• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Infamous was a nice game but it's in no way a classic like SOTC or Demon's Souls.
I think for Sony to greenlight such a remake project it has to have that kind of status.

I disagree.

I think the inFAMOUS series is in the same category as Demon's Souls in terms of being a PlayStation series that has done well for itself both critically and commercially. Demon's Souls didn't exactly light the world on fire back then, but it did find a very dedicated fanbase. A lot of PlayStation gamers passed on Demon's Souls when it released. It wasn't until Dark Souls released that the Soulslike genre really blew up.

Shadow of the Colossus is in a league of its own.

Demon's Souls on PS5, however, is about to change things for the IP. Hopefully it will reinvigorate it, and we'll get more entries whenever From's schedule frees up. If not, maybe Japan Studios and Bluepoint will produce a sequel one day. I can't imagine Sony letting it go dormant after this one was received so well.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
If Demon's Souls was Bluepoints test then maybe Returnal is Housemarque.

Sony tends to make their developers start small and then gives them the budget to pull-off major blockbusters.

Look at Bend Studio. After Syphon Filter they were basically making portable games until their AAA title Days Gone.

Now they have a bigger team and more money for their next project.

That's Sony's way to expand studios.

At the end of the PS3 gen we had Naughty Dog. At the end of the PS4 gen we have at least 6 or 7 other studios at that level.
It's insane how much their studios evolved in a single generation.

TrojanBlade

Oct 30, 2017
If they buy them, my wish is that they give them the TO: 1886 IP and let them do their magic. I am confident they can revision the game and fix the shortcoming of that game for a proper sequel. Image that game 4K/60 fps. One of the best looking game last gen.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I don't believe that at all. Actually what people don't realize is that making Remakes is actually more difficult than creating a new game from scratch.

You have to keep everything you made constrained and limited to the scope of the previous game. Your artists and Game Designers cannot go too far from the original even if they have great vision and ideas.

Bluepoint is ready to take a new challenge with the quality of their artists and the amazing tech they have in-house. I cannot wait to see what they have in store for us after Demon's Souls Remake.

I hope you're right, but I'm basing this more off of a similar studio in Sony Bend. They made great portable titles on PSP and Vita, and then Days Gone alone took them four to five years to develop. It's release was a bit rocky, but found its footing after some patches. I expect the sequel to be a huge step up for them, and possibly a GOTY contender.

I'd assume Bluepoint will follow a similar path. Their next game will probably launch later in the PS5 lifecycle, before their GOTY contender launches in the life of the PS6.

Phoenix Down

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Blue point is probably the most unique AAA developer in the Industry. Sony love cherry picking devs with consistently.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I disagree.

I think the inFAMOUS series is in the same category as Demon's Souls in terms of being a PlayStation series that has done well for itself both critically and commercially. Demon's Souls didn't exactly light the world on fire back then, but it did find a very dedicated fanbase. A lot of PlayStation gamers passed on Demon's Souls when it released. It wasn't until Dark Souls released that the Soulslike genre really blew up.

Demon's Souls on PS5, however, is about to change things for the IP. Hopefully it will reinvigorate it, and we'll get more entries whenever From's schedule frees up. If not, maybe Japan Studios and Bluepoint will produce a sequel one day. I can't imagine Sony letting it go dormant after this one was received so well.

I'm not too sure about that. The pedigree of From Software, the Souls moniker and it being the first of it all has a lot going for it than Infamous, which had 3 games (4 if you count its standalone) vs Demon's Souls. A game which not only spawned the Dark Souls trilogy but also elevated From Software from a middling developer to a top tier one with further titles like Bloodborne and Sekiro. Not to mention influence a whole generation of games through its asynchronous multiplayer and trusting the players skill level and intelligence to make it through.

Bluepoint had the chance to leave their mark on Demon's Souls with the 6th archstone or even fixing some of the quirks of the original but they didn't. They chose to keep the game as faithful as possible for this hardcore fanbase. Sure there's the possibility of having it as an expansion, but its very unlikely Sony and Bluepoint would work on a direct sequel to Demon's Souls unless From Software are involved in any way shape or form. Especially Miyazaki, and when he's not involved the fans dismiss the title like Dark Souls 2.

Besides, they've mentioned that they want to work on an original IP themselves and they've deserved it. Their pedigree of making remasters (God of War, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid) to making remakes (Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls) says it all. They've earned it.

