feasable is an Okami port day and date with the other platforms and a physical release in Europe. Or the DMC trilogy instead of going through the effort of ripping out the first game and selling it seperately like goddamn trolls. But this is derailing the topic I think so let's leave it at that.

I also wasn't saying that poster is a fanboy, but that they accuse me of being a fanboy of...something I guess? Same as you, not sure why.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Monster Hunter is huge in Japan, and Monster Hunter: World is Capcom's highest-selling game to date.

www.capcom.co.jp

Platinum Titles |Product Data | CAPCOM

Titles which sold more than 1 million copies each are listed with videos and screen shots.
Not saying that Monster Hunter isn't popular, hell, I'm a big MH fan, I just feel like Smash reveals are super insane and "character in MH gear from Monster Hunter" doesn't seem like it fits that mold.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
First of all, yes.

Second of all, you're overlooking how much Nintendo wants to curry the favor of the company behind Skyrim, the game that was cited as the single biggest influence in Nintendo's most successful game of the last few years.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I don't believe for a second, frankly; .. Not that is because is lacking any character I care about, but these another Capcom character and Doomguy overall sounds really unlikely (especially for being the least popular Bethesda franchise in Japan).
Sega has 3 full non-echo characters, why does a third for Capcom sound unlikely? They certainly have the library to deserve a third (and a fourth, fifth, and sixth).

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Monster Hunter getting in despite MH:W not being on the system would be pretty funny.

I want to say that Monster Hunter doesn't deserve to be in Smash but then again no one deserves to be in Smash. We do know that Capcom is currently developing a Switch exclusive Monster Hunter in the same vein as the handheld games so it begs the question as to whether the announcement of Monster Hunter in Smash would coincide with the announcement of this new MH game. I could see a Game Awards 2019 announcement for both of them.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only want Doomguy if I can watch him rip Pichu in half with his bare hands.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
First of all, yes.

Second of all, you're overlooking how much Nintendo wants to curry the favor of the company behind Skyrim, the game that was cited as the single biggest influence in Nintendo's most successful game of the last few years.
I genuinely don't see what people are comparing between BotW and Skyrim. Is it just that they're both open world, and some people's first open world game was Skyrim?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter getting in despite MH:W not being on the system would be pretty funny.

I want to say that Monster Hunter doesn't deserve to be in Smash but then again no one deserves to be in Smash. We do know that Capcom is currently developing a Switch exclusive Monster Hunter in the same vein as the handheld games so it begs the question as to whether the announcement of Monster Hunter in Smash would coincide with the announcement of this new MH game. I could see a Game Awards 2019 announcement for both of them.
Do we?

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017
DOOM can definitely be worked in despite the gore from his original game (it's not as drastic as MK), but I don't see anyone here approaching the elephants in the room.

1. Switch ports don't mean anything when it comes to smash rep. Snake had 3 shitty games on Nintendo consoles, Persona got a musuo spinoff and i'm sure as heck cloud didn't get in off KH and theatrhythm. You definitely have DQ, but given that everyone here has taken it for granted just because the DOOM games are getting ported in.

Legacy and all may be great, but at the end of the day sales still reign as to what determines the characters imho.
ridley and king k rool were literally added due to fan demand, just admit you just dont want characters you dont want

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only want Doomguy if I can watch him rip Pichu in half with his bare hands.
manofculture.JPG

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Oh but still rumors will always be rumors regardless where the sources are from, As for Banjo its been heavy hinted by Phil Spencer for years.

Spencer only said he was open and willing to work with Nintendo to put Banjo in, as have countless other developers and gaming execs that have hoped to curry Sakurai's favor in getting a character in. If we accept that as "heavily hinted" then a whole bunch of other characters have been as well.

Banjo in Smash Ultimate hints at their earliest go back to around last December IIRC.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Aonuma himself cited Skyrim as an influence to BotW.
Isn't his quote actually something along the lines of "we don't like to take ideas from other games, but we did research Skyrim to learn what pitfalls to avoid in designing open-world games" which sounds suspiciously like a delicious dunk on Skyrim.

