• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Soft reboot means it's Harry Mason again?
For the record, I don't have the slightest clue about the story, characters, anything.

But I was told it's not rebooting the world or anything, all the other Silent Hill games are still there and canon and all of that. Just this will be set in the same universe, be rather stand-alone, can be played as someone's first Silent Hill game and they wouldn't be missing anything. It'll be a re-introduction to the series in many ways, but it's not a reset on what's happened before it, but you don't need to know what's happened before it either. It'll be rather stand-alone.

So I very much doubt it's starring Harry Mason.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I would consider it a proper challenge for Konami to prove they actually still care about gaming. It could only be a GOOD thing to light a fire under Konami's ass and get them to give a shit again. Maybe we could get a new Castlevania or a Suikoden or something if Konami decided to reignite their commitment to gaming.

Instead, Sony is spending a bunch of money, that could have gone toward a new IP and an exclusive for the PS5, funding a project that they don't own, that also means Konami doesn't have to put in any effort but they get paid anyway. Why is that better?
We've already seen what happens when Konami tries to do their own solo game:
Metal-Gear-Survive

packshot-b1624a19de4922e59df9f709ced655fd.jpg

With these in mind, I will gladly take the option of Konami outsourcing the series to a respectable company with talented developers on board.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
We've already seen what happens when Konami tries to do their own solo game:
Metal-Gear-Survive

packshot-b1624a19de4922e59df9f709ced655fd.jpg

With these in mind, I will gladly take the option of Konami outsourcing the series to a respectable company with talented developers on board.

Again. The implication I am giving is that Konami would actually give a shit again, rather than pooping out a game with a popular name on it and putting in zero effort.

If Sony is doing all the work and assuming all of the financial risk here, Konami continues to put in no effort and they won't improve as a publisher. That's not good for anyone, and it WASTES money that could instead be going toward actual exclusives and new IPs for the PS5.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I would consider it a proper challenge for Konami to prove they actually still care about gaming. It could only be a GOOD thing to light a fire under Konami's ass and get them to give a shit again. Maybe we could get a new Castlevania or a Suikoden or something if Konami decided to reignite their commitment to gaming.

Instead, Sony is spending a bunch of money, that could have gone toward a new IP and an exclusive for the PS5, funding a project that they don't own, that also means Konami doesn't have to put in any effort but they get paid anyway. Why is that better?
I understand where you are coming from. I would also like to get a good SH game from Konami, and an awesome Toyama Horror project. But I think, that at this point, Konami has thrown in the towel. Konami has the IP, Sony has the talent. Is it ideal? Perhaps not. As a huge SH fan, i'll let Sony and Konami deal with formalities and just enjoy that the IP could come back with the right talent involved.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, Konami is full of the dumb and can't be trusted to do anything good or right.

On the other hand, yes please. Make this work Sony. Make me buy a PS5

Last edited:

Adamastor

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Pencil me in. I'll take another trip to Silent Hill. Been a while since a good one has come out, hopefully a return to its roots does the trick.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

They're filled with issues that will take many years to sort through before getting to a level where they can produce a quality AAA game again. Them working with Sony is just making a much more serious commitment to console games that they haven't shown in quite a few years. See it as a step forward in their long journey to getting back into proper form. Honestly, them announcing a new internally developed AAA Silent Hill game would be met with a lot of "wait and see..." feelings and tepid enthusiasm in this state.

But reviving the Silent Hills project that was so brilliantly teased with P.T. with Sony as the backer? Thats damn exciting. As for Sony, they spend money and make money.... they made a LOT of money this gen. With how booked their major studios are and them opting out of a few second party partnerships with studios like Quantic Dreams and such, I'd say they have plenty of room to do a partnership like this with Konami AND make new IPs. Their output seems so strong that I can't imagine why this would be a serious concern.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Again. The implication I am giving is that Konami would actually give a shit again, rather than pooping out a game with a popular name on it and putting in zero effort.

