• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2019
Oh yeah that's a good point! If Sony and Konami collab I hope a talented team can remaster MGS4 with 4K/60FPS, it'll be a treat for me as I loved that game.

On topic Bluepoint nailed their past games, but I hope they can experiment a bit with a long gone IP, it's a bit disappointing they didn't make the 6th Archstone in Demon's Souls, would have been interesting to see.

I would've loved that too (I have no nostalgic attachment to the game), but the Demon's Souls threads are already insufferable due to the people whining about the aesthetic and creature designs. I can't imagine how awful the threads would be if BP took the liberty to add new content lol

Oct 24, 2019
y'all realize that tweet is a joke, right

Sure, but that doesn't mean there can't be a kernel of truth to it. They did tease Demon's Souls in that tweet after all, they just obfuscated it with tons of red herrings.

If somehow the "two projects, not one" thing was true (I don't think it is since their team is only 90 people), then it's not crazy to think that one of the other references is more than just a joke.

I suppose it's a moot point though since I doubt BP will have had anything else concurrently in development given their small size, unless it's like 3 guys doing pre-production lol. Regardless, will probably be another 2-3 years before they release their next game, whatever it is

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I could see as happening soon rather than 3 years is Bluepoint handling a PS5 patch for Bloodborne that makes it run at 4k/60 with proper physics calculations per frame but no other changes.

There's almost certainly a second project under way already but it'll be years.

Oct 25, 2017
"Not one but two" doesn't necessarily mean that they are making two games at the same time. Maybe Sony made a deal with them for the next two games, first Demon's Souls, after that some other game. If it's a real hint. And that's a big if.

Here's what I could see happening for Bluepoint: they have began working on their next remake project (looking at the game code and seeing where game systems are). During the development they will hire writers and designers etc. for their own game (either new or existing IP) and that's what they plan to make after the next remake has been finished.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
From are currently doing Elden Ring which will probably be an open world Souls-y game.

Yeah, I know From is working on Elden Ring, which is why I said "whenever their schedule clears up." They may be too busy to make a Demon's Souls sequel themselves, so I figured Japan Studios and Bluepoint could collaborate on a sequel, considering that I'm expecting Demon's Souls to do really well commercially, and I doubt Sony will want to miss out on having another big IP this time around.

Subsequent Soulsborne games expanding the niche/taking the formula mainstream played a big role in the remake getting made. Sony were sitting on a gem that million of Fromsoft fans hadn't played. There's nothing about inFamous that makes me think it has the same kind of audience waiting for it - it's a bog standard/generic super hero sandbox that wouldn't stand up placed next to similar modern games like Spider-Man.

Funnily enough Bloodborne and Shadow of the Colossus seem pretty dormant right now. I think Sony know getting B teams to make sequels to those kind of legendary games is a bad idea.

Yes, I'm aware of the history of the Soulsborne genre. Demon's Souls was very niche (I bought the Chinese import copy because it hadn't released here in the States yet, then I bought the US version to play with friends when it did). Like I said in my previous post, the genre didn't really explode until Dark Souls released, and was multi-platform, thus opening it up to a wider audience (and was a more polished game than Demon's Souls, though had its fair share of performance issues). A lot of gamers missed out on Demon's Souls, so Dark Souls was their chance to hop in. It was also a great game, and here we are, with the Soulslike genre being massive.

And again, I disagree on the inFAMOUS series. It's a highly enjoyable open world superhero series that has been well received both critically, commercially, and by many gamers that have played them. I can't find up to date sales numbers on the games, but they did rather well for themselves, with each one selling at least 1 million copies upon release (not sure about LTD numbers). Sucker Punch is a small studio, and the budgets for the inFAMOUS games aren't Uncharted tier. And considering that we got 3 titles in the series, plus 2 spin-offs implies that they did well enough for Sony to continue supporting them until Sucker Punch branched out with Ghost of Tsushima. The point is that it's a well regarded series among PlayStation fans, and a Remake of either the first or the second by Bluepoint would no doubt be excellent. Ghost of Tsushima has boosted Sucker Punch's profile considerably, so I'm sure some gamers that missed out on their previous works might be intrigued by a high quality Remake of those titles.

I recently replayed the 3 mainline games leading up to the launch of Ghost of Tsushima, so they're all very fresh in my mind, and the gameplay holds up very, very well. In particular inFAMOUS 2, which has some excellent gameplay thanks to the mix of Cole's Electric, Ice, and Fire powers.

