• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2019
Everyone citing Minecraft as a reason why GTA wouldn't be exclusive is forgetting Minecraft was already out for pretty much everything before the acquisition.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What the absolute fuck. It feels like in the span of 2 weeks we went from "gee I wonder what next gen will be like" to "ALL DIGITAL STREAMING A LA CARTE FUTURE IS NOW, OLD MAN"

Nov 18, 2017
Synonymous doesn't mean exclusive. And just because you associate it with the Sony brand doesn't mean I do.

I'm talking in facts.

GTA 1 came out on PC and Playstation.
Sony had the console version exclusive to themselves.

GTA2 came out on PC, PS & later DC (not Saturn).
It debuted on Playstation in the console space.

GTA3 came to Playstation first, literally exclusive for a year or so before PC, and two years before the Xbox port.

It is perfectly reasonable to say the brand had some Sony exclusivity and was associated with Playstation.

You can choose not to make the association, but it exists and those are the facts.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't 'advanced board level discussions' incredibly specific? When these rumors pop up they usually say 'company X is in talks to acquire company Y' or even 'advanced talks'
This makes it sound like they are past this phase and Sony is evaluating whether to close the deal or not

No offense to Jason but these rumors are not game leaks or development hell stories. If this rumor has any merit it will show up on something like the WSJ

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this sounds crazy, but I seriously doubt they'd buy them for 14+ billion dollar if the entirety of Sony is only worth 60 billion. Just seems like a lot of money for not a lot of return. I'd much sooner believe if it was Microsoft.

I really don't see Sony paying that much for anyone and would it really make sense to buy Rockstar who puts out one game per generation?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
uhm, a continued success in brand after selling yourself is a point of consideration. Just because one offers more money does not make them the winner. Just look at Ubisoft vs VIvendi. Vivendi can buy Ubisoft but Ubi doesn't want to, hence the hostile takeover that's been happening.

The continued viability of those IPs then becomes Google's concern. It'd be a similar issue with a sale to Sony. Going from selling your games on 4 platforms worldwide to just one is good for that one platform (Sony in this case) yet less good for the reach of those IPs, and potentially less desirable for some of their licensing partners (NBA, WWE)

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Might get laughed out of this thread but I don't think this would be the smartest purchase for Sony to make. Can't imagine all the overhead huge mess this would cause with this acquisition. If Sony wants to go big with a purchase, get some smaller devs like insomniac or something. Not this huge beast that would need to be tamed.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I highly doubt this will happen because it wouldn't make sense for Take-Two to cut out its Xbox audience just to get billions of dollars from a Sony acquisition.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Worst Case Scenario:

• Sony bids for Take Two
  • MS comes in at the end to outbid Sony. Phill convinces Satya he cant succeed without Rockstar. Satya be like how much you need. $5 billion? lol. take $10 like Avon From the Wire.
  • Sony investors freak out. Shares drop. Sony is forced to buy sign some exclusive agreement with Square Enix or Ubisoft.
  • MS buys EA.
  • Google comes in and buys Activision. Kotick sells it because he is promised a $100 million golden parachute.
  • Gamers now have to buy 3 $500 consoles to play CoD, Battlefield and GTA.
  • Sony goes back to third place because MS has rockstar and EA and Google has CoD.
  • Sony ends up losing money and has to shutdown Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica and Guerrilla Games.
  • MS buys insomniac.
  • Neil Druckmann goes to Google to make mobile games.
  • He finds Amy working there after getting hired by Jade Raymond.
  • Amy asks him to promise if the IGN reports about him forcing her out were False.
  • Neil looks at his watch, thinks and Lies, "I promise."
  • Amy, "Ok"
  • They decide to live with that lie and reluctantly work together to reboot uncharted at Google when Google decides no one buys non-GaaS games and cancels it.
  • Sony files for bankruptcy and is absorbed by Google.
  • President Barron Trump allows Google and MS to merge.
  • In unrelated news, Mark Zuckerberg gets eaten by his family robot.
In for this future because of that last bullet point let's go.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Too many people here don't even know what Sony is. Too many think Sony = PlayStation or tech company. But are you listening to music right now? Good chance the artist is under Sonys wings. Also good chances that the next movie or TV show you watch is from Sony. If Apple, Alphabet and Microsoft are tier 1 size companys, Sony would be tier 2 and Take Two like tier 5 or 6 in comparison.

Eeehhhh... Sony is not close to Apple, Alphabet, and Microsoft, and they're much closer to TakeTwo in market cap. Apple, Google, and Microsoft's market cap are all around $850 billion. Sony's is $50 billion. Take2's is about $10 billion.

If MSFT/Apple/Alphabet are "tier 1 companies" and Take2 is a "Tier 6," then Sony is not a Tier 2.

