• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well it makes sense. They have a close relationship with Sony already.

Im not sure I even want them making new ips though. They're one of the best at what they do, and it would be worth Sony having a brilliant remake/remaster studio. I guess I'd they want to then let them, but it would be a shame for them to stop doing what they're best at.

Oct 25, 2017
If true, hope they'll keep some independence while getting to enjoy the security and backing of first party life. The brains behind them with business plan and trajectory will probably be in hot demand, going from nothing to acquisition in 15 years all while seeming rather stable is good going.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me, but is there some reason to believe they would stop making Playstation exclusives if they remained independent? Why would Sony purchase them instead of just continuing to contract with them?

If they purchase them it allows Bluepoint some further security and would allow them to increase in size and scope, which would obviously benefit both parties. If they were to continue to contract there would always be a caution that any game could be their last that was funded by sony and they might have to downsize or go looking elsewhere for a publisher. Though I would be incredibly surprised if they didn't quickly find another publisher if that did occur.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense to me. They have a solid track record, already have a good working relationship, and their technology is top-tier.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Would be funny if MS buys them out of spite of Sony...j/k

But seriously, you can see their talent on Dark Souls on the PS5 and previous titles. If Sony buys them, let them make a new game...

Oct 27, 2017
FYI OP's username translates to Marzipan Ass and I lol'd

Sucks for people missing out on whatever original IP they might create, but it makes sense in that they've been working with Sony since Churchill wore knickers in school.

herminihildo

Oct 30, 2017
Actually, I have no clue xD I guess so if it's a short timeframe afterward? As I said in a previous post, they were willing to give me more time (Like April-may) but I declined to say I thought it'd happen before February 28th.

We'll hope for the best. BP really deserves it and are very talented. And the partnership with Sony is very good. The points you you mentioned in the OP are solid.

I will be stoked to see them work on their own IP.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I mean it's not like it's a huge get.
They've only done PlayStation exclusives for the last 5-10 years.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I'd miss you even more. It's basically my second home lol. Daily routine is going to the Playstation OT like 600 times a day. :P

I trust this source, don't think I'll be banned. :)
source.gif

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
That would make sense if so. I'd be interested to see their own IP too.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Bluepoint is already an excellent studio with tech wizards in their ranks.

But the potential for this studio is even bigger.

Would be a great pick up for both, Sony and Bluepoint.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Well it makes sense. They have a close relationship with Sony already.

Im not sure I even want them making new ips though. They're one of the best at what they do, and it would be worth Sony having a brilliant remake/remaster studio. I guess I'd they want to then let them, but it would be a shame for them to stop doing what they're best at.
I would say that it is possible for them to do both, Demon's Souls, excluding outsourcing(that will continue to happen regardless of acquisition), was done by 90 people! They would grow a lot with this.
A New I.P team and a remake team isn't impossible.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Demon's Souls is about to kill it, is what I take from this. A project so good and smooth, that Sony's finally buying the studio.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why some people being obtuse in comparing this situation with Zenimax acquisition🤦‍♂️
This would be more like if MS acquired Asobo, no one would complain because it is a small-ish studio and with a long relationship with the company.

Oh, yeah some people desliked the overall tone of the atmosphere but nothing too extreme I think(and the game has a filter similar to the PS2 game), I think the biggest complain and something almost unanimous was Wander's face.
Wander.jpg
Gotcha. Not too bad. Ideally, I'd love for the PS3 remake to have been included as a bonus. I still own the PS3 remaster and have my original PS2 copy.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To be honest, this was more of a when than an if. Still, good call, Sony & Bluepoint.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
If the source is on the development team, I'd be nervous. Acquisitions, especially if one party is a public company, usually have a ton of intra-company secrecy for legal reasons, and usually kept to the management team. This could be an intra-company rumor that has gotten to your ears but a lot of those don't always pan out. Now if your source is on the executive management team, you can feel more better about this rumor.

Now that said, Bluepoint does have a long relationship with Sony so it is one of the more plausible ones.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
People need to let the BB2/DeS2 by Bluepoint dream die. They're gonna make their own IP. I doubt they want their first full on creation to be in a series created by another Dev with extremely picky fans.

That shit is not gonna happen. Sony would be stupid to put that sort of pressure on them.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder if they would possibly grow to two teams: A remake team and an original game team. It would be weird to buy a studio known for high quality remakes and then have them only do something completely different, but at the same time I can see Bluepoint *wanting* that opportunity.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The tone of this thread is so different from the other acquisition threads. Never change ERA

I'm pretty sure if Sony was buying out Square-Enix or Capcom or whatever, there would be as much of an uproar as there was with the Zenimax acquistion.

Buying out Bluepoint isn't really changing the landscape of the industry in the same way Microsoft buying out Bethesda does.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds likely, I know a lot of people were speculating about this exact scenario (DS being the final "test" and BP being an obvious acquisition target) for a while.

My only hope is that if/when they get acquired, BP grow to become a two team studio. That way they can make new IP while also having a team that's exclusively dedicated to remakes. Remakes are their legacy and I don't want them to see them totally give that up in favor of new IP. Likewise, I also want the team to have the freedom to make whatever they want, including new IP.

So, that would be the best of both worlds :)
That would be great.

I like their remakes. They do amazing stuff with them so I hope they still do them when they feel like it.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The tone of this thread is so different from the other acquisition threads. Never change ERA
Because they aren't really a multiplatform developer and pretty much only a port/remake studio. If you're only on Xbox for last gen you'd have no stake in Bluepoint. It's pretty different circumstances to a third party that fans on all platforms are invested in, so the tone would different.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Huh this is another one like Insomniac where I just thought that Sony already at least partially owned the studio...

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
BluePoint being acquired has always been weird to me, because they were founded by people that, in fact, were "escaping" from major developers since they wanted more creative freedom, or I least that is what I read in various articles time ago.

On the other hand, it is also true that they haven't released a single game that hasn't been comissioned by other party (mostly Sony, but also others). Actually, I think their first game published back in 2006 was their own IP, but I'm not sure.

So, this being said, who knows what might happen.

If the acquisition rumours are true, I hope Sony give them the chance to develop a new IP, they deserve it.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even need an announcement for this tbh. This is the biggest duh in gaming right now.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like wasted money. It's not that Bluepoint have been developing things for anyone else but Sony in the last few years. If they wanted to make an original game with them, it would've been enough to fund this specific project.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
What's up with the ban stuff? It's a rumor reported as a rumor with mod approval and all. Not all rumors turn out true, that's fine, everyone understands that and that one is not even outlandish.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Would love to see original IP from them. Based on their DF interview, the pipeline on DS was very similar to production on a full new video game. They have all the talent they need, I think the only piece that remains to be tested is design.

Status
Not open for further replies.