• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Well, as you said, Silent Hills was never fully laid out for us to know what exactly it would be.

P.T. though used a modern horror game format to lead into the announcement of the game, but I believe it was just to demonstrate how well the devs understood horror. It goes beyond just jump scares, it actually made you feel trapped in a haunted, nightmarish place that most games in the genre don't do nearly as well. And that was just in the brief teaser.

It doesn't have to be first person or have you playing as a helpless character that doesn't fight back, it just needs to do the things that P.T. did best. And I believe the horror and scares can be more dynamic with the PS5's power

See, that's the thing though, PT didn't feel like Silent Hill to me. It just felt like an utterly standard ghost story. I'm not interested in "devs understanding horror" because the definition of "horror" is completely subjective. What's effective horror to one person might seem dull and trite to another.

What I want is a Silent Hill game, and PT had no qualities that I particularly look for in a Silent Hill game - there was no characterization anywhere, the personality of the town was completely absent, there was no music, and the monster was just an utterly generic ghost.

People love to shit on the Western devs who SH got outsourced to for misunderstanding the IP, and in some cases that's a very valid criticism, but PT just had nothing in common with what made Silent Hill special in the first place. It wasn't the kind of teaser that got recontextualized by the Silent Hills reveal at the end, it was a five-second "look it's Norman Reedus!' teaser at the end of a completely unrelated ghost house minigame.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Pretty much. It's a middle of the road IP with some, but not a huge amount of, value.

Sony spending millions upon millions of dollars to finance and fund TWO GAMES in the series at the same time is an asinine proposal that honestly makes no sense.
Yeah, that's the only part that seems weird to me. Funding one SH game is perfectly plausible though, wonder if there's just not some mixup between sources (if legit).

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
As much as I've been enjoying RE2 Remake, my wife can't really get into it. (Not a fan of the zombies and gunplay bores her) She's been more entertained with my reactions than actually interacting with the game with me.

Silent Hill would be amazing, because she has loved diving into those with me from both a story and exploration perspective. Do it, whoever. Just DO IT.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I've been enjoying RE2 Remake, my wife can't really get into it. (Not a fan of the zombies and gunplay bores her) She's been more entertained with my reactions than actually interacting with the game with me.

Silent Hill would be amazing, because she has loved diving into those with me from both a story and exploration perspective. Do it, whoever. Just DO IT.

This is actually kinda close to how I feel about the two franchises. I respect Resident Evil for being what it is, but the lore and story depth and heavy theming of the Silent Hill series is way more appealing to me.

I really want the next game in the series to include the side stories/subquests that Downpour had. That was such a cool fucking idea - having little vignette micro-stories strewn about the city for the player to uncover that tell little self-contained narratives within the town.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought this would've made so much sense.
People are dying for a new Silent Hill game after the Konami disaster, and Sony has most of the former Team Silent in-house. I mean, it's a no-brainer.

Still sounds too good to be true.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I was a little hoping for Siren to make a return as I always felt there was so much potential in that franchise, but Silent Hill is definitely more exciting.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
See, that's the thing though, PT didn't feel like Silent Hill to me. It just felt like an utterly standard ghost story. I'm not interested in "devs understanding horror" because the definition of "horror" is completely subjective. What's effective horror to one person might seem dull and trite to another.

What I want is a Silent Hill game, and PT had no qualities that I particularly look for in a Silent Hill game - there was no characterization anywhere, the personality of the town was completely absent, there was no music, and the monster was just an utterly generic ghost.

People love to shit on the Western devs who SH got outsourced to for misunderstanding the IP, and in some cases that's a very valid criticism, but PT just had nothing in common with what made Silent Hill special in the first place. It wasn't the kind of teaser that got recontextualized by the Silent Hills reveal at the end, it was a five-second "look it's Norman Reedus!' teaser at the end of a completely unrelated ghost house minigame.
Well good thing the game seemingly in production is the one by the ex Silent Hill and Siren devs.
They're the only ones I'd trust to make a good Silent Hill game.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Can team Siren and KojiPro just collab and make one Silent Hills game?

Too many cooks in the kitchen, IMO (if it's a presumed to be Toyama, Kojima, Del Toro, etc.)

I just want to see what the godfather of SH Toyama can and will do with the foundation of this series 21 years after the original released. I want to see his incredible creativity do something new, yet still work within the framework of what makes Silent Hill, well, Silent Hill. I want him directing Yamaoka towards a more somber, subdued ambient OST (not that I don't like Yamaoka's more trip-hop SH OSTs, but for my personal taste SH1 and SH2 are absolutely peak Yamaoka). I want to see some new, crazy creature designs and art direction from Masahiro Ito for the first time since SH3.