Both Housemarque and Bluepoint are going through their final test right now, (which Bluepoint seemed to have passed with flying colors). Something that Ready At Dawn unfortunately failed at last generation.

PilavStation

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 12, 2020
I disagree.

inFamous sold much more than Demon Souls and played more also I think.
Yeah a remake could do wonders and since it seems they wont do a sequel to inFamous any time soon , remake of 1 (and maybe 2 ? ) could do wonders. Those city with RTX , all lightning effects etc could look awesome as hell

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
segmentnext.com

Bluepoint Games Talks About Importance of Remakes and Remasters

In an era where remastering classic video game titles has become a genre on its own, there are studios that have established their name by modernizing our

Bluepoint Games are not giving up on remasters and remakes anytime soon.

The pervasive narrative that Bluepoint is somehow "stuck" doing remakes is really annoying, honestly. It's all over in this thread. They take a lot of pride in what they do and there's nobody that does the job better than them. They're not a lesser studio for it.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The pervasive narrative that Bluepoint is somehow "stuck" doing remakes is really annoying, honestly. It's all over in this thread. They take a lot of pride in what they do and there's nobody that does the job better than them. They're not a lesser studio for it.

"But they aren't able to make real games" takes are so disrespectful, like they just took DS and switched it to 4K/60fps.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
If they buy them, my wish is that they give them the TO: 1886 IP and let them do their magic. I am confident they can revision the game and fix the shortcoming of that game for a proper sequel. Image that game 4K/60 fps. One of the best looking game last gen.
The order's issue wasn't the visuals or performance, it was the dull game design and wasted potential in regards to how cool the setting/ lore could have been if expanded on properly (those QTE bosses were a shame). Bluepoint so far has only done "new coat of paint" remakes, they never touched the core gameplay underneath, and that's what the order needs, a complete reamagining, not just a new shiny haircut.

IMHO, it's sad such a cool setting was used to make a dull TPS with uninspired QTEs, this game need a reboot a la GOW and to include other supernatural elements beyond werewolves (vampires were not used at all beyond corpses if i remember correctly)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
inFamous sold much more than Demon Souls and played more also I think.
Yeah a remake could do wonders and since it seems they wont do a sequel to inFamous any time soon , remake of 1 (and maybe 2 ? ) could do wonders. Those city with RTX , all lightning effects etc could look awesome as hell

Yeah, exactly!

inFAMOUS 1 sold significantly more than Demon's Souls at the time. That's not a knock against Demon's Souls, but it seems like there's some rewriting of history to put Demon's on a much higher pedestal than it was back then. It was most certainly well received by many gamers that gave it a shot, but as far as widespread commercial appeal, it was pretty niche. By comparison, inFAMOUS and its sequel were much more broadly appealing to gamer, and its critical and commercial success reflects that. Demon's Souls was a harder sell at the time.

It wasn't until Namco published Dark Souls, that the genre really exploded, and then, in hindsight, more gamers became interested/intrigued by the game that "started it all", but by then, it wasn't particularly easy to get a hold of (no digital release, if I remember correctly).

Demon's Souls is still my favorite of the Souls series (with the exception of Bloodborne), and now I'm super glad that more people can now play the excellent remake. I think a Bluepoint remake of inFAMOUS 1 and 2 would be huge, and totally fits with the types of games Bluepoint targets for Remasters and Remakes. In their engine, it would look phenomenal.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So why did the OP have to agree to a ban if this doesn't pan out? Is there some rule against sharing rumors that I've somehow not known about all these years?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017

Yep, it's a pretty garbage sentiment. As someone committed to the Xbox ecosystem for next-gen, I'd love to see Microsoft have an equivalent studio making beautiful remakes of classics from the XGS library (now more than ever with all the new additions). Alas, there's no one like Bluepoint out there. It would be a wise move by Sony to bring them permanently into the fold.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
I disagree.

From are currently doing Elden Ring which will probably be an open world Souls-y game.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wait. So why did the OP have to agree to a ban if this doesn't pan out? Is there some rule against sharing rumors that I've somehow not known about all these years?
It was enforced a lot more on the old site, to where it was pretty much how all insiders were held to it (though some managed to keep up the act for years), but this isn't the first time someone has put their account on the line with a rumour. Happened with DMC5 too.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
inFAMOUS 1 sold significantly more than Demon's Souls at the time. That's not a knock against Demon's Souls, but it seems like there's some rewriting of history to put Demon's on a much higher pedestal than it was back then. It was most certainly well received by many gamers that gave it a shot, but as far as widespread commercial appeal, it was pretty niche. By comparison, inFAMOUS and its sequel were much more broadly appealing to gamer, and its critical and commercial success reflects that. Demon's Souls was a harder sell at the time.

