• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Umm how is 3

Million a flop?

how is 3 million a flop?
Dusk said 3 million unsold copies. As in they printed 3 million copies that didn't sell.
To give a little bit more context, this was around Christmas time, though I hear sales haven't really accelerated in the last three months and have been pretty slow. The game sold well initially, but kinda' just hasn't had a good tail at all. This also applies to worldwide, but I heard pretty directly there was around 3 million unsold copies in the wild globally after Christmas time.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I wonder who they will hire as technical directors / producers and what engine they will use. Decima, right? Or maybe UE4?

As Ito revealed, Hatakeda was responsible for SH2 and 3 looking as good as they did at the time:

Remember, it wasn't just Ito and Yamaoka who made SH3 so beautiful:

2519d77fb2aaa60661828bab3af74c89.jpg

I wonder where Norihito Hatakeda is now

Last edited:

exstuhsey

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Dec 7, 2019
To give a little bit more context, this was around Christmas time, though I hear sales haven't really accelerated in the last three months and have been pretty slow. The game sold well initially, but kinda' just hasn't had a good tail at all. This also applies to worldwide, but I heard pretty directly there was around 3 million unsold copies in the wild globally after Christmas time.
Damn that's crazy, really loved the game tho.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toyama, Ito, and Yamaoka on board, along with Kojima doing a separate game?

giphy.gif

It might actually be good to be a Silent Hill fan again, assuming it's true.

Jan 20, 2019

yah, accordly to game stats, death strading has around 2,7M players, that should put the sales above 2M, Sony most likely expect to sell around 5M makes sense.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
2) I personally don't understand the 2 streams? Why have two Silent Hill games in development at roughly the same time? It sounds odd to me, especially if both are from prestigious teams. Why not concentrate efforts into one super focused reboot.
Besides what others have said, having multiple games in development is not new to the series. Silent Hill 3 and 4 were both developed simultaneously, as were Origins and Homecoming.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sony has made plenty of stupid decisions in the past and they are not immune to making mistakes. What benefit do they see from spending AAA amounts of money on reviving ANOTHER PUBLISHER'S IP, which they won't be able to control ownership of? Silent Hill was never a massive seller, it was always niche compared to Resident Evil.

A deal like this ABSOLUTELY benefits Konami more than them. Konami gets to clean up and collect free money with zero risk.
It's about defining narratives as the console to play at the beginning of the gen. Similar to FF7, Shenmue 3, Half Life 3, Crash Bandicoot NST. These are prestigious dream titles that get people to buy your console. Sony knows exactly what they are doing. E3 of dreams: Electric Boogaloo here we come!

Oct 28, 2017
Any chance at all we could get a new mgs by going this route of Sony funding it?

But leave the open world and kiefer parts out. Bring back hayter.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can actually talk about this a bit. Now keep in my I'm a bit murky on the details, this is from my understanding also, I'm going to try to get what I've heard as accurate as possible but I'm also cutting parts of this out. I'm also about to say some controversial things for some, so be ready. None of this is from any source I personally can verify, but it is what I've heard.

Death Stranding was a flop. It sold well initially, but I've heard it has over 3 million unsold copies of what's been produced, but the sales kinda' slowed to a crawl and the game hasn't done as well as anyone involved has been hoping. Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.

So originally Sony and Konami came to a deal when Konami was shopping around for Silent Hill developers, I am not entirely clear on the details but Toyama had been interested in doing a horror game, but the Siren IP is kinda' more of a niche thing and would get a lower budget. Somehow, I wish I was more clear on the details, but SOMEHOW a few variables fells into place that Sony went out of their way to work with Konami to allow Toyama to work on a horror game, but a horror game with more recognition behind it than Siren, which of course I mean Silent Hill. Sony also seemed to have the idea since Death Stranding was a loss for them that getting Kojima to finally work on a horror game like he's been wanting to, have Konami help fit the bill for Kojima's and Toyama's game (as Konami was going to help fund whatever game anyways). There was some Japanese pride on Kojima Pro's side since Death Stranding didn't do too great, so they want to prove themselves more. Sony is fine with that but not to make a game without as bloated of a budget as DS, and they believe that a horror game or even a Silent Hill game as a brand with recognition and already pre-built hype with his named attached might make more financial return for them and be a strong title for their platform. Kojima making a horror game and making Silent Hills has hype behind it, Toyama and Team Silent members returning to make a new Silent Hill game has hype behind it, and Sony and Konami were able to strike a deal that made both parties happy and mutually benefited both of them.