These men have undoubtedly changed and grown in the past 20 years. I want them to take their experience of their life over that time and make something really special (thanks, SIE money!) and really bring Silent Hill back to prominence. So many here (myself included) have made statements such as "you simply can't make a game like SH1 and/or SH2 in this day and age" and holy shit I want to be wrong about that. I desperately want to be wrong about that.

My mind is just racing over this. Would it bring back the classic rusty-metal otherworld style? Would Toyama and Ito attempt a completely new kind of aesthetic? I'm trying not to get excited about this, but that is proving impossible.

If Kojima/Del Toro/whatever take their crack at Silent Hills later down the line? Fine. Great.
But for me, it's all about Toyama returning to horror... returning to Silent Hill... and really creatively pushing his old friends that were there with him from the beginning when all KCET wanted was a simple RE clone but instead got something wildly creative and genuinely brilliant.

Come home, Toyama. I'm fucking ready!

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
I won't be surprised if Sony managed to buy some rights from Konami and got Silent Hill and Metal Gear.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
See, that's the thing though, PT didn't feel like Silent Hill to me. It just felt like an utterly standard ghost story.
I'm going to have a bit of fun with this, but I promise it's not mean-spirited. I do both agree and disagree, but Silent Hill has often involved "standard ghost story" elements.
tumblr_odzhi46U121qk5kn3o5_r1_500.gif

I'm not interested in "devs understanding horror" because the definition of "horror" is completely subjective. What's effective horror to one person might seem dull and trite to another.
True, but that's why Silent Hill explores a wide variety of horror elements. It can be psychological, yes, but it does also rely on "cheap" scares, like jump scares, gore, and body horror at times.
cb17c382522f7821383a843e160146d9.gif

What I want is a Silent Hill game, and PT had no qualities that I particularly look for in a Silent Hill game - there was no characterization anywhere...
There was actually characterization everywhere. It's in the environment, on the radio, in the voices you hear... it's just vague and ambiguous. Lisa's history and fate are pretty much painted all over the walls, from every clue to every message to every torn photograph. It just doesn't have any resolution because it was a teaser for a story that never properly emerged. Like, if you played the opening of SH4 and it ended after the prologue, you'd have the same impression, right?
KOrf.gif

"Where am I? WHO am I? What's this? What's going on? What caused this? How do I get out?"

...the personality of the town was completely absent, there was no music, and the monster was just an utterly generic ghost.

Which, er, I again point you to the teaser opening for SH4, or even SH3's opening mall section, neither of which are in Silent Hill and take their time getting there. A lot of these moments lacked music, and, well, SH4's biggest bothersome monsters were what again?
latest

Yes and no. I see a lot of similarities to being trapped in an apartment or an infinitely repeating hallway. I see a lot of similarities between being pursued by an immortal ghostly stalker (in SEVERAL installments). I see a lot of environmental storytelling and convoluted puzzle solving. I see another confused protagonist being fed stories of serial killers/murders that on the surface seem random or unrelated but you know have some connection. I see themes of marital strife, complications of motherhood, and a powerful theme of purgatory for one's sins everywhere. Those are all hallmarks of the series, and P.T. had them, but not in the expected ways.

And as we escaped the hallway, into the fog of Silent Hill, it gave me the impression that Lisa's infinite hallway of terror was just a small microcosm of a much larger horror narrative.

Last edited:

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017

I don't think P.T. was supposed to feel like Silent Hill, so that makes sense that it didn't feel like one. If anything, maybe it could have been a small sample of what the main character would experience during their journey, like that TGS concept trailer. You can't really say it had nothing to do with Silent Hills because we may never know what was planned before cancellation (unless the rumors are true and the original plan is kept). Maybe it wasn't ever related. Who knows?

Also, there's music in it, and it's very atmospheric and creepy. Ludvig Forssell did an incredible job with it. I think he'd do Silent Hill justice.

I think Lisa is far from generic. I found her design to be really effective, and she even had that unnatural, twitchy movement that several SH monsters display. To each their own, I guess.

P.T. in hindsight seems like a social strand game before death stranding. Something designed to have people work together to solve and reveal a big announcement in a clever way. Plus, it was scary, and a lot of people seem to agree which I felt was a really good sign for a new SH title. I don't think it's fair to criticize a teaser for not feeling like a silent hill game when it clearly wasn't trying to be.

