• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I talked/teased on the forum about something I've heard from someone I know personally a few days ago. I also talked with Transistor about it.
I'll be very upfront and say I wasn't able to verify both of my "sources" to the team over at ERA. The reason I couldn't verify my second source is that the source wouldn't comply. I know that raises some alarms, but I have chosen to believe this particular source for multiple reasons.

According to my source that is familiar with the development team Bluepoint Games, they're finalizing a deal right now. It seems like Demon's Souls was kind of the "final test", and based on positive reactions, and the fact that Bluepoints work ethic has proven impressive once again Sony started acquisition-based talks with the studio.

The important parts of the deal are as follows

From Bluepoint's angle:
  • They want to make sure they get a shot at an original IP, they don't want to be simply a "remake studio" (Even if they make more remakes)
  • While they value and love their independence, they also realize the industry is rapidly growing and evolving. They feel comfortable with their existing partnership with Sony and decided to sell to them.
From Sony's angle:
  • Very impressed with the work-ethic from Bluepoint. Creates groundbreaking remakes, at a good pace.
  • They have a good relationship with other SIE studios, particularly Sony Japan Studios that they worked together with during both Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. (Ape Escape fans, whatupppp) ((that wasn't an ape escape remake teaser, literally don't know anything about what they're doing after souls))
  • The expertise, skill, and tech that Bluepoint has for their remakes can be used for future projects not necessarily made by them. (In other words, if Team Asobi decides to create an Ape Escape Remake, they can go to Bluepoint for help)
The deal is being finalized and should be announced shortly, the time period I've been given is that it'll happen before February 28th. If it doesn't, it might not happen/be false information given to me. This means that you're free to discredit me as it most likely won't happen for one reason or another. (Feel free to do so earlier, if you feel like it) If for example Bluepoint or Sony declines this rumor, once again feel free to discredit me. I want to be crystal clear that I've gotten this piece of information from someone I trust, that I believe have a very good reason to know something like this.

I've talked with Transistor the last few days and agreed on the following:
If this doesn't happen before February 28th, they'll ban my account and I'll leave this site forever. IF THIS HAPPENS, PLEASE READ: I beg some of you to carry my Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 hopes up. I need to know that the hype train will never die! We'll one day get a Playstation crossover <3

Until the announcement, all I can say is: Enjoy next-gen everyone. I hope some of you get to play the new consoles, I can't wait until the 19th when it lands in Europe. Also feel free to send questions and I'll do my best to reply to them.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Ahem.... Let me put on my robe and mod hat:

We've spoken with MarsipanRumpan and while they may have sources, they weren't able to provide any concrete evidence to support these claims. So take it with a grain of salt. MarsipanRumpan is posting this at their own risk and has agreed to accept a ban if these don't pan out by 2/28/2021.

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
I mean. At this point it's shocking they haven't yet! Legend of Dragoon next? lol

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This would not be surprising at all, and would be a great get for Sony. Bluepoint have done some beautiful work on SoTC and Demon's. I would be very interested to see something original from them.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i'm really hopeful that Bluepoint will get a shot on making a original game next, and i can't wait. proven ace studio time and time again!

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Demon's Souls delivers, this is to be expected. Demon's 2 or Bloodborne 2 developed by Bluepoint/Japan Studio will be next. Sony will finally have their in-house From-style game studio, which you know they must want given Bloodborne routinely shows up in best of the gen/best of all time discussions.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Nice, bluepoint can become a world class studio with Sony support.

If they go for a original IP I hope is A RPG.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised, Bluepoint collaborates with Japan Studio and probably WWS
They know how work WWS, partnering with VASG studio for mocap/cinematic, etc... so include them in their network should be smoothless

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
Ahem.... Let me put on my robe and mod hat:

We've spoken with MarsipanRumpan and while they may have sources, they weren't able to provide any concrete evidence to support these claims. So take it with a grain of salt. MarsipanRumpan is posting this at their own risk and has agreed to accept a ban if these don't pan out by 2/28/2021.
That date seems kinda soon don't companies sometimes take months to finalize deal/ publicly announce.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I would be shocked if this didn't happen and Blluepoint spun into two teams, a remake help team and a team for a new IP.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that would make sense, but i still don't buy the new ip thing. listening to their DF tech talk it's clear they have a very specific skill set which is probably unparalleled by other teams in the same field so i don't know why they wouldn't keep doing remakes based on that, the investment in their tech to let them do that, and the current structure of their team.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. They produce such amazing high quality remasters that they soon had to be scooped up by someone.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Its a nobrainer to me. They fit everything Sony would want, strong partnership, small studio so they can grow them over time etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Would be about time. Bluepoint is a top tier studio, simply one of the best out there. Sony, lock that in. They prove their worthiness to be a part of PlayStation Studios.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could see it happening and I hope they get to make their own game next. Would be a good bargaining chip, sure we will join Sony but fund our next new IP game.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Well, out of all BluePoint titles, only two weren't Sony's. So this is actually a bit overdue at this point.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Would be one of the most expected acquisitions of recent years, right up there with Microsoft acquiring Playground.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit an account bet? High stakes!

Being honest I thought Bluepoint was already part of the WWS but go figure.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
They're clearly an excellent studio and handle Sony IP to great effect. Seems like a great move.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I believe you, OP. I can see Sony announcing the deal on Feb 29th, 2021.
giphy.gif

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Sony should definitely go after BluePoint since they've been collaborating for years!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
:/. Pretty sure they could get work otherwise. Hopefully the money goes to the workers.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
It would suck if this was announced like 2 weeks after this guys account ban deadline...

But honestly, it makes sense and I kind of hope it happens so that Bluepoint gets the opportunity to shine. They have a lot of talent and could definitely use a bigger budget

Status
Not open for further replies.