• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
So i was just checking the steam page for the newly announced SW: Squadrons and it doesn't seem to have the usual ORIGIN installation requirement that past EA titles like Jedi: Fallen Order did. Here is what it says about the requirements below:

Requires 3rd-Party Account: EA Account (Supports Linking to Steam Account)
Requires agreement to a 3rd-party EULA
STAR WARS™: Squadrons EULA

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222730/STAR_WARS_Squadrons/

I hope its really true since it would make a lot of STEAM customer's lives a lot more easier launching and playing it without launching Origin AT ALL.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was disappointed to see many of these older EA releases do not support Steam achievements (and possibly other features like Cloud Saving?). Hopefully that isn't the case for future releases.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
They can always add the requirement to the page later. It would be great if it really doesn't end up being necessary though.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah. C&C Remastered doesn't need Origin either. The plan was always to have new releases be much better integrated with Steam since it's much easier to do so with a game in development/not even in production yet than to try patching games after the fact to fully support steam and not require a thin client.

Especially when in some cases the studio that worked on them is defunct/merged with a completely different studio working on a completely different game.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just figured that'd be the case for all future games. They just didn't put any effort into bringing any of their older games to Steam for whatever reason.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
It says EA account required on that page.

The store pages of games that are tethered to Origin list said requirement separately:

screenshot_2020-06-160jjcb.png

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I was disappointed to see many of these older EA releases do not support Steam achievements (and possibly other features like Cloud Saving?). Hopefully that isn't the case for future releases.

That's because EA are not putting a heavy effort in getting them to work on Steam - seemingly treating them as "legacy" titles.

Look at C&C Remastered - all the Steam features, no Origin. Apex is confirmed to not use Origin according to the devs, and seemingly this one now looks to be doing the same thing (if it stays this way)

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Command and Conquer doesn't require it and we know from Respawn that Apex won't require it either. I think the only reason the other games do was to make the switch from Origin to Steam as painless as possible.