This is a super oversimplification, but basically Konami just wanted someone to make a good Silent Hill game and was willing to fund the pitch they selected, Sony was interested due to what Toyama wanted for his next project and the possibility of getting Kojima to do a smaller budget game after Death Stranding was a failure which they believe would have interest for gamers, and a deal was worked out with Sony and Konami both funding these projects (though let me clarify, the Kojima game is still in the talks at this point in time).
If this is true I wish Sony was this eager to please the UK studios that they closed this gen.

And please Sony i'll do everything for a Suikoden

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I mean, I have no opinion on Konami because I was hardly a fan of most their series, but this is a show of caring about the Silent Hill franchise. They seem to want to make the franchise have a grand return partnering with Sony, rather than shopping it off to just anyone because they are only interested in making a quick buck off fans.

They may not be making it themselves, but companies change and we have to live with that. I'd kill if Sonic Team could make a great AAA Sonic game again, but if they chose to hand it to a new impressive developer because they couldn't do it I'd be pretty damn grateful because the game was being made either way. And because I doubt they could do a better job themselves.

Konami may not be full of talented teams anymore and probably will never be known as prominent console publisher again, but Silent Hill returning with Sony backing it is a pretty damn promising reality.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Besides what others have said, having multiple games in development is not new to the series. Silent Hill 3 and 4 were both developed simultaneously, as were Origins and Homecoming.

Sure, but it's irregular to market two games at once, or even that two major games in a series are in development from separate prestigious teams at the same time. There are ways to make it work! So long as there isn't any marketing confusion. It doesn't take much to confuse people. If you can just have a single big game with big names behind it, it's easy to sell.

I'm definitely not try to argue with people. This is super exciting if true!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's about defining narratives as the console to play at the beginning of the gen. Similar to FF7, Shenmue 3, Half Life 3, Crash Bandicoot NST. These are prestigious dream titles that get people to buy your console. Sony knows exactly what they are doing. E3 of dreams: Electric Boogaloo here we come!

I feel like they would be better served by crafting real exclusives rather than funding games that are all destined to come out on PC at least and possibly even more platforms beyond that, but oh well. Jim Ryan-era Sony has pretty much been a non-stop carousel of decisions I disagree with, so I guess I'm not surprised.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
... PS5's release date itself was changed from the time DS started development and release, it pushed back at a point (though given, this point was like a couple years ago), PS5 was originally supposed to be out by the time Death Stranding would come out, but that didn't happen and rather than push it back or extend the budget more it was decided to go full steam ahead for what was expected.

See, I've been told this one wasn't accurate. good to hear it was true

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they would be better served by crafting real exclusives rather than funding games that are all destined to come out on PC at least and possibly even more platforms beyond that, but oh well. Jim Ryan-era Sony has pretty much been a non-stop carousel of decisions I disagree with, so I guess I'm not surprised.
You grab the audience by making the first exclusive. Just look at blood borne, crash and Street Fighter V. They locked those audiences on PlayStation. Who cares if they go multiplat Sony already got the audience for the games on PS.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
See, I've been told this one wasn't accurate. good to hear it was true
What I've heard from a few people is it's complicated, so I'm assuming even though I said it a bit straight-forwardly, it's not quite that straight-forward actually. I do know mainly some third-parties had to push back some plans due to some plans on Sony's side changing though.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I managed to resist buying a PlayStation console for even Bloodborne but if this came to PS5 I don't think I would be able to resist

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Just imagining if Konami starts partnering with Sony to reboot Silent Hill, Suikoden and Castlevania. Probably way too pie in the sky here, I'll GLADLY take Silent Hill with a huge budget and as much involvement from the creator as possible.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I hope this isn't true because my heart won't be able to take it.