Also, Sony Pictures makes up a relatively small portion of their income. Sony's Financial Services division in Asia is their most profitable, followed by gaming, then their semiconductor business. It was only until recently that Sony Pictures was not a big loser for them financially.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Are we assuming Microsoft is the only first party developer to have failures?
Compared to sony yeah. I mean Sony has their flaws but if TT acquisition or whatever agreement would means, if that guarantees more sp from Rockstar, I'm for it. In the MS hands almost surely I suspect doesn't lean to more sp games but with Sony behind there are more hopes by TakeTwo for more single player games I guess. But of course if wont change anything I don't care about bit.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MIND BLOWING if true..
Do it Sony, I've love to see what the American media says after saying MS acquired AAA studios... when clearly they did not.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, this obviously isn't a thing that's ever happening, but it's funny seeing people in these threads all like "sony aint shit! if ms can't buy them sony deffo cant! actually ms should buy them!" hahaha.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
The continued viability of those IPs then becomes Google's concern. It'd be a similar issue with a sale to Sony. Going from selling your games on 4 platforms worldwide to just one is good for that one platform (Sony in this case) yet less good for the reach of those IPs, and potentially less desirable for some of their licensing partners (NBA, WWE)

you're forgetting that T2 has a say, and they don't just look at the numbers and go, "okay you bid the highest you're the winner."

for a multi-billion-dollar company, no one just looks at the highest bid and calls it a day.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MIND BLOWING if true..
Do it Sony, I've love to see what the American media says after saying MS acquired AAA studios... when clearly they did not.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
How the hell does this work?! Nah, this shit ain't happening. A partnership and/or exclusive publishing agreement I'd believe, but acquisition by Sony as a first party? Thanks for the laughter guys, we Brits need it.

Edit: Oh, it's just rumour-mongering then? Never mind then. iraqipropagandaminister.jpg

Jan 3, 2019
Might get laughed out of this thread but I don't think this would be the smartest purchase for Sony to make. Can't imagine all the overhead huge mess this would cause with this acquisition. If Sony wants to go big with a purchase, get some smaller devs like insomniac or something. Not this huge beast that would need to be tamed.
Not disagreeing with the point, but they've tried to buy Insomniac. Insomniac doesn't want to be purchased.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm expecting the plot twist where this is just a rumor and then Microsoft turns around and buys them. At least the games wouldn't be in a walled garden and still come to PC

sheepysheep

Nov 19, 2018
From email

No opinion on this rumor, but Sony does have the balance sheet to do this deal in a hypothetical scenario. Sony has ~$15B of cash on hand right now and it's not uncommon for companies to do deals that are even bigger than themselves. Sony has plenty of cash/debt options to do a deal of this size, if they want to. On the flip side, Japanese companies have traditionally been more conservative with cash spending compared to American comppnies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
with the money required to buy take two, they can buy like 50 smaller studios, have a much bigger output than "1 big game (gta or rdr) each gen and an NBA game each year), and not deal with the redundancy of being a massive publisher buying another massive publisher.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
you're forgetting that T2 has a say, and they don't just look at the numbers and go, "okay you bid the highest you're the winner."

for a multi-billion-dollar company, no one just looks at the highest bid and calls it a day.

Im not saying they don't have a say. I'm saying the issues you are bringing up apply to Sony as well. The viability of their IPs, and their value, would run into those same concerns.

It's the reason I'm not sure somethinfnlike this (much like the EA/MS rumors) are all that realistic. You'd be paying $15 billion for Take2 and then immediately reducing their value.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Information
Updated the OP to add Joel's quote that this is market chatter and that he was misquoted.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't believe it, but imagine the carnage if Sony owned GTA, Read Dead, Bioshock, Firaxis (and Civ via a licensing deal) etc. Then they'd have publishing deals for Borderlands etc. Mental.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Asking again, would really appreciate it if someone could answer this
it means people on Sony's board of directors are discussing whether they should buy take two or not. it would also mean they believe they have the funds secured to make an offer. there would be no point in discussing it if they didn't think they had the money to do so.

after discussing it they would then vote and then if approved they would then begin negotiations with take two. I have to imagine take two would have at least mentioned the idea of being open to an acquisition also. It's a lot of fucking money and the fact it's reached board level discussion means it's being taken seriously. whether the rumor is true is a different story.

for everyone else: was there talk in Sony's last investor call about them looking at maybe acquiring some companies?

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
Even if this were true, I don't see any of the major T2 IPs going exclusive.
Which brings up the question of why do it in the first place.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Please don't happen. Rockstar is the producer and developer of the best selling and highest rated games of the past 3 game generations. I worry somehow their formula may get screwed with.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting the plot twist where this is just a rumor and then Microsoft turns around and buys them. At least the games wouldn't be in a walled garden and still come to PC

Doesn't really make sense for Microsoft either unless they continue to release on Playstation. Buying Take Two or EA or other big publishers like Ubisoft makes no sense to one holder and limit releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.