• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
How much you guys think it would cost? U$40~60 million? Just for comparison, Insomniac cost was U$230 million, but they have two studios, somes IPs and almost 300 employes.
Tops 80 million. Insomniac at least came with SOME IPs, and a much longer resume, currently developing multiple key PS francises, and triple the amount of devs. Bluepoint is pennies for Sony... even Housemarque is probably more expensive at this point (I think they are around 100 devs by now)

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
This is a Playground Games kind of scenario. Maybe not the most exciting thing for most people but it means they can finally do their own projects and not mostly be known for doing really good remasters for Sony consoles like they are now.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Sony is pretty smart how they do acquisitions by usually choosing studios they already work with almost exclusively. There's no blow back from the public.

Oct 27, 2017
1. I am not bothered by who is purchased. I look at it as business as usual. I stated this here and here. I have echoed these sentiments elsewhere too on this very forum.

2. A purchase is a purchase. The only people that make this distinction are people on this forum. Every purchase is geared towards getting talent and/or IP. Or in some cases, the IP alone. Every publisher acquires these be it Nintendo with Monolith and the Xeno series, or Sony getting Insomniac alongside the Sunset Overdrive IP, and sometimes, it is just straight up talent acquisition.

3. We do not need to prove this.

I don't even know why you're responding to me at this point or what it has to do with what I said. The Bethesda purchase and the Bluepoint purchase are not equivalent, so as I said before and has been explained by other people, being okay with one and disliking the other does not automatically make someone a hypocrite. You're just waffling and playing whataboutism at the moment which isn't relevant to what I said.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I mean, Demon's Souls start up with the Playstation Studios logo and everything.
That doesn't mean anything, when the PlayStation Studios branding was announced Sony confirmed all games of which they manage production will have the branding, regardless of who owns the studio developing the game. Destruction AllStars will also have the branding, doesn't mean Sony owns or is about to acquire Lucid Games.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe there are people in here that are seriously equating this to MS acquiring Zenimax. Absurd.

1) This is equivalent to MS buying Bethesda (and only forum fanboys care about the distinction that Bethesda is a global multiplatform publisher while Bluepoint is a mid-sized indie dev who mostly only works with Sony anyway)
2) But what about that time Sony bought Psygnosis (never mind that was 27 years ago). They've both done it, so Sony Too™!

Might be some other diamonds I have missed.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Massive lol at all the false equivalencies thrown around. Console warriors gonna war, I guess, especially when it makes no sense. If Sony buys Square Enix or Capcom you can pull out your little victim complex and go "bu-bu-but what about Bethesda" (completely ignoring that a lot of people would be very negative about those if they happened) but comparing Bluepoint to Bethesda? lol fuck off.

Anyway, if you look at almost all of Sony's acquisitions over the last 20 years they've come after multi-year relationships where the developer has proven to be a reliable partner, so I have no problem believing this rumour. It makes a lot of sense.

It'll be really interesting to see where Bluepoint go from here, a Bloodborne remaster is definitely number one on my list of wants and I'm intrigued to see what they'd do with a new IP. WIth most studios you kinda get an impression of where their interests lie beforehand but Bluepoint are such a blank slate that any direction they decide on would be a surprise.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh man that'd be great!

When I think of the previous titles they've done HD Remasters and Remakes of, the majority are 3rd person action/adventure games, so I just think inFAMOUS would be the perfect fit for them. The only thing I'd hope they keep are the awesome comic book style cutscenes punctuating some of the flashbacks and other story beats. They can completely remake everything else from the ground up. lol

Kira

Oct 28, 2017
Just break the news already sony. On a similar note, I hope Returnal will be critically and commercially successful. Housemarque needs to join WWS family !

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Ahem.... Let me put on my robe and mod hat:

We've spoken with MarsipanRumpan and while they may have sources, they weren't able to provide any concrete evidence to support these claims. So take it with a grain of salt. MarsipanRumpan is posting this at their own risk and has agreed to accept a ban if these don't pan out by 2/28/2021.

What happens if the acquisition happens AFTER 2/28/2021?