Like, come on. Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka coming together for a new Silent Hill game AND Silent Hills is the biggest wet dream for fans. There's no way.

May 26, 2018
Something that wasnt ever a thing in the first place cant be dead.

"team silent" changed members every game with really only Ito and Yamaoka being consistent in the first 4 entries.

It was a band (with lots of super important "second tier" artists who don't get the respect they deserve, but alas...)

The original one was Toyama/Yamaoka/Ito/Sato. Then it went Tsuboyama/Yamaoka/Ito/Sato/Owaku. These were the two big combos that people consider as "Team Silent." It's not an official team but it is a sort of cultural idea headed up by specific artists. Toyama/Yamaoka/Ito is about as close as it gets to a compact reunion without bringing literally everyone back.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being naive. I'm well aware Konami is a pile of shit. Which is why Silent Hill should stay buried instead of Sony basically GIVING KONAMI FREE MONEY for a game that won't even be exclusive.

A deal like this benefits Konami for doing nothing far more than it benefits Sony.
How the hell can you make a beloved series getting revived into a bad thing.

Jesus fucking Christ.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Even if it's all credible info I'm going to go sit in my corner and pout like I have been since SH4 released. SH1/2/3 have a special place in my heart and it's really hard for me to get my hopes up.

In any case I really want Sony to take a crack at some good horror again. Siren PS3 was a let down, considering I never played the originals and didn't like the hide-n-seek gameplay.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
How the hell can you make a beloved series getting revived into a bad thing.

Jesus fucking Christ.

The series should be revived by the publisher that actually owns it. Why should I be happy that Sony is spending money that could go toward new exclusive games reviving an IP they don't own?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm not surprised but it's still a shame to read that Dusk post about Death Stranding. I'm one of the dozens out there who thinks it's a genuinely amazing and unique game.

I would've loved to have seen some sort of sequel.

But anyway, I'm fucking waaayyyy in for checking out anything new Silent Hill.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Sony is really all in on horror zombie titles, I guess.

Not like we don't have 4-5 from Sony/Capcom in a two year span?

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The series should be revived by the publisher that actually owns it. Why should I be happy that Sony is spending money that could go toward new exclusive games reviving an IP they don't own?

But what makes you think Konami is in any position to revive it themselves? Would you rather they do a subpar game without making a big splash (as that is the most likely outcome with a solo venture) or have the industry leader have direct involvement with the development and fund the revival with them?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I had a feeling like this was going to happen, especially after what happened with Super Bomberman R and Momotaro Densetsu. Konami seems to be just fine handing out licenses and letting interested parties have at it, as long as they presumably get their cut.

Now, can SOMEONE bother to fund a Castlevania game, please?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But what makes you think Konami is in any position to revive it themselves? Would you rather they do a subpar game without making a big splash (as that is the most likely outcome with a solo venture) or have the industry leader have direct involvement with the development and fund the revival with them?

I would consider it a proper challenge for Konami to prove they actually still care about gaming. It could only be a GOOD thing to light a fire under Konami's ass and get them to give a shit again. Maybe we could get a new Castlevania or a Suikoden or something if Konami decided to reignite their commitment to gaming.

Instead, Sony is spending a bunch of money, that could have gone toward a new IP and an exclusive for the PS5, funding a project that they don't own, that also means Konami doesn't have to put in any effort but they get paid anyway. Why is that better?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would consider it a proper challenge for Konami to prove they actually still care about gaming. It could only be a GOOD thing to light a fire under Konami's ass and get them to give a shit again. Maybe we could get a new Castlevania or a Suikoden or something if Konami decided to reignite their commitment to gaming.

Instead, Sony is spending a bunch of money, that could have gone toward a new IP and an exclusive for the PS5, funding a project that they don't own, that also means Konami doesn't have to put in any effort but they get paid anyway. Why is that better?
I already told you why it benefits Sony. You just don't want to agree. You get the audience with the first title being exclusive. Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.