If Sony is doing all the work and assuming all of the financial risk here, Konami continues to put in no effort and they won't improve as a publisher. That's not good for anyone, and it WASTES money that could instead be going toward actual exclusives and new IPs for the PS5.
the post from dusk golem in this thread seemed to say that konami would be the source for a good share of the funding for both titles

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
If true this would be the best gaming news I've heard in a long time. Sony has such good taste in projects they produce. Or at least, they line up so well with my tastes lol.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They're filled with issues that will take many years to sort through before getting to a level where they can produce a quality AAA game again. Them working with Sony is just making a much more serious commitment to console games that they haven't shown in quite a few years. See it as a step forward in their long journey to getting back into proper form. Honestly, them announcing a new internally developed AAA Silent Hill game would be met with a lot of "wait and see..." feelings and tepid enthusiasm in this state.

But reviving the Silent Hills project that was so brilliantly teased with P.T. with Sony as the backer? Thats damn exciting. As for Sony, they spend money and make money.... they made a LOT of money this gen. With how booked their major studios are and them opting out of a few second party partnerships with studios like Quantic Dreams and such, I'd say they have plenty of room to do a partnership like this with Konami AND make new IPs. Their output seems so strong that I can't imagine why this would be a serious concern.

Why is it exciting, though? Silent Hills wasn't a game, it was just "Kojima's making a thing with Norman Reedus in it!" And he just DID that last year.

If this project HAS to exist and Sony HAS to be involved, I would hope to the gods that it's completely separate from anything Kojima's working on.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
The source is a mod here, not some new account.
I wasn't talking about Dusk Golem. There was a new user in a different thread earlier today talking about similar rumors.
Let me clarify, I actually was in doubts myself to share the Kojima, but some others wanted to share it and I understand it makes the story spicier. Even if everything I've shared is 100% true like I believe it is, the Kojima thing is ambiguous in if it'll even turn into something right now or not, there's just been talks about it.

I also had some thoughts on sharing it when it's not even a done deal yet, though maybe in the best case scenario this blowing up some will lead to a positive outcome if seen there's still interest in it. That is the hope on my part, though I dread it also might make things fall apart.

However, ultimately this part wasn't really my call, there was things circulating that kinda' got to a point it was going to come out of someone one way or another here, so here we are.
Thanks for the further clarification! It seems like this rumor has gotten somewhat out of hand. That other user's information seems to mostly match up with yours, but it would be nice if they could be verified or debunked. I'm a little surprised you felt pressured to get ahead of this, given you're a mod and all. I hope you don't feel it's your responsibility to be on top of things like this just because other people in the know might not be as responsible, I'm sure there's enough on your plate already!

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Konami still owns the IP, right? So that would mean even if Sony initiated and mostly funds this Kojima still has to work with Konami in some capacity again?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Why is it exciting, though? Silent Hills wasn't a game, it was just "Kojima's making a thing with Norman Reedus in it!" And he just DID that last year.

If this project HAS to exist and Sony HAS to be involved, I would hope to the gods that it's completely separate from anything Kojima's working on.

....I really doubt Norman Reedus was the focal point of these Kojima projects, he just wanted his likeness for the protagonist. With that being said, P.T. had outstanding atmosphere, aesthetic design, and understanding of building fear and tension. I can't see Silent Hill returning without being hugely influenced by P.T. with the praise it was met with. I believe that is driving Sony into this venture, assuming it is happening.

Whether Kojima is deeply involved or if it ends up being one game or two very different projects, I believe there's no way for one of them to NOT be Konami and Sony announcing it is a revival of the Silent Hills game that P.T. was leading into. That can really take Silent Hill to a much broader audience.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Lame, they should...
Won't matter really, Sony would have all the talent needed for further SH games. It would be Spiderman all over again. Could Marvel/Konami go another Dev/publisher? Sure, and piss off the entire fan base that now trusts the Sony devs who made the game happen. If this does well, this will likely turn into another Nintendo-Sega-Bayonetta type partnership.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I can actually talk about this a bit. Now keep in my I'm a bit murky on the details, this is from my understanding also, I'm going to try to get what I've heard as accurate as possible but I'm also cutting parts of this out. I'm also about to say some controversial things for some, so be ready. None of this is from any source I personally can verify, but it is what I've heard.

