• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 24, 2018
Well, for reasons that likely go without saying, we're not likely going to get someone like Avellone, again.

But there has to be other good writers out there. The question is if Lucasfilm will let them be as daring, when there's such a firm grasp on what they want the Force to be, nowadays. Stuff like Kreia and her views wouldn't fly with today's story group.
Right, like I doubt the narrative of KOTOR 2 will go over well with modern LucasFilms which is my biggest worry.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Kotor existed during the wild west of Star Wars when you could pretty much do whatever you wanted as long as you didn't care about Papa Lucas' seal of canon. Now everything has to be rubber stamped multiple times by the mouse. Making even linear stories is like pulling teeth, and has gotten multiple games canceled now from Ea. Imagine making a full scale bioware rpg.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Kotor existed during the wild west of Star Wars when you could pretty much do whatever you wanted as long as you didn't care about Papa Lucas' seal of canon. Now everything has to be rubber stamped multiple times by the mouse. Making even linear stories is like pulling teeth, and has gotten multiple games canceled now from Ea. Imagine making a full scale bioware rpg.
One thing I wonder is if they'd just fully embrace how KOTOR/TOR continues to exist within its own "bubble" within the Old EU/Legends continuity that's still going to this day, and just make a new game in that line. Establish firmly that a new KOTOR game is Legends and has NOTHING to do with the ongoing Disney canon, and just allow the team to make a new game that'll make fans of KOTOR happy.

...they'd never do it, but it'd be an interesting move.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Let Obsidian do a KOTOR reimagination. I would've been fine with BioWare in the past, but I don't trust the developer as much as I used to.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Really wonder who this developer Jason is referring to is. Someone we'd never expect is an interesting thing to say.

Im just so hungry for a Star Wars RPG.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Someone we would not expect to make an Star Wars RPG... Watch it be The Coalition or something like that.

Ummm... Thinking more about this, if it's an studio that has not worked on RPGs before then we should think about studios that have been posting job ads looking for people with experience in making RPGs.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well, the combat is absolutely awful in KOTOR so full remake or "reimagining" is necessary I guess.

Cool if true. But I doubt it. Old Republic isn't canon, right? Would Disney allow them to make a game that would be basically fan-fiction?

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
That's the whole game?

Yeah, I binned it off after faffing about with the Sandpeople. By that point I realised I was getting no enjoyment from it and what the game was wasnt going to change.

It almost put me off Mass Effect (which had hints of the bad stuff, but I eventually loved), and I found Dragon Age similarly disengaging.

I think I have a Bioware issue more than anything else.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I want Obsidian to make a new one, but that's not happening anytime soon so give it to Spiders. Greedfall was the best modern KotOR like game I've played, IMO.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
you never played the original kotor because if you did you wouldn't be saying this
Imagine not wanting the best SW character to return.
Revan was a player surrogate with a cool mask. There is literally nothing else there besides an off-the-beaten-path conversation with Kreia in 2 where she speculates that he might have been smarter than your average Sith Lord. That's it.

7 years later, SWTOR made him into a raid boss with poorly-written delusions of grandeur.

Neil98

May 2, 2018
Madrid, Spain
What if it's the folks at Square Enix? After all they work with Disney in the same building. But Avengers having been a big failed project, I don't know if it would be possible... Then again, if Shinobi knew about this, maybe it's a Sony project? Could it be a Guerilla Games project? Suits them, tbh. Or an even crazier thought... What if it was the new San Diego Studio's new project?

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
it's going to be the ffvii remake of KOTOR and you'll spend the entire game in that apartment complex area in the beginning.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Obsidian please! I'm VERY fine with BioWare not handling it given all the projects they have running.

Though the same probably goes for Obsidian lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What other game got cancelled aside from the one that had major development issues due to trying to create a cinematic third person game meant to be as if not more ambitious than Uncharted 4 with an engine made for FPS games?

Revan was a player surrogate with a cool mask. There is literally nothing else there besides an off-the-beaten-path conversation with Kreia in 2 where she speculates that he might have been smarter than your average Sith Lord. That's it.

7 years later, SWTOR made him into a raid boss with poorly-written delusions of grandeur.
It's not all that surprising that a literal self insert would be considered one of the best SW characters. Especially with the shocking twist that you were not just a sith lord, but THE sith lord.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
From cinelix

Take with a grain of salt of course....BUT HOLY SHIT IF TRUE

On BioWare's Involvement:
To those worried about BioWare being involved; Austin is maintaining Anthem & working on the supposed 2.0 reboot (plus SWTOR lol), and Edmonton is all in on DA4 *and* early pre-prod on Mass Effect. It's highly unlikely BioWare would be involved in developing this game if this is true. As a matter of fact BioWare hasn't made a Star Wars/un-owned IP since the first KotOR (and the MMO SWTOR). It's the reason they passed on the sequel. They've been focused on their own stuff for over a decade now.
So a 'God of War 2018' version of Star Wars KOTOR? A game that would feel like a remake/soft reboot while taking into account the lore and events of the previous games?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

That's an oversimplification. None of that would have mattered if KoTOR's story wasnt as incredible as it is. Of course the player involvement with the character is paramount for their success, but if it was only that, the character legacy would not be what it is.