Edit: yeah, from this random Gamespot article: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-skyrim-influenced-breath-of-the-wild/1100-6455780/
"I don't actually myself play a lot of other games," Fujibayashi explained through a translator. "I obviously am well versed in them, I know what's happening in them. But this ending up in this kind of bigger open world really started from the prototype stage where, just kind of naturally by virtue of what we wanted to do in this game, we started to realize that we absolutely do need this bigger open world in order to make the kind of game that we wanted."

However, the studio did look to Skyrim to learn more about the challenges of making open-world games. Having never tackled anything at Breath of the Wild's scale before, the team needed data and material to research. According to Aonuma, Skyrim helped provide some of that data.

"In the past I've also actually said that I have played Skyrim, so it's not necessarily that I don't play games," Aonuma stated. "But we don't look at it from, 'Oh, what kind of things can we take from this game?' It's more of like, 'How can we prepare for this? What should we expect from games like this?'"

Last edited:

rayngiraffe

Dec 11, 2018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo-Kazooie
Last time I heard, BK sold way more in Japan compared to DOOM's...10k sales in Japan?

First of all, yes.

I've looked at DOOM's PC sales and it has hovered around 2m? This isn't a critical indicator but there's nothing to definitely prove that it's a complete cultural icon (unless you can show other facts).
Also I think people overestimate how big of a thing smash is when dealing with companies. It's a huge marketing tool for sure, but won't dollars and contracts speak way more than that? Also I think your skyrim example is strange since that is linked to the Botw team, not sakurai.

ridley and king k rool were literally added due to fan demand, just admit you just dont want characters you dont want
That's a fair point but ridley/k rool were added as base roster, not dlc. I can see a character that is heavily western-orientated in smash - but as a dlc character where you want the demand to be balanced? Even DQ had multi-million sellers in the West.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Why does every character have to make Japan happy
I mean, Smash is a Japanese game. When comes to western franchises and western made characters, at least you'd expect to have something that would be recognizable there. Japan really likes Skyrim, if they must have something from Bethesda catalog.

Banjo and K. Rool (and Diddy) are well loved there; Dark Samus just happens to be part of a Japanese franchise too.

Sega has 3 full non-echo characters, why does a third for Capcom sound unlikely? They certainly have the library to deserve a third (and a fourth, fifth, and sixth).

so Bandai NAMCO, and they only got Pac-Man in the game; --and I would say Konami is also quite there doubling their possibilities with Hudson characters. Sure I'd love a bunch of Capcom characters (Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins, Phoenix Wright and Viewtiful Joe all before Monster Hunter), but they added Ken in the base and had the license for Monster Hunter stuff already with Rathalos..

I only imagine if they wanted to put something Monster Hunter in Smash, they'd put in the base game.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you peeps are just ridiculous. Y'all got fucking BANJO and you're gonna hate on the few that want Doomguy? Maaaaaaan.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doomguy is a nice choice. It would the hypest one so far.
a06.png

Only missing for the (achievable) dream roster would be Steve from Minecraft :'(

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, Smash is a Japanese game. When comes to western franchises and western made characters, at least you'd expect to have something that would be recognizable there. Japan really likes Skyrim, if they must have something from Bethesda catalog.

Banjo and K. Rool (and Diddy) are well loved there; Dark Samus just happens to be part of a Japanese franchise too.
Smash is an international game, with the overwhelming majority of sales happening outside of Japan. They clearly want to cater to everyone, not just Japanese costumers. Dark Samus is from Metroid Prime, a game (and series) specifically designed with western audiences in mind. Come on.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Doomguy being the first western third-party to be playable in Smash is honestly perfect, do it Nintendo.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, if true I didn't really care about any of the DLC characters too much. Whatever though. Roster was great to begin with and I got the fighter pack on sale anyway.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Meh, if true I didn't really care about any of the DLC characters too much. Whatever though. Roster was great to begin with and I got the fighter pack on sale anyway.

I just wish the DLC came with new modes instead of just being characters and a stage. That would at least have made expanding the game exciting even if the characters were always destined to be this boring.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Doomguy would be awesome but I'd prefer Ryu Hayabusa over Hunter. If it has to be a MH rep, make it a monster like Rajang or Brachydios instead of the Hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.