Death Stranding was a flop. It sold well initially, but I've heard it has over 3 million unsold copies of what's been produced, but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping. Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.

So originally Sony and Konami came to a deal when Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill developers, I am not entirely clear on the details but Toyama had been interested in doing a horror game, but the Siren IP is kinda' more of a niche thing and would get a lower budget. Somehow, I wish I was more clear on the details, but SOMEHOW a few variables fells into place that Sony went out of their way to work with Konami to allow Toyama to work on a horror game, but a horror game with more recognition behind it than Siren, which of course I mean Silent Hill. Sony also seemed to have the idea since Death Stranding was a loss for them that getting Kojima to finally work on a horror game like he's been wanting to, have Konami help fit the bill for Kojima's and Toyama's game (as Konami was going to help fund whatever game anyways). There was some Japanese pride on Kojima Pro's side since Death Stranding didn't do too great, so they want to prove themselves more. Sony is fine with that but not to make a game without as bloated of a budget as DS, and they believe that a horror game or even a Silent Hill game as a brand with recognition and already pre-built hype with his named attached might make more financial return for them and be a strong title for their platform. Kojima making a horror game and making Silent Hills has hype behind it, Toyama and Team Silent members returning to make a new Silent Hill game has hype behind it, and Sony and Konami were able to strike a deal that made both parties happy and mutually benefited both of them.

This is a super oversimplification, but basically Konami just wanted someone to make a good Silent Hill game and was willing to fund the pitch they selected, Sony was interested due to what Toyama wanted for his next project and the possibility of getting Kojima to do a smaller budget game after Death Stranding was a failure which they believe would have interest for gamers, and a deal was worked out with Sony and Konami both funding these projects (though let me clarify, the Kojima game is still in the talks at this point in time).
is it possible to give us a small idea of what Kojima has in plan for the death stranding material? Small DLC or some sort of expansion?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
....I really doubt Norman Reedus was the focal point of these Kojima projects, he just wanted his likeness for the protagonist. With that being said, P.T. had outstanding atmosphere, aesthetic design, and understanding of building fear and tension. I can't see Silent Hill returning without being hugely influenced by P.T. with the praise it was met with. I believe that is driving Sony into this venture, assuming it is happening.

Whether Kojima is deeply involved or if it ends up being one game or two very different projects, I believe there's no way for one of them to NOT be Konami and Sony announcing it is a revival of the Silent Hills game that P.T. was leading into. That can really take Silent Hill to a much broader audience.

I'm just saying, that "Silent Hill game" never existed. It wasn't a thing. There was no gameplay, no story, nothing. ALL IT WAS was a trailer that announced "Hideo Kojima is making a game with Norman Reedus in it". Kojima even said himself that "Silent Hills", whatever it was actually going to be, wasn't going to play like P.T., and that the entire point of the format that demo took was to hide Reedus' presence from players until they unlocked the trailer. We know nothing about what Kojima's plans for the game actually were beyond the fact that gameplay-wise it wasn't going to be that different from previous installments.

I don't see much of a reason to get ultra-excited for something like that with no information, ESPECIALLY post-Death Stranding.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
After if those Silent Hill games confirmed, I hope it'll put more confidence in Konami for new Metal Gear...

Yes, do it without Kojima.

Let new talents flourished.

May 26, 2018
I'm just saying, that "Silent Hill game" never existed. It wasn't a thing. There was no gameplay, no story, nothing. ALL IT WAS was a trailer that announced "Hideo Kojima is making a game with Norman Reedus in it". Kojima even said himself that "Silent Hills", whatever it was actually going to be, wasn't going to play like P.T., and that the entire point of the format that demo took was to hide Reedus' presence from players until they unlocked the trailer. We know nothing about what Kojima's plans for the game actually were beyond the fact that gameplay-wise it wasn't going to be that different from previous installments.

I don't see much of a reason to get ultra-excited for something like that with no information, ESPECIALLY post-Death Stranding.

