• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will the game show in August after being a bust in June?

• Yes

Votes: 653 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 1,147 63.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Neither IP is big. Silent Hill was always a niche horror series, as was Siren. That doesn't mean it's BAD, but Sony throwing huge amounts of money at an IP they don't own, can't control, and that will automatically go multiplatform is a stupid move.

What? It would be no different than Nintendo funding Bayonetta 2. Which, as you notice, isn't multiplatform and has an exclusive sequel on the way.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If Sony somehow pull off a silent hills reboot headed by kojima this forum and the Internet will collapse. What a megaton that would be for the ps5 even if it only came out in 22/23.

After the gen they've just had Sony certainly aren't resting on their laurels. They deserve my purchase of the ps5 and they'll get it!

Sony is pretty quiet these days..

The hype will only be bigger.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
In the mean time, Sonami

-Free P.T.
-Put Bluepoint on a proper Remastered Collection
-Do a Netflix series with Robert Eggers

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in, if true. Hell, get Bluepoint or Hexadrive to eventually put out a proper remaster of the original games.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
1) This makes so much sense. It would be an immediate system seller. Silent Hill 1 & 2 are classic Playstation titles, and with Sony's production bandwidth could be amazing.

2) I personally don't understand the 2 streams? Why have two Silent Hill games in development at roughly the same time? It sounds odd to me, especially if both are from prestigious teams. Why not concentrate efforts into one super focused reboot.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
A new Silent Hill would be the best selling game in the franchise, riding on the back of everything that happened with PT. I really think you're downplaying just what a massive story the PT cancellation was. The drama that ensued catapulted Silent Hill into the forefront of everyone's minds. A Silent Hills revival would be even bigger news than it's cancellation, which is to say, huge.
The time to ride the hype of P.T. is past imo. Resident Evil 7 was the game that made use of that with its first demo, and by the time a actual SH revival actually begins development people won't really care for it on the merits of P.T.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Death Stranding was also originally supposed to be a very different game, a lot darker and more horror-esque, but around a year and a half before launch the development got soft rebooted. Sony and Kojima had some disagreements, and some other studios at Sony's Worldwide Studios were a bit upset at the money Kojima was getting for the game, along with disagreements lead to Death Stranding not ending up as a PS5 game and a sharper window for release even after the soft reboot. There's a looooot more here, but this is the part I'll share that's relevant.
Not sure about the rest of the post but I don't think you source is accurate about this. Since day 1 Kojima was always consistent about the release date. Also don't see how the game could have been soft booted a year and a half before release if Kojima came to E3 2018 with that gameplay reveal trailer that ended up being exactly what DS turned out to be.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) This makes so much sense. It would be an immediate system seller. Silent Hill 1 & 2 are classic Playstation titles, and with Sony's production bandwidth could be amazing.

2) I personally don't understand the 2 streams? Why have two Silent Hill games in development at roughly the same time? It sounds odd to me, especially if both are from prestigious teams. Why not concentrate efforts into one super focused reboot.
One would be a "regular" game and the other would be VR.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

The smaller episodic game by Kojima would work as a hype builder the way that PT rocked the world in 2015, paving way for the full reboot release by Ito, Yamaoka, and Toyama and the rest.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about the rest of the post but I don't think you source is accurate about this. Since day 1 Kojima was always consistent about the release date. Also don't see how the game could have been soft booted a year and a half before release if Kojima came to E3 2018 with that gameplay reveal trailer that ended up being exactly what DS turned out to be.
The entire development wasn't scrapped and redone to my knowledge, but a lot changed. A lot was retained, but a lot of ideas didn't make the cut and some aspects and focuses of the game changed. I also can't get much into this but PS5's release date itself was changed from the time DS started development and release, it pushed back at a point (though given, this point was like a couple years ago), PS5 was originally supposed to be out by the time Death Stranding would come out, but that didn't happen and rather than push it back or extend the budget more it was decided to go full steam ahead for what was expected.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018

The art book shows off some horrific imagery. The game was definitely changed in some aspects.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a perfect combo for me.

- Main series Silent Hill soft reboot by Silent Team exclusive for PS5 to sell the console to single player fans and nostalgic people.

AND

- Silent Hills by Kojima makes a return as an episodic VR enhanced game to sell PSVR2 and and engage the YouTube community of new fans and please older fans with more Silent Hill.

It makes perfect sense. Please be real.

You should give your résumé to Sony

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
If this is true I think there would be at least a year or 2 between each title if the reboot has been in production for a year and Sony is still in negotiation with Konami for silent hills.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The smaller episodic game by Kojima would work as a hype builder the way that PT rocked the world in 2015, paving way for the full reboot release by Ito, Yamaoka, and Toyama and the rest.

I still think it's an odd idea to split the efforts and marketing like that. Especially if they both have incredibly different direction. In my opinion, it makes the story sound a bit fishy. However, the idea of Sony working with Konami to bring Silent Hill back as a prestige series makes an enormous amount of sense.

