• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'm the only one here have the feeling this rumor game will has better gameplay than FF16

Nah.

Edit: To elaborate a little, o don't think Team Ninja has ever made a single game as good as DMC5 or Dragon's Dogma, so yeah, don't see it. It's an apples/oranges comparison anyway, but still. Esoecuslky when Origin is apparently budget-constrained.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Will either of them have better gameplay than FF7R tho is the question
I love FF7R's combat so much that I wanted it to be the new baseline for the series moving forward for a while, like the ATB from IV to IX.

I trust Yoshi-P's studio even if it is a single character action game, but man that action/turn-based hybrid was tight.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I love FF7R's combat so much that I wanted it to be the new baseline for the series moving forward for a while, like the ATB from IV to IX.

I trust Yoshi-P's studio even if it is a single character action game, but man that action/turn-based hybrid was tight.
Kinda hard to predict since VIIR has one of the best battle systems ever. But possible!
Tug of war!

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R is the only time i've ever felt good/had fun playing a fist user (or kung fu) in a game/RPG (I hate 90% of Tales of fist fighters)

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Depends if the gameplay is literally Nioh or Ninja Gaiden then maybe, but I don't expect it to be close to those.

Then again I don't expect FFXVI's combat to be close to DMC so we'll see.

And as much as I'm hoping for the best, in both cases, it's going to be things where we see the "DNA", but they're still going to be quite different products.

Which hopefully will be for the best. I love Nioh, but I don't want Origins to effectively "replace" it, either. Ditto that Dragon's Dogma 2 is inevitable, so we don't need 16 to be a direct copy of that.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
pTPFgsXG1tLD8IJjXBVnfg_r.jpg
oz5JxQ-oPRnF0-U-zUuGHA_r.jpg

13OZ77diqNpJypHLfIgmLQ_r.jpg

B4CrK_BI--avN_GPiRQl4w_r.jpg

Classic ❤️

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Nah.

Edit: To elaborate a little, o don't think Team Ninja has ever made a single game as good as DMC5 or Dragon's Dogma, so yeah, don't see it. It's an apples/oranges comparison anyway, but still. Esoecuslky when Origin is apparently budget-constrained.
I don't think one of battle planner alone in DMC5 team can make combat in FF16 feel good like DMC5. We will see...

Depends if the gameplay is literally Nioh or Ninja Gaiden then maybe, but I don't expect it to be close to those.

Then again I don't expect FFXVI's combat to be close to DMC so we'll see.
I hope the moob battle win challenge enough like Soul Nioh and boss battle feel like DMC

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I don't think one of battle planner alone in DMC5 team can make combat in FF16 feel good like DMC5. We will see...

I hope the moob battle win challenge enough like Soul Nioh and boss battle feel like DMC

Suzuki was most recently a designer for Devil May Cry 5, game design lead for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and gameplay lead for Dragon's Dogma.

Seems like he's done more than just be a battle planner for DMC5. Him being gameplay lead for DD is enough to give me max confidence, personally.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'll wait for the reveal before deciding this one way or the other, but if it's a Souls-like game then it's going to be a hard pass for me.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Suzuki was most recently a designer for Devil May Cry 5, game design lead for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and gameplay lead for Dragon's Dogma.

Seems like he's done more than just be a battle planner for DMC5. Him being gameplay lead for DD is enough to give me max confidence, personally.

To be fair, I'm still waiting to see exactly how far his new bosses are willing to let him go.

Likely the very reason we got so many magical things from Suzuki was because he and his former boss Itsuno were cut from the same cloth, a shared background in Capcom's fighting games, before they inevitably worked together (again) on DMC and DD. So, while it's good that Square Enix scooped him up for his talents and experience, how much of that will gel with Yoshida and Takai's vision will remain to be seen, I think.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I really just hope the combat for both games are solid overall like that's honestly the only reason I'm interested in these titles is because of the combat and who's behind them, though I guess in Origins case it's suppose to be dark/gritty so that's a plus.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I'm still waiting to see exactly how far his new bosses are willing to let him go.

Likely the very reason we got so many magical things from Suzuki was because he and his former boss Itsuno were cut from the same cloth, a shared background in Capcom's fighting games, before they inevitably worked together (again) on DMC and DD. So, while it's good that Square Enix scooped him up for his talents and experience, how much of that will gel with Yoshida and Takai's vision will remain to be seen, I think.

Fwiw the battle system lead for VIIR is a former MonHun guy. SE seems to have acknowledged that the skill set to create action based combat didn't really exist inside the company before and that's why these dudes are getting hired. It's that or they just keep churning out stuff like Dirge of Cerberus or w/e.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I'll wait for the reveal before deciding this one way or the other, but if it's a Souls-like game then it's going to be a hard pass for me.
It's apparently Souls-inspired, but made more accessible (probably difficulty modes and the like).

I think one of the insiders also hinted that it wasn't exactly a Soulslike, or at least not exactly what you would expect when you thought "Final Fantasy Soulslike".

Ovvv

Banned
Jan 11, 2019

It'd be really weird if they hired this guy, put him as the battle director, only to shackle him... Especially when FF has historically been soooo willing to get wild with its combat systems.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017

Yea this was my thinking when they announced they poached him. Especially cuz BBI is probably one of my fave dungeon crawling experiences ever.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
It's apparently Souls-inspired, but made more accessible (probably difficulty modes and the like).

I think one of the insiders also hinted that it wasn't exactly a Soulslike, or at least not exactly what you would expect when you thought "Final Fantasy Soulslike".

Thanks for info, I'll try to keep an open mind. It's just I have no faith in this after Dissidia NT, but action games are kinda Team Ninja's forte, so we'll see.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Fwiw the battle system lead for VIIR is a former MonHun guy. SE seems to have acknowledged that the skill set to create action based combat didn't really exist inside the company before and that's why these dudes are getting hired. It's that or they just keep churning out stuff like Dirge of Cerberus or w/e.

Yep! Which is why I'm still in the "wait for the other shoe to drop" mode. I'm one of those who don't feel too about FF7R's combat style either way, but at the very least, it didn't wow me like I had hoped when I heard Teruki Endo was lending his talents as battle director. Either that, or it was just overstated because his new leads, Sakane and Shiroichi, were still predominantly running the show.

It'd be really weird if they hired this guy, put him as the battle director, only to shackle him... Especially when FF has historically been soooo willing to get wild with its combat systems.

Again, see above reply. I'm more than willing to keep an open mind, but I definitely need to see more!

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys I have heard the show announcement will be tomorrow now. I apologise for saying it would probably be today but I did say it could be tomorrow. Early tomorrow in America.

The Last One

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry guys I have heard the show announcement will be tomorrow now. I apologise for saying it would probably be today but I did say it could be tomorrow. Early tomorrow in America.

No problem, you really did say it could be tomorrow so it's not a big deal. And it makes sense, today we had the Direct announcement so SE probably prefers to have a clean news day for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.