• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Really sounds like this could be happening. So exciting! It could be a huge splash if they announced along PS5 blowout.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm just saying, you don't just "have the rights to Silent Hill". That's not how licensing works. Sony signing a deal with Konami to make a new Silent Hill game doesn't mean they also have the rights to make a movie.

Yes, there is a possibility Sony somehow worked out a film-rights deal TOO, but the implication from Dusk and others has been that Konami is the one making the cross-media projects, not Sony.

The confusion probably comes from the fact that TriStar (a Sony owned studio) was involved with the first film. That makes people think it is more likely that they would be working on the film too.

But Silent Hill could also be getting an anime project, novels, etc. that would fall into the category of what the insiders are saying.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Going from pachinkos to two big budget silent hill games by toyama and kojima respectfully. That's some stars aligning shit.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Correction here: Sony did not co-own Silent Hill. They co-owned part of PT specifically.

Well yeah. P.T. is confirmed in the files so I assumed since Silent Hills is teased in P.T. and P.T. is just Playable Teaser for the upcoming (at that time) game so the deal back then was that whole title in general. And I don't rule out the deal was still strong back then to carry it on even now.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait

I don't know how reliable this guy is but he is claiming his own sources are corroborating the story. It might actually be happening.

Given how they are partnerships with Konami I think these games will at least come out on PC alongside PS5 (like Street Fighter V) perhaps with a delay. So not fully exclusive which is great.

EDIT: Maybe not. He is also claiming full PS5 exclusivity

PS5 day one then

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't know how reliable this guy is but he is claiming his own sources are corroborating the story. It might actually be happening.

Given how they are partnerships with Konami I think these games will at least come out on PC alongside PS5 (like Street Fighter V) perhaps with a delay. So not fully exclusive which is great.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that this guy just makes shit up for attention, from the PlayStation WWS OT:
Yeah, I would not take him seriously. He says a lot of things.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Well I expected this for years and I have been saying this every time haha. It just exceeded my expectations anyway to have 2 games. XD

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I'm gonna go ahead and say that this guy just makes shit up for attention, from the PlayStation WWS OT:

Yeah thanks for showing how full of shit this guy is, but hardly anyone paid attention to his piggybacking off the legit insiders for this rumor lol. He sounded like every other twitter no name saying "YEAH I HEARD THAT TOO, MY SOURCES JUST TOLD ME ACTUALLY"

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah thanks for showing how full of shit this guy is, but hardly anyone paid attention to his piggybacking off the legit insiders for this rumor lol. He sounded like every other twitter no name saying "YEAH I HEARD THAT TOO, MY SOURCES JUST TOLD ME ACTUALLY"
Which "legit" insiders have confirmed this?

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I thought i was misreading it, so it's two games by Team Siren and Kojipro? I don't know which will be more divergent to the old games.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I thought i was misreading it, so it's two games by Team Siren and Kojipro? I don't know which will be more divergent to the old games.
I'm going assume, Siren will make a classic 3rd person Silent Hill experience with all the bells and whistles and KojiPro will double down on the first person aspects of PT, hell if were lucky he might even pull an RE7 and make it with VR support o_O but I'm gonna keep my hype down for now. Just 1 SH game is enough to be hyped for.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going assume, Siren will make a classic 3rd person Silent Hill experience with all the bells and whistles and KojiPro will double down on the first person aspects of PT, hell if were lucky he might even pull an RE7 and make it with VR support o_O but I'm gonna keep my hype down for now. Just 1 SH game is enough to be hyped for.

Indeed and especially with next-gen PS5 graphics from scratch. I don't know who can survive any of those games. Haha.

About this matter, I heard Kojima was testing and thinking about making FPV for interiors and inhouse moments to convey more horrors in encounetrs like P.T. while having third person in outdoors, something like SH4 formula. This could work so well and also Kojima can't risk having Norman Reedus and famous actors and not show their faces through the whole game.

Last edited:

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
This sounds like wires are getting crossed somewhere. I'd wager Sony is funding a Silent Hill title and is in talks with both parties trying to settle on who would be interested in developing.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Dusk Golem and RelyonHorror wouldn't have so much faith in this and be talking so much about it if it was bullshit.
Well there's a difference between saying it's believable and that it's definitely happening. Seems some of the larger sites would have picked up on it by now if it was actually confirmed to be in the works.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
You guys just need to put the KojiPro dreams on the back burner. Kojima is fickle and his next project dreams can change on a whim.

Concentrate and embrace the most important aspect of all of this: the man that fucking created the first Silent Hill is coming back with his primary artist and composer. That should be the excitement.
Kojima always was- and always would be- a guest star. This is Toyama's glory to soak up!

Oct 25, 2017
You guys just need to put the KojiPro dreams on the back burner. Kojima is fickle and his next project dreams can change on a whim.

Concentrate and embrace the most important aspect of all of this: the man that fucking created the first Silent Hill is coming back with his primary artist and composer. That should be the excitement.
Kojima always was- and always would be- a guest star. This is Toyama's glory to soak up!

I want Toyama's SH more anyway. KP's Silent Hills would be a nice bonus though.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Not sure why Toyama is so highly lauded as if he's the mastermind behind the creative legacy of the Silent Hill series. He wasn't involved in Silent Hill 2 or 3 (entries that many consider to be better or of the same quality as SH1), and since then he's only gone on to make Siren (a subpar horror title) and Gravity Rush (a decent and innovative platformer, but ultimately mediocre). I'm sure he has some interesting ideas here and there, but I don't attribute the greatness of Silent Hill's horror legacy to him - given Silent Hill 2, 3, and to some extent 4, the greatness of Silent Hill was continued and achieved without him.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017

If you think for 1 second Kojima would accept not being listed as the creator, director, composer and original vision behind silent hill for the next silent hill title then we are going to run into a few problems.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa

Exactly! I'd take Toyama, Ito, and Yamaoka over a Kojima Silent Hills any damn day.