It wasn't until Namco published Dark Souls, that the genre really exploded, and then, in hindsight, more gamers became interested/intrigued by the game that "started it all", but by then, it wasn't particularly easy to get a hold of (no digital release, if I remember correctly).

Demon's Souls is still my favorite of the Souls series (with the exception of Bloodborne), and now I'm super glad that more people can now play the excellent remake. I think a Bluepoint remake of inFAMOUS 1 and 2 would be huge, and totally fits with the types of games Bluepoint targets for Remasters and Remakes. In their engine, it would look phenomenal.

Subsequent Soulsborne games expanding the niche/taking the formula mainstream played a big role in the remake getting made. Sony were sitting on a gem that million of Fromsoft fans hadn't played. There's nothing about inFamous that makes me think it has the same kind of audience waiting for it - it's a bog standard/generic super hero sandbox that wouldn't stand up placed next to similar modern games like Spider-Man.

Funnily enough Bloodborne and Shadow of the Colossus seem pretty dormant right now. I think Sony know getting B teams to make sequels to those kind of legendary games is a bad idea.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe their next project could be a not-1:1-remake? This way they could both capitalize on their strenghts as well as try their hands at some more creative work.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
It's just a reference to this.

Which in itself is an amalgamation of their requested remakes.

Lance was tweeting out previously unknown info about the Demon's Souls remake before it came out. It looks like he's got a contact in Sony/Bluepoint off the back of his modding work and has heard stuff so this is not 'just' a reference, more a strong hint.

Eden-prime

May 21, 2020
I would lose my shit if they're able to remake 2 games within a span of 3 years. I highly doubt it though.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
I need them to remake this:
gn8XP1w.gif

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Fam, please stop over analyzing shit. Bluepoint game only has 90 people, they just finished working on their biggest project ever, and obviously they don't have the bandwidth to be working on multiple projects. Please don't be so naive. I don't want y'all to be all hyped and excited, only to have y'all hearts broken. Level your expectations so that you don't get let down.

-Amon-

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From what i know Bluepoint is a phenomenal developer in porting existing games to new platforms.

Making new ones is a different story.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Sony tends to make their developers start small and then gives them the budget to pull-off major blockbusters.

Look at Bend Studio. After Syphon Filter they were basically making portable games until their AAA title Days Gone.

Now they have a bigger team and more money for their next project.

That's Sony's way to expand studios.

At the end of the PS3 gen we had Naughty Dog. At the end of the PS4 gen we have at least 6 or 7 other studios at that level.
It's insane how much their studios evolved in a single generation.

If RAD had got a hit with Order 1886 they would have been with Sony instead of Facebook. Pretty sad turn of events there..

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm sorry guys but the Infamous ip is a cool idea that's ultimately very bland imo.
While the mechanics are cool the stories and missions are nothing to remember and it got less exciting with every entry.

Demon's Souls was something nobody expected and most people didn't try it but its critical success gave birth to a critically acclaimed franchise and spawned a lot of inspired games, it started a trend. Infamous lived and died in its own world.

Oct 24, 2019
All I'm seeing is

'Resistance'
'Syphon Filter'
'Twisted Metal'
'`From Soft'
'DART' OMG

Aside from the ones you mentioned, there are also nods to:

-SOCOM ("so calm")
-Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
-Silent Hill
-Demon's Souls
-Metal Gear Solid
-Jak & Daxter ("eco-friendly")
-ICO ("eco-friendly" = Ico-friendly)
-Shadow of the Colossus ("shadow" and "wander")
-Ape Escape

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about MGS 4 lately and how it's a shame that it's the only MGS still locked to its original platform. Maybe it will come alongside a MGS V remaster for the new console generation

Oh yeah that's a good point! If Sony and Konami collab I hope a talented team can remaster MGS4 with 4K/60FPS, it'll be a treat for me as I loved that game.

On topic Bluepoint nailed their past games, but I hope they can experiment a bit with a long gone IP, it's a bit disappointing they didn't make the 6th Archstone in Demon's Souls, would have been interesting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.