Yeah, Kojima had just enough time to edit P.T. into a secret "konami sux time 2 biggity bounce" message. There was no game.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it's true. God knows Konami isn't gonna do anything meaningful with the IP.

I can actually talk about this a bit. Now keep in my I'm a bit murky on the details, this is from my understanding also, I'm going to try to get what I've heard as accurate as possible but I'm also cutting parts of this out. I'm also about to say some controversial things for some, so be ready. None of this is from any source I personally can verify, but it is what I've heard.

Death Stranding was a flop. It sold well initially, but I've heard it has over 3 million unsold copies of what's been produced, but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping. Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.

So originally Sony and Konami came to a deal when Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill developers, I am not entirely clear on the details but Toyama had been interested in doing a horror game, but the Siren IP is kinda' more of a niche thing and would get a lower budget. Somehow, I wish I was more clear on the details, but SOMEHOW a few variables fells into place that Sony went out of their way to work with Konami to allow Toyama to work on a horror game, but a horror game with more recognition behind it than Siren, which of course I mean Silent Hill. Sony also seemed to have the idea since Death Stranding was a loss for them that getting Kojima to finally work on a horror game like he's been wanting to, have Konami help fit the bill for Kojima's and Toyama's game (as Konami was going to help fund whatever game anyways). There was some Japanese pride on Kojima Pro's side since Death Stranding didn't do too great, so they want to prove themselves more. Sony is fine with that but not to make a game without as bloated of a budget as DS, and they believe that a horror game or even a Silent Hill game as a brand with recognition and already pre-built hype with his named attached might make more financial return for them and be a strong title for their platform. Kojima making a horror game and making Silent Hills has hype behind it, Toyama and Team Silent members returning to make a new Silent Hill game has hype behind it, and Sony and Konami were able to strike a deal that made both parties happy and mutually benefited both of them.

This is a super oversimplification, but basically Konami just wanted someone to make a good Silent Hill game and was willing to fund the pitch they selected, Sony was interested due to what Toyama wanted for his next project and the possibility of getting Kojima to do a smaller budget game after Death Stranding was a failure which they believe would have interest for gamers, and a deal was worked out with Sony and Konami both funding these projects (though let me clarify, the Kojima game is still in the talks at this point in time).

As always, I always appreciate your posts and insights. 3 copies sitting at shelves ls major flop and looking at sales threads it doesn't seem like those units will be moving.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

I never mentioned anything about gameplay, but there were lots of remarkable aspects about P.T. that were of course going to try and be recaptured in the actual Silent Hills game. The experience had scares and designs that the majority of players felt were what a horror game should have. It is one of the few horror experiences that actually could get into the player's head the way some of the best horror movies do.

I can understand the inclusion of Silent Hill staples and such, but I believe everything that was loved about P.T. is going to shape the general feel of the next game.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I just realized...

If the story true about Sony mending relationship between Kojima & Konami, maybe PT demo will be back to PSN.

Also, with Kojima Silent Hills VR rumor, the demo will also updated on VR.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I never mentioned anything about gameplay, but there were lots of remarkable aspects about P.T. that were of course going to try and be recaptured in the actual Silent Hills game. The experience had scares and designs that the majority of players felt were what a horror game should have. It is one of the few horror experiences that actually could get into the player's head the way some of the best horror movies do.

I can understand the inclusion of Silent Hill staples and such, but I believe everything that was loved about P.T. is going to shape the general feel of the next game.

Well, I guess I just hope that whatever this project is, it ISN'T Kojima's project. Because the last thing I want out of Silent Hill is yet another dull first person walking simulator "horror" game full of scripted jump scares.

We have so many of those now. Practically every modern horror game is cut from that cloth. Let us have another character-driven horror game, PLEASE.

That1GoodHunter

Oct 17, 2019
Well, I guess I just hope that whatever this project is, it ISN'T Kojima's project. Because the last thing I want out of Silent Hill is yet another dull first person walking simulator "horror" game full of scripted jump scares.