Wish they could have gotten Sato on the team as well, it would be perfect

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this happens I'd like to echo others and ask for a decent HD collection of the first 4 games.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

I want Toyama's SH more anyway. KP's Silent Hills would be a nice bonus though.

This. Toyama would know exactly how to relaunch the series without losing all its charm. Many have missed the word "soft reboot". It's neither a remake nor a restart of the series and cutting all bonds from the previous games. A soft reboot is literaly a sequel but with a fresh start, focusing on everything new but still bringing ties to past stuff and hinting from time to time about the past.
Think of Mortal Kombat and God Of War. Both are soft reboots, starting from the ashes of the old chapters, creating even new timelines and worlds. It won't be a reimagining reboot/remake like Shattered Memories for example.

Kojima, would create an entire new concept of the universe, but still will have to stick to the universe. That is what will make the difference.

We have 2 best scenarios happening than just one unique outcome.

Last edited:

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Well there's a difference between saying it's believable and that it's definitely happening. Seems some of the larger sites would have picked up on it by now if it was actually confirmed to be in the works.

Even IGN is reporting this because it is coming from reputable sources. That being said, unless they have sources willing to confirm or leak something, they can't add anything. But while not 100% confirmed yet, the amount of details we are hearing from, again, REPUTABLE people is showing strong support that this is happening

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Does Kojima Silent Hills comes bundled with a defibrillator?

This has been my thought from the start. Well Kojima said, back then when Silent Hills was still a thing, that he may bundle the game with a pair of Underwear. XD.

Well as if SIE reboot will be less scary. Toayama, Masahiro Ito and Akira Yamaoka will outdo themselves this time to push the limits of their creative minds since the PS5 hardware allows it.

Remember

Oct 25, 2017
Even IGN is reporting this because it is coming from reputable sources. That being said, unless they have sources willing to confirm or leak something, they can't add anything. But while not 100% confirmed yet, the amount of details we are hearing from, again, REPUTABLE people is showing strong support that this is happening

Why would anyone confirm it?It will probably be a huge announcement at PS5 reveal. We basically know Demon's Souls is coming, but it isn't confirmed.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Two SH titles, and one of them is KojiPro PT reborn?! PS5 day fucking one if true!

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Oh I didn't see that ign picked it up. What did they say?

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why Toyama is so highly lauded as if he's the mastermind behind the creative legacy of the Silent Hill series. He wasn't involved in Silent Hill 2 or 3 (entries that many consider to be better or of the same quality as SH1), and since then he's only gone on to make Siren (a subpar horror title) and Gravity Rush (a decent and innovative platformer, but ultimately mediocre). I'm sure he has some interesting ideas here and there, but I don't attribute the greatness of Silent Hill's horror legacy to him - given Silent Hill 2, 3, and to some extent 4, the greatness of Silent Hill was continued and achieved without him.
Yeah, i would love to see Silent Hill 2 writer returning, but i believe he is still in Konami.

I am not a big fan of the first Silent Hill game.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
It's crazy to think that the directors of the two horror games I think are too scary to play (Blood Curse and PT) may be both working on their own Silent Hill game. It's too good to be true.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Realized by looking through his works that Toyama hasn't made a big title since the original Silent Hill in 1999.

Wonder if he will be up to the task of making a big budget PS5 title with state of the art graphics.

Also, just found out he worked on Kojima's Snatcher.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I'm with you here. Silent Hill 2 is THE gold star of the series and Toyama had nothing to do with it. Why are we supposed to be that excited for him coming back? His interpretation of Silent Hill was fine, but it was nowhere near as interesting as the post-Alessa version of the town.

Oct 25, 2017
Realized by looking through his works that Toyama hasn't made a big title since the original Silent Hill in 1999.

Wonder if he will be up to the task of making a big budget PS5 title with state of the art graphics.
Also, just found out he worked on Kojima's Snatcher.

It's not like he has been making 3 hour indies.

Yeah, I'm with you here. Silent Hill 2 is THE gold star of the series and Toyama had nothing to do with it. Why are we supposed to be that excited for him coming back? His interpretation of Silent Hill was fine, but it was nowhere near as interesting as the post-Alessa version of the town.

Someone took his idea and built on it. He can do the same.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019

Maybe, and just maybe because he was part of the creation of the IP?
The most difficult thing is to set the tone, what you want to convey and the story in something that has not yet been proven. Sequels are ramifications of something already established, therefore they have a much smoother path than creating something from scratch.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
How's Konami's mobile and pachinko business? Is there an incentive for them to get back into big budget games?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How's Konami's mobile and pachinko business? Is there an incentive for them to get back into big budget games?

If memory serves, pachinko is in pretty heavy decline (and will definitely tank even more due to coronavirus, since people are not going to be going to pachinko halls during the crisis), but Konami makes a ton of money off of operating gyms and arcades beyond just pachinko.

Maybe, and just maybe because he was part of the creation of the IP?
The most difficult thing is to set the tone, what you want to convey and the story in something that has not yet been proven. Sequels are ramifications of something already established, therefore they have a much smoother path than creating something from scratch.

Eh. A creator is all fine and good but just because someone had a hand in creating a series doesn't mean they're automatically the right person to bring it back, especially when said series grew WELL past their original idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.