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved for BluePoint and a long time coming. I hope they get to create something of their own soon.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
When I think of the previous titles they've done HD Remasters and Remakes of, the majority are 3rd person action/adventure games, so I just think inFAMOUS would be the perfect fit for them. The only thing I'd hope they keep are the awesome comic book style cutscenes punctuating some of the flashbacks and other story beats. They can completely remake everything else from the ground up. lol

Infamous was a nice game but it's in no way a classic like SOTC or Demon's Souls.
I think for Sony to greenlight such a remake project it has to have that kind of status.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I hope BP does a remake of The Last of Us for the 10th anniversary.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
How much you guys think it would cost? U$40~60 million? Just for comparison, Insomniac cost was U$230 million, but they have two studios, somes IPs and almost 300 employes.

100mil tops. Blue point should ask for a higher price like this since they knocked it out the park with the new DS. Sony supposedly saved some money with the 950mil deal for crunchyroll, think it was initially around 1.5bn starting price, so they can splash out BP.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
If we're just spitballing, I'd really like Bluepoint to have a go at a dormant PS1 IP like.... colony wars.
Something like that might give them some freedom to go beyond the original game and possibly do something on the narrative side too ahead of creating their IP.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
This is a Playground Games kind of scenario. Maybe not the most exciting thing for most people but it means they can finally do their own projects and not mostly be known for doing really good remasters for Sony consoles like they are now.
And who told you they couldn't do something new or want to now?

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
hopefully if this rumor is true they can develop their own ip and lose that rep of being only a remaster/remake studio...

manuvlad

Mar 26, 2019
I think Sony can buy them and make them a studio that can handle two projects at a time. So they can keep doing these amazing remakes masterpieces and try to create their own IP as well.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
Don't believe one second for these rumors anymore. The entire 2020 has been about PS5 rumors and other Sony related stuff that haven't happened.

Sorry OP, but this doesn't make sense when Bluepoint Games is untested for game development from the ground up and Jim Ryan recently said they are not rushing studio acquisitions. Bluepoint might be masters of remasters and remakes but they have proved nothing for an original IP.

Plus Sony doesn't let this stuff leak out so easy when they kept PS5 stuff close to their chest until it was unveiled.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Wouldn't shock me. They're still probably another ten years away from making a New IP new game of their own that is a GOTY contender, but they're a solid studio. Lots of upside, probably not the most expensive acquisition either.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
If we're just spitballing, I'd really like Bluepoint to have a go at a dormant PS1 IP like.... colony wars.
Something like that might give them some freedom to go beyond the original game and possibly do something on the narrative side too ahead of creating their IP.

nicholson.gif

f50.gif

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
IF Bluepoint does another remake I think they should do something which at least gives them the opportunity post-launch to add original content, I honestly think they and Sony should already consider making a 6th archstone DLC for Demon's Souls.

Nine_Ball

Jun 12, 2020
They're still probably another ten years away from making a New IP new game of their own

I don't believe that at all. Actually what people don't realize is that making Remakes is actually more difficult than creating a new game from scratch.

You have to keep everything you made constrained and limited to the scope of the previous game. Your artists and Game Designers cannot go too far from the original even if they have great vision and ideas.

Bluepoint is ready to take a new challenge with the quality of their artists and the amazing tech they have in-house. I cannot wait to see what they have in store for us after Demon's Souls Remake.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Don't believe one second for these rumors anymore. The entire 2020 has been about PS5 rumors and other Sony related stuff that haven't happened.

Sorry OP, but this doesn't make sense when Bluepoint Games is untested for game development from the ground up and Jim Ryan recently said they are not rushing studio acquisitions. Bluepoint might be masters of remasters and remakes but they have proved nothing for an original IP.

Plus Sony doesn't let this stuff leak out so easy when they kept PS5 stuff close to their chest until it was unveiled.

Demon's Souls is made from the ground up, not a remaster.

Housemarque is making their first AAA game with Sony backing now, BP wouldn't be different.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

Lol. First of all.. Bluepoint games consists of veteran developers. These guys have worked on everything from God of War to Metroid Prime Everything they've done has been top notch. Half the battle is making shit look good and playable, another third is delivery. They can easily make their own ip and have their own engine.

What a ridiculous statement.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This would be great for Sony and I would love it if HouseMarque was next. If not then at least give me Resogun 2.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
This would be great for Sony and I would love it if HouseMarque was next. If not then at least give me Resogun 2.

Sony does seem to do the same for all their studio acquisitions.
A few successful games in a row and then they buy those studios.

Probably Bluepoint next and as you said Housemarque.

Status
Not open for further replies.