There's no way Shadow of the Colossus would get a sequel. Why would it? It's not that kind of IP. Bloodborne, on the other hand, could very well get a sequel, because it's one of the most highly regarded of the From Soulslike titles, and fans have been clamoring for a sequel for years. Demon's Souls fans have also been clamoring for a sequel for years, and this Remake was a great way for the IP to be reintroduced to gamers, and return it to the public eye. Bloodborne doesn't have that issue of being dormant for over a decade, so I think the case with us not getting a sequel is simply because From Software has had their hands full with the Dark Souls series, and now Elden Ring.

A talented dev team could more than make a quality sequel to Bloodborne. Japan Studios consistently gets underestimated in terms of their talent and contributions to some of the most beloved games in PlayStation history, including Shadow of the Colossus and Bloodborne. A single individual doesn't determine the quality of a game. It's a joint effort by dozens, even hundreds of talented developers. I see this a lot in gaming communities where many of these "legendary" games are attributed to the "singular vision" of a particular individual or designer, when it is a highly collaborative effort.

Japan Studio's resume is impressive as hell. All that experience doesn't just go away because some gamers put a particular game director's work on a pedestal. Miyazaki is no doubt a talented and creative individual, but he didn't create Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne in a vacuum. It was the combined efforts of himself, and the team at From and Japan Studios that brought us Demon's Souls and Bloodborne (speaking only of the PlayStation titles). It's simply false to assume that another talented ("talented" being the key word) studio couldn't build off of what came before to make quality sequels to both Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
Yeah, I know From is working on Elden Ring, which is why I said "whenever their schedule clears up." They may be too busy to make a Demon's Souls sequel themselves, so I figured Japan Studios and Bluepoint could collaborate on a sequel, considering that I'm expecting Demon's Souls to do really well commercially, and I doubt Sony will want to miss out on having another big IP this time around.
Souls 2 would be an interesting idea for sure.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Souls 2 would be an interesting idea for sure.

I think the world is definitely intriguing enough and mysterious enough to be expanded on in a sequel. I think with the original, we barely really got to see much of Boletaria, and I'm sure there are other fascinating locations to explore for a sequel. I think it's more a matter of what team has the bandwidth to undertake such an endeavor. I think the success of this remake almost guarantees that Sony is looking into options for a potential followup. Doesn't mean it will actually come to fruition, but I bet discussions are being had about the future of the IP.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
lol, what if they really are doing a set remake of both MGS1 and 2. I looked at their tweet again from October 2019 or whatever and

So calm this spooky night. A symphony of rumors - not one, but two - return from shadow.
- Not one but two games?

A resistance to dart home as black monsters escape twisted hills to wander lands and syphon souls.
-
Demons Souls was done.

Filter your candy collections, soft from solid, and be eco-friendly. Have a metal Halloween.
- I think the second is Metal Gear Solid. A dramatic shift from the genre of Demons Souls. Stealth, action and a different type of story.

. One referenced Souls. And while it referenced other IPs, the Souls one happened. The second sentence remains.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, what if they really are doing a set remake of both MGS1 and 2. I looked at their tweet again from October 2019 or whatever and

So calm this spooky night. A symphony of rumors - not one, but two - return from shadow.
- Not one but two games?

A resistance to dart home as black monsters escape twisted hills to wander lands and syphon souls.
-
Demons Souls was done.

Filter your candy collections, soft from solid, and be eco-friendly. Have a metal Halloween.
- I think the second is Metal Gear Solid. A dramatic shift from the genre of Demons Souls. Stealth, action and a different type of story.

. One referenced Souls. And while it referenced other IPs, the Souls one happened. The second sentence remains.

You are looking for things that font exist. Prior to that tweet everyone was saying BLUEPOINT ARE REMAKING X

They were making Demon's Souls. All the hiring was around that one game. Anything else is desperately looking for something that isn't there

squall12

Sep 11, 2018
Jusk asking if sony and bluepoint wanted to do demon soul 2 do they have to get permission from fromsoft?

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

- Not one but two games?

-
Demons Souls was done.

The tweet was a piss take and you missed like 80% of the references in it. It's just all the games that people thought they might be working on last year.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I understood that the tweet is a meme of everything folks suggested. I've been following it same as you. Didn't jump into appreciating their work this week.

I'm just speculating for fun because they are definitely doing something now that Demons Souls is done. I would personally want it to be a genre of shooter, like Resistance, Socom, etc. (As I also mentioned earlier in the thread).

That previous comment was a fun take because we are excited about the next thing too. Hopefully IMO it is an unexpected thing.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I wonder if they could dedicate a small team within Bluepoint to patch 1st party PS4 games for Pro/PS5.