Silent Hill desperately needed a shock to the system, and based on how intriguing and scary PT was, I was excited to see Kojima & Del Toro's take on it.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
REmake level redos of silent hill 1-3 would be incredible. I always preferred those over the RE games but konami being the owners sadly meant they were doomed to be catalogue titles forever. Please be real.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear is so much more popular and it would be dumb to make it exclusive
If sony really can get silent hill i don't see it being far fetched them getting metal gear. For konami it is probably an IP they can't do much without kojima, sony can make that happen. I mean metal gear solid 4 was exclusive i don't see it being a huge blocker.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can actually talk about this a bit. Now keep in my I'm a bit murky on the details, this is from my understanding also, I'm going to try to get what I've heard as accurate as possible but I'm also cutting parts of this out. I'm also about to say some controversial things for some, so be ready. None of this is from any source I personally can verify, but it is what I've heard.

Death Stranding was a flop. It sold well initially, but I've heard it has over 3 million unsold copies of what's been produced, but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping. Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.

So originally Sony and Konami came to a deal when Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill developers, I am not entirely clear on the details but Toyama had been interested in doing a horror game, but the Siren IP is kinda' more of a niche thing and would get a lower budget. Somehow, I wish I was more clear on the details, but SOMEHOW a few variables fells into place that Sony went out of their way to work with Konami to allow Toyama to work on a horror game, but a horror game with more recognition behind it than Siren, which of course I mean Silent Hill. Sony also seemed to have the idea since Death Stranding was a loss for them that getting Kojima to finally work on a horror game like he's been wanting to, have Konami help fit the bill for Kojima's and Toyama's game (as Konami was going to help fund whatever game anyways). There was some Japanese pride on Kojima Pro's side since Death Stranding didn't do too great, so they want to prove themselves more. Sony is fine with that but not to make a game without as bloated of a budget as DS, and they believe that a horror game or even a Silent Hill game as a brand with recognition and already pre-built hype with his named attached might make more financial return for them and be a strong title for their platform. Kojima making a horror game and making Silent Hills has hype behind it, Toyama and Team Silent members returning to make a new Silent Hill game has hype behind it, and Sony and Konami were able to strike a deal that made both parties happy and mutually benefited both of them.

This is a super oversimplification, but basically Konami just wanted someone to make a good Silent Hill game and was willing to fund the pitch they selected, Sony was interested due to what Toyama wanted for his next project and the possibility of getting Kojima to do a smaller budget game after Death Stranding was a failure which they believe would have interest for gamers, and a deal was worked out with Sony and Konami both funding these projects (though let me clarify, the Kojima game is still in the talks at this point in time).
Oof. That's disappointing to hear, I loved the game and it was easily my GOTY last year and potentially of the GOTG.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I was a little hoping for Siren to make a return as I always felt there was so much potential in that franchise, but Silent Hill is definitely more exciting.
I wanted another Siren as well but with the Silent IP they should get more budget so yeah, I'm OK with this.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
Hey if Sony and Konami are gonna be playing all nice make a fucking Castlevania game. That would make a great open world horror game. Plenty of monsters to pull from the lore and the Belmont Hold could be a base of operations

I mean Sony did the porting work for Sotn & Rondo for that collection so there's some precedence for a castlevania colab lol.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
It's not really the same. SFV would have happened with or without the input of Sony. Silent Hill is probably dead if someone other than Konami doesn't step-up to pay for a full AAA development.

We can't actually know this, as rumors around say that Konami is ramping-up to restart developing console games on a broader scale.

In any case, I do really guess Sony is co-developing (or at least "financing" by paying some amount of money for the exclusive).

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
If Kojima/Del Toro/whatever take their crack at Silent Hills later down the line? Fine. Great.
But for me, it's all about Toyama returning to horror... returning to Silent Hill... and really creatively pushing his old friends that were there with him from the beginning when all KCET wanted was a simple RE clone but instead got something wildly creative and genuinely brilliant.

100% agree.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

P.T. was not really Silent Hills, it was more of a playable horror concept demo. It was careful to not give away it was teasing the next Silent Hill game, it was just saying "we can scare the shit out of you". Thats why it didn't feel like Silent Hill, it was designed to be cryptic.

Thats what is so brilliant about it at the same time, once you see it is Silent Hills it makes you think just how scary they can make the game. And horror games are suppose to make you feel tense, unsettled, disturbed, and pretty much everything the teaser was praised for.