Woodbeam

May 6, 2019
Not sure that it's the most responsible thing to be reporting on the Kojima side of this rumor if it's still something that's only being discussed internally and not in active development. Also, are we taking the claims from that new, seemingly unverified account at face value? Claiming not only knowledge of this project that's supposedly still in talks but of its specific nature (as a game designed for unnanounced hardware to boot) is... a lot. I mean, it sounds incredible as a fan of the franchise and lover of P.T., but even the idea of two concurrent SIlent Hill reboots sounds very fishy.

The SIE/Toyama led project, on the other hand, seems much more solid. That tweet from Ito basically calls it out directly. After over 15 years it's impossible to imagine what members of Team Silent returning to the franchise will look like. Just that announcement will be absolutely explosive.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I still think it's an odd idea to split the efforts and marketing like that. Especially if they both have incredibly different direction. In my opinion, it makes the story sound a bit fishy. However, the idea of Sony working with Konami to bring Silent Hill back as a prestige series makes an enormous amount of sense.

Were you there when PT came out in 2015? It was huge and really made a big impact on gaming culture that people still remember today. The smaller budget VR release by Kojima fits perfectly into this and is also the same guy who was behind PT in the first place. It makes perfect sense.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Holy Mother of fuck

Both Kojima AND Toyama developing Silent Hill (and Hills) ?

Absolute DREAM scenario

Jan 20, 2019
Not sure that it's the most responsible thing to be reporting on the Kojima side of this rumor if it's still something that's only being discussed internally and not in active development. Also, are we taking the claims from that new, seemingly unverified account at face value? Claiming not only knowledge of this project that's supposedly still in talks but of its specific nature (as a game designed for unnanounced hardware to boot) is... a lot. I mean, it sounds incredible as a fan of the franchise and lover of P.T., but even the idea of two concurrent SIlent Hill reboots sounds very fishy.

The SIE/Toyama led project, on the other hand, seems much more solid. That tweet from Ito basically calls it out directly. After over 15 years it's impossible to imagine what members of Team Silent returning to the franchise will look like. Just that announcement will be absolutely explosive.

The source is a mod here, not some new account.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I can't even begin to express how glad I am that Sony gave priority to getting the main deal for the reboot/Revival for Toyama, team Siren, and the OG Team Silent members.

Can't think of a more deserving group of creatives to get the gig.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017

Let me clarify, I actually was in doubts myself to share the Kojima, but some others wanted to share it and I understand it makes the story spicier. Even if everything I've shared is 100% true like I believe it is, the Kojima thing is ambiguous in if it'll even turn into something right now or not, there's just been talks about it.

I also had some thoughts on sharing it when it's not even a done deal yet, though maybe in the best case scenario this blowing up some will lead to a positive outcome if seen there's still interest in it. That is the hope on my part, though I dread it also might make things fall apart.

However, ultimately this part wasn't really my call, there was things circulating that kinda' got to a point it was going to come out of someone one way or another here, so here we are.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Were you there when PT came out in 2015? It was huge and really made a big impact on gaming culture that people still remember today. The smaller budget VR release by Kojima fits perfectly into this and is also the same guy who was behind PT in the first place. It makes perfect sense.

If this is all real, then maybe you will be right. PT is Kojima and team's best game, in my opinion. I personally like constrained Kojima best, and that was his most constrained work. So yeah, it would be great to get more of that! If it's just used as a hype piece, then sure!

Jan 20, 2019
Let me clarify, I actually was in doubts myself to share the Kojima, but some others wanted to share it and I understand it makes the story spicier. Even if everything I've shared is 100% true like I believe it is, the Kojima thing is ambiguous in if it'll even turn into something right now or not, there's just been talks about it.

I also had some thoughts on sharing it when it's not even a done deal yet, though maybe in the best case scenario this blowing up some will lead to a positive outcome if seen there's still interest in it. That is the hope on my part, though I dread it also might make things fall apart.

However, ultimately this part wasn't really my call, there was things circulating that kinda' got to a point it was going to come out of someone one way or another here, so here we are.

And thank you for that.

Prety sure the news will explode tomorow and maybe good news will come out of that.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, everything keeps repeating reboot, but afaik both the article and dusk specify soft reboot, which means theyre still keeping to canon

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I personally don't understand the 2 streams? Why have two Silent Hill games in development at roughly the same time? It sounds odd to me, especially if both are from prestigious teams. Why not concentrate efforts into one super focused reboot.
Because the lore of Silent Hill allows it to become a semi anthology series and Silent Hills is obviously in earlier development than the Team Silent project (dear God my hands shook writing that phrase)

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Sounds good, but also sounds too good to be true. I guess we just wait and see.

I'm assuming the PS5 reveal would be where we see if this is real or not.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Because the lore of Silent Hill allows it to become a semi anthology series and Silent Hills is obviously in earlier development than the team silent project (dear God my hands shoke writing that phrase)

Team Silent isn't a thing. You might get a couple of people who used to be involved in the old games but that team is dead with a capital D.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Team Silent isn't a thing. You might get a couple of people who used to be involved in the old games but that team is dead with a capital D.
Something that wasnt ever a thing in the first place cant be dead.

"team silent" changed members every game with really only Ito and Yamaoka being consistent in the first 4 entries.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Toyama, Ito and Yamaoka are Team Silent for all that matters. Even Ito was barely part of the team,the other two were the omly constants, however he's a great director and it's nice to have him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.