Just set a baseline standard (like 60fps and checkerboard 4k) for first party titles, and then let Bluepoint get to work implementing these small changes on any reasonably significant games that never received Pro patches (Bloodborne and Killzone: Shadow Fall come to mind). They seem like the perfect studio to do this if the original studios can't/won't, given their experience up to this point.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
all the references in that tweet I could personally pick out, in order

so calm [SOCOM]
night #
symphony # [castlevania: symphony of the night]
shadow [of the colossus, maybe shadow moses]
resistance
black*
escape [ape escape]
twisted*
hills [silent hills]
wander [SotC]
syphon^
souls
filter^
"soft from" [Fromsoft]
collection [MGS, Ico/SoTC, GoW and Uncharted collections]
solid [MGS]
eco-friendly [Ico]
metal* [twisted metal black, perhaps MGS]

The "not one, but two" thing is very specifically worded to me, might be a reference. Dart, who knows. I'm gonna defer to the Dragoon-heads out there.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
all the references in that tweet I could personally pick out, in order

so calm [SOCOM]
symphony [of the night? probably not]
shadow [of the colossus, maybe shadow moses]
resistance [self explanatory]
black*
twisted*
wander [SotC]
syphon^
souls [self explanatory]
filter^
"soft from" [Fromsoft]
collection [MGS,Ico/SoTC, GoW and Uncharted collections]
solid [MGS]
eco-friendly [Ico]
metal*

The "not one, but two" thing is very specifically worded to me, might be a reference. Dart, who knows. I'm gonna defer to the Dragoon-heads out there.

They were basically just making a joke by listing every single thing they saw people on Era theorizing that they should remake.

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be dumb if they didn't try to acquire them. Bluepoint Games are really talented at what they do. I would love for them to make more remakes of classic titles that I never got to play.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
It's certainly possible that From does have to sign off on a sequel, even though Sony owns the IP.
no they don't....From was contracted by Sony to develop Demon's Souls....From has no ownership of Demon's Souls (and Bloodborne).

I can't believe i have to explain to people what is the role of a contractor.

Do Nintendo needs to ask Namco Bandai & Sakurai to sign off a new Super Smash Bros Sequel? /S

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Does it matter if the poster is Swedish or not? Feels irrelevant to need to mention that personally.
What's the point of bringing up his nationality? Is he less of a trusted source because of where he was born perhaps? I'm really curious to whether the reason is pure xenophobia or something else.

Oh God, didn't realize Marsipan was the the OP too, now I feel dumb. And I'm just kidding, I'm swedish as well.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Nice there is hope sony can make a sequel out of demon soul with the help of bluepoint since they do the remake and most certainly have knowledge or idea to start the sequel.

making the remake it will not make you can create games like FROM in the same level design , world , connection ..etc
this why FROM is very special studio in the industry
if it was easy like that we should have seen a lot of studios did the same level of FROM
but we didn't

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
making the remake it will not make you can create games like FROM in the same level design , world , connection ..etc
this why FROM is very special studio in the industry
if it was easy like that we should have seen a lot of studios did the same level of FROM
but we didn't

FROM is special but it's not the alpha and omega.....

i love From software but i'm absolutely abhorrent about From software 'stanning'.

As i said before, if other studios and developers can develop Mario, Zelda and Metroid games without the involvement of the original creators/development studios, then anyone can create sequels to anything without the involvement of the original studios.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
FROM is special but it's not the alpha and omega.....

i love From software but i'm absolutely abhorrent about From software 'stanning'.

As i said before, if other studios and developers can develop Mario, Zelda and Metroid games without the involvement of the original creators/development studios, then anyone can create sequels to anything without the involvement of the original studios.

i think its better to make dlc for demon souls first
they have the chance to fix the broken archstone and make it dlc
and see if they are good or not
imo this good start for them

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens to Bluepoint, I hope they get the chance to do their own original game and are not tied to remakes forever.
(Unless it's a 60fps Bloodborne remake with the graphical quality of the De S remake)

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia

I would have pegged "eco-friendly" as more of a finger point at Jak and Daxter, which has a substance called "eco" as one of its narrative cruxes, but it could be Ico too I guess

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever happens to Bluepoint, I hope they get the chance to do their own original game and are not tied to remakes forever.
(Unless it's a 60fps Bloodborne remake with the graphical quality of the De S remake)
One of the few games I would be interested in them remaking! Absolutely yes.

Regarding Demon's Souls 2: Actually, now that Dark Souls is done and From have moved on to Elden Ring, I could see a world where Sony want to fill the Dark Souls void with another Souls game. It's not impossible.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Regarding Demon's Souls 2: Actually, now that Dark Souls is done and From have moved on to Elden Ring, I could see a world where Sony want to fill the Dark Souls void with another Souls game. It's not impossible.
I think it depends on how far Elden Ring departs from the Souls formula, if it moves further away from it than Sekiro then I could see that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.