I cant see them NOT incorporating the many aspects that fans love about the SH series, but how they do it remains to be seen. There's just no reason to be cynical at this point.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
if death stranding was a flop then why was it in the critic's choice sale or whatever on psn? Sorry... I dont think I believe it flopped with such minimal evidence. I guess Dusk Golem is credible and there is no denying that he knows things about Capcom and RE but right now i'm taking it with a huge grain of salt.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Silent Hill 4 was more memorable to me than 3 but all four original mainline games were great.

P.T gave me the worst jump scare in my life but thankfully its other elements were top notch.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Too many cooks in the kitchen, IMO (if it's a presumed to be Toyama, Kojima, Del Toro, etc.)

I just want to see what the godfather of SH Toyama can and will do with the foundation of this series 21 years after the original released. I want to see his incredible creativity do something new, yet still work within the framework of what makes Silent Hill, well, Silent Hill. I want him directing Yamaoka towards a more somber, subdued ambient OST (not that I don't like Yamaoka's more trip-hop SH OSTs, but for my personal taste SH1 and SH2 are absolutely peak Yamaoka). I want to see some new, crazy creature designs and art direction from Masahiro Ito for the first time since SH3.

These men have undoubtedly changed and grown in the past 20 years. I want them to take their experience of their life over that time and make something really special (thanks, SIE money!) and really bring Silent Hill back to prominence. So many here (myself included) have made statements such as "you simply can't make a game like SH1 and/or SH2 in this day and age" and holy shit I want to be wrong about that. I desperately want to be wrong about that.

My mind is just racing over this. Would it bring back the classic rusty-metal otherworld style? Would Toyama and Ito attempt a completely new kind of aesthetic? I'm trying not to get excited about this, but that is proving impossible.

Come home, Toyama. I'm fucking ready!
This post speaks to me

Oct 27, 2017
if death stranding was a flop then why was it in the critic's choice sale or whatever on psn? Sorry... I dont think I believe it flopped with such minimal evidence. I guess Dusk Golem is credible and there is no denying that he knows things about Capcom and RE but right now i'm taking it with a huge grain of salt.

Because the critic's choice award has nothing to do with sales numbers? See also: Okami, which is the most horribly underperforming GotY ever. It literally was in the Guinness Book of Records for that reason.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018

Its only a PS4 exclusive for 7 months. They might not be able to reduce the price past a certain point until it's released on PC. It'd be hard to ask full price for it on Steam if the physical PS4 copy is selling for 1/3 of that.

Edit: Sorry, just reread your post and realized I misunderstood it. Thought you were arguing why wasn't it reduced more. Anyway, critical acclaim doesn't always equal sales. It can be loved by many critics (and many here on Era, including mysel) and still not sell to Sony's expectations. Nothing we've heard publicly really disputes Dusk Golem's info.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know nothing of the corporate world if you think two large companies will make decisions on emotions. It's all about the bottom line in their financial report that matters to their stakeholders.

Konami split from Kojima because of their bottom line though, they felt he wasn't making them enough money and have been doing great ever since.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I hope it isn't just VR, and I wonder if after all these years Team Silent still has "it". At least they can be trusted with the story though.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
I don't know. I mean, I guess we are now at a good place with survival horror now after the mid-00's/early 10s basically turned the genre into generic action shooters but I felt like Silent Hill was a lighting in a bottle type of situation. Everything after 4 felt by the numbers and didn't have the same sense of atmosphere and aesthetic. I am not diminishing the talent who are (allegedly) working on these and I am sure whatever end product it may be will turn out, at worst, a good horror experience. If anything, i do hope the direction goes elsewhere new and it doesn't harp on some of the tent pole features of series past just for the sake of it being Silent Hill. (No, we don't need bathroom stalls made from rusty grates, come the fuck on.)

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Erm, so if this is true which meltdown do you think will be worse?

a) Silent Hill is exclusive to PS5?
b) Oh wait, actually it's also coming to PC a bit later?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Erm, so if this is true which meltdown do you think will be worse?

a) Silent Hill is exclusive to PS5?
b) Oh wait, actually it's also coming to PC a bit later?
I don't think there will be that big of meltdown due to Silent Hill's history with PlayStation and the IP seeming to come back from the dead. Fans will just be happy it's alive and looks like it with have huge financial support and be made by talented people.

Status
Not open for further replies.