Also, in terms of KoTOR2, there are many dialogues with many characters that develop Revan, but it's a different vision of Revan. And in some ways parallel to what made the character great.

Dec 20, 2017
To be honest I don't understand the people who are super anti-Bioware but pro-Obsidian. The last truly great RPG Obsidian put out was New Vegas in 2010... the same year Bioware put out Mass Effect 2. In terms of recent releases, I'd argue that Andromeda is just as good a game as (if not better than) The Outer Worlds. Avellone is gone (and shouldn't come back, seeing as he's an abuser), and tbh even the writing on the last game he wrote for them (which I believe was the first PoE) wasn't that hot. Bioware got memed into oblivion about how buggy it's last couple games were, but historically Obsidian outdoes even Bethesda in its reputation for releasing buggy messes. Obsidian to my knowledge has never released a fully 3D RPG that wasn't half broken at release.

I'd take a KOTOR game written by Patrick Weekes in a heartbeat over a KOTOR game written by whoever is working at Obsidian now.

Deadlock

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
KOTOR is hands down the best Star Wars story and video game I played, it got me into Star Wars. Hopefully if this remake gets green lit it means KOTOR is back as canon as far as Disney is concerned not just relegated into Legends fluff.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
That's an oversimplification. None of that would have mattered if KoTOR's story wasnt as incredible as it is. Of course the player involvement with the character is paramount for their success, but if it was only that, the character legacy would not be what it is.

Also, in terms of KoTOR2, there are many dialogues with many characters that develop Revan, but it's a different vision of Revan. And in some ways parallel to what made the character great.
the people forget the Exile was forgotten (another audience surrogate) Revan was not

tekomandor

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest I don't understand the people who are super anti-Bioware but pro-Obsidian. The last truly great RPG Obsidian put out was New Vegas in 2010... the same year Bioware put out Mass Effect 2. In terms of recent releases, I'd argue that Andromeda is just as good a game as (if not better than) The Outer Worlds. Avellone is gone (and shouldn't come back, seeing as he's an abuser), and tbh even the writing on the last game he wrote for them (which I believe was the first PoE) wasn't that hot. Bioware got memed into oblivion about how buggy it's last couple games were, but historically Obsidian outdoes even Bethesda in its reputation for releasing buggy messes. Obsidian to my knowledge has never released a fully 3D RPG that wasn't half broken at release.

I'd take a KOTOR game written by Patrick Weekes in a heartbeat over a KOTOR game written by whoever is working at Obsidian now.
Bioware have never unironically ended a game with "Rocks fall, everyone dies,", so I agree with you.

Jul 24, 2018

Gonna agree, it was honestly the sequel that made Revan interesting through dialogue with Mandalore, G0-T0 and Kreia you get this idea that Revan was not just a Jedi but also competemt tactician who'd deliberately leave key points of the Republic in tact for conquering and prepare them for another war, and his use of a Sith Academy to turn all of his Jedi fellows against the Jedi etc. In the first game there isn't alot to him other than he went against the wishes of the Council to fight the Mandalorians, and then somehow became a Sith. No thorough explanation for his reasons or motivations especially since the player character's responses boil down to virtuous hero, or Evil dictator depending on your alignment not much nuance compared to the sequel.

KOTOR 2 was also my introduction to the series though.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020

I think it comes down to writing quality and gameplay issues, you can see it in bioware with each dragon age, like when they had the site that was there to help you transfer your choices to inquisition, every single one of the sidequests in origins was there and what you did with each option, for dragon age 2 barely half the sidequests were there, now inquisition none of the sidequests outside of the companion ones were meaningful instead they were mostly bad paint by number go here kill this collect this. the meaningful choices that were the main draw of bioware games was relegated to a real time board management bullshit that could take up to 72 hours for 1 to finish. obsidian atleast hasn't done anything like that yet

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Watch it be Knights of the High Republic instead
you don't know how many people that would piss off, that includes people who enjoy high republic, kotor and that era is to high regarded for them to do this, the idea of bringing bastila, hk-47, jolie, canderous, and revan back in canon only for them to take that rug and pull it out from under us. The backlash would be MASSIVE

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Larian they're the modern BioWare basically.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
latest