We have so many of those now. Practically every modern horror game is cut from that cloth. Let us have another character-driven horror game, PLEASE.
The implication from Golem is that the Toyama/Team Siren/SIE Japan project with the old Team Silent members is the main project being pushed by Sony. Kojima's Silent Hills coming back is still not a sure thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Kojima's...Silent Hills?
Aw man sony gonna make me buy a PS5 huh
Because if that game ever happens i will be on whatever platform I need to play it

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not a franchise fan, but I want this to happen.

And on the flip side, Nintendo should do the same in order to get some of the HudsonSoft titles on the Switch.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
WHOA
so does this imply that Sony has bought the Silent Hill IP from Konami.? Because I dint see Konami in 2020 being interested in rebooting a AAA series and giving the game they cancelled forever, to Kojima to make?
Or is it more likely Konami is working with Sony on it and for some reason it is going to be a Sony exclusive?
I. Am. Confused.

but holy shit if this is true and we actually get to find out wtf Silent Hills was gonna be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
WHOA
so does this imply that Sony has bought the Silent Hill IP from Konami.? Because I dint see Konami in 2020 being interested in rebooting a AAA series and giving the game they cancelled forever, to Kojima to make?
Or is it more likely Konami is working with Sony on it and for some reason it is going to be a Sony exclusive?
I. Am. Confused.

but holy shit if this is true and we actually get to find out wtf Silent Hills was gonna be.

No. Konami is keeping the IP.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony should've just made a new I.P and take said (or rather direct seeing as they already work for Sony) people on board

call it LOUD Hills so people get the memo, instead of doing Konami's work for them

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
No. Konami is keeping the IP.
Wow!!
This is really shocking to me then.
I simply can't believe they are diving back in to AAA (in a way). I thought they were done with games other than remasters and rereleases.
So could Kojima be working with Sony and Team Silent on Silent Hills or is it more likely he's not involved??
I'm excited the team is back making a new game and that will probably be great. But seeing what could have become of PT has always been one of this "what if" scenarios I have not been able to forget the last year or so.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony should've just made a new I.P and take said (or rather direct seeing as they already work for Sony) people on board

call it LOUD Hills so people get the memo, instead of doing Konami's work for them
Silent Hill already has a brand name and a fanbase who would love to see a AAA quality game made in today's standards of high production values, polish, and game systems and mechanics.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow!!
This is really shocking to me then.
I simply can't believe they are diving back in to AAA (in a way). I thought they were done with games other than remasters and rereleases.
So could Kojima be working with Sony and Team Silent on Sileny Hills or is it more likely he's not involved??
I'm excited the tram is back making a new game and that will probably be great. But seeing what could have become of PT has always been one of this "what if" scenarios I have not been able to forget the last year or so.

The implication is that this is two games. Apparently Japan Studio, for reasons I cannot fathom, has been roped into developing a Silent Hill game with a couple people who worked on the original series.

And then there's also the rumor that Sony is trying to get Konami to let them let Kojima revive his Silent Hills project in some form, though that one is still in talks and not in active development.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the rumors real? Naughty Dog will be developing with Japan studio, Kojima Productions and Konami? Gorilla Games and Insomniac Games producing, Capcom overseeing animations, Steven Spielberg and Guillermo Del Toro writing the script, Wes Anderson and Milla Jovovich providing stunt work, Billie Eillish composing soundtrack, Nintendo publishing in Japan and Phil Spencer providing Cringe reactions? With Porn Hub sponsoring?

Sign me up baby!

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018

Any word on platforms at this point? Doubtful anyone would know right now though.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
The implication is that this is two games. Apparently Japan Studio, for reasons I cannot fathom, has been roped into developing a Silent Hill game with a couple people who worked on the original series.

And then there's also the rumor that Sony is trying to get Konami to let them let Kojima revive his Silent Hills project in some form, though that one is still in talks and not in active development.

Absolutely shocking news on both fronts wow!
If Konami agrees to let a Kojima, through So y, make Silent Hills, After all the shit that went down, that will be WTF, but SO HYPE!

Im glad I am not the only one who can't fathom Sony being involved at all, especially if the IP stays with Konami. I am not complaining